View Poll Results: What do you thnk of the rumoured plans for Toy Story Land?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ouch! That's just plain awful!

15 32.61%
  • Hmmm... I will wait and see.

24 52.17%
  • Oooh! That sounds great!

5 10.87%
  • Ermmm... Some other response.

2 4.35%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Geoff London

Re: Toy Story Land - Your opinions please!

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Why?

I personally think that although the theming sounds a little *ahem* 'extreme', WDS needs something so why not this? Since its part of Toon Studios its potential gaudiness should not be an issue and as for the heavy Pixar presence in the park - where would Disney be without Pixar these days?*
    The Pixar area of Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida works quite well accommodating the Midway Mania and also a character meet & greet. If it was "integrated" at WDS with existing Pixar attractions I can't see a problem. Let's face it WDS was a pretty grim park before ToT and the Toon area were added - and, yes, a few more toons around the place wouldn't hurt. An additional thought: One thing I would pull out of WDS is that dreadful bit of the so called backstage tour where the dragon is supposed to be attacking London. It's a waste of land that could be better developed. I mean - tons of bricks and two jets of fire - how exciting is that?
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

Blog Entries

Hello, there is more about this Toy Story Land project for the WDS with a long article on Disney and more today here:

Disney and more: New " Toy Story Land " will open at Walt Disney Studios in 2010

-

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Well, thankfully, children love lots of things. Otherwise they'd surely be insulted that Hollywood has the audacity to sell them that Spongebob Squarepants crap. They'd sue the cereal manufacturers for giving them artificially colored breakfasts with no nutritional value whatsoever. They'd realize that Cartoon Network has really gone downhill since the 1990s.

It's sort of like when you see a movie with someone who's baked (it's happened to all of us). They will have a good time whether you see Gigli or Brokeback Mountain or the back of their hand, they just enjoy being out and seeing all kinds of pretty colors. You however will care.

(This is all by way of saying that yes, these rides are for children, but think of the adults who still spend hours on forums like this, wasting away their lives while telling themselves that discussing Disney theme parks is a valid and worthy pastime, haha. Surely they deserve a little something too.)
    I went through many different emotions while reading this post Puss. From amusement through nausia (at the mention of Gigli) to confusion - your points hardly support your argument although they are, as always, very entertaining and most welcomed.

Sadly 'baked' is what most of the general public are (although perhaps not literally). Pretty colours and loud noises tend to distract the vast majority into accepting PT Barnum's patter as well as living up to his most famous quote. Disney it would seem have cottoned onto this and are saving money by serving up McDonalds instead of sirloin.

However, there is nothing wrong with some bright colours and loud noises in the right place and in the right context put there for the right reasons - which is what I put Toy Story Land down as.

How many times have people griped about the state of WDS on this forum? That WDS has so few 'kid friendly' attractions? That they are short of a few retail outlets and restaurants (bizarre considering the glut of of these things in the other park and the village)? Toy Story Land by this token, is a step in the right direction surely?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Back to the “Fantasyland had Teacups” thing –

The reason it works in Fantasyland is that point of each attraction was to allow you to experience a character’s story. Walt and company selected to best way to do that given the technology of the time. You want to fly with Dumbo? – then the twirling carnival mechanism was the best you could get. It got you up in the air “flying” with just like the character. You want to experience the zaniness of the Mad Hatter’s tea party – then spinning about in giant cups is pretty good. ‘Crush’ from TDS is a great example of this two – who doesn’t want to go surfing with Crush and what better way to get that feeling of being swept away in a massive current than a roller coaster?

The problem is that these days Disney isn’t interested in story. They select a cheap, prefab ride mechanism and then decorate it with debris from whichever franchise needs the merchandise boost. It’s the exact opposite of things are supposed to go. Everyone who watches Peter Pan wants to go flying over London – and that’s what the old ride offers.

But who watches Toy Story and says “I really want to ride Slinky Dog while he chases his tail”?

There is a lot that can be done with the concepts – but Disney is taking the cheap and easy way out once again.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    I went through many different emotions while reading this post Puss. From amusement through nausia (at the mention of Gigli) to confusion - your points hardly support your argument although they are, as always, very entertaining and most welcomed.
    And that's why I avoid politics.

Sadly 'baked' is what most of the general public are (although perhaps not literally). Pretty colours and loud noises tend to distract the vast majority into accepting PT Barnum's patter as well as living up to his most famous quote. Disney it would seem have cottoned onto this and are saving money by serving up McDonalds instead of sirloin.

However, there is nothing wrong with some bright colours and loud noises in the right place and in the right context put there for the right reasons - which is what I put Toy Story Land down as.

How many times have people griped about the state of WDS on this forum? That WDS has so few 'kid friendly' attractions? That they are short of a few retail outlets and restaurants (bizarre considering the glut of of these things in the other park and the village)? Toy Story Land by this token, is a step in the right direction surely?
    PT Barnum, haha. Well, I suppose people were hoping the standards had been raised with the Tower of Terror. They might still be up there, but things don't sound too promising. The idea is in the right direction, but there is a Dinoland USA way of doing this and a Mermaid Lagoon one.

And do you mean there will be restaurants and stores? Will read that article more carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Voice View Post
    Back to the “Fantasyland had Teacups” thing –

The reason it works in Fantasyland is that point of each attraction was to allow you to experience a character’s story. Walt and company selected to best way to do that given the technology of the time. You want to fly with Dumbo? – then the twirling carnival mechanism was the best you could get. It got you up in the air “flying” with just like the character. You want to experience the zaniness of the Mad Hatter’s tea party – then spinning about in giant cups is pretty good. ‘Crush’ from TDS is a great example of this two – who doesn’t want to go surfing with Crush and what better way to get that feeling of being swept away in a massive current than a roller coaster?

The problem is that these days Disney isn’t interested in story. They select a cheap, prefab ride mechanism and then decorate it with debris from whichever franchise needs the merchandise boost. It’s the exact opposite of things are supposed to go. Everyone who watches Peter Pan wants to go flying over London – and that’s what the old ride offers.

But who watches Toy Story and says “I really want to ride Slinky Dog while he chases his tail”?

There is a lot that can be done with the concepts – but Disney is taking the cheap and easy way out once again.
    I think that is an excellent point. Well done.

(Although that argument could actually work in the Magic Carpets' advantage — surely lots of kids who saw Aladdin wanted to go for a magic carpet ride. But in that particular case, I think, it's still about context; neither that bushy corner of the Magic Kingdom's Adventureland nor that awful backdrop at the Studios are anywhere near as befitting as Fantasyland's gardens. I'm sure you could do a better job explaining why it doesn't work, possibly using the phrase "as an afterthought" a lot.)

I would also like to give props to the Astro Orbiters and Orbitron, by the way. Here, they don't even look like carnival rides, they're just elegant landmarks that form a part of the kinetic skylines of their respective lands. Marvelous.

Things just feel so badly thought through, so PowerPointy nowadays. You know, "Well folks, according to this graph right here, we need more kiddie rides. People like that eh, Toy Story movie, don't they? Umberto and Jonathan, why don't you get on that. I'd like sketches and figures on my desk by the end of the day." As opposed to that picture we all have in our heads of the Imagineers thinking up crazy idea after crazy idea, painting concept art of far-fetched concepts whilst wearing Aloha shirts. It's just not the same.

Things just feel so badly thought through, so PowerPointy nowadays.

Exactly. At both Disneyland and Disneyland Paris you step into the original parks and you sense a confidence, a joy, a sense that everyone who worked on the place wants to yell “look at we can create!” as you walk through down the paths.

But in the companions, California Adventure and Disney Studios Paris, you don’t get a sense that any effort was put into it at all. Both parks have the design flair and care of a suburban Taco Bell – they strove to find the least amount of décor required for the sake of branding and not a penny more. There is a sense that the designers were not up to a challenge, that they were frightened by deviating from the template. Neither park feels like it wants to be an enjoyable theme park; instead it’s just a container for brand experiences, franchise extensions and cross-platform promotion.

There’s no sense of passion in “Army Men Parachute Drop”, no sense of pride or excitement or wonder. Just a fulfillment of an action item from a corporate presentation.

As for the ‘Magic Carpet’, yes you could make the Dumbo argument here. But then hasn’t technology and ride systems progressed just a little in the half century between Walk’s time and ours? Given everything that’s possible, making another spinner is very, very pathetic.

• Banned User

The Aladdin Magic Carpets were nothing more than a cop-out that says "Here's the Aladdin attraction everyone wanted, get off our backs." when the only attraction that could possibly do justice to the movie is a Peter Pan-style dark ride on Magic Carpets. However, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if that idea might be gaining favor in Disney with the Little Mermaid attraction being built at DCA, since The Little Mermaid is a film that is an untapped resource in terms of attractions, and Aladdin, Lion King, and Beauty and The Beast are the same way.

Back on the subject of Disneyland Paris and this poor excuse for a land, I'm hoping Disney will find a more appropriate theme for these attractions. It's Toon Studios, and they could easily use Classic Characters as part of these attractions. There's no Toon in Toon Studios without a major precense of Mickey and Friends.

• Minion

Meaningless rides added to what I consider the poorest excuse for a Disney Park. If they wanted an area for the little kiddies why not build another ToonTown which would be thematically appropriate to Hollywood (perhaps substituting a Toy Story Mania ride in place of Roger Rabit Car Toon Spin which probably couldn't be built now due to the legal probs with Amblin). Hope the Ratatouille ride comes along...it may have no thematic connection to Hollywood either (other than being a Hollywood film)...but at least the LPS should hopefully mean a quality ride.
    Down with the Hat

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post

And do you mean there will be restaurants and stores? Will read that article more carefully.

The plan does not specifically mention retail or food outlets but surely with such a major addition to the park (leading to a lot more kids through the gates) I would have thought at least one of each will be added into the mix.

All of the above arguments and opinions have been very well put forward and I cannot really disagree with any of them (although that's never stopped me before...). Toy Story Land does sound like a cheap money spinner that was created as a result of a focus group - the kid of thing that Disney Animation has distanced itself fromn since JL took over (Pocahontas 4: Scalp Happy et al). But...

I'm sorry, but I can't help looking forward to this happening (if it does). You gotta admit it sounds kinda fun!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by Another Voice View Post
    [size=3][/color]

As for the ‘Magic Carpet’, yes you could make the Dumbo argument here. But then hasn’t technology and ride systems progressed just a little in the half century between Walk’s time and ours? Given everything that’s possible, making another spinner is very, very pathetic.
    I am swayed by this part of your argument. To my mind there is no Disney ride / attraction that comes anywhere close to the technological excitement of the Spiderman ride at Universal's Isles of Adventure (not even the Indiana Jones ride at DL). It would be fantasic if a whole new concept could be based on the best ride experience available. But given the economic climate I doubt this would happen for a while. I realise an intense ride isn't what is wanted for "kiddie" rides but some more thought and input into new ideas wouldn't go amiss.

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    However, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if that idea might be gaining favor in Disney with the Little Mermaid attraction being built at DCA, since The Little Mermaid is a film that is an untapped resource in terms of attractions.
    There were rumours of a possible Little Mermaid ride - the concept video was on the special features of the last DVd of the film:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=fBUMRk-nkdA

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    There were rumours of a possible Little Mermaid ride - the concept video was on the special features of the last DVd of the film:
    YouTube - The Little Mermaid - The Ride That Almost Was!

Indeed. This is a concept that has been kicking around almost since the movie came out. However, LM is surely rumoured to be getting placed into Fantasyland at DLP?
    As for WDS - ToT, Toon Studios and Stitch Live have certainly made it a more attractive prospect to your average ticket holder. I believe that Toy Story Land, whether it is a cheap Band-aid idea or not, will attract people across from its sister park.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

well carnival ride again we ll see there is one Carnival ride that the US Parks dont have yet .

The Half Pipe Coaster .

YouTube - Intamin Half Pipe prototype

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLRP_bopazot View Post
    well carnival ride again we ll see there is one Carnival ride that the US Parks dont have yet .

The Half Pipe Coaster .

YouTube - Intamin Half Pipe prototype
    Thanks for that. I was actually wondering what a 'half pipe coaster' was but didn't want to look stupid!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Live from Progress City

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    It's Toon Studios, yet the real toons (Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Minnie, Pluto, Daisy, Chip, and Dale) aren't even present. Wouldn't a Midway Mania-style attraction themed to Mickey and friends fit better?
    YES.

But sadly apparently the Disney company produced nothing before 1989.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast