Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: General DLP Chit Chat!

I dont like the rainforest entrance because it scares me with huge snake and with inside It stinks a bit of fish :P
    but i would suggest going to Blue lagoon or cinderella.. the expensive places lol
    Here come's the bride.
    As long as we live.
    Till death do us part.
    You may kiss the bride.

• Minion

Thats the old phrase of "you get what you pay for"

I really enjoyed the food at Toad Hall (as well as all of the Toad things hanging on the walls...so much fun!). I got the chicken burger and thought it was very tasty.

The other times I ate at the Brown Derby at Disney Studios and had pizza that was alright and a burger that was good. However, I do not go to Disneyland to eat. The attractions made up for the alright food.
    WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
    DLR: 1999, 2009
    DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
    http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

• Dancing through life

I really like Toad Hall as they have good old British fish and chips. I prefer counter service places but I like them all I guess. A favourite a couple of years back was Cafe Hyperion while The Legend of the Lion King was on, a burger with whatever toppings I wanted from the salad-bar-thingy while watching the great show. Bit annoying that loads of people just sat in the restaurant to watch the show without food and many managed to stand right in my way but nice when it worked out.

I tried Walt's once and it was nice but a bit posh for me. I also tried L'auberge de cendrillion which was just lovely.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Well, someone already answered where the California Grill is. But Auberge is to the right of the Carousel in Fantasyland when you have your back to the castle. You can see the statue/fountain of Cinders and then the Coach, that is Auberge.

There are some outstanding restaurants in DLP (though not as many as they used to have). And to me, dining is a big part of the experience. Disney has some fantastic places in their parks around the globe, and the table service restaurants I mentioned are on par with some of DL and WDW's finest. In fact I think in Auberge, Silver Spur, the Steakhouse and California Grill they are even better.

Sadly the chicken finger and buffet fans have wrecked this resort, as has the dining plan. Once that started to gain popularity, we saw excellent restaurants like Hunters Grill and Parkside Diner ruined.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

Oh, and we try to avoid most of the counter service restaurants. The Pizza places are ok, and CCBBQ is awesome due to the smell, live music and ribs. FDO is great because of the mexican food. But as a rule, things have gone down hill in the CS department (Though last Chance Cafe has improved too). But the Table service are fab experiences.

The rule of thumb is, never eat in Discoveryland. No good can come of it.

BTW - the salad trimming bar is gone again at Cafe Hyperion :-(

Also a tip, the food stands stop selling food at 2pm. We tried to get a hotdog at 2:05 in July, and were told no, it is after 2pm and that is Disney's policy (that was on a day the park was open until 10pm)

• Dancing through life

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    BTW - the salad trimming bar is gone again at Cafe Hyperion :-(
    Oh noes! Not that I'll get there any time soon but that gives me now no reason to eat there.

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

The tomato soup in Toad Hall is the powdered stuff.

My own preference is to avoid the buffet and counter service Restarants since I consider the food served poor quality.

If your after decent food at the Resort you must be willing to pay for it. Unfortunately I may need to skip some of the Table Service Restaurants I was considering enjoying inside the park on the next trip. All thanks to the new limited park hours.

But if I had to choose I would recomend Walt's, Silver Spur and Blue Lagoon. Never had a bad meal at either Planet Hollywood or Rainforest Cafe.

I was considering California Grill this time around. Heard some good things.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I was considering California Grill this time around. Heard some good things.
    For good reason James, it is not quite Napa Rose nor Victoria and Albert's, but it is as good if not better than the CG in WDW. Go for it. IT is a lovely French/American fusion restaurant, with sublime service and a great wine list.

• Minion

I was wondering, where in Parc Disneyland do you think they'll be improving/building next?

I'm of the mindset that Autopia eats too much space (however popular it is) and should be replaced with the more thematically appropriate JTTCOTE, since its an E-Ticket, would draw fresh attention to Discoveryland (much like ST2 will) and its a Jules Verne novel.

Obviously a TLM in Fantasyland would be cool, along with a Splash Mountain in Frontierland and the Indiana Jones Adventure next to Indy in Adventureland... so i'm not asking for much.

And this falls enough under general, to not warrant making a fresh topic.

• Hitchhiker

Quote Originally Posted by Joelio View Post
    I was wondering, where in Parc Disneyland do you think they'll be improving/building next?
    The problem is and will be that what ever new or "improved" Paris Imagineering builds, it does not respect the current theaming much. So far they've damaged a multi billion asset with a lame (sometimes cheap) carnival or cartoon addition that do not carry the theme nor story at all.

I belive that the local team does not even know how deep stories were written for DLP. They've been messing up with the Main Street USA for years (for example, Main Street Motors sells clothes.. back in the old imagineering days it was selling vintage model cars), they killed Discoveryland with Mission 2 and Buzz and you can read a comment of an original imagineer about the Frontierland's latest "fix" of teepees. Here's a quote from Disney and more: "According to Imagineers who built the original teepees to whom i show these pictures: "Originally we had the interior liners - which are now missing from the redone teepee - which would close that bottom gap as it was the case in original teepees to keep varmits out and the heat of the fire in. They should reinstall them on the new teepees so you can't be looking under the teepees. - - There are a few symbols on the new tents which I don't recognize as from an Indian tribe... - - I just wish they had taken a look at the color documentation books that our Frontierland team put so much time and effort into as their guide for inspiration..." " Just a few examples, but I could make a long list..

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/20...ntierland.html

The Company hasn't even paid yet the two billion debt they're burden with, but already are hacking down what's been built with those money.

I'd say that Autopia should stay, but they could update it with a new technology. New billboards and scenery and cars that uses a new kind of energy (electricity?).

The best way to improve the Discoveryland for a start would be to displace Buzz and the Pizza Planet to Pixarland next door. Let WDS be a thematic Garbageland. Then one can start to recover with the Verne & Co. visionarists theme in Discoveryland.

Oh, how much I'd like to see Vernes "around the World in 80 days" using Soarin' or other form of new technology.
    Last edited by Zarniwoop; 08-09-2010 at 10:29 AM.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Minion

I didn't realise they were doing stuff like that, thats awful! Yeah, they should just work on upkeep more then new ideas, since they can't plus anything really as of yet... its a shame really

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Rumours have discussed in the past that Pirates of the Carribean would at some point recieve the movie overlay with the Jack Sparrow AA's.

It can only be a matter of time before the park upgrades its Star Tours attraction to reflect the changes being made out in Anaheim and Orlando.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• Senior Minion

Rumours have discussed in the past that Pirates of the Carribean would at some point recieve the movie overlay with the Jack Sparrow AA's.
    This was rumoured to have coincided with the release of the last movie. Perhaps those rumours will start again in time for next summer?

It can only be a matter of time before the park upgrades its Star Tours attraction to reflect the changes being made out in Anaheim and Orlando.
    The sooner the better... but I am not holding my breath.

BTW - any word on what will happen when Captain Eo's limited engagement come to an end? The return of HISTA? The un-Discoveryland-like Philharmagic? Or a fifteenth-anniversary-like money-saving continuation of Eo despite popular demand?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

I once dreamed of a Verne/Wells etc Discoveryland, but I've realised it's not happening. In truth, I wouldn't entirely blame them if they felt they didn't need to fix DLP at all with WDS next door, but we've grown to accept that park and its quality doesn't divert people's attention from problems next door. I reckon Jack will come with Pirates 4 - I get the feeling it's one of those things they always intended to do they were just waiting for the right moment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast