Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Jack Sparrow coming to Disneyland Paris

David Minichiello, Disney's creative development director has reported to the Telegraph that Disneyland Paris is looking into adding the Jack Sparrow overlay to its POTC attraction.

With Euro Disney's fortunes declining it may be tougher to fund big budget rides but Mr Minichiello adds that "budget is not as big a focus as making sure it is successful aesthetically and from the guest's point of view".
    One trick up his sleeve is introducing Disney's ever-expanding portfolio of brands to its older rides.
    "Sometimes we will be asked to look at older attractions like Pirates of the Caribbean and freshen them up," Minichiello says.
    "Children today grew up with the movies, so we put animatronic characters from the movies in the ride in Florida and we are looking at doing it here in Paris."
    Euro Disney's debt drags fairytale back to reality - Telegraph

• Geek

Re: Jack Sparrow coming to Disneyland Paris

ok, i'm a huge fan of the films but i think they should leave the ride as it is. most of the US micechatters say they preferred their rides before.

I agree. Leave Pirates as it is. I find this article rather worrying having seen the fate of some of the US park attractions - Stitch at WDW MK, Tarzans Treehouse at DL etc.

• Bangarang!

Its that old argument - we fans knew of the attraction before the film whereas Joe Public probably thinks it was based on the film. So adding Sparrow is only going to compound that view.

No doubt Paris will make these changes in time for Pirates IV's release.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I really don't have a problem with Disneyland Paris wanting to add the Characters from the movie to the attraction. And the way I see it, the Paris version looks weak because it hasn't receieved the update yet. I'm also hoping Management can look into fairly quickly changing Star Tours once the US Parks have completed the Star Tours II projects. The only time I'm against these sort of enhancements is when the upgrade ruins the attraction like Space Mountain Mision II, which sucks or the Tiki Room featuring Stitch at Tokyo Disneyland.

I know many of you will disagree with me, but in my opinion Jack Sparrow would be a great addition. At least we loved it at WDW.

PotC in Paris needs the upgrade, because it is a walk on attraction and many people are not interested anymore. I'm sure PotC will get more attention with Jack and Barbossa again. PotC is one of our favorite attractions and it really dserves more people.

• Bangarang!

^OK you've won me over there. If it creates a bit of hype then they should do it.

Plus it would, I'm assuming, be quite a relatively cheap addition (as opposed to a whole new attraction) and should see good returns.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Pirate - G'har!

Well if it makes them spruce up the whole attraction - great version as it is - that's at least one good thing.

• Pongo is my hero.

I bet this is for the New Generation Festival... X-I

I'm not liking the direction DLRP is going in this campaign. The only thing is the rumored Ratatouille ride, but that's 2 years away if true.

one hundred and one

• WDW CM & HM fan

I am actually looking forward to seeing the "classic" POTC when I go to DLP in October. I do like the addition of the film's music to the ride, and don't mind Jack & Capt B in there (except for the treasure room scene - ).
    AKA doombuggy
    1974 - 1983 WDW day trips * 1992 WDW off site * 1994 WDW Contemporary * 1997 WDW off site * 1997 WDW Polynesian * 1998 DL PAC * 1999 DL Disneyland Hotel * 2000 WDW Coronado/Port Orleans * 2001 WDW off site * 2002 DL Disneyland Hotel * 2002 WDW/Happy Haunts Ball * 2003 WDW Riverside * 2003 WDW Happy Haunts Ball * 2004 Moved to Orlando * 2006 DVC Member * 2006 DLR * 2007 Pirate & Princess Party * 2007 DVBR * 2007 OKW * 2007 VWL * 2008 GCH * 2009 BLT * 2009 AKV * 2010 OKW * 2010 SSR * 2010 DLP DLH * 2011 BLT*2011 AKL*2012 BWV*2014 Aulani

I have to agree with golden redhead. I am looking forward to seeing the "classic" version of the ride (Which I personally haven't seen since 1986). I don't mind the updated version, but I think it is neat to keep at least one park in the world with the classic one.
    WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
    DLR: 1999, 2009
    DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
    http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

• Shifting cargo

In all honestly, DLR's POTC film overlay has taken away from the originality of the ride and focuses it more towards the films. I feel that they added too many noticeable characters and references to the film. I think that a non-speaking Jack Sparrow AA or two could do the trick, but the Davy Jones mist projection, the talking Jack Sparrow at the very end, and the POTC film music with Barbossa, overdid it completely.

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

I wonder if such an overlay would reflect the POTC films so far or the one coming up. But I'd miss being able to see the original ride setup from when I was a kid next time I'm at DLRP. Maybe they should just give Sparrow and Skellington their own attractions, like in here: 2 Jack doujinshi by Kuma

• Dutch Dreamer

This is no news...

Jack Sparrow has allready been confirmed for the 2008 rehab to all members of the shareholders club in a newsletter of december 2007.

Guess what.... it got silently cancelled.... and now they're "looking in to it"?????

WOW EDASCA!!! is it that hard to say that you just didn't have the cash back then and are now finaly adding this delayed animatronic (or animatronics).

and for all the people who are planning on going to DLRP: if by seeing the "classic PotC" you mean "attraction in desperate need of a major rehab" than you'll have the best trip ever.

I just hope that the budget is cut so that the *level* of integration is lower than at the Anaheim park. I don't mind the idea of Jack Sparrow being included at a base level--but it's too much. Instead of having *a* scene with Jack, nearly every village scene is now about Jack. Instead of searching for treasure, they're searching for Jack! It makes no sense to me that the Spanish town refuses to give up Jack Sparrow! Instead have Jack make a single appearance (in the treasure room) or two without the dialogue being all about him, and it becomes much more palatable. The Anaheim version feels like Imagineering brought a list of possible places to include Sparrow, and said "Ok, which one should we do?" and management simply replied, "all of them!" It's just too much....

Brer Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast