View Poll Results: Is the Pin Badge Trading concept worth continuing within DLP?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pin Badges! Great Stuff! Wanna see my lanyard?!

3 33.33%
  • Pin whatnow?

1 11.11%
  • I may buy one or two as souveniers but I'm too shy to trade.

5 55.56%
  • I would rather die than be seen wearing a lanyard. Scrap 'em all.

0 0%

• Senior Minion

Pin Badges Invade Europe!

Many times on this forum we have collectively scratched our heads over the attraction of the Pin Badge phenomenon with the Disney Parks. We have also observed that this strange custom has never seem to have taken off as well as it might within DLP.

All that may be about to change...

http://disneystore-shopping.disney.co.uk/pins.aspx

Pin Badges are about to be made available in UK branches of the Disney Store.

So, will this help the trend for swapping badges and wearing lanyards take off over the Channel? Do any of these products attract you? And surely at least now that means that for the first time in about 5 years there is something in the Disney Store for people older than 6.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Dancing through life

Re: Pin Badges Invade Europe!

I love my pins.

I have seen trading boards in some Disney Stores, They all started with the same pins and the one at Southampton had less and less pins on it until it disappeared before Christmas. I guess the trading didn't work when so few people had pins.

• Senior Minion

I think that the amazingly pathetic response to this thread shows just what MCers generally think of Pin Trading!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I"m not in Europe, so I don't know what they think of the pins. Perhaps pin trading hasn't taken off because they don't have as many repeat visitors?

I love me some pins and have a lot of them. I haven't done a lot of trading, I've amassed a collection of pins for me and don't want to let them go! I started to do a little trading when we visited WDW and will probably do more in the future at DL.

• Dancing through life

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post

I think that the amazingly pathetic response to this thread shows just what MCers generally think of Pin Trading!
    I presume you mean lack of responses rather than my post being pathetic!

Last time I was at Disneyland Paris the 2 people I was with refused to wear Pins (until one saw a Tinkerbell one that matched her coat) and the only people I traded with were children (at their request) and once with the board.

It is an expensive thing to collect, I think the pins start at 6 so having a lanyard full will cost a fair bit.

• Banned User

Many times on this forum we have collectively scratched our heads over the attraction of the Pin Badge phenomenon with the Disney Parks. We have also observed that this strange custom has never seem to have taken off as well as it might within DLP.
    Hmmm, everytime I have been to DLP lately, there are lots of pin collectors trading pins near the info board at the end of Main Street. Likewise, the same thing happens at HKDL where some of our fellow chinese fans also hang out on Main Street pin trading.
    Tokyo Disney... the fans killed the fun out of pin trading because they embraced it to the point of creating chaos in the park, reason why TDR was the first resort to pull the plug on it and retired the Pin Trading fad. But still, TDR is regularly releasing pins for sale and just last year, opened a pin store at the exit of POTC, where many TDR-exclusive pins are sold. Queen of Hearts restaurant pin badge anyone? Likewise the Japan and US Disney Stores release pins for sale that are exclusive to the stores. I wonder why it took so long for the euro outlets to follow suit.

I do believe however that the USA parks have overdone the pin fad way too much. It has become out of control. Pins released every few days... some of them multi-number sets, it's overkill. It's a huge $$$ bonanza for Disney, considering they only pay pennies per pin for their production in China.

So, will this help the trend for swapping badges and wearing lanyards take off over the Channel?
    Are the people in the region that much into fun things? You tell me.
    Do any of these products attract you?
    To a degree.. I do collect anniverary or grand opening park pins, or special event pins. Not into the rest of the pins which can be repetitive or have no meaning for me. Many pins from TDR for example are only sold during special events. My latest acquisition..? this past december's TDR Countdown Party 2009 pins. No longer sold in the park and no longer available for purchase and will never be produced again. That makes them special for me as mementos of things that are so infrequent at the Disney parks.

One more thing... I know that Pin Trading is over done and needs to be controlled or at the very least.. retired for good. But it's not going anywhere because Disney makes tons of $$ from them. I do believe that if someone is into that type of collecting (or any hobbie for that matter) then let them enjoy it if it brings fun and happiness to their lives. I just wish Disney wasn't capitalizing as much from these people's desire to collect Pin.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fiyero View Post
    I presume you mean lack of responses rather than my post being pathetic!
    My apologies Fiyero, I did indeed mean lack of responses and was not criticising your (up until then) sole response.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

Here in Germany we don't even have pins. No Disneystores anymore, no pins.
    We don't have any pins at all. Sure you can by some small pins for kids, but they are very rare.
    Hard Rock Cafe is trying to keep this tradition upright, but is not very sucessful.
    Pintrading is not a topic here in Germany. I think, it never was.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Hmmm, they tried this before at the DS in the UK and it never took off. Too late for us. We have about 400+ pins now, but stopped trading because there are very few interesting ones, the sharks made it horrible to get interesting ones, and at WDW, DL and DLP last time, there were very few people trading.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Well some of us have lives and can only get on once in a while.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Well some of us have lives and can only get on once in a while.
    Indeed some of us do have lives.

And 400+ pins eh? Impressive!

WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011