Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Rock The World

Exclamation Armageddon to close?

I've just been reading Disneytheque (www.disneytheque.com), and they've posted a rumour that Armageddon - Les Effets Speciaux could be scrapped within a few years. The rumour cites persistent technical difficulties and a low guest satisfaction rate as the main reasons for the possible closure.
    If true, then the attraction will most likely close its doors soon after the Tower Of Terror opens. It will then re-open as a new attraction on a similar special effects theme, allowing the Imagineers to leave many of the main technical components (such as the large gas tanks that sit on top of the building) in place. The only word as to what this new theme may be is "something that makes heavy use of fire". At present, there is no word of this actually being an official movie tie-in: it may just be a generic "special effects" type display.
    I'm not sure what to make of this. It's true that the maintenance teams have always had trouble with this attraction, but then they've had trouble with ALL the attractions. And if they're going to leave most of the main effects in place, how is that going to make their job easier? (Unless their main technical worry isn't fire related.)
    I suppose Armageddon is something of a weak link in the park, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it did realy close. If nothing else, the film tie-in is getting pretty old.
    Last edited by soundtracker; 10-15-2005 at 01:51 AM.

• Banned User

Re: Armageddon to close?

OMG.. WDSP can not afford to loose any attractions... There is hardly anything to do there as it is... Why can't they close the awful AniMagique show instead and place something truly spectacular celebrating the legacy of Disney films, the same way "CineMagique" delivers in other facets of the film industry??

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Is guest satisfaction truly low, or is that a lie?

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    OMG.. WDSP can not afford to loose any attractions... There is hardly anything to do there as it is... Why can't they close the awful AniMagique show instead and place something truly spectacular celebrating the legacy of Disney films, the same way "CineMagique" delivers in other facets of the film industry??
    I agree

I mean can this park even afford to cycle attractions like this at all?

DCA did it for a while but it doesn't really help the park GET anywere if it's problem is ridecount

and with WDSP the problem is all the much more accute

I sure hope they actualy don't try this, they're best to just keep adding attractions in before considering closing down weak ones

• Banned User

>>Is that a lie?<<

Personally? I didn't care much for this show... which played in the same fashion as Universal does Backdraft or Twister.. The audience moves from one show room to another, then on to the big finale stage. Frankly, UNiversal's similar offerings are much better IMO... Armaggedon was OK but not really all that well thoughtout. The show in the main theaters was basically people standind there are effects went off around. Problem is...since there was no seating or railings, guests would move around as the show unfolded..as the guests tried to catch up with the special effects. Made for unpleasant viewing conditions. That's my opinion on it.

• Diamond In The Rough

Personally I like the show - the fact that the effects went on around you made it more immersive than the usual "stand there and look at the explosions" effects show. But they do need to do something about the pre-show. It's way too long and boring - cut it down to Michael Clarke Duncan's bit and leave it at that.
    Why can't they close the awful AniMagique show instead?
    Too right. Although I don't have a problem with blacklight puppets, the show itself just doesn't click on a "magical" level. Should just update it with better effects/songs/story.

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• Rock The World

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I sure hope they actualy don't try this, they're best to just keep adding attractions in before considering closing down weak ones
    If the rumour is true, then it won't be closing until Turtle Twister, Cars and the Tower of Terror are all up and running, so at least they will have a few extra attractions to cushion the blow. Not enough by far, I grant you, but then they closed the entire Disney Channel tour for three months in the park's very first summer season, simply because guest satisfaction was dangerously low. So they've done this sort of thing before.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaJay18
    But they do need to do something about the pre-show. It's way too long and boring - cut it down to Michael Clarke Duncan's bit and leave it at that.
    I agree. The main show is fine, and when all the effects are working, I think it's actually pretty good. But the pre-show needs some serious pruning!

• is satisfactual.

Amen to that. The main show is fine by me. It's just that that loooong pre-show raises expectations that can't be met. You think you're being held hostage with those annoying pseudo-comedians because they're preparing the show of the decade behind those doors, which is hardly true.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Even if ToT and Crush are open...that's still killing one attraction which WDS can't afford to do.
    I mean it's not like they could redo the tour the way the Studio Tour was redone...getting rid of the Armageddon tie in...to just use the same effects more genericly makes no sense...how would this help at all?
    This sounds like one of those "good" rumors. Though I supppose its been a bit since we've had anything rediculous so I guess its time, and they can be fun to hear how crazy they are some time.
    < Skeptic.

• Banned User

My friends from Paris are telling me this only rumor.

Kill the pre-show and guest satisfaction rate will surely rise!
    I thought the main show was not that bad. But if it has to go, I would rather see something completely different. Not an 'improved' show with different storyline.
    - Milo

• Rock The World

My friends from Paris are telling me this only rumor.
    Same here. This is nothing more than speculation at the moment. Interesting speculation though!

Yeah, killing the preshow (or getting rid of most of it) would help and increase capacity. That's why at Universal Studios Florida I didn't do Twister, Earthquake, Poseidon's Fury too often. Preshows are just too boring and long usually.

As for Backdraft, if all preshows could be like the second preshow room, with the surprise fire blast, I would not mind preshows!

As formain shows, I've done Backdraft, Poseidon's Fury and Twister and my preferances are that. Backdraft is just the best I've seen. But, all my european friends are telling me that "Templo Del Fuego" at Port Aventura in Spain is the best of the kind. It involves a stuntman (explorer) angrying a fire god in a mexican temple and fire is in front... and over you! The stuntman is actually in the main show till the serious stuff starts!

Another good one I've seen on video is "Terminator 2" at little Movie Studios in Italy. It involves live actors fighting terminators in a steel mill. It looks really, really good. Also, the park has an innovative truck ride through a wasteland.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker
    ......... and a low guest satisfaction rate as the main reasons for the possible closure.
    I can't see this as a reason to close the attraction. I mean if they really cared about low guest satisfaction they would close the whole park

• Soy una Cornquistadora!

Low guest satisfaction... yeah... that's pretty much how I felt after waiting in line for half an hour to see Armageddon! I agree - If they cut the pre-show, it would lessen the torture, but not enough to save the show.

I didn't think CineMagique was too bad, but that Backlot Tram was pretty sad. (Oh yay, another prop from Pearl Harbor...) I guess coming from the land of backlot trams will spoil any non-Californian imitation.

In DLRPS' defense, Lights, Moteurs, Action was the saving grace in a dull day of Disney Studio doom.
    double the powder and shorten the fuse?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast