• Senior Minion

Should DLP join the 'Club'?

Disney has a new phenomenon.

It has slowly crept into the public conciousness.

Among certain circles it is hugely popular.

Others will have never heard of it.

Others eat, sleep and breathe it.

I refer to.... Club Penguin.

Club Penguin - Waddle around and meet new friends!

For those who aren't in the know, Club Penguin is a Disney website that allows children (and adults I suppose) to play as a penguin in a fully interactive environment. This includes interacting with other members, earning rewards, playing games etc. NDJnr is currently addicted to it and I have to admit that I find it rather hypnotic myself.

The merchandise has started to appear in the Disney Store, collectable game cards are available in newsagents and there have been character meet and greets at the USA parks

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uT-mX3nwuw]YouTube - Club Penguin Rockhopper and Blue Penguin at Walt Disney World[/ame]

So is this brand big enough to be given a presence in DLP. Or is it already there? Is the merchandise available? Or is the site not yet established in the rest of Europe?

With HSM and Hannah Montana staining the name of Disney, I find it rather nice that these cartoon penguins (crudely rendered I admit) can become so popular.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

Re: Should DLP join the 'Club'?

Club what now? I've never head of this, but I suppose if merchandise would bring the money in...oh heavens I'm sounding like Disney...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Club what now? I've never head of this, but I suppose if merchandise would bring the money in...oh heavens I'm sounding like Disney...
    You see? It's like a viral marketing thing- its creeping into people's brains (of course I am only helping it along by posting this thread!)

I think it will only get bigger - the merchandise display in my local Disney Store is large and they had sold out of the play set that I took NDJnr there tonight to buy (thank God for the online store!).

The fact that Disney has produced character costumes suggests its popularity (although there was also a Bonkers Bobcat costume produced so maybe not...)
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Dancing through life

My 10 year old cousin seems to be addicted to Club Penguin. I still don't really know what it is. I know it is noisy!

• Tomorrow's Child

Like you said, it all depends on what foothold it has in Europe. Although adding anything from it to Paris will go down well with British guests, and no doubt help spur its growth in Europe.

I can't say I'm for it, but if it gets bums on seats, or more importantly Euro's in the tills then I say go for it.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Future Imagineer! =D

Club Penguin is so yesterday. A few years ago EVERYONE played it. Now no one I know plays it
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• No Jazz Hands?

Club Penguin. Never heard of it.

I have heard of the Virtual Magic Kingdom though, and if I'm not wrong (which I probably am) it's a similar concept. I don't think it's popular enough at the moment to have merchandise in the shops, but if it's a choice between penguins or HSM, I know what I'd pick.

• Tomorrow's Child

^High School Penguin Musical?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    Club Penguin is so yesterday. A few years ago EVERYONE played it. Now no one I know plays it
    Sorry but us Europeans are constantly two years behind you forward-thinking Californians.

And as for no one playing it? NDJnr has just come off the site - I've never seen so many penguins since my visit to the McVities factory.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

Indeed Mr Phogg, well put. And remember, yesterday's fashions in CA are today's in bad-toothed Britain! hehe.

Actually, Im surprised it hasn't turned into a huge franchise, animated movie, merchandising, theme park attractions etc.

A few years ago it WAS the big deal... I was addicted- I beat the habit, thankfully! I don't know about its popularity today, but I do see little reminders of it... Like the advertisement on the right hand side of the reply box. Its taking over :O!!
    -Tyler