View Poll Results: Water Park, or a theme park?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theme Park

23 71.88%
  • Water Park

9 28.13%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• is satisfactual.

Re: Disneyland Resort Paris Third Gate

Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
    I want to know why people never request for a second magic kingdom style park. I mean, having an all-encompassing theme for one whole park will always restrict you. No-one ever complains that the Disneyland Park has no overall theme. I myself would love to have a second multiple land based park. Disney-sea is the closest that any non-magic kingdom park has got to this.

For a third gate, a multi land park woudl be cool. Could have a critter country section for splash mountain, country bears etc. An egyptian themed place with rollercoaster, dark-ride etc. Maybe even a mysterious island area a la DisneySea. I did, a few years ago, draw out a complete aerial view of my own third gate for DLRP....If i unearth it, I'll show you all.
    That's a very interesting notion! I've thought about this too, but there are some "buts." First of all, there are the obvious branding issues; what to call it, how to distinguish it from the Disneyland-style park, etc. Second, we've seen from the Walt Disney Studios and Disney's California Adventure (both practically Disneyland parks by now) that this type of park can work out disastrously as well. Walt had this brilliant, simple idea of the wheel-like layout with the train around it that frankly hasn't been improved on yet.

Third, looking at DisneySea, I'm not so sure a loose common theme is always a bad idea. That park managed so perfectly to complement the anything-goes Tokyo Disneyland park with its "exploration" thing.

I think that's the key; as long as the theme is elementary enough (so not "California" but "discovery" or "adventure" or similar,) it has the potential to be a great park. And maybe that works better in the end than having two Magic Kingdoms next to one another.

But well, they did hit the jackpot with the DisneySea concept. They're not likely to find another one of those. "Global exploration from an Old-World perspective" is of course the perfect counterpart to the exploration-from-a-New-World-perspective concept of Disneyland.

Hmmm, did I just stumble upon Disneyland's real theme?

I think Disneyland was designed for the people of the 1950's.

Main street was there to take the grown ups back to the town of their youth... And once they were back in their childhood they got to experience the things their kids were obsessed with..

All kids of the 1950's seemed to be either obsessed with cowboys/indians, pirates, knights/princesses or astronauts

So when building a theme park now. Perhaps they should make one for people of the 2000's.
    Make a Main street that looks like a town from the 1960's. And then lands that have everything kids are obsessed with today.
    There would be a Hannah Montana/High School Musicalland.. A Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings land... A wii-land...
    Yeah.. I don't really know what kids like these days

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Ok, I'm a little scared now!
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Dancing through life

Quote Originally Posted by konekobus View Post
    So when building a theme park now. Perhaps they should make one for people of the 2000's.
    Make a Main street that looks like a town from the 1960's. And then lands that have everything kids are obsessed with today.
    There would be a Hannah Montana/High School Musicalland.. A Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings land... A wii-land...
    Yeah.. I don't really know what kids like these days
    The ideas in the current Disneyland parks are more timeless than that. Kids still love princesses and cowboys.

I like the idea of a different timeline. I would go for 1950s, like in Back to the future but still think it would be too similar to mainstreet.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by konekobus View Post
    I think Disneyland was designed for the people of the 1950's.

Main street was there to take the grown ups back to the town of their youth... And once they were back in their childhood they got to experience the things their kids were obsessed with..

All kids of the 1950's seemed to be either obsessed with cowboys/indians, pirates, knights/princesses or astronauts
    Excellent point. You're experiencing the world from Walt Disney's point of view.

Yup... That's what Disneyland is.

• Coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    That's a very interesting notion! I've thought about this too, but there are some "buts." First of all, there are the obvious branding issues; what to call it, how to distinguish it from the Disneyland-style park, etc. Second, we've seen from the Walt Disney Studios and Disney's California Adventure (both practically Disneyland parks by now) that this type of park can work out disastrously as well. Walt had this brilliant, simple idea of the wheel-like layout with the train around it that frankly hasn't been improved on yet.

Third, looking at DisneySea, I'm not so sure a loose common theme is always a bad idea. That park managed so perfectly to complement the anything-goes Tokyo Disneyland park with its "exploration" thing.

I think that's the key; as long as the theme is elementary enough (so not "California" but "discovery" or "adventure" or similar,) it has the potential to be a great park. And maybe that works better in the end than having two Magic Kingdoms next to one another.

But well, they did hit the jackpot with the DisneySea concept. They're not likely to find another one of those. "Global exploration from an Old-World perspective" is of course the perfect counterpart to the exploration-from-a-New-World-perspective concept of Disneyland.

Hmmm, did I just stumble upon Disneyland's real theme?
    You raise interesting points, I suppose ever a loose theme is good. Probably why DisneySea works so well. It has a loose and easy to streatch theme.

Well, I couldn't find the theme of the park I had sketched up, but I can give you a rundown. It was originally planned for my own imaginary resort, and as a result, some rides could be found in Disneyland Paris park. These I have ommitted from my below list:

DLRP 3rd Gate:

Mysterious Kingdom

Themed to the great stories and legends that man-kind has passed on through generations. Lost worlds, great journeys, strange creatures and amazing locations!

Entrance - The Fountain of Youth.

As you enter through the great ancient Greek ruins, you can see the centrepiece, the fountain of youth! This great towering series of waterfalls and caverns provides the hub of the park. This works as this park's Main Street equivalent. In the ruins either side of the entrance path, some shops and restaurants can be found, themed to ancient Greek stories. In one building, the dark ride, The Trials of Hercules can be found. This is a musical adventure through Disney's version of the classic myth. Expect cool Hydra AA!

Sleepy Hollow

The quaint 19th Century colonial American town has a dark secret. Situated far back within the town, which is partially modelled on Libery Square in WDW, lies a spooky dark ride. Follow Ichabod Crane as he tries to evade the Headless Horseman! Guests ride in hollowed out Jack-o-lanterns, which rotate on their axis to show the events which unfold. The mutlisensory experience with also involve 3D screens and will be similar in style to that of the Spiderman attraction in Islands of Adventure in Universal Orland Resort.

Bigfoot Trail

Can you find the Sasquatch? In the pine forests of the West, the Bigfoot lurks. This small land is only a walkthrough, but will add an extra experience for both the avergae park-goer who thinks they've found a hidden gem, or the Disney fanatic who loves the scenery. A restaurant also occupies this land.

The Lost World

Situated on a plateau deep within the jungle, lies the Lost World, where long extinct creatures still exist. The centrepiece of this land is a safari adventure through the dinosaur's habitat. Hop on-board Victorian style jeeps, which whisk you away through the dense jungle. But beware, some of the dinosaur's are not so friendly, particularly those in the caves... .
    Other attractions in this land include a walkthrough set of caverns complete with play area and animatronic creatures. Within these is an underwater viewing area, where prehistoric sea monsters lurk.

Beastly Kingdom

Using a title lovingly stolen from the never-built land in WDW's animal kingdom, the Beastly Kingdom is a world where imaginary animals live. The main scenery is that of a fictional medieval castle and woods. Various shops sell bizzarre foods and mystical goodies. A giant tower rises up to the sky towards the edge of the main castle grounds. This is where the great dragon lives! Upon entering the dungeons, you will board a rickety boat. This will take you throuhg the dank and damp cellars in search of the dragon. You will find him of course....albeit quickly before he billows fire at you and sends you hurtling though a water flume/rollercoaster hybrid ride, which twists and turns though the castle and forest. In the forest itself lurks an mighty mixture of mythical creatures, including the unicorn itself! They canh all be seen in the mystical gardens (this would feature a labyrinth if Alice's one next doors goes into disrepair).

Mermaid Lagoon

This indoor land is essentially the same as the Tokyo DisneySea land, only with the DCA dark ride tagged onto it.

Indiana Jones' Outpost

How could we have a legends park without the man who discovers them! Indy's outpost is located in the Amazonian Jungle, and features various ruins, buildings and attractions. Guests can ride the famous Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Crystal skull, and watch the incredible Stunt Show, which is and updated version of its namesake in Disney Hollywood Studios in WDW.

Valley of the Kings

An egyptian themed land is the final land of this park upon opening day. Of course, more would be added, and space left for more. This land is themed on the real namesake of the Valley. Caves and cliffs fill most of this land, with an egyptian bazaar occupying the rest. Guests can explore some caverns on foot, and peek into tombs which have been uncovered. However, the more daring guests can ride the Rage of Anubis! Feel the wrath of the great god of the underworld as you twist and turn through falling pillars and tombs in this state of the art rollercoaster!

I'd love to hear your opinions

• Tomorrow's Child

I wonder what DisneySea would look like on DLP's budget?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• is satisfactual.

You raise interesting points, I suppose ever a loose theme is good. Probably why DisneySea works so well. It has a loose and easy to streatch theme.

Well, I couldn't find the theme of the park I had sketched up, but I can give you a rundown. It was originally planned for my own imaginary resort, and as a result, some rides could be found in Disneyland Paris park. These I have ommitted from my below list:

DLRP 3rd Gate:

Mysterious Kingdom

Themed to the great stories and legends that man-kind has passed on through generations. Lost worlds, great journeys, strange creatures and amazing locations!

Entrance - The Fountain of Youth.

As you enter through the great ancient Greek ruins, you can see the centrepiece, the fountain of youth! This great towering series of waterfalls and caverns provides the hub of the park. This works as this park's Main Street equivalent. In the ruins either side of the entrance path, some shops and restaurants can be found, themed to ancient Greek stories. In one building, the dark ride, The Trials of Hercules can be found. This is a musical adventure through Disney's version of the classic myth. Expect cool Hydra AA!

Sleepy Hollow

The quaint 19th Century colonial American town has a dark secret. Situated far back within the town, which is partially modelled on Libery Square in WDW, lies a spooky dark ride. Follow Ichabod Crane as he tries to evade the Headless Horseman! Guests ride in hollowed out Jack-o-lanterns, which rotate on their axis to show the events which unfold. The mutlisensory experience with also involve 3D screens and will be similar in style to that of the Spiderman attraction in Islands of Adventure in Universal Orland Resort.

Bigfoot Trail

Can you find the Sasquatch? In the pine forests of the West, the Bigfoot lurks. This small land is only a walkthrough, but will add an extra experience for both the avergae park-goer who thinks they've found a hidden gem, or the Disney fanatic who loves the scenery. A restaurant also occupies this land.

The Lost World

Situated on a plateau deep within the jungle, lies the Lost World, where long extinct creatures still exist. The centrepiece of this land is a safari adventure through the dinosaur's habitat. Hop on-board Victorian style jeeps, which whisk you away through the dense jungle. But beware, some of the dinosaur's are not so friendly, particularly those in the caves... .
    Other attractions in this land include a walkthrough set of caverns complete with play area and animatronic creatures. Within these is an underwater viewing area, where prehistoric sea monsters lurk.

Beastly Kingdom

Using a title lovingly stolen from the never-built land in WDW's animal kingdom, the Beastly Kingdom is a world where imaginary animals live. The main scenery is that of a fictional medieval castle and woods. Various shops sell bizzarre foods and mystical goodies. A giant tower rises up to the sky towards the edge of the main castle grounds. This is where the great dragon lives! Upon entering the dungeons, you will board a rickety boat. This will take you throuhg the dank and damp cellars in search of the dragon. You will find him of course....albeit quickly before he billows fire at you and sends you hurtling though a water flume/rollercoaster hybrid ride, which twists and turns though the castle and forest. In the forest itself lurks an mighty mixture of mythical creatures, including the unicorn itself! They canh all be seen in the mystical gardens (this would feature a labyrinth if Alice's one next doors goes into disrepair).

Mermaid Lagoon

This indoor land is essentially the same as the Tokyo DisneySea land, only with the DCA dark ride tagged onto it.

Indiana Jones' Outpost

How could we have a legends park without the man who discovers them! Indy's outpost is located in the Amazonian Jungle, and features various ruins, buildings and attractions. Guests can ride the famous Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Crystal skull, and watch the incredible Stunt Show, which is and updated version of its namesake in Disney Hollywood Studios in WDW.

Valley of the Kings

An egyptian themed land is the final land of this park upon opening day. Of course, more would be added, and space left for more. This land is themed on the real namesake of the Valley. Caves and cliffs fill most of this land, with an egyptian bazaar occupying the rest. Guests can explore some caverns on foot, and peek into tombs which have been uncovered. However, the more daring guests can ride the Rage of Anubis! Feel the wrath of the great god of the underworld as you twist and turn through falling pillars and tombs in this state of the art rollercoaster!

I'd love to hear your opinions
    See, now that's a loose enough theme. But what would be the "basis" of the park? Whose experience is it?

• Coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    See, now that's a loose enough theme. But what would be the "basis" of the park? Whose experience is it?
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the 'basis' of it? What is the basis of the other parks. I'm just a tad confused

• is satisfactual.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the 'basis' of it? What is the basis of the other parks. I'm just a tad confused
    Well, we'd just established that Disneyland is the experience of an American circa 1955 — Walt — because of the way one starts out in early 20th century America to explore things from a very mid-century American point of view. And that Tokyo DisneySea is the experience of a European in colonial times, because one starts out in Columbus-era Italy to sail away to new lands.

That very unconscious strategy seems to work, because it "earths" the experience. Far more than the strategies of, say, Disney's California Adventure (you start out in a punny California and stay there,) the Walt Disney Studios (you enter Hollywood and move on to the parking lot,) or even Animal Kingdom (you enter the tropics and stay there.)

So whose experience is Mysterious Kingdom?

• Coming soon...

To be honest, I have always had a fascination with late 19th Century style and attitude, so each land would be approached from this era. Even the Fountain of Youth would be in ruins, as though discovered in this era. The only glaring exception is of course the Indiana Jones one....I still have no excuse for that yet. The Sleepy Hollow is a tad out as well, but only just.

So what do you think of the ride/land ideas, keeping in mind muhc of it needs ironing out somewhat ?

[QUOTE=pussnboots;1055447394] or even Animal Kingdom (you enter the tropics and stay there.)

[QUOTE]

I am going to have to disagree, Animal Kingdom you visit the U.S (Camp Minnie, Mickey), Asia, Africa and Dino-Land, Animal Kingdom is probably the most loose park IMO, Animal Kingdom could be anything, just add animals.
    -Tyler

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler1994 View Post

I am going to have to disagree, Animal Kingdom you visit the U.S (Camp Minnie, Mickey), Asia, Africa and Dino-Land, Animal Kingdom is probably the most loose park IMO, Animal Kingdom could be anything, just add animals.
    Yes, but it has a pretty nondescript entrance. Which is what that post was about.

1. With regard to the overall theme of Disneyland, I'd like to draw attention to the fact that much of Disneyland represents a simulacrum, an image of something that never quite was - esp. Main Street, Frontierland, New Orleans Square - the New Tomorrowland with its retro-future theme definitely was a right step towards overall thematic coherence. Adventureland and Fantasyland fit less smoothly into this concept, but the point could be made there as well.

2. As to Paris's third gate, a water park seems to me the most sound choice. In order to become a true resort, DLP needs to offer a diversity of activities - ranging from theme parks to cinemas to shopping (Val d'Europe; La Vallée), and infotainment (SeaLife). A water park would add another different experience instead of "just" another theme park. Apart from that, with the exception of the golf course, sports are underrepresented at DLP.

3. Finally, thematically adapting DisneySeas to the Resort might be a possible choice for a potential third gate in Paris. The overall theme would be ports and waterfronts, then, with, for instance, an east-coast version of Paradise Pier complementing the Newport Bay Club, a section themed to New France (Quebec) extending the theme of the Sequoia Lodge, an American Waterfront section tying in with the theme of the Hotel New York, etc.
    Need magic?

• Tomorrow's Child

Quote Originally Posted by FloFelix View Post
    3. Finally, thematically adapting DisneySeas to the Resort might be a possible choice for a potential third gate in Paris. The overall theme would be ports and waterfronts, then, with, for instance, an east-coast version of Paradise Pier complementing the Newport Bay Club, a section themed to New France (Quebec) extending the theme of the Sequoia Lodge, an American Waterfront section tying in with the theme of the Hotel New York, etc.
    Well spotted! They do have a lot of the hotel themes in place. DisneySea Paris has a nice ring to it doesn't it? *sigh* If only....

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast