Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Euro Disney Chief Executive stated a Marvel Superheroes Park is being considered

A whole park themed to superheroes could get boring real fast...the idea simply does not have the emotional resonance or timeless qualities of parks like the magic kingodoms or tds, or even Epcot or AK.

The concept art looks very nice...as concept art often does...but the overall vibe I get is somewhat akin to (pre-Harry) Islands of Adventure...which, despite some state of the art technology, was not a success by stateside Disney standards.

IMO they are better off adding a Marvel-land to WDS than building a dedicated park. If, however, they do proceed with a superheroes park...I think it might be wise to expand the theme beyond just Marvel...to include such characters as the Incredibles, or even historic / mythic figures like Hercules.
    Down with the Hat

Re: Euro Disney Chief Executive stated a Marvel Superheroes Park is being considered

I don't like the idea. Most people dont consider Marvel Disney even though its now owned by Disney. Pixar is ok because before Disney owned Pixar they been working with them for a long time. It would look out of place in DLP next to DLP and WDSP its totatly diffrent world. I wouldn't feel like I am in DLP anymore.

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    IMO they are better off adding a Marvel-land to WDS than building a dedicated park. If, however, they do proceed with a superheroes park...
    I have to agree, so long as its done right (and not on the cheap) a Marvel land with a decent attraction or three would be the rocket up the arse attendance wise that WDS so desperately needs.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Even if they did put hercules and the incredibles in the park... it just doesn't fit! A Disney theme park isn't just Disney Character environments squished together. Look at the Magic Kingdom style parks. They have real, idealized environments, which the characters fit into. Save for a few places like Carsland and A Bugs Land, they are all connected by a central theme, that even though the lands of the park are completely different, they blend seamlessly.

They should do a Pixar Park I think it would boost attendance alot!
    Here come's the bride.
    As long as we live.
    Till death do us part.
    You may kiss the bride.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoy View Post
    Isn`t that what half of WDS is going to be in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan
    Everyone keeps saying this, but this is not true. The one at TDS went slightly overbudget in the end and wound up costing more than $200 million (in 2006). The WDS version, which opened a year later, was estimated at $180 million. I see a $160 million tossed out for the TDS version on some sites, but this figure is not correct.
    You`re forgetting a very important fact. That 180 million estimate is NOT in dollars, it`s in euros. At today`s currency 180m£ is over 230m$. Now, that currency probably didn`t apply back when TOT was built, but it was probably still above 200m$. Thanks to french construction codes forcing the building to be entirely built in concrete, WDS TOT is one of the most expensive Disney projects in the last decade despite being identical to DCA`s TOT, the cheapest of the bunch.

It`s unknown wether TDS TOT or WDS TOT is the more expensive one.
    Last edited by Cookie; 09-18-2010 at 09:13 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    You`re forgetting a very important fact. That 180 million estimate is NOT in dollars, it`s in euros. At today`s currency 180m£ is over 230m$. Now, that currency probably didn`t apply back when TOT was built, but it was probably still above 200m$. Thanks to french construction codes forcing the building to be entirely built in concrete, WDS TOT is one of the most expensive Disney projects in the last decade despite being identical to DCA`s TOT, the cheapest of the bunch.

It`s unknown wether TDS TOT or WDS TOT is the more expensive one.
    Thanks for the correction. I did not know the $180 million figure was estimated in euros. Construction codes also played a big part in Tokyo's final cost as the building has to be completely reinforced to match earthquake building codes. If anyone is curious though, the exact figure for Tokyo's was just over 21 billion yen.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Nutty about Disney parks

The concept art does look impressive. Still, this does warrant some concerns:

Rarely does the final product of a theme park (at least in Disney's case) match the concept art.

What happens if the budget to get the park done right exceeds what Disney will have available? What if at the last minute, the lands and attractions wound up being built on-the-cheap and may require some lands to be removed all together?

Must this park bear more resemblance to Universal than a Disney park (I mean, there's a Nick-themed land...in a Disney park!)?

And perhaps the BIGGEST question of all...

Does Europe warrant a strong enough market for Marvel superhero characters for this park to remain financially stable?

These are the questions Disney needs to think long and hard about before they go through with this idea. Some may say that building a theme park like Disney in Europe has become somewhat of a curse! As bad as WDS has become I cant imagine Disney abandoning that park to risk opening a third park who's financial stability is questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoy View Post
    As much as I hate the Pixarification of the parks, I'd take this over a Marvel park any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    The concept art does look impressive. Still, this does warrant some concerns:

Rarely does the final product of a theme park (at least in Disney's case) match the concept art.

What happens if the budget to get the park done right exceeds what Disney will have available? What if at the last minute, the lands and attractions wound up being built on-the-cheap and may require some lands to be removed all together?

Must this park bear more resemblance to Universal than a Disney park (I mean, there's a Nick-themed land...in a Disney park!)?

And perhaps the BIGGEST question of all...

Does Europe warrant a strong enough market for Marvel superhero characters for this park to remain financially stable?

These are the questions Disney needs to think long and hard about before they go through with this idea. Some may say that building a theme park like Disney in Europe has become somewhat of a curse! As bad as WDS has become I cant imagine Disney abandoning that park to risk opening a third park who's financial stability is questionable.

As much as I hate the Pixarification of the parks, I'd take this over a Marvel park any day of the week.
    That art is not for this Parks this is for Universal Studios

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    You do know that concept art was for a proposed Marvel theme park in Dubai before that city went down the toilet and Disney bought the company? If Disney builds a Marvel park (which still is just one idea out of many) it won`t include Nickelodeon and probably will look much different.

• Hitchhiker

Hmm, Marvel comics are hardly known here up in the north. There are not much cartoons on television and no comics at all. There used to be, but they didn't succeed.

What about the rest of the Europe? I know that Ducks (Don Rosa visits Finland next week and will be treated like a national hero) are popular all over the Europe, but what about Marvel comics?

Offtopic: This might be a reason why the rubberheads are so popular among Europeans, because they come to see their favourite Disney characters they read about from the comics. One of the reasons I do not alway feel at home in DLP is that the charaters have a different personality in the park than in the comics.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

Just think pixar park=disney Marvel=Non-disney!
    And TSPL can be ripped out and dropped into that park XD
    Here come's the bride.
    As long as we live.
    Till death do us part.
    You may kiss the bride.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    Hmm, Marvel comics are hardly known here up in the north. There are not much cartoons on television and no comics at all. There used to be, but they didn't succeed.

What about the rest of the Europe? I know that Ducks (Don Rosa visits Finland next week and will be treated like a national hero) are popular all over the Europe, but what about Marvel comics?

Offtopic: This might be a reason why the rubberheads are so popular among Europeans, because they come to see their favourite Disney characters they read about from the comics. One of the reasons I do not alway feel at home in DLP is that the charaters have a different personality in the park than in the comics.
    In Austria and Germany you can get superhero comics, but they aren't that successful like Disney comics. Disney Comics, especially the Ducks, are still the most successful comics here. Don Rosa and Carl Barks are still the best artists for Disney comics and their comics are highly successful.

I don't know about the rest of Europe, but I think a superheroes park will be a huge mistake.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    Why not rip WDS out of existence and throw it in the Twilight Zone for eternity and hope to god everyone forgets what lies opposite the most visually stunning Magic Kingdom?
    That could work, since less than 3 million people went to the park last year.

Quote Originally Posted by mastromjm View Post
    This. Quite simply, WDS Paris is the most boring park in the whole Disney world, in my opinion. Stop complaining about Disney('s) California Adventure when there is this on the other side of the world that really needs freshening up. I understand that there have been enhancements, improvements, and additions over the years, but the park is still a mess.
    Cheapest, smallest, and like I said, least attended. Only 9 attractions were made at the park. They tried to make it look authentic, but it failed. If WDSP had did something in the vein of USF and made themed zones based on Disney's more live action movies and made it like you were on location in those movies...man, what a better park it could have been!

Back on track, I think that while the concept art for the Marvel Park looks great, Disney would never make something that extreme. Mission: Space is as extreme as Disney will ever go, and even that had to be tamed down after people were fainting and getting hurt over it.

However, if they were going to make a Marvel park, themed zones could easily be made, i.e a Mount Olympus for Thor, City for Spider-Man, X-Men and Hulk. But even the longevity of that could be a problem, and like someone mentioned, would force Disney to expand and include thier own characters based on Heroes. So I'm going to have to say that a complete Marvel Park in the end would not work in the long term.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

This could be a very, very bad idea.

Europeans are very proud of their art, their culture, their history...which is partially why they hated on EuroDisney in the first place. They also hated the fact that the name of the park was basically saying MoneyDisney.

If Disney were to shove in Marvel characters that live in a very contemporary world (for the most part), they would really be testing the market over there. The French don't hate everything American, but there are some very nationalistic people there (as there are in all countries) and this could venture into dangerous territory. I think a Marvel park would work much better in the US...if overseas, maybe Japan.

Disney should focus on improving what's already there. Pixar won't save the parks, and neither will Marvel. Good themeing and storytelling will.

If naturally-born Disney properties must mesh with Marvel ones, then I say go for a Heroes land or Heroes park. I think it could be done...just themeing would have to be done very carefully. We'd have the city of New York in one area and then Mt. Olympus in another. Oooh...maybe a Heroes and Villains park! Or maybe both individually, but built across from each other. Now that would be cool.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast