Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Space Mountain:Mission 2

I've just been reading a thread in the Disneyland forum on Space Mountain re launching later this year.And it got me thinking we should also post a thread on the Paris Space Mountain which is also under going a changed.So what exactly has everyone heard so far about Mission 2.I hope work will be done to the track to make the ride not so rough.

I've read the story that Peter Bell wrote on the subject over at the Jim Hill's website http://jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/...le.php?ID=1175 about all the new show scenes.And the final effect with the star exploding sounds very promissing.Hope the Imagineers pull it of.Is anyone planning to head down to the park on April the 9th?

Your thoughts

• MiceAge Columnist

I expect they will be doing work to the track so we should get a smoother ride, hopefully back to the levels we had when it opened.

I believe they will have new trains as well, but that has not really been confirmed.

Ian

• Banned User

Heard the story about the new trains too.Lets keep our fingers cross.

According to DLP.info Imagineers have confirmed that the trains will be launched from the actual bottom of the Columbiad Canon when Space Mountain reopens.Giving the attraction a more intense feeling.

I think we in store for a few suprises once Space Mountain opens on April 9th.Which should hopely make up for the almost 10 years of neglect.

• Unknowing Minion

I heard about the new launch and trains as well. I would love to see it a bit more intense.

Duck!

new launch and new trains

Hello everybody,

Space Mountain will be launched on 09/04/2005 and from that moment the train will be shot from the bottom directly to the top. Apparently you won't notice the change (only if you are a huge fan).

There will be new trains, which will deliver a smooth ride sensation. The trains look similar to the old ones - just a little bit sharper at the front.

Once you are shot into the mountain you should be immediately in deep space - various projections should deliver a 3-D effect.

At the highest point of the mountain (a moon face projection is there currently) you will have the super nova scene and turn down right after it to escape.

The corkscrew part of the mountain will be change into a scene where you turn around a meteroite.

The track itself won't be changed and remains exactly the same.

Hope that these news give you some ideas.

• Banned User

Sounds good to me

Do you know if work will also be done on restoring the smoke effect in the canon?

Space Mountain

The exterior has been done over the last month and I guess that the smoke has been installed again- I'm not completely sure though

I'm planning to be there opening week. I've never seen the old one but I'll try to remember the new one well enough to describe it - assuming it's open. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can keep to schedule!

Ryan.

• ...or just Tonny

Am I the only one thinking this is a wrong thing to do? Space Mountain was almost themattical perfection, and I have always learned to NOT fix things if they aren't broken. I saw a picture of a restyled train. I'm not sure how trustworthy that picture was, but it was the exact same train of the original, without some of the props ( the nose and the pipes along the side ), and painted entirely grey.

I'm still mourning the loss of one of my favorite themed attraction and am in no rush whatsoever to experience this re-do.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    Am I the only one thinking this is a wrong thing to do? Space Mountain was almost themattical perfection, and I have always learned to NOT fix things if they aren't broken.
    But Space Mountain was broken.Track was rough,and all the effects were in a abysmal state.I think most of the money is being spent on just restoring this ride to its formal glory.And the tag line Mission 2 is just a marketing gimick.But the Super Nova effect I've heard about still sounds cool.

• Social Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    I saw a picture of a restyled train. I'm not sure how trustworthy that picture was, but it was the exact same train of the original, without some of the props.
    Heheh, I would expect one of the primary reasons for getting new trains was to finally get rid of the embarrassing Discovery Mountain initials that were on the nose of every vehicle.

Ok, the imporant question for the re-do is: Are they keeping all the cool asteroids and space junk?!?!?

• keep moving forward...

heres one

they are using better lights for the stars in mission 2

(by the way did you know that all the stars on the original peter pan ride were all pingpong balls painted with glow in the dark paint) its kind of funny

new soundtrack tested

the new soundtrack has been tested with the composer lately and I hope it's great because it was done by "Michael Giacchino" - the composer for The Incredibles or the tv series Alias.

The train will be great too - there will be 5 loudspeakers per rider. 1 of each side of your head - two at the hips and one at the feet - WOW

• ...or just Tonny

Quote Originally Posted by Malin
    But Space Mountain was broken.Track was rough,and all the effects were in a abysmal state.I think most of the money is being spent on just restoring this ride to its formal glory.And the tag line Mission 2 is just a marketing gimick.But the Super Nova effect I've heard about still sounds cool.
    Well yeah, restoring the effects is great. Making the ride less-rough is not part of the deal as far as I know - that would take completely new trains.

But removing the moon, and adding in more modern-day science fiction, is just plain wrong. The new ride will probably tell 2 different stories, which just doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by euro disney stefan
    The train will be great too - there will be 5 loudspeakers per rider. 1 of each side of your head - two at the hips and one at the feet - WOW
    In other words, exactly the same as it is now?

• MiceAge Columnist

They may not replace the trains, but I'm sure they will be giving them a full service and refit (new wheels, etc) which should restore the ride quality to near enough what it was when the ride opened. I hope so anyway.

Ian
    "I'm surrounded by idiots"

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast