Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Newport Bay and Halloween Questions

I may be finding myself at DLP later this year and have two questions...

What is the Newport Bay Hotel like? As a regular at the Sequoia (and we really love it but are looking to ring the changes), it has always had a rather clinical atmosphere to my eye but has anyone here actually stayed there? How are the rooms? How are the facilities? Can anyone compare it to the Sequia from experience? My only visit to the Newport Bay was peeking through the windows of the pool and lobby at 3am one night when I couldn't sleep due to sciatica (and getting questioned by security - but that's another story!). And before anyone recommends the New York - I can't afford it!

Question 2 - Is Mickey's Not-So-Scary Party worth bothering with? What exactly happens? The brochure is rather vague!

Thanks in advance...

(And before antone dares to suggest such a thing - I was not peeking through the bedroom windows!!)
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Newport Bay and Halloween Questions

Hey nathan detroit good to see you thinking of returning to the resort this year. Be sure to include your dates in the Trip Planner.

I have heard a lot of negative comments regarding Newport Bay. Perhaps your better of staying with what you know instead of venturing into the unknown.

Mickey's Not-So-Scary Party is an after hours event where the park opens up the whole Fantasyland and parts of Adventureland. Not only do you have unlimited access to the attractions but special event offerings are made available like entertainment, decorations and costumed Characters. photosmagiques.com has pictures up from the 2008 event. Photos Magiques - Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party 2008

• Senior Minion

Thanks Malin. Can you be more specific with the issues at Newport Bay?

I like the idea of the NSSP but am worried it may be too busy for our tastes. We are looking to avoid the crowds by going in low season and this would be my only worry.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Bangarang!

Well I last stayed at the NPB in 2003, so my comments might not be 100% up to date.

Anyway it was the 3rd time I'd stayed there, and for the most part it looks ok. Its a huge hotel, and perhaps that might be one of its downsides. But then, no matter which hotel you stay in at peak time, you're going to get crowds.

TBH, the room was clean, but in '03 the whole hotel was in need of a spot of TLC (ie re-wallpapering the corridor after years of abuse from bellhops and guests with suitcases).
    The Admirals Floor didn't offer anything different than the regular floors other than to relieve you of a little extra cash for the privilege.

I had breakfast in the smaller of the two restaurants, it was usual affair - cereals, ham, cheese and pastries. 'course if you wanted scrambled eggs you had to pay extra.

I can't comment on the food in the restaurants at night as I ate in-park. Although I know their menus favour seafood.

I guess my review is a little indifferent, so sorry if its not much help.

The stay was reasonable, but last time I went in '08 I decided to stay at the Raddison. Much nicer hotel (gardens out back could do with a spot of TLC though), but better breakfast buffet, and a much quieter stay. Of course that does hinge on circumstances. It is in reality a business hotel (numerous conventions on while I was there - the likes of L'Oreal and BNP Paribas) and while there were children staying there its perhaps not the first choice if you have little'uns.

Plus side though, even though its right next to the entrance to Golf Disney in Magney-Le-Hongre, they do offer a bus service to the resort, but its only a short drive if you don't mind shelling out for the car park.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Banned User

Bare in my mind this is what I've read about the place and not from personal experience but complains range from the size of the place to the small number of lifts available. Wear and tear like Hathaway Browne points out is evident, although you get this with all Disney Hotels on site. I believe both Restaurants are now buffet to accomendate the half board meals.

I know some Micechat Members including Davewasbaloo have stayed here before, so hopely he'll be able to chime in on his thoughts soon.

Regarding MNSSP, I believe only a limited number of tickets are available for each night. MNSSP is very much a family friendly event.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Yep, we've stayed here a few times over the years. Beautiful to look at outside, but not great. It feels like a VERY crowded Holiday Inn at 5 star prices. There are only three lifts in the biggest hotel in Europe. And not enough space for all the guests to have breakfast (they serve breakfast in the conference centre in peak time). When the hotel was built, no one seemed to think about how B&B is a European stand by, in the US, it is not, so the hotel would not have been as much of a problem.

The bars no longer offer entertainment either.

The Admiral's floor offers slightly better service such as bell services and a limited room service menu. Also you can have breakfast in your room for 10 a day. But often the HNY is cheaper than the Admiral's Floor.

The place needs some real tlc, but the same can be said about all the DLP hotels with the exception of the extortionate DLH.

To say some nice things though, the Yacht Club is great for seafood, and the pool, particularly the outdoor one is nice.

But personally, I would always go for a Montana Room at SL or the HNY before the NBC. But that is me. We have some other friends who feel the NBC is the best thing since sliced bread. So there you go.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Senior Minion

I always go Montana at SL - unfortunately I am really trying to keep the purse strings tight and SL is not offering me 40% discount on the website.

How about the Cheyanne? Anyone stayed there? Is it worth paying extra for a Rio Grande room? And is it as inconveniently far away from the parks as it seems? How good is the shuttle service?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

The Cheyanne on foot is really not that far away walking distance from the Sequoia Lodge. Less than 5 minutes. I stayed here a few years back and its a fun hotel.

Its my experience that shuttle's run much more frequently than at Sequoia Lodge. Although it can get crowded during opening and closing park hours.

More details on the different room types here http://www.dlrptoday.com/2009/11/28/...premium-rooms/

• Empress of Randomness

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    I always go Montana at SL - unfortunately I am really trying to keep the purse strings tight and SL is not offering me 40% discount on the website.

How about the Cheyanne? Anyone stayed there? Is it worth paying extra for a Rio Grande room? And is it as inconveniently far away from the parks as it seems? How good is the shuttle service?

Yep I stayed there in Jan...and back in 2002 also.

Rooms are smaller since there is only 1 double bed and a set of bunk beds. It is less thatn a 10 min walk to the parks. Didn't have breakfast there so cannot comment.

I wouldn't pay extra for a Rio Grande room. All the rooms are the same and I think it is just a way to cod people into paying more for a room located in a certain area. At the end of the day what is the point in paying extra €€€ so that you can avoid walking an extra 2 or 3 minutes!

We very rarely used the shuttle to the parks and when we did they came every 8-10 mins as far as I can remember. It is much quicker to walk.

One problem in the room was that the tv acted up a little bit. But we weren't too fussed about watching constant Hannah Montana anyway

All the staff were great, especially the Sherrif in the bar.
    Last edited by Laura678; 05-24-2010 at 03:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Disneyland: 1998, 2005

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

• Senior Minion

Thanks for the feedback.

Money is tight in the Detroit household this year but after a tough time, we really need a little Disney magic! I am leaning towards the Cheyanne after such good reports (or at least an absence of bad ones) and the more I think of it, the more excited I get at the tought of donning a stetson.

More questions then...

As a regular to SL, I have never had this issue before but if you are a resident at another Disney Hotel are you still able to use the swimming pools at SL or NB?

Also, my local airport has scrapped its morning budget flight to Paris meaning we would not arrive at the Resort until around 7pm (a complete waste of a Disney day obviously). Does anyone know of a regional airport that has an early-ish direct flight to CDG with a budget airline? Preferably in the North of England but I would be willing to travel the night before and stay in a Travelodge.

Thanks
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Empress of Randomness

Thanks for the feedback.

Money is tight in the Detroit household this year but after a tough time, we really need a little Disney magic! I am leaning towards the Cheyanne after such good reports (or at least an absence of bad ones) and the more I think of it, the more excited I get at the tought of donning a stetson.

More questions then...

As a regular to SL, I have never had this issue before but if you are a resident at another Disney Hotel are you still able to use the swimming pools at SL or NB?
    Unfortunately no, This is a downside of staying at the Cheyenne or the SF.
    It is a real pity. I will just point out again though that the rooms in the Cheyenne are smaller than the rooms in the SF... Just a point worth noting...

Also, my local airport has scrapped its morning budget flight to Paris meaning we would not arrive at the Resort until around 7pm (a complete waste of a Disney day obviously). Does anyone know of a regional airport that has an early-ish direct flight to CDG with a budget airline? Preferably in the North of England but I would be willing to travel the night before and stay in a Travelodge.

Thanks
    Unfortunately I cant answer this since I'm in Ireland

However if you find an airline flying to Beauvais, the VEA now runs from Beauvais to DLP.

Disneyland: 1998, 2005

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

• Everthing is Satisfactual

I have stayed at the Santa Fe, Sequoia Lodge (on three occasions) and the Newport Bay Club.

Sequoia Lodge was always my favourite, but on our last visit (2008) the room was unclean, breakfast insanely busy and reception service seemed poor.

On my visit to NPBC (2007), true the place seemed worn - as most of the on-site hotels do - but I very much liked the setting (around the lake).
    The lifts did not seem a problem to me.
    The hotel is BIG - can take a long time walking through the corridors to reach your room if you are unlucky - so perhaps with kids, Cheyenne would be better as walking outside seems a lot nicer!
    Yacht Club is very good for a nice seafood dinner, other restaurant is just a buffet now, which isn't anything special.
    Swimming pools were nice, and not too crowded when I was there.
    Cleanliness was better than at Sequoia Lodge in my opinion.

Cheyenne is fun ND, and with the age of your family, is a really fun choice. SF is not so good. If money is tight, maybe consider a partner hotel off site, they offer better value most of the time.

• Senior Minion

Well, as Frontierland is our favourite land at DLP and I look rather dashing in a stetson - it looks like it may be the Cheyanne! Sadly our visit will not be confirmed until several medical issues can hopefully be resolved *fingers crossed*

BTW This may sound like an odd question but does the Cheyanne have any sort of video game arcade? This is really important to NDJnr!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

Well, as Frontierland is our favourite land at DLP and I look rather dashing in a stetson - it looks like it may be the Cheyanne! Sadly our visit will not be confirmed until several medical issues can hopefully be resolved *fingers crossed*

BTW This may sound like an odd question but does the Cheyanne have any sort of video game arcade? This is really important to NDJnr!
    Yes it does, a very small one.

Fingers crossed on the medical, think positive thoughts for you and yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast