Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• WishICouldBePartofYourWWW

Disneyland Paris Dec 11, 2009 - Trip Photos by JDN

I took a short vacation to Paris, so set aside a day to visit the Disneyland Paris park on December 11, 2009. My baseline park (or home park) is Disneyland in California.

Getting to Disneyland from Paris is usually an easy and fairly inexpensive RER train ride. Unfortunately for me, when I went to board the train, I discovered that the RER A train line workers were on strike. Rerouting myself to the park took a good part of the day, so I arrived later than I wanted and only had a few hours left for the park, which closed at 7pm that Friday night.

The train does bring you right up to the park entrance.

Since I arrived late, I opted for the single park 1 day ticket. They do offer a 1 day 2 park hopper ticket. They also were promoting a “upgrade your current ticket to an annual pass” program inside the park; overall, the price for the annual pass was less than 2 single 1-day tickets.

The Disney Village is similar to the downtown Disney district. The large balloon in the background took passengers up for a quick aerial view on the resort (and I was slightly surprised it wasn’t themed à la Up).

There was a small Christmas Market setup outside the park. These Christmas Markets are like flea markets, full of gifts, foodstuffs, and crafts.

Entering the park area we arrive at the bag screening station. I think one of the major differences in overall feel of this park from the other Disney parks I frequent is exemplified by this picture: Cast Members Only. No hidden backstage entrance, just a less-than-magical “cast members only” sign.

The Mickey garden is outside the ticket sales stands, located inside this building. Also, notice the Tickets Printed @ Home gate; immediately next to this was a “special invitation” gate. These gates are to the side, slightly removed from the main front entrance gates immediately by the ticket stands.

Classic American Disney flair at the entrance with Main Street U.S.A. and City Hall. I wonder if the steel-monogram on the railroad railings is ED for Euro Disney…

The Christmas Tree and a daytime shot of the castle and stage area in the hub. Notice the stage is pre-set with stick-ribbons for the show 4 hours later in the evening.

General Pictures from around the Park.

There was a small camera crew recording video of a woman (tv personality?) in the park.

Thunder Mountain Rail Road is different in that the load/unload is across the river from the main ride’s track, so the beginning and end of the ride you are travelling under the river.

Indiana Jones is “regular” roller coaster, not the full ride experience like at Disneyland. It is more like a mouse coaster, with short trains of cars (I think there were only 8 rows of people per train) [BeDay corrected to say there are 2 cars with 6 rows each per train]. I was a little surprised (disappointed?) when I realized that the roller coaster was operating in the forward direction… Last time I had ridden, they were running the cars backward. Apparently that only lasted for a few years (while they were revamping Space Mountain to mission 2 and then a few years after that). After riding, I was happy to have been going forward – the coaster was a little more intense than I was expecting. I think this coaster was the first inversion in a Disneyland park?

Pirates. The Blue Lagoon is like Blue Bayou… except it looked a little more efficient (less nice) than Blue Bayou in Disneyland. Also, a menu billboard shot.

Toad Hall is a dining area. However, we do have Alice’s Curious Labyrinth maze / adventure area.

Also, Fairytaleland boats are ready for quick load/unload action!

It’s a Small World appeared have the longest line of all the attractions in the park that evening.

A rare few of us have seen the back side of water. Now, almost as thrilling, I’d like to present to you the back side of Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant.

There’s another show / auditorium area between the castle and discoveryland (tommorowland).

Discoveryland scenery… Note the light that is out in the VIDEOPOLIS sign.

Tout ce qui est dans la limite du possible doit être et sera accomplie.

Space Mountain Mission 2 was awesome. I had ridden it before, but really appreciate it more today. It was still adequately dark, but there seemed to be many more stars and asteroids, etc…. the only thing I missed was the ride music I love so much at Disneyland. [BeDay tells me the music should have been there, and in fact, was the first indoor coaster with synchronized music, so I must have either had a bad seat or been really out of it!]

For the uninitiated, the premise of Space Mountain Mission 1’s story is based on Jules Verne’s writings of blasting man into space with a large gun-like mechanism. I did not see the quote in the queue this time, but I believe it translates roughly along the lines of space exploration being possible for man by using enough gun powder to blast us to the moon. As such, the ride starts off in the barrel of a large shotgun mechanism, and the riders are “blasted” up into space with the same magnet propulsion used on the DCA California Screamin’ Coaster. [BeDay clarifies some of my errors: Mission 1 was based on Jules Verne's From Earth to Space with the shot gun, whereas Mission 2 you are catapulted to a supernova. Now that I think about it, last time I rode (mission 1) there was a drawing of a moon with a face on it we were rushing up to. Also, please note the mechanism for the launch is different from the CA Screamin' coaster. See BeDay's post for lots of good information.]

Marine vessels from around Space Mountain (more Joules Verne theme) and Autopia (sponsored by Ford).

Star Tours. Something I don’t usually see at Disneyland in California, cast members are helped maintain a positive body temperature with portable propane heaters.

Main Street and the Castle at night. There was a tree lighting ceremony show, where the tree lights up, then the blue street lamps light up, and it starts to “snow”.

Then there is a show with Mickey and Friends (and dancers), followed by the lighting of the castle. I situated myself in between the stage and the castle, so my pictures are washed out with stage lighting.

Finally, a few pics from the Fantillusion parade.

I put together some video clips of scenes around the park, the tree lighting, the castle lighting, and the castle lighting show.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2D4u9bLBLY"]YouTube- Disneyland Paris December 2009[/ame]

Hope you enjoy!

Last edited by JDN; 12-23-2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Updated to reflect some corrections and clarifications provided by BeDay.

Re: Disneyland Paris Dec 11, 2009 - Trip Photos by JDN

I hope you had a great day at Disneyland Paris even with the strikes on Public transport .

Space Mountain wasn't rough this time ? What about Phantom Manor ? Isn't that weird that coming from California and being used to Disneyland Resort . The first thing you see from Outside is DCA's TOT lol .

Sad you couldn't make it to the WDS . This park make DCA more enjoyable for all DL Annual Passholders who complained about this park .

Ha, you are too funny.
    There's a little bit more to the story with the RER strike... I left the park before fantillusion began so I could catch the "last train" on the reduced schedule. Turns out it had already left, so I had to talk my way back into the park to catch the parade!

With space mountain, and in fact all of the coasters, I found it interesting that all of them had instances where the coaster vehicles were slowed down on the tracks (on space mountain this was right before going through the middle of the meteor). Indiana Jones had something similar in the middle of the ride. I will say that I found the 2 coasters more intense than what I was used to, but I was willing to write that off to my still adjusting to the 9 hours time difference, and not eating anything that day. Nota Bene: DLP food options are scarce outside of traditional meal windows. Here in the US you can stuff your face with junk food practically 24/7.

Your comment about WDS making DCA look better... haha. I kinda like DCA for what it is. I am also not an annual passholder, as I live ~350 miles away. So in small doses, DCA is just fine. Nothing spectacular, but still full of disney magic.

• Membre

Thanks for sharing. Love your pictures

Great pictures

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

It's so strange to see Indiana Jones as a basic roller coaster, but the alice maze thing looks super fun!

Thanks for the awesome report!

• Cars Land Rocks!

Nice pictures. I enjoyed the video, thanks for posting.

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Awesome pics, I have never really seen much of DLP.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Great job on your Trip Report, JDN!

The photos you took of Disneyland Paris were amazing. I really liked your photos from around Main Street, both daytime and nighttime. The City Hall there looks really nice, and much more grander than here in the US.

I also liked the shots of Space Mountain. From what I've heard there are about three inversions (I know I haven't been on it, but it looks really awesome), right? It looks like fun.

Your Big Thunder Mountain photos were awesome, too. I've seen footage of it, and your photo proves it has more detail.

This Trip Report makes me want to go there really bad!

• Bucket List Car

This is a really wonderful trip report; thanks for sharing. Great photos!!

Hey Rocker, it was nice meeting you the first weekend in October this past year!

As for space mountain, I was actually enjoying the ride and not being my normal analytic self and logging the track. Maybe if I had gone on more than once... From what I remember there were one or two inversions, ... I can't remember for sure between space mountain and Indiana Jones, but I think there was a loop and a corkscrew. Also, near the end on Space Mountain there was a tube you go trough with neon light where the lights are twisted to give the illusion of you corkscrewing or vortexing or something, similar to the rotating lights on the chain up in DL space mountain.

Thunder Mountain had a slightly more comical scene with the goat.

Did I mention that in Pirates the story is jumbled up from what we're used to? Also, the pillaging scene is more "authentic"... the pirates are chasing the women. In fact, there was a window with shadows of what would appear to be a woman being pushed around and picked up and thrown over the shoulder of a pirate or two! I was too stunned watching to think to grab my camera in time!

• hatbox ghost believer

Just beautiful! Thank you for sharing your piccies!
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

Hello JDN, and the rest of Miceage/Micechat

I think this is my first post however, there are so many things in the report were i want to comment about. no offense. Just some explanation why things are, the way they are at DLRP.

They also were promoting a “upgrade your current ticket to an annual pass” program inside the park; overall, the price for the annual pass was less than 2 single 1-day tickets.
    This is partly true. Indeed there are annual passes which do cost about E90,-. These are however passes with a lot (for paris) of block-out days acces to the park for 300 days. The regular annual pass with park access 365 days a year costs about E190,- (about $285,-). In earlier days, about 2 years ago the mentioned cheap annual passes were only available for people within the greater greater paris area. There is one more pass for about E130,- with 335 access days.

Classic American Disney flair at the entrance with Main Street U.S.A. and City Hall. I wonder if the steel-monogram on the railroad railings is ED for Euro Disney…
    Actually the monogram says EDRR, Euro Disney RailRoad. These are very expensive details to remove or replace. Nevertheless even the cheap details, like a painted Euro disneyland Railroad sign on the Frontierland water tower was only removed 2 weeks ago. Probably the monogram on Main Street station is one of the only physical memories in the parks of the Euro Disney period. People around here (Netherlands) do however still call it informally Euro Disney. The operating company of the Disneyland Paris resort is as well still called Euro Disney SCA.

Indiana Jones is “regular” roller coaster, not the full ride experience like at Disneyland. It is more like a mouse coaster, with short trains of cars (I think there were only 8 rows of people per train). I was a little surprised (disappointed?) when I realized that the roller coaster was operating in the forward direction… Last time I had ridden, they were running the cars backward. Apparently that only lasted for a few years (while they were building Space Mountain and then a few years after that). After riding, I was happy to have been going forward – the coaster was a little more intense than I was expecting. I think this coaster was the first inversion in a Disneyland park?
    There are 6 rows/car and 2 cars/train. The attraction is already going forward since 2004, so you haven't been in Disneyland Paris for some time. The backward operation was started in 2000 and lasted until 2004 indeed for just a few years. Space Mountain was build in 1994 (opened 1995) and the rebuilt to space mountain mission 2 was in 2005. So the space mountain claim is pretty false. It is indeed a pretty intense coaster, a standard Intamin. Raging Spirits in TDS is exactly the same lay-out (maybe mirrored, I'm not sure) but indeed more themed. This was indeed the very first Disney coaster with an inversion.

Space Mountain has only 2 real inversion and 1 fake. Rock 'n Rollercoaster has 3 inversion. Disneyland Resort paris is also world leader of the the disney resort with the most inversions.

the only thing I missed was the ride music I love so much at Disneyland.
    Did you have no music at all, or did you have different music then the disneyland (anaheim) music? The composition for the new (mission 2) music is of the same composer as the disneyland music. Did I mention that Space Mountain was the first indoor coaster with synchronized ride music? The actual first coaster with synchronized music was Casey Jr. in Disneyland Paris, a powered coaster next to storybookland (Le pays des contes fees). Both rollercoasters are manufactured by the Dutch rollercoaster manufacturer Vekoma.

For the uninitiated, the premise of Space Mountain Mission 2’s story is based on Jules Verne’s writings of blasting man into space with a large gun-like mechanism. I did not see the quote in the queue this time, but I believe it translates roughly along the lines of space exploration being possible for man by using enough gun powder to blast us to the moon. As such, the ride starts off in the barrel of a large shotgun mechanism, and the riders are “blasted” up into space with the same magnet propulsion used on the DCA California Screamin’ Coaster.
    Actual this is the story of 'mission 1'. The canon (Columbiad canon) is borrowed for mission 2. In mission 1 the journey went to the moon. In mission to we are shot to an exploding supernova. The blast system is far from the same system as California Screamin'. Not only California Screamin' is from a different manufacturer (Intamin) instead of Vekoma. California Screamin' is indeed catapulted with with 'magnets' (LIM or LSM) which is somewhat similar to the launch of Rock 'n Rollercoaster (but not exactly similar). Space Mountain is launched with a catapult system which is similar to the catapult system used on a flight carrier.

Hopefully you had a wonderful time in Disneyland Paris (as the resort is now officially called) and more specific in Disneyland Parc or in english Disneyland Park. I even more hope you had a wonderful time in Europe.

Greetings Barth

Thank you so much for sharing your photos and information about DLP! I am going in June and am I a little scared and excited all at the same time! Knowing that the train station is right there was a wonderful thing to share!

I will be there at a busy time, so I hope to get to ride many of the rides you posted here. I am going with my mom, who HATES roller coaters. So if I had to just do one, do you think Space Mountain or Indy???

Sara
    WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
    DLR: 1999, 2009
    DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
    http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

BeDay, Welcome to MiceChat! This was my first post, too!

Thank you so much for all the great information (and clarifications / corrections) to the details I posted. I am definitely not a DLRP expert (I've probably spent less than 10 hours total in the park), but I am a fan, and was just trying to convey some of what I (thought I) knew to those who have even less experience than I do!

In my head, I hadn't figured out that Space Mountain Mission 2 was actually a new version of the same coaster in Paris... I was merging the two together and assumed it was always called mission 2, hence my mixing of the back stories.

I am so glad you chimed in. I hope you will continue to enlighten us with your expertise in the forums!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast