Thread: Disney Village

• Disney Princess

Disney Village

So I leave for Paris this Friday, and my question is I am wondering what theDisney Village is like. what restaurants to go to and what are the shops like? Is there a store like the World of Disney store like DL and WDW's Downtown Disney. Please answer soon! Thanks so much! Also, if anyone has been to the California Grill at the Disneyland Hotel please let me know how it is because I love the one at the Contemporary Resort and me and my family are wondering if it is worth it. Thanks!

Re: Disney Village

There is a Disney Store and a couple of other Disney shops. No real big World of Disney.

I went to go eat at Annette's which was good, and on another day I got food from that trailer right at the entrance which had standard theme park food. On my previous trip, I went to Buffalo Bill's which I would not repeat.

Step into the Planet Hollywood store for an Anaheim reference.

Overall, it's not nearly as exciting at Downtown Disney in WDW.

Aside for the name, the California Grills bare little resemblence. It looked beautiful but the menu did not appeal to me enough to pay for a meal there. But make sure to check it out, who knows what you might think! On the way there, check out some of the concept art pieces for Tokyo Disneyland on the corridor walls. Beautiful!

• Senior Minion

Disney Village tends to get short shrift on this forum. It is described as a bit of a 'mess' and it certainly is no Downtown Disney.

However, it has a charm of its own and I quite like it for what it is.
    Annette's is indeed a good spot for a bite, as is The Steakhouse. There are also non-Disney offerings including King Ludwig's Castle, Rainforest Cafe (best service in the resort IMO) and Planet Hollywood, not forgetting McDonalds (cheapest place to eat for miles!).
    The shops are all ok but none really offer anything exclusive from the shops in the parks apart from the Animation Store (forgot the actual name) which offers some very attractive collectable art and figurines.
    Depending on the time of year some entertainment or additional market style cabins offer something extra.
    The Village is close enough to give nice respite from the hustle and bussle of the parks and is particularly fun at night when it becomes nicely busy and atmospheric.

These are my opinions. I know others will completely disagree!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

The California Grill is known to be the highest quality restaurant in the resort. According to Frommer's, even French food critics are pleased with it. And we've all seen how French food critics can be.

I've never eaten there myself, but it looks impressively un-Disney (in a good way.) A very adult place. And now I want to eat there really badly.

If Davewasbaloo shows up before you leave, I'm sure he'll have a full review.

As for Disney Vilage... It's best not to dwell on it too much.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 03-02-2009 at 09:27 AM.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

I nearly missed this thread, but hopefully I can help.

It has been a little while (about 18 months) since I have dined at the California Grill in Paris, but overall I would say it is more upscale than the WDW version and closer to a Victoria and Albert or Napa Rose type experience. I have dined there half a dozen times or so, and always enjoyed the meal, winelist and service. It is a french/californian fusion restaurant, and the portions are smaller than American restaurants, so I know that puts some US guest off, but I love it (and the WDW version too). The views are not as grand, but the food and service certainly is.

For less adventurous pallettes, a good alternative is the Steakhouse in the Village. It is on par with Le Cellier or the Yacht Club at WDW in quality, so very good.

Also, I adore Buffalo Bill's - my favorite attraction in all of DLP. 3 course meal (ave), fantastic show and a souvenir hat for $75. It is better than any of the shows in Orlando, and a must do. After over a dozen shows, I still cannot get enough!

Annette's is the best value restaurant in the Village and fun too.

Also, King Ludwigs is a very Epcot experience, and the Beer is awesome (Dunkelbier is the best!!!).

Billy Bob's can have some good live bands too.

The Village is not as nice as the WDW and DL DTD's, but it has some charms.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

As for Stores, there is a Disney Store (a collection of a lot of the stuff found elsewhere), an Art of Disney Store (great for books, Xmas Ornaments, and collectables), Disney Fashion (women's clothes), Hollywood Pictures (best place in the village for pins), and the Toy Chest. Also there is a Rain Forest Cafe Store and a Planet Hollywood Store.

There is also the Deli, Sportsbar, Hurricane's night club, McD's (biggest in France), Arcade, Cafe Mickey's and the Cinema. There is an Imax and Bowling Alley too.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• De la Terre à la Luke

I find Disney Village very hit or miss. Locations are either very well themed and welcoming, or confusing and cold. Buffalo Bills is great, although I felt so bad throughout as I forgot to take an Antihistamine beforehand! whoops! But the food was ok, not great but i wasn't expecting haute cuisine, and the show was spectacular!

The stores are nicely themed and spread out, and Billy Bob's has great music and dance classes!

During our last visit in September we have eaten there two times at King Ludwig's Castle and once at Annette' Diner and we can really recommend these locations.

I don't know if King Ludwig's still has the happy hour for beer. You got two beers and had to pay only for one.

We have never tried any other restaurants at DV, except McDonald's, but it was a very bad experience. We didn't like any of the burgers there.

Sometimes we had a snack, like pizza, at the Sports Bar while we were enjoying a cocktail or a beer.

We have also tried Buffalo Bill two years ago and we enjoyed it. The show was really nice and the food was okay. Could have been a little bit better, but there is free refill for beer and non-alcoholic beverages and you get a souvenir hat for free.

Although DV doesn't look as nice as Downtown Disney at WDW, we enjoy spending time there after the parks closed. Since they added some plants and trees it looks very nice in my opinion.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post

There is also the Deli, Sportsbar, Hurricane's night club, McD's (biggest in France), Arcade, Cafe Mickey's and the Cinema. There is an Imax and Bowling Alley too.
    How could I forget Cafe Mickey! My favourite dining experience in the resort.

Sure the poor-quality food is over-priced but it has the best character interaction anywhere. The buffet breakfast is good and I like the whole general ambience of the place. I can't quite put my finger on it but as a 'Toon-lover' I adore the place!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

Yes, you have to try Cafe Mickey!!! We have been there for lunch. The food was really good and it is a perfect photo opportunity.

I completely forgot about Cafe Mickey. We had a lot of fun eating there. It was not too busy, so characters came by our table frequently.

• Senior Minion

Although it should be noted that there tends to be only two sets of charcaters at any given time at Cafe Mickey. This means that after 'Group A' and 'Group B', 'Group A' will reappear. This allows the restaurant to turn around its diners quickly as the characters seem to be on a half hour rota.
    I am always impressed with how the characters are policed at Cafe Mickey. It generally means that everyone politely waits their turn at their table. This is of course in stark contrast to the scrums encountered at the park meet and greets.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Dancing through life

I quite like Disney Village, especially I go in low-season and the parks close quite early it means I don't have to go straight to my hotel at 8PM.
    I have often had breakfast at McDonalds, the coffee is better than any in the park and it is mega-cheap.
    I love Annette's Diner, Rain Forest Cafe and Planet Hollywood and think it is great having good restaurants to go to after the park is closed.
    The Panoramagique is amazing and offers an unsurpassed view into the park, on a clear day anyway. The Cinema gives something fun to do after the park too, I just wish there were showings in English (many park guides say that there are on Thursdays but I have yet to find one) I saw Hairspray there which was quite a surreal experience with the singing in English and the talking in French.
    Also it is nice having the shops there, meaning I can buy lots of gifts at once without having to worry about the crowds in the park.
    Finally if you are staying at ine of the Disney Hotels (except Disneyland Hotel) it gives a more interesting walk back rather than just a path.

• Membre

My opinion is that you can skip the Disney Village, I love both parks and hotels area, but I really dislike this part of DLRP. One place is OK though : Annette's Diner (avoid any other restaurant).

• is satisfactual.

It does have nice restaurants, it's true. What it doesn't have is an adequate selection of shops. After the parks close and everyone but the Spanish have had dinner, a couple of thousand people have nothing to do but browse the stores. That's a lot of people inside the used-and-abused Disney Store and its three halfhearted companions.

But yes, it has to be said that the dining situation isn't at all bad.