Post Yes another trip report - picture heavy

Hi there,

I am a relatively new member, been around a bit (well since 2006 ), but here is my first real trip report. A little bit behind the time as we visited DLP on July 23, but we recently just got home from our trip.

First I like to say that DLP is a very nice park and defiantly worth a visit, we only had the 1 day to spend there, and it really was not long enough. We kinda knew this, but that is the way things worked out with our trip – at least we did get in one day.

The park was not all ‘that’ busy, but it was raining on and off the whole day, which probably contributed to the small crowds. We also tried following the one day trip planner that several have posted here, but that went out to lunch mostly due to some of the rides temporary being out of order – plus the issue of being too easily distracted by the park itself.

The only real disappointment was the merchandizing: the selection didn’t seem to include a whole lot of ride specific stuff, and the Emporium didn’t seem to carry ‘everything’ such as the one in CA does. We thought we would visit the Emporium as a one stop shopping, but they didn’t carry many items that we had seen around the park that caught our eye, so then it was back going around to the smaller shops to pick up these items. A minor inconvenience, but nothing that can’t be easily overlooked.

Anyways, on with the pictures…

Re: Yes another trip report - picture heavy

Lovely pictures!! You got a really great one of the dragon!!

• TheDisneyMagic

Lovely photos, sorry about the weather, did you notice how beautiful Disneyland Parc is no matter what the weather, the theming in incredible.

Thank you for the comments.

Weather, well what can you do - would have been nice to get some shots with some blue sky in them, oh well - we enjoyed ourselves regardless - sometimes you have to make the best of a situation. The good thing with the rain was that it was not too busy.

Yes, I have to agree with the theming - nice to see all the greenery and the way they blended it all together works well. Didn't see many flowers around the park, maybe they are done blooming, still very nice regardless.

Big Thunder Mountain also has that little extra surprise at the end if you used the 'standard' line (vs. the fast pass one).

I also have to tip my hat to the staff for the stunt show; they kept on going despite the very heavy down pour that started midway into the show and lasted for about 20 minutes.

We just have to plan for more days the next time around.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Glad you enjoyed our parks. What were your overall impressions? What attractions did you managed to experience? How do you like it compared to Disneyland?

I welcome your perspective.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Directly directed

Ooh Love that villians float! Your pictures are wonderful! I'm planning a trip for 2012 and seeing your pictures makes it even more exciting!!!

Cool Re: Yes another trip report - picture heavy

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Glad you enjoyed our parks. What were your overall impressions? What attractions did you managed to experience? How do you like it compared to Disneyland?

I welcome your perspective.
    Well, I really hate to compare the 2, like them both and also since DLP is the younger brother and has improved some aspects of his older brother, but it is hard not to:

POTC >> liked the non-commercialized version – the story seemed to have flowed a bit better – but missed the double drop that they have a DL, plus I like the bayou scene in DL a bit better.

Phantom Manor >> again, the story seemed to flow a bit better. But the audio seemed quiet and it almost seemed like the doom buggies didn’t have speakers in them.

Castle >> a nice update with the over all looks and the way it was incorporated with the landscaping. The balcony and of course the ‘basement’ are nice add-ons.

Nautilus >> a bit disappointed, the squid attack seemed to be a bit on the weak side. I would have preferred that it came closer and perhaps actually touch the ‘glass’ and maybe some sort of strobe effect to simulate the electrical shock that was used to ‘persuade’ it to let go.

Big Thunder >> thoroughly seemed to have enjoyed this version more.

Peter Pan >> can’t say I really noticed any difference.

TOT >> seems to be very similar to DL.

Crush >> was planning on this one, but the warning screens changed my mind – I easily get motion sickness when any kind of video screens are used.

Food >> ate at the BBQ place (forget the exact name) in Frontierland and the food was good. We ate outside of the park after we left (Planet Hollywood), so what can I say.

Merchandizing seemed a bit weaker.

We also seemed to find it a little harder to find our way around vs. DL, some of the paths didn’t seem obvious. It also seems that we must have taken the back way into all of the lands expect for Frontierland - didn't seem to notice any big signs announcing Adventureland, etc (DL seems to have a better layout - but then it was our first time at DLP and only had the one day). We also noticed that it did not seem as clean (there was garbage in the water features and on the street). There also seemed to be some confusion with the cast members at the entrance as they didn’t seem to know what to do about our ticket vouchers (they were bought in Canada before we left) – we arrived at 9:00 am but it was close to 10:30 by the time we were able to actually enter the park. At DL, we just go to the ticket booth and they just give us the park pass and off we go. At DLP, they sent us off to customer relations and then is was a number of phone calls and photocopies before everything was figured out. To be fair, it’s probably not very often that they encounter something like this.

All that being said, I would like to return sometime in the future and spend a few more days there and explore the parks at a much more leisurely pace (not to mention a couple of other places).

Granted, I would also like to visit DL a lot more and still have to make it to WDW (and TDL).

Anyways, now that I am rambling, back to your regularly scheduled program...
    Last edited by Mickey_Moose; 08-17-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling

• Senior Minion

That park is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing all those lovely pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey_Moose View Post

Well, I really hate to compare the 2, like them both and also since DLP is the younger brother and has improved some aspects of his older brother, but it is hard not to

he,he, he - it's not like you are comparing it to the sucky Magic Kingdom in Florida. There are some great comparisons to be drawn between the 2

POTC >> liked the non-commercialized version – the story seemed to have flowed a bit better – but missed the double drop that they have a DL, plus I like the bayou scene in DL a bit better.

Agreed, although we have 2 drops too, just further apart - the first plunging into the ship and fort battle, the second going from the explosion into the caverns

Phantom Manor >> again, the story seemed to flow a bit better. But the audio seemed quiet and it almost seemed like the doom buggies didn’t have speakers in them.

Sadly this has been slowly dying over the years, plus I think there have been a lot of European complaining about volume. Almost all the rides are quieter than they used to be (PM, Space Mountain etc.) Either that, or I am going deaf! lol

Castle >> a nice update with the over all looks and the way it was incorporated with the landscaping. The balcony and of course the ‘basement’ are nice add-ons.

Amen

Nautilus >> a bit disappointed, the squid attack seemed to be a bit on the weak side. I would have preferred that it came closer and perhaps actually touch the ‘glass’ and maybe some sort of strobe effect to simulate the electrical shock that was used to ‘persuade’ it to let go.

Was there no lightening? There used to be. They really have been running this attraction into the ground. It has been ages since I have been in there because it only ever seems to be open at lunch time, when we are enjoying our main meal (and the rule of thumb is never dine in Discoveryland).

Big Thunder >> thoroughly seemed to have enjoyed this version more.

Peter Pan >> can’t say I really noticed any difference.

TOT >> seems to be very similar to DL.

Lol, yep, I love our BTMRR the best. With Peter Pan, the only difference really is the bigger ride vehicles that can accommodate more people, but we don't often bother as we feel it is overrated. TOT is almost exactly the same, it was designed specifically for WDSP, but DCA got it 1st :-( At least we have a garden and an amazing view.

Crush >> was planning on this one, but the warning screens changed my mind – I easily get motion sickness when any kind of video screens are used.

That's a shame in some ways, but I really think, like Indy, this one is totally overrated. ToT, Cinemagique, Moteurs Action, RnR Coaster and Armageddon are the real stars of that park for me.

Food >> ate at the BBQ place (forget the exact name) in Frontierland and the food was good. We ate outside of the park after we left (Planet Hollywood), so what can I say.

Cowboy Cookout BBQ - was the band on? You chose well for counter service. There and Fuente del Oro (the mexican) are the 2 best counter service restaurants in the resort. Shame you didn't get to try our very good table service experiences at DLP. They really take the park to a different level than DL.

Merchandizing seemed a bit weaker.

We also seemed to find it a little harder to find our way around vs. DL, some of the paths didn’t seem obvious. It also seems that we must have taken the back way into all of the lands expect for Frontierland - didn't seem to notice any big signs announcing Adventureland, etc (DL seems to have a better layout - but then it was our first time at DLP and only had the one day). We also noticed that it did not seem as clean (there was garbage in the water features and on the street). There also seemed to be some confusion with the cast members at the entrance as they didn’t seem to know what to do about our ticket vouchers (they were bought in Canada before we left) – we arrived at 9:00 am but it was close to 10:30 by the time we were able to actually enter the park. At DL, we just go to the ticket booth and they just give us the park pass and off we go. At DLP, they sent us off to customer relations and then is was a number of phone calls and photocopies before everything was figured out. To be fair, it’s probably not very often that they encounter something like this.

Merchandise is pretty god aweful right now. It used to be great in the early years, but now it is all generic rubbish really (there were some nice things for the 15th Anniversary). But sadly it's poor at WDW too. DL is the only resort where I ever part with serious cash.

As for the paths, it was designed so there were a mix of large thoroughfares and also lots of places to explore. That's why after 50+ visits over the years, I am still finding new things. Love that aspect, but I see how it could be a little confusing for a first timer. DL has one main path for each land on the hub and one around the spokes and that is it. Adventureland has 5 entrances, Frontierland 4, Fantasyland 3 (unless the backstage gate is open) and Discoveryland 1 (unless the backstage gate is open).

For cleanliness, it pains me to agree, it is not great at DLP, though a lot of that is the impact of European culture too I am afraid. Dl is the cleanest English speaking park, DLP is almost the antithesis, but still the cleanest place in Europe.

And Cast members do not do well with the unknown. In the US, the ethos is pretty much can do in the parks. Being in France, bureauracy rules, and it can hinder. I always advise people to only use standard DLP media if they are short on time. This is not the first time I have read of delays. Though to be fair, unless you were staying in a Disney resort, the park didn't open until 10.

All that being said, I would like to return sometime in the future and spend a few more days there and explore the parks at a much more leisurely pace (not to mention a couple of other places).

Granted, I would also like to visit DL a lot more and still have to make it to WDW (and TDL).

Anyways, now that I am rambling, back to your regularly scheduled program...
    Indeed you must come back. No mention of Space Mountain (so different to anywhere else, in a good way), or the Labrynth, or It's a Small World (the very best version), and all the real goodies you missed in the Studios. That said, for only one day, it sounds like you did well.

I am glad you enjoyed our park. Disneyland will always be my fav, DLP comes a close 2nd (if they could sort out the sorts of issues we discussed and bring in some of the missing e-tickets/entertainment.

Thanks for sharing

• Senior Minion

We also seemed to find it a little harder to find our way around vs. DL, some of the paths didn’t seem obvious. It also seems that we must have taken the back way into all of the lands expect for Frontierland - didn't seem to notice any big signs announcing Adventureland, etc (DL seems to have a better layout - but then it was our first time at DLP and only had the one day).
    Ah but this is one of the great features of DLP - it's meandering layout. Of course this is perhaps less charming when you only have a day to get around it, but for the slower-paced guest this feature throws up all sorts of surprises and lovely little details.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Ah but this is one of the great features of DLP - it's meandering layout. Of course this is perhaps less charming when you only have a day to get around it, but for the slower-paced guest this feature throws up all sorts of surprises and lovely little details.
    Yep, and is part of my annoyance at WDW. There feels like there is so little detail. Because of age and the organic nature of the original DL, it is repleat with detail. And DLP was designed with loads of detail to compete with the palaces and gardens of Europe. But WDW's MK is a real meh experience.

Tucson, Arizona, but I wish I was in Philly, PA

cool pics

I will be at DisneyWorld on April 29, 2011-May 4, 2011. If You Are Going The Same Time Message Me

• Membre

Wonderful pics, Thanks !!!

• Minion

Great pics! I really liked the one with Phantom Manor and the Molly Brown (?) together.
    I want my cake back!

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Agreed, although we have 2 drops too, just further apart - the first plunging into the ship and fort battle, the second going from the explosion into the caverns

For cleanliness, it pains me to agree, it is not great at DLP, though a lot of that is the impact of European culture too I am afraid. Dl is the cleanest English speaking park, DLP is almost the antithesis, but still the cleanest place in Europe.

And Cast members do not do well with the unknown. In the US, the ethos is pretty much can do in the parks. Being in France, bureauracy rules, and it can hinder. I always advise people to only use standard DLP media if they are short on time. This is not the first time I have read of delays. Though to be fair, unless you were staying in a Disney resort, the park didn't open until 10.

Cowboy Cookout BBQ - was the band on? You chose well for counter service. There and Fuente del Oro (the mexican) are the 2 best counter service restaurants in the resort. Shame you didn't get to try our very good table service experiences at DLP. They really take the park to a different level than DL.

Indeed you must come back. No mention of Space Mountain (so different to anywhere else, in a good way), or the Labrynth, or It's a Small World (the very best version), and all the real goodies you missed in the Studios. That said, for only one day, it sounds like you did well.

I am glad you enjoyed our park. Disneyland will always be my fav, DLP comes a close 2nd (if they could sort out the sorts of issues we discussed and bring in some of the missing e-tickets/entertainment.

Thanks for sharing
    POTC >> you are correct - not sure why I didn't remember that when I typed that.

Cowboy Cookout .. yes that was the name, and yes they had a live band playing.

Cast members >> like I said, the park probably hardly has to deal with tickets vouchers bought in Canada, so there is probably no training provided to the cast members - not faulting them, just know for the next time to: 1) arrive a bit earlier, or 2) just pay the full price and buy the tickets at the park.

Space Mountain .. no real excuse for not going on it, kind of weird, looked at it a number of times, we were right there next to the entrance too (looked at Autopia, but that was shut down due to the rain) - just never really went on it for some reason.

Labrynth .. same goes for this, we looked at it, but never went in.

Small World .. we kind of stay away from this now, mostly due to being stuck inside of the one at DL for 45 minutes and having that song, played, over and over and over again. Was enough to turn us off of Small World - I know a weak excuse, but neither of us can stand the song anymore.

Anyways, I am sure we will be back...

Quote Originally Posted by seenoevil View Post
    Great pics! I really liked the one with Phantom Manor and the Mark Twain (?) together.
    Fixed. I was actually looking forward to seeing the Molly Brown, but she wasn`t out.
    Last edited by Mickey_Moose; 08-18-2009 at 07:44 PM.