Discoveryland a dead-end?

Just wondering whether Discoveryland is a cul-de-sac - with only the one entrance/exit from the hub - or whether it is connected somewhere to Fantasyland?

• is satisfactual.

Re: Discoveryland a dead-end?

It is essentially a cul-de-sac (interestingly, the only land to be one), but there is a nondescript passageway from "'small world" to Star Tours that is accessible a lot of the time.

Not sure whether the Imagineers ever meant for this walkway to be open to the public (it doesn't look that way) or if there is a profound reason why the two lands are not otherwise connected, though.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    It is essentially a cul-de-sac (interestingly, the only land to be one), but there is a nondescript passageway from "'small world" to Star Tours that is accessible a lot of the time.

Not sure whether the Imagineers ever meant for this walkway to be open to the public (it doesn't look that way) or if there is a profound reason why the two lands are not otherwise connected, though.
    Isn't that area where the parade begins/ends (depending on the parade)?

I like that small area - if for no other reason than it is a nicely kept secret and can allow a nice quiet shortcut between the two lands.

It certainly beats my recent attempts to use the Main Street Arcades as 'rat runs' - they seemed busier than Main Street itself! Curse those damned guidebooks and web forums!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

There was nothing secret about that cut-through during my last visit. The area was mobbed, primarily because of a handful of Characters interactions. In fact, even if it isn't a major thoroughfare, it's still on the map, though the barriers are more than apparent.

Reminds me of the back way to Frontierland from Fantasyland at the original DL. Too bad this dumps you out in front of Star Tours and not Thunder Mountain though.
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Isn't that area where the parade begins/ends (depending on the parade)?

I like that small area - if for no other reason than it is a nicely kept secret and can allow a nice quiet shortcut between the two lands.

It certainly beats my recent attempts to use the Main Street Arcades as 'rat runs' - they seemed busier than Main Street itself! Curse those damned guidebooks and web forums!
    Yes, well, it's a fork in the road. Both roads end (or begin) at that gate next to "'small world." The downside is that during a parade, you're basically stuck in Discoveryland. But could be worse... Could be the Studios, haha. (Sorry.)

And the Arcades work really well after fireworks displays... Just start running during the last "bang" and you'll be the first one at the bus stop.

Thank-you; I couldn't tell whether that was a backstage or open walkway (on Google Earth).
    Also, looking at the location of the Pizza Planet restaurant (terrible!), do many guests even manage to find it?!

• Banned User

That cut throught was not designed to be a walking area for guests. Out of need, it has to be used as such.

Boy, and need it it does - the park was pretty well packed, and even this extra thoroughfare was a high traffic area. But it was definitely noticeable that it wasn't quite part of the "show". It wasn't neglected - and I realize it needed to be pretty non-descript to offer a transition from fantasy to discovery. There was just pretty much nothing going on.
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce05 View Post
    Thank-you; I couldn't tell whether that was a backstage or open walkway (on Google Earth).
    Also, looking at the location of the Pizza Planet restaurant (terrible!), do many guests even manage to find it?!
    Pizza Planet does get used quite a bit during peak times but is also closed for a large part of the year. It does offer a nice (if basic) play area for harried parents to relax for a short time but the whole thing could have been themed so much better... never mind.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

This link gives some idea of what was intended for the overflow coridor area Part 1

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_Dad View Post
    This link gives some idea of what was intended for the overflow coridor area Part 1
    Interesting, hadn't read that before. If they did want to build something there today they would have to relocate the service building which occupies the spot.

Also interesting that the article claims that DLP's version of the Little Mermaid ride would have been 7 minutes long (ie, something akin to what DCA is going to get). I have my doubts regarding that. The plot behind the visionarium where the ride was supposed to have been built is rather small. More likely, had it been built in the 1990s as originally intended, I think it would probably have been the 4 minute version we saw in the bonus features of the Little Mermaid DVD.
    Down with the Hat

• is satisfactual.

The land is a huge bottleneck, indeed. Which seems strange for such a carefully laid-out park. When the secondary entrance is closed, as it often is, the only way in or out is that tiny space between Constellations and the gardens, made even more crammed by all the (admittedly very cool) out-of-this-world rocks and fountains.

I wonder if they were planning to fix that along with these expansions.

• Senior Minion

Of course, this design flaw makes Discoveryland the best place to head to early for rope-drop.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011