Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Empress of Randomness

Paris and DLP June 13th-17th

So I have finally found some time to do my trip report from my holiday last week. I have just come out of hospital so I have lots of time on my hands to work away on my report. I have become a fan of reading other peoples detailed TR's so I have decided that this time round I will do a detailed TR as opposed to just posting photos!

Myself, my brother Barry, my mother and my boyfriend Jason spent 1 night in Paris and 3 nights in DLP.

On with the show...

Sunday 13th June

Jason, Barry, Mam and I got up at 3 am and we were on the road by 3:30am. We arrived at Dublin Airport at 5am and checked in straight away. The airport was surprisingly packed at that hour! We then went to a cafe and the 3 others had breakfast but I decided to wait until I was on the plane and I had a ham and cheese pannini. The flight was very turbulent and during our decent into Charles de Gaulle out my window I could see La Defense and La Tour Eiffel! As soon as we got to the luggage belt our luggage was waiting for us so we grabbed it and got the RER into Paris.

We arrived at our hotel which was 300 metres from the Arc de Triomphe at 11:30 and waited a while for our rooms to be ready. We all had a snooze until 2pm and then we got the metro to the Latin Quarter for some food. It cost €120 for a 3 course meal for 4 people and 8 drinks. The food was ok. The goat’s cheese salad starter was a letdown. The lettuce had no taste to it at all and we got two measly pieces of goat’s cheese on hard bread. The pizza for main course was nice though, and the carbonara was fantastic. Desert was mixed, the crème caramel was like scrambled egg but the chocolat liegeois was lovely. You can’t really go wrong with chocolat liegeois!

After dinner we walked to Notre Dame. I bought 3 lovely scarves on the way and a little notebook with “Un petit mot de Laura” on each page. Notre Dame was very crowded and the queue to get in was very big so we decided to walk along the Seine. This is one of my favourite things to do. We went into a few pet shops along the Seine and we saw the cutest puppies and kittens but they were all caged up. It seems cruel for a big dog to be put into a space that would be the size of a box for a TV.

We were on our way to La Tour Eiffel. We had tickets for 20:30 to go to the very top. After 2 hours of walking we finally arrived! We got a few cokes and sat under the tower and people watched until 20:30. I was glad we had bought our tickets online in advance as the queue for tickets was extremely long. It was definitely a good idea! At 20:30 we went up the tower. There was no queue for us at all. The view was amazing and it wasn’t cold at all as you would expect. The night was so clear and we could see for miles and miles. When we got back down we walked to Trocadero. Along the way in Jardin du Trocadero there was a giant screen showing the World Cup. There were hundreds of people eating and drinking (and smoking!) while watching the match. The atmosphere was cool but it was getting late and we had had a long day so we decided to head back to our hotel. On the way to the metro Mam bought a handbag and my brother bargained the seller down from €35 to €20. We got the metro Charles de Gaulle Étoile and got a snack in McDonalds on our way to the hotel.

Disneyland: 1998, 2005

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

• Empress of Randomness

Re: Paris and DLP June 13th-17th

Here are some photos from Day 1.

It was very hard to get a photo of La Tour Eiffel as the giant screen showing the world cup was in the way!

Jardin du Trocadero

The crowds watching the World Cup!

Myself and my brother Barry at the top of La Tour Eiffel

Day 2 to follow!
    Last edited by Laura678; 06-27-2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: sp

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

• The Study of Wumbo

Nice pictures!
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Fantastic Trip Report so far. I'm considering a day out in Paris on my upcoming trip. So you recomend purchasing Eiffel Tower Tickets online before going?

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the Disney part of the trip.

• Empress of Randomness

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Fantastic Trip Report so far. I'm considering a day out in Paris on my upcoming trip. So you recomend purchasing Eiffel Tower Tickets online before going?

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the Disney part of the trip.
    Thanks. Yep I definitely recomend it! The queue to purchase tickets was extremely long... It looked like the guts of a half hour at least of queueing... If you are going to Paris buying them online and printing at home is definitely the way to go!
    Last edited by Laura678; 06-28-2010 at 06:32 AM. Reason: sp

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

La Tour Eiffel
    So Cool....!
    Nice Pictures!
    also You and your Boy Friend
    NICE
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

• Sha-lalalalala my oh my

I love it so far Laura! Keep it coming!

• Empress of Randomness

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleman View Post
    La Tour Eiffel
    So Cool....!
    Nice Pictures!
    also You and your Boy Friend
    NICE
    Jim thats my brother! Do you not see the family resemblance?

• world class bilge rat

Spectacular views, Laura! Great TR, looking forward to more.

Looks like you all had a great time, I'm glad for you.

Rob

• sleepy lagoon

Yay... I've been waiting for your trip report!!
    The view from the Eiffel Tower is beautiful...

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Great start, looking forward to the rest.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Empress of Randomness

Day 2 - Monday 14th June

We got up at about 9:30 today and had breakfast in a café on Rue MacMahon. Chocolate tart for breakfast? Can’t go wrong! By 11:30am we were on the RER A and were bound for Marne-la-Vallée. We arrived at 12:30 and walked to Hotel Santa Fé. Myself and Jason left our luggage with Mam and Barry as we had to meet Darren at the gate to Disneyland Park at 1pm. He was sponsoring us for our Annual Passports. We paid for them at the gate and then went to the Bureau Passport Annual to get out permanent AP’s. We said goodbye to Darren and his family and met up with Barry and Mam.

We went straight to Pirates of the Caribbean and the queue was no longer than 10 minutes. We then went to Bug Thunder Mountain and the queue was 35 minutes so we joined it. We were 15 minutes in the queue when it began to rain. Suddenly the music stopped and we saw a CM outside of the queue saying that the ride had been stopped due to rain! It was only a light shower! This is proof that a Disney Park wouldn’t last in Ireland ha ha! Since we were well into the queue and a number of people had decided to leave the queue we decided to stick it out and before long the ride was up and running again! We were at the top of the queue at no time. After BTM we went to PM which was a walk on. Afterwards we got FP’s for BTM and went to Discoveryland. We joined the queue for Star Tours. A CM decided to make the path for the queue longer and he opened up a roped off zig-zag queue area to the left of the current queue. We followed the people in front of us and without realising it we were skipping the regular queue. A CM came up to us and told us and everyone behind us and the family in front that we had to go back to the beginning of the queue that we were skipping the queue. We replied saying that we weren’t the only ones who had taken this route and we hadn't skipped the queue intentinally. He said that everyone had to go back but he couldn’t distinguish who was who in the main queue as both lines had merged. So we went backwards and rejoined the queue. We were kind of frustrated as the CM who opened up the queue area to the left was responsible for us having to spend an extra 10 minutes queuing. To make matters worse, we were all queuing in the fast pass line so we moved very slowly... And the queue was 30 minutes or more as opposed to the 10 minutes as advertised!

After Star Tours we had planned on returning to BTM to use our FP’s, but when we came outside it was raining and considering BTM was closed earlier due to rain, we decided not to risk wasting our last half an hour in the park in a queue for a ride we wouldn’t get to go on. So we went to Captain EO instead. I hadn’t seen EO since I was about 6 so I was excited to see it again. When we went in the doors to the auditorium were just closing so everybody sat on the floor to watch the preshow. It was a behind the scenes look at the making of EO which originally was shown in Disneyland. I enjoyed the show as it seemed new to me because I couldn't remember it from being 6! I thought the floor shaking was cool as I felt it added to the 3D experience.

After EO it was time to leave the parks and make a plan for dinner. We went to Disney Village and I went into the steakhouse (after reading how Dave had enjoyed his meal there )and joined a big queue and managed to make a reservation for 21:15. We all went back to the Santa Fe as myself and Jason had to check in and Mam and Barry had to get their room key. Our rooms were in building 44, halfway between the main building and the path to the parks. We had 2 rooms which were opposite each other.

We got ready for dinner and got the bus to Disney Village. We waited at the bar in the Steakhouse for a few minutes and we were then showed to our table. The menu looked inviting and we were starving! Jason and I got our complimentary Kirs and we got some lovely bread and butter, and then some bread and olive paste. We all ordered from the Chicago Menu which was €33. To start myself, Mam and Barry had the caeser salad and Jason had the Ocean City Cassolette. For our main course we all ordered the Downtown Rumpsteak, 3 “à point” and 1 “saignant”. The steak was delicious and just what we needed after a long day on our feet! For desert I had Bailey's Creme Brulee, Jason had Old Fashioned Apple Pie a la Mode and Barry had The "Cherry Garcia". Mam opted out of desert. All in all we had a fantastic meal including wine etc for about €120 including our AP discount!

After dinner we went to Hotel New York for cocktails. After falling in love with the Glowtini cocktail in January I was keen to return to the bar in Hotel NY to get another! Jason and Barry had Mojitos and Mam decided to have a Pina Colada. After our cocktail we walked back to our hotel and hit the hay. It was a great start to our stay at DLP!

Edit: I was having too much fun that I forgot to take photos so this is my only photo from Monday. Mind you I think the smoke adds a nice effect

Last edited by Laura678; 06-27-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: sp

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Fantastic start. And I am so glad you liked the Steakhouse too. I really think it is quite a gem.

I cannot wait to see Capt Eo again, having a making of preshow sounds great.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Empress of Randomness

Thanks Dave.
    In all my times I have visited DLP I had never eaten at the Steakhouse and I was delighted I had read how much you enjoyed your meal there so that was my incentive to go there first!

The meal was fantastic, service was good and the price was great! Given we had spent €120 on a meal in Paris and the quality was nowhere near as good, we were happy with the steakhouse!

The only thing I didn't like was lack of music. This caused there to be a "canteen" type background noise. But that was the only fault I could find!

• world class bilge rat

Sounds like you all had just as much fun on day 2!

Great TR! The smoke certainly was a nice effect.

Thanks for the time and effort in posting all this for us to see.

Maybe someday I'll make my way to Paris too.

Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast