• Former Epcot CM

Disneyland Paris Trip Report August 3rd

Long time no see everyone. Good to be back.

I visited Paris for ten days recently and of course had a day in Disneyland. Hadn't visited the place since I was 12, so I was eager to refresh what little remained of my memories and experience everything that had been added since I last was there. My 'home' resort is Walt Disney World, having visited annually for the past decade, despite Disneyland Paris being a three hour train journey away - go figure. So naturally, I spent my time there comparing both resorts; both the positives and the negatives.

First of all, while I was fully aware of this before visiting, I could not help but notice how overwhelmingly beautiful Disneyland Park is. What a true work of art. My partner, not really a big Disney fan, couldn't help but note over and over again the depth of the theming, in every land. Being a Magic Kingdom, FL citizen, I was extremely envious of the lavish and downright beautiful themeing of Fantasyland - the phrase "puts ours to shame" doesn't justify. I actually felt like I was in a fairytale - the castle is stunning beyond words, and despite the park only being two years younger then myself, I felt like I had stepped back centuries in time.

Discoveryland (had to stop myself calling it Tomorrowland so many times) was beautiful, if not a wee bit small? I don't know. Space Mountain was magnificent - how it can share the name with what can only be described as a fun fair wild mouse ride at the Magic Kingdom I do not know. Obviously we must take advancements in technology into account, but it serves as an enormous example of why WDW must immediately close Space Mountain down, completely rip out it's insides and start scratch, building a rollercoaster worthy of 2009. Heck, this Space Mountain is worthy of 2009 and it was built fifteen years ago (right?).

I was eagerly excited to try out Pirates and Phantom Manor, however to my complete surprise I found them quite inferior to their Floridian brothers. Obviously after it's recent revamp, the MK's Haunted Mansion shines above the rest but PM is in DIRE need of a refurb. Creaky, old, rusty - and not in a good way. Was far more comedic then chilling. Again, Pirates - needs a big old refurb. It felt like it was built in the sixties, not in the nineties. However, I cannot complain about the themeing - both show buildings were lavishly decorated on the outside.

Frontierland in general - masterpiece. Big Thunder must be the best out of all the parks, and that beautiful boat was glorious. The Liberty Belle just doesn't seem to match up. Adventureland seemed a bit emptier to me, however a bulk of it is taken up by the Isle which is more kids orientated.

Our tickets allowed us to park hop, and I was desperate to try Crush's Coaster. I didn't go in expecting much, I'd heard the rumours, but my god Walt Disney Studios needs to be shut down pronto. What an offence to the Disney park legacy. Soulless, void, vapid, cold, empty. It could not be further from it's sister across the esplanade. The Tower of Terror was a mere shadow of it's Floridian sister, the outside themeing of Rock n Roller was a joke, but Crush's Coaster was the glimmer in the dark. Fun, action packed, smooth, exciting, and even a little bit of dark ride! Well done Imagineers.

Cultural differences. Tricky area. I'm British, yet I felt far more affinity to my American cousins then my French ones while in the resort. I could not get used to the site of people walking around cigarette in hand - I just couldn't get my head around it. I couldn't imagine anything less Disney, until I had the pleasure of observing an actual fight (slaps, punches, and spitting included) in front of Fantillusion as a German family and a French family came to blows over whose little girl could be at the front. Actual slaps. We had to walk away when a man spat on a woman's feet. In DISNEY!? Wtf! I refused to let it blight my experience, but my word - my heart really went out to the children. To see their parents fighting - physical violence - over a PARADE at Disneyland. Shame.

My partner was treated to a birthday surprise in City Hall, and even had Mickey speak to him on the phone (in English!). That was a nice touch. I liked the layout of Main Street and Town Square, even if it really didn't feel like home, like it does when I step on to the bricks of Main Street Florida. As much as I appreciate the beauty, if a little gaudy, of the Disneyland Hotel, I feel it really does detract from the view of Main Street, especially when HALF (no exaggeration) of the bulbs are gone on the roof top. The fireworks were embarassing - a few minutes of pyro set to music from Enchanted, which was a shame as I'd really built my partner up to see the best fireworks he would ever see (as they are in Florida), but he was still mightily impressed. I do understand there are far tighter restrictions and laws on fireworks in Paris though.

Anything else to say? Hmm... Food. Overpriced, and really not to my taste. Again, I'm surprised at how more I feel American then European despite actually living in Europe. European food is not to my taste. Tomatoes stuffed with minced turkey? Sorry, not for me. But I expected the prices. I'm in a Disney park for christ's sake. Oh well, the hot dogs from Casey's were still good - as were the Ben and Jerry's waffle cones from Gibson Girl. THAT is something you won't find in Florida.

Overall, I loved my experience. We'll be returning for Christmas, and while parts found me pining for Florida, I was definitely pleased with the wealth of Imagineer love I have on my doorstep. Sort the Studios out, but Disneyland - you should be proud of yourself.

BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Minion

Re: Disneyland Paris Trip Report August 3rd

Thanks for your thoughts and pics. I haven't been to DLP but your impressions are almost identical to the ones I have from the internet and books. Hopefully I will have the chance to see first hand some day...the original park at DLP is still the most photogenic magic kingdom ever built (we'll see how Shanghai turns out).
    Last edited by tasman; 08-14-2009 at 04:18 AM.
    Down with the Hat

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Glad you enjoyed it. Personally I do not care if I ever go to WDW again because the MK is soooo inferior to DLP and DL.

FWIW, Discoveryland is bigger than Tomorrowland (remember that Space mountain is outside the berm in Florida). And DLP's Adventureland is bigger too.

I love the DLH at the entrance, but I agree the bulbs need sorting out.

As for the Studios, I would rather be in WDSP than DHS, anyday. I do not think popping in and missing the real signature attractions (like Cinemagique and Moteurs Action) gives it a fair viewing. Then again I feel DLP has a much better PotC (laughable abridged version in Fla) and Tower of Terror, and although Phantom Manor could use some more tlc, I would never say WDW's is better, just different.

But I do agree the behaviours and fireworks do let DLP down compared to the others (that said, I have seen fights in WDW too).
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Minion

Great trip report. I totally agree with WDS, to even compare it to any other Disney park is just sad, but I guess everyone has their own thoughts on that. Thanks for the great pics, love the one of Phantom Manor and Big Thunder.
    Jeff Wayne

I agree with your assessment of Phantom Manor being inferior to Haunted Mansion, but disagree about Pirates. I actually prefer the Paris version to all other versions, especially now that it is the only Jack Sparrow-free version of the ride.

• Minion

I love your photos! Happy Belated Birthday...Nick!

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

awesome photos! is that an X-wing fighter in front of Space Mountain? thats so cool (love the Maleficent stained glass window too).

• Koubu Pilot

Disneyland Paris has always looked like a beautiful park from the photos I've seen. I don't know if you've ever been to the original Disneyland, but if you haven't, you should definitely plan a trip sometime. The current fireworks show, Magical, may not be on the scale of its forerunner Remember, but when the fireworks are happening, there's nothing like watching Tinkerbell fly during the fireworks. And now, Dumbo flies during the fireworks, too.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

First thanks for taking the time to post a trip report Speedway.

I was eagerly excited to try out Pirates and Phantom Manor, however to my complete surprise I found them quite inferior to their Floridian brothers. Obviously after it's recent revamp, the MK's Haunted Mansion shines above the rest but PM is in DIRE need of a refurb.
    Agreed Phantom Manor has needed a decent refurbishment for a few years now. It upsets me to see that the problem continues to not be addressed, at least WDW Management realise there Mansion thanks to years of neglect needed upgrading and the improvements that have been made make a big difference. WDW gets a lot of abuse from some on here for its poor maintenance, including myself, but even in the Mansion's worst state, it was still no way as bad as the poor state DLP Management continue to keep the Mansion in. Instead of spending the budget on fancy promotional campaigns, I feel more of an effort should be made on bringing classic attractions like PM and POTC back to there original condition.

I didn't go in expecting much, I'd heard the rumours, but my god Walt Disney Studios needs to be shut down pronto
    You should of visited after it first opened, what you see now is an improvement on what we first had. No Crush, TOT or Cars.

Tricky area. I'm British, yet I felt far more affinity to my American cousins then my French ones while in the resort.
    Interesting because while I'm also Britsh I felt completely the opposite to what your saying here. I felt on my last trip to WDW Guest very rude and confrontational towards other Guest and Cast Members. Which shocked me as I had up to that point found Americans to be very friendly people. I also felt a lot of WDW Cast Members were poorly trained and not up to the Disney standards I expect. DLP is also not perfect but I felt the overall mood was more laid back with no worries about being struck by a stroller. Of couse I also never witnessed Guest having an actual fight.

The fireworks were embarassing - a few minutes of pyro set to music from Enchanted, which was a shame as I'd really built my partner up to see the best fireworks he would ever see (as they are in Florida), but he was still mightily impressed.
    I can't take that away when it comes to pyro shows the American parks are the best. DLP does try despite restrictions, which the park could probarely fight against but choose not to as a cost saving measure. Although the big shows put on each year for the media and during Bastille Day when the big shell fireworks come out are up there with what the US parks produce.

Anything else to say? Hmm... Food. Overpriced, and really not to my taste.
    Not suprised by this the food served is crap, and myself and others when visiting never touch fast food, and stick to table service which is usually quite good.

Overall, I loved my experience. We'll be returning for Christmas, and while parts found me pining for Florida, I was definitely pleased with the wealth of Imagineer love I have on my doorstep. Sort the Studios out, but Disneyland - you should be proud of yourself.
    End of the day glad to see you enjoyed the experience, it has its faults but so does any vacation destination, but the pro's more than make up for the con's. Christmas is a great time to visit hope you will write another trip report when you get back.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Yep agree with Malin here. I am an American lving in the UK, and I prefer the experiences at DLP than the ones in WDW, especially comparing our last few trips.

But I love the cast and guests in DL California most of all.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

The guests do make a difference.
    I've seen a child urinating in a Fantasyland flower bed in DLP, and I've also seen a marital spat gone extreme in WDW All Star Sports. It sure can affect your viewpoint.
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Nice TR, thanks! Great photos. I love that stained glass window!
    Belated happy birthday!