Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blog Entries

Toy Story Playland : The road leading to the Ratatouille dark ride

In my Toy Story Playland pictorial report posted last week, Part One HERE and Part Two HERE, there was something very important I left out. Something which will require us to play the part of a Disney detective. Off to one end of Toy Story Playland (TSP) is an important addition which is designed to look like a Parisian street with cobblestones in the ground and typical Parisian benches and lampposts. But why a Parisian street in Toy Story Land of all places? Let's figure this out:

There is a good reason why DLP Imagineers themed the path this way: it leads to the other entrance of Toy Story Playland - where guests can enter the land going through the blue monkey barrel - but in two years from now it will also be the street leading to a new Ratatouille dark ride and the "Paris" area you see above.

I know you'd like to see clues and proof. First, let's have a look first to this Parisian street with its cobblestones in the ground and typical Parisian benches and lampposts. The first picture below is a panoramic, click on it to see it in larger scale.

Previously, I told you about a sculpture of Gusteau - Ratatouille's chef - which was to be sculpted on the stone arch stuck to one side of the blue barrel tunnel. And, as you can see on the picture below, it came true and there really is a sculpture of Gusteau right there in Toy Story Playland.

The picture above was shot by Alexandre Rosa, a former Disney and More contributor, during the cast member preview days. Two days later, when the land opened for annual passholders soft-openings last saturday, Gusteau's sculpture was hidden, as you will see on the pictures below.

There is a good reason for that - there is always a good reason for anything done by Imagineers! - and it's probably that DLP execs would prefer to keep this new ride a secret. Especially since the new ride is not expected until Disneyland Paris' 2013 fiscal year (which begins October 1st, 2012) and the year of the resort's 20th Anniversary. No more Gusteau's sculpture means no questions from the guests, etc...

Unfortunately, all signs related to Ratatouille couldn't be hidden beginning with the face of Remy, Ratatouille's main character. And where is Remy's face, you ask? Well, actually he is on EACH bench of this Parisian street. Have a look at the picture below...

Don't see Remy? Okay, let's have a closer look. Do you see him now?

May be you'd like to see where this awaited dark ride will be built? The next panoramic, shot from the Parachute Drop attraction, will show you this. The building you see on the right is actually located backstage and is the "costuming" where cast-members come each morning to pick their costume - a Paris backdrop is supposed to hide the building when the Ratatouille ride will open. And on the left of this building, behind the blue barrel, is the land reserved for the Ratatouille ride and Paris area.

Edited: Christian, from www.eap-magazin.de just sent me this picture showing the land where the Ratatouille ride will be build. Note that there is on the left more land that you don't see on the picture. As you can see it's a pretty big area and I wonder if they will keep the big trees located at the center of the land... my feeling is that they will keep them and it will be a good idea.

I don't want to be provocative, but with the Parachute Drop ride DLP Imagineers provided to us the perfect observation point to have a look at the upcoming works and shoot pictures of the future Ratatouille area... Work, by the way, should begin this fall or early next year as it will be a major ride - with a budget estimated around $130-150M. As I have mentioned before, the ride will feature trackless vehicles and 3D projection effects along the ride. Those of you who complain that Toy Story Playland only has re-themed carnival rides will only have to wait two more years to be happy and get the E-Ticket ride you've been asking for.
    If you enjoyed this special report, thanks for your support! Paypal donations can be sent to: [email protected]

If you're looking for a great gift to offer to anyone you love - including yourself - Alain's "Disneyland Paris, From Sketch to Reality" book with its 320 pages and 750 pictures - including 250 renderings from Walt Disney Imagineering - would be a GREAT gift for any Disney fan! Alain Littaye is the author of the acclaimed Disneyland Paris "from Sketch to Reality" book. He still have some copies of this hard to find book. and, as he is one of the two authors of the book, each copy will be sign specially for you or anyone you wish. Of course, don't forget to tell the name to whom you wish he dedicates the book.

Price for one copy of the english updated edition (with the text in english) is 87 Euros + 15 euros shipping to any country. Payment can be done with Paypal.

You can see some inside pages of the book at the link below and to order the book please email me at: [email protected]

Paypal payment can be sent to: [email protected]

Pictures: copyright Alain Littaye - Disney and more

Arch with Gusteau's sculpture picture: copyright Alexandre Rosa
    Last edited by Dustysage; 08-24-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: small edits

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Toy Story Playland : The road leading to the Ratatouille dark ride

Fantastic article Alain.

Finally, the Winnie the Pooh dark ride system (the good one from Tokyo) is getting used elsewhere.

Thank you!

Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

LOVE what I am seeing... this is the first time I see Tokyo DisneySEA/DLP quality theming inside WDSP. I only cringe when I see that hideous parachute tower peeking over the tree tops. But now, with some photographic proof of what may be a hint of things to come.. I am really positive about the future of this park.
    Thanks for sharing Alain.

I have a feeling its going to be beautiful. I really expect some great Imagineering. Too bad TSP kinda ruins the area.

• Cool Yule

TSPL may ruin it, but I think Remyland will be the antidote to Playland.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Love it!!! There may just be a trip to Paris in my future!
    Jewish American Disney Princess

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JADP View Post
    Love it!!! There may just be a trip to Paris in my future!
    I feel the same way. There is no way I'd make a special trip to Paris for Toy Story Playland, but I very well might for a high quality Ratatouille ride!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Munchings & Crunchings

I love the idea of a Ratatouille attraction! Also, the fact that they're finally using the trackless system outside of Tokyo. The one thing I wonder is how will fans look at the fake Parisian details? Although I could probably answer my own question by comparing it to Main Street USA, where we have actual buildings that look like those too. So, as long as Disney doesn't get cheap with the theming, which it looks like they haven't by these pictures, then it should be a great addition. One side of this park will be very Pixar heavy, which isn't a bad thing for this new park, in my opinion.

• Jungle explorer

so the rumors are true! fantastic detective work and great pictures. I'm still thinking it's odd that they are having an area themed to Paris, France while the park itself is in France... ah well, it's better than having the ever-so-exotic California Adventure here in California.

but from these fantastic pictures and panoramics, the "land" is looking spectacular! great post.

Say goodbye to the people onshore because you will never see them again...

then again you've probably never seen them before

Check out my first trip report! It's full to the brim with epicness.
    AND HERE IS MY NEWEST TRIP REPORT!!! It's better because it's new. and in space.

Hey Look! I'm onYouTube

• Minion

It really is looking good

• The Study of Wumbo

Wow! Crazy! Great finds!

It's hard for me to believe that they would open up this area already.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• i heart plunging v-necks

The trackless system is also being used at HKDL's Mystic Manor which will probably be opening before Ratatouille, if I'm not mistaken.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

• Cool Yule

^I do believe you are right. So that would mean that the system is in every resort apart from the US ones. Hmm.. I wonder who will get it first?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Disneyland Man

WOW! That empty walkway is the best looking thing yet built at the 'Studios'. What delightful teases those Imagineers are being here. Delivering EuroDisneyland quality detailing...while leading to an innovative, Tokyo quality Ride!! YEAY. Whodathunk "Paris" in Paris would work well? (cause California in California is still questionable if you ask me) But apparently thats just what is needed to think 'quality' and 'charm'. Hopefully they'll be able to keep it up to this level. It's the first time I've been excited about anything at this park....and it's just an empty walkway.

Thanx for the excellent reporting.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

• One Little Spark...

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I feel the same way. There is no way I'd make a special trip to Paris for Toy Story Playland, but I very well might for a high quality Ratatouille ride!
    I agree 100%! I have never had any real strong urge to go to DLP (or France at all for that matter) But with Toy Story Playland AND a pretty sweet Ratatouille ride, I'd definitely go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast