View Poll Results: What do you thnk of the rumoured plans for Toy Story Land?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ouch! That's just plain awful!

15 32.61%
  • Hmmm... I will wait and see.

24 52.17%
  • Oooh! That sounds great!

5 10.87%
  • Ermmm... Some other response.

2 4.35%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Live from Progress City

Re: Toy Story Land - Your opinions please!

This is an excellent, excellent post and it puts into words a certain feeling that I've never been able to sufficiently verbalize.

It's true that the ride system used to be created to suit the material. Look at something like Peter Pan's Flight - they had to invent that ride system specifically to suit that purpose. The Omnimovers weren't bought off the shelf... they had to invent those too.

Nowadays themes are picked to slap on a ride regardless of whether it has meaning to the ride itself or within the surrounding areas as a whole. You're absolutely right in that the parks have become mere containers for individual, franchise-based attractions. There are hundreds of theme parks in the world that do that - Disney's franchises are just more famous. Very few do what Disney used to do, which was create environments and fill them with attractions that would allow guests to live out adventures they couldn't have in the real world.

We're well into the era of "cement lot filled with rides" - that concept is well illustrated by DCA and DSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Voice View Post
    Back to the “Fantasyland had Teacups” thing –

The reason it works in Fantasyland is that point of each attraction was to allow you to experience a character’s story. Walt and company selected to best way to do that given the technology of the time. You want to fly with Dumbo? – then the twirling carnival mechanism was the best you could get. It got you up in the air “flying” with just like the character. You want to experience the zaniness of the Mad Hatter’s tea party – then spinning about in giant cups is pretty good. ‘Crush’ from TDS is a great example of this two – who doesn’t want to go surfing with Crush and what better way to get that feeling of being swept away in a massive current than a roller coaster?

The problem is that these days Disney isn’t interested in story. They select a cheap, prefab ride mechanism and then decorate it with debris from whichever franchise needs the merchandise boost. It’s the exact opposite of things are supposed to go. Everyone who watches Peter Pan wants to go flying over London – and that’s what the old ride offers.

But who watches Toy Story and says “I really want to ride Slinky Dog while he chases his tail”?

There is a lot that can be done with the concepts – but Disney is taking the cheap and easy way out once again.

At one hand I think it is good that the studios remain expanding. They really need it.

However I think the Toy Story franchise is to fragmentated in the resort. First there is Pizza Planet. Losely at the other side of DL there is Buzz. Now a third part will be added in WDS as Toon Studios. I think it is too much on too many places. I would have prefered the Buzz of Toy Story Mania ride in the Studios. Along with that replace the Pizza Planet restaurant to the studio's. That would have been much better to me.
    Another option was the origanlly initiated A Bug's Life part of the studios. I think that would work better and would offer more. Now it is more of the same theme.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by *TIMMIE* View Post
    Another option was the origanlly initiated A Bug's Life part of the studios. I think that would work better and would offer more. Now it is more of the same theme.
    Yes but A Bugs Life has hardly gone down as a classic Pixar movie that people remember (although I think it's under rated). Toy Story is ever popular, due for a return (as I have already stated the first two get re-released in 3D this year and part 3 next year) and is perhaps most importantly marketable.

BTW Welcome to MiceChat Timmie
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Thanks Nathan. I've read these forum for quite a while now.

I understand that A Bug's Life is not the best movie to use in this park. Allthough they also could choose a different Pixar or Disney movie (Monsters inc, Up!, Wall-e, Bolt, ...). The main point I am trying to make is that Toy Story is being used to much. However you certainly got a point by stating the theatrical rerelease of the movies are a good marketingopportunity. Allthough it can work against DLRP while people get tired of to much Toy Story at to many places.

Quote Originally Posted by *TIMMIE* View Post
    Thanks Nathan. I've read these forum for quite a while now.

I understand that A Bug's Life is not the best movie to use in this park. Allthough they also could choose a different Pixar or Disney movie (Monsters inc, Up!, Wall-e, Bolt, ...). The main point I am trying to make is that Toy Story is being used to much. However you certainly got a point by stating the theatrical rerelease of the movies are a good marketingopportunity. Allthough it can work against DLRP while people get tired of to much Toy Story at to many places.
    But Bugs Life has already been done in Carny style and I suppose if we're going to keep with these odd filler concentrations we might as well give each one a different brand to toss about.

In some ways I'm fine with a certain degree of filler but I'm going to honestly say the Fantasyland rides are ignorable because there's what three of them? deffused by about three darkrides in most MK's and even more darkrides/boatrides and other such in Disneyland. But now we're suddenly seen them thrown up in groups of five with the ringer ride being a slightly better carny ride then the norm.

It creates just an odd since of place

I also really hate how they're doing this whole toon thing in Paris, it seems as though it's an excuse to be inconsistent and throw in a bunch of Pixar. I mean outside the whole "true" toons arguement which I tend to agree with (Pixar isn't quite toons) I would argue that Toontown is ussualy shown to have a better consistancy then this (even in the origional movie were you had mixed franchises from all over, the town looked solidly consistent in design)

It seems more like it'll become more fair like and random all the time.

It also feels a little soon to be expanding the Toon Studio (which isn't really much of a studio is it?) it's like I'd perfer to see them expand some other area of the park but then I suppose that just draws in the realization that Disney probably has no clue how to expand the rest of the park

very dissapointing, I really wish they'd axe the stuff that reaches too high to the skyline and instead just drop down a Midway Mania clone since that would do better for the kiddies. If they want to do a coaster they can easily do it in some other section of the park, even if they just strap some sort of camera/lighting rig to it and try to sell it as some sort of a stunt show ride (wow I'd say light show but then I remembered their version of RnRC has that one called already)

• Rock The World

Sorry I've been so quiet of late - I have been lurking in the shadows, reading the threads and trying to make my mind up about the whole Toy Story Land thing. And to be honest, I'm still not sure whether I like the idea or not. On the one hand, the park badly needs some extra capacity and visual interest, which these rides promise to deliver both quickly and cheaply. Plus, as has already been mentioned, the timing seems to be pretty much on the button, what with the resurgence of interest in the franchise that's bound to accompany the re-releases and third film. And lastly, these rides are only supposed to be temporary. Right? (Right?)

On the other hand, does visual interest really mean visual flair? The description leaked onto the internet makes it sound big and bold and brassy, which could be great. It could also be downright fugly. After all, what are the surroundings going to be like? Will there be some sort of visual screen separating the new land from the rest of the park? (If they paint the rear wall of Disney Animation to look like the wallpaper in Andy's room, this could be quite effective). Or are we going to be faced with giant robots, building blocks and day-glo plastic monkeys against a backdrop of trees, studio trams and the Tower of Terror?

As for the rides themselves, I don't have any particular problem with the parachute drop or even the slinky dog music coaster. (Even if I'm beginning to think they should re-name Toon Studios as "Twelve Types of Spinning Land"). It's the half pipe coaster I'm having trouble with. I just don't see how they can theme it to make it look good. But then, I'm not an Imagineer, and I'm happy to wait for the first concept artworks to leak out before I pass any real judgement.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    Sorry I've been so quiet of late - I have been lurking in the shadows, reading the threads and trying to make my mind up about the whole Toy Story Land thing. And to be honest, I'm still not sure whether I like the idea or not. On the one hand, the park badly needs some extra capacity and visual interest, which these rides promise to deliver both quickly and cheaply. Plus, as has already been mentioned, the timing seems to be pretty much on the button, what with the resurgence of interest in the franchise that's bound to accompany the re-releases and third film. And lastly, these rides are only supposed to be temporary. Right? (Right?)

On the other hand, does visual interest really mean visual flair? The description leaked onto the internet makes it sound big and bold and brassy, which could be great. It could also be downright fugly. After all, what are the surroundings going to be like? Will there be some sort of visual screen separating the new land from the rest of the park? (If they paint the rear wall of Disney Animation to look like the wallpaper in Andy's room, this could be quite effective). Or are we going to be faced with giant robots, building blocks and day-glo plastic monkeys against a backdrop of trees, studio trams and the Tower of Terror?

As for the rides themselves, I don't have any particular problem with the parachute drop or even the slinky dog music coaster. (Even if I'm beginning to think they should re-name Toon Studios as "Twelve Types of Spinning Land"). It's the half pipe coaster I'm having trouble with. I just don't see how they can theme it to make it look good. But then, I'm not an Imagineer, and I'm happy to wait for the first concept artworks to leak out before I pass any real judgement.
    I agree with all of above sentiments entirely.

And I can add that the very idea of a 'Toy Story Land' was enough to send 6 year old NDJnr into excitement overdrive (followed by "erm, sorry son but won't be built for at least two years - if at all". Talk about a letdown!)
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Dancing through life

I am happy for them to put temporary loosely themed rides in the studios. I think at the moment it just needs bulking up. The Tower of Terror and Crush are my favourites in the park an both often have huge queues.

What I would hate is for anything in the Studios to affect the Disneyland park too much, A tall ride that you can see from the riverboat in Frontier Land is a bad thing in my books (not sure how much, if any, of the studios is visable from Disneyland Park). To me when you are in FrontierLand it should be 100% with no reminders you are really on the outskirts of Paris.

• Banned User

I do not have an opinion nor care to offer one based on rumors. Gimme the hard facts and the real thing, then I will offer an opinion. Plus, I hate silly polls.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fiyero View Post
    I am happy for them to put temporary loosely themed rides in the studios. I think at the moment it just needs bulking up. The Tower of Terror and Crush are my favourites in the park an both often have huge queues.
    The huge queues can probably be put down to the fact that these two rides are the only two attractions in WDS that have universal appeal. Toy Story Land will certainly attract visitors too but the capacities of those rides is a worry and perhaps these rides will only appeal to the 'Magic Carpets Over Agrabah' crowd (ie kids).

Question: - 'Toy Story Land' is what this area has been monikered (perhaps not officially), so will it be part of Toon Studios or are they going to do a 'Toontown Fair' with it and make it stand-alone? If this happens I would like to think that they may also do some development work on TS at the same time to make it more 'toony'. Even a few big posters, murals or crazy photo-op props would be nice.
    Last edited by nathan detroit; 01-24-2009 at 03:52 AM.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    One thing I would pull out of WDS is that dreadful bit of the so called backstage tour where the dragon is supposed to be attacking London. It's a waste of land that could be better developed. I mean - tons of bricks and two jets of fire - how exciting is that?
    Funny, I prefer that to the stupid Crush Culture. The London set has an amazing level of detail I expect of Disney. Crush is a stupid ride with the only AA's that young and old cannot enjoy.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    However, there is nothing wrong with some bright colours and loud noises in the right place and in the right context put there for the right reasons - which is what I put Toy Story Land down as.

How many times have people griped about the state of WDS on this forum? That WDS has so few 'kid friendly' attractions? That they are short of a few retail outlets and restaurants (bizarre considering the glut of of these things in the other park and the village)? Toy Story Land by this token, is a step in the right direction surely?
    Nope, it is not a step in the right direction, it is the wrong one. Toons are dumb. They do not add value. and frankly they do talk down to kids (how many would ride the U coaster anyway, just like Crush is not family friendly either.

WDI especially in Paris suck and so do most of the Euro fans.

IASW, Pirates of the caribbean, Phantom Manor are all family friendly and do not talk down. I can go 20 miles and spend far less time and money to stick my kids are carnival rides. Disney has lost it, and to be frank, are likely to lose my loyal custom and the £100,000's of customer I have given them over the last 30 odd years.

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    The idea is in the right direction, but there is a Dinoland USA way of doing this and a Mermaid Lagoon one.
    Both are crap, but one is definitely less crap than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    T Evan a few big posters, murals or crazy photo-op props would be nice.
    Don't hold your breath, given that's what Guido and Luigi were supposed to be, and now there are big ole fences around them. Toon Studios was a mistake (or at least the execution).

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Nope, it is not a step in the right direction, it is the wrong one. Toons are dumb. They do not add value. and frankly they do talk down to kids (how many would ride the U coaster anyway, just like Crush is not family friendly either.

WDI especially in Paris suck and so do most of the Euro fans.

IASW, Pirates of the caribbean, Phantom Manor are all family friendly and do not talk down. I can go 20 miles and spend far less time and money to stick my kids are carnival rides. Disney has lost it, and to be frank, are likely to lose my loyal custom and the £100,000's of customer I have given them over the last 30 odd years.

Dave, I respect your opinion and can see where you are coming from.

But what do your children think of the idea of TSL?

I seem to recall that your son recently attended DLP in a Buzz Lightyear costume and that both your children regularly meet and get photographed with the 'rubber heads'.

As someone who loves Disney and all things Disney related, I still get the biggest kick of all out of watching my son in the parks. His delight at meeting the characters (and he's smart enough to know that they are simply people in costume) and his wonderment at seeing in three dimensions things that up until then have only existed to him on a cinema or TV screen or the page of a book.

The Toons do not talk down to kids, they ignite and feed their imaginations. And of course I don't really need to point out that without toons ther would be no Disney parks.

I do appreciate the cleverer and more asthetic aspects of the parks (I wouldn't be here if I didn't) but I also firmly believe that there is room for 'kids stuff'. Toy Story Land fits this criteria and even if I disagreed with it 100%, it would not stop me taking NDJnr there if he wanted to go. And I would then derive pleasure from his happiness.

I know that things like POTC and Peter Pan can appeal to everyone and still be technically and artistically worthy. But for every ToT, RnRC or Space Mountain (which are all seemingly branded as 'worthy' of a Disney park while being generally unsuitable and anavailable for kids to ride) we need a Dumbo or Mad Hatter's Tea Cups.

Yes Toy Story Land sounds like a migraine-inducing splash of colour. But to mis-quote a movie - 'it's for kids, ya know?'. And since Disney own most of the most recognisable and loved characters the world has ever seen, why not use that? I would be disappointed if they didn't.

(I do agree though that the half pipe coaster is a terrible idea)
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast