Blog Entries

The making of Disneyland Paris Nautilus - A Tom Scherman's tribute

Today is the first part of an article in tribute to Tom Scherman and a fantastic insight in the making of DLP’s unique Nautilus. As you will come to see, we have Tom to thank for the almost-real-size Nautilus of Disneyland Paris.

We all fell in love with one subject or another during our youth. But sometime, it can take incredible proportions and have effect during your entire life. In Tom scherman's case, he found in love with “20000 leagues under the sea” when the movie was released, and even more specifically with the Nautilus. So much that at the age of 19 , he built his first model of the submarine, and here is a rare picture Of Tom with the model shot by his brother Rowland Scherman.

Later, he even re-designed his own home in a Nautilus theme! But If somebody would have told him when he was 19 that more than 35 years later he would have help to built a real one in a Disney park , in France , the country of Jules Verne - and even better, that this Nautilus couldn’t have been built without him - i doubt that he would have believe it !

So, in the early 1990’s when the imagineers decided to build a real-size Nautilus at Disneyland Paris they had a big problem: Harper Goff, the original designer of the submarine passed away , and took most of his secrets with him in his grave!

Fortunately, a wonderful man who - literally - devoted his life to the Nautilus knew everything about it, and of course, it’s Tom Scherman. As the passion of Tom for the Nautilus last all his life, he became friend with Harper Goff and had all the “secrets” of his making. In fact he ended to knew so much the submarine that he could draw almost any part of it . So, with the help of Tom , the Imagineers were going to be able to built a real Nautilus, and the works begin.

Tom provided for Tim Delaney , show producer of DLP’s Discoveryland, hundreds of drawings and help with the models and construction advice.

He also built for the DLP two other models, one that visitors were able to see in the “Visionarium” attraction pre-show - now closed - and another smaller one which is still in the “Discoveryland” room on the first floor of the “Walt’s” restaurant in Main street.

So, let’s have a look first of how Tom’s work begin , with some of his drawings, incredibly detailed.

Here is Tom’s shetch for the “treasure room”

One for the passage way to Nemo’s cabin

He did many different sketches for the famous diving room

Read the full article with dozens of Tom's sketches and rare pictures of WDI Imagineers building DLP's Nautilus here:

Disney and more: A TRIBUTE TO TOM SCHERMAN - Part One - The making of Disneyland Paris Nautilus

Then return here and let us know what you think about this story, the Nautilus, and Jules Vern's role in the Magic Kingdoms.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: The making of Disneyland Paris Nautilus - A Tom Scherman's tribute

And here is part two of this amazing story: http://micechat.com/forums/disney-mo...s-history.html

Folks, if you haven't read the story above on Disney and More, I hope you'll save a little time to do so. It is a really unique piece of Disney history and contains some absolutely fantastic photos and concept drawings.

Tom Scherman sure did live an interesting life!

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Future Cast Member

Wow, this is amazing! I went to Disneyland Paris, & having recently reading the book, and then seeing the movie, I visited the submarine. I really liked it, and I thought it would be something boring, like just looking around at maybe some props from the set, but nothing interactive or anything. I loved the part with the giant squid, and the organ that has Captain Nemo's face. It had a lot of Disney magic, and it's amazing how it was designed by a Nautilus fan.

• Banned User

WOW! That's a GREAT article! I just hope that I'm fortunate someday to go to DLP and experience it in person! It makes me miss the old 20,000 Leagues ride in DLR! I think it was a MILLION times better than the Finding Nemo attraction they currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥disney.princess♥ View Post
    Wow, this is amazing! I went to Disneyland Paris, & having recently reading the book, and then seeing the movie, I visited the submarine. I really liked it, and I thought it would be something boring, like just looking around at maybe some props from the set, but nothing interactive or anything. I loved the part with the giant squid, and the organ that has Captain Nemo's face. It had a lot of Disney magic, and it's amazing how it was designed by a Nautilus fan.
    Wow, What you wrote is so smart and meaningful ! Thanks alot !

simulation rachat
    voiture pret automobile taux calcul credit auto

Une simulation credit auto instannee et facile ici si vous
    avez une voiture

simulation rachat voiture pret automobile taux calcul credit auto