Euro Disney chief Philippe Gas defends debt, Disneyland Paris working conditions

Re: Euro Disney chief Philippe Gas defends debt, Disneyland Paris working conditions

Very interesting, especially his statement that DLP has 'enough money to pay off the debt, undergo maintanance and build a 3rd park'
    Disneyland Paris: August 1999 Sante Fe - October 2000 Sante Fe - March 2002 Sante Fe - November 2010 Cheyenne
    Walt Disney World: May 2011 All Star Movies - November 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Tokyo Disney Resort: 2012 (hopefully!)

• Nutty about Disney parks

Re: Euro Disney chief Philippe Gas defends debt, Disneyland Paris working conditions

Quote Originally Posted by ben1993 View Post
    Very interesting, especially his statement that DLP has 'enough money to pay off the debt, undergo maintanance and build a 3rd park'
    I have a hard time believing his statement...for all the obvious reasons of course.

Yes and it's kinda weird...If they have enough money, what are they waiting for to build new attractions to make the Walt Disney Studios a "one day experience"?
    Because they know that they have to build new attractions to improve the attendance and 22 millions guest are necessary to have a third park...

• Minion

Yeah, fairly unbelieveable, why don't they just do it, and sort Disney out.

• Not here to help

Philippe Gas, the chief executive of Euro Disney is just full of it. Mr Gas... look at your Disneyland, it´s aweful!
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

i have checked the article,nice!
    I am traveling now.

• Bangarang!

I have the feeling the statement in regards to having the money right now is one of those convoluted statements. They probably do have the money but can't actually spend it... sort of the way any home owner has equity in their home.

But I agree, if they were flush with cash then for the love of Walt, Spend! Spend! Spend!

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

I don't think Mr Gas is suggesting he has a pile of cash hidden back stage in POTC I think he means they have a development plan for the next few years and have the funding comming in that timescale. What is fustrating for us fans is we have no idea what it is. Unlike the other parks where a lot more is announced about the plans for the future.

Sadly we will have to wait and see if it was hot air or the truth but my view is that slowly things are getting better and as a shareholder I'm prepared to wait to see the growth he talked about.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

“Honestly, we have enough cash today to pay our debt, to finance our expansion and to pay for rehabilitation [of current attractions in the park],” highlighted Mr Gas,
    If Mr Gas has the money for park expansion and rehabilitation of all the current attractions, show us. All I have seen so far is attractions falling further into disrepair while the park throw's away money on cheap and tacky Carnival rides. I agree with Timmy here, Philippe Gas is just full of it.

Mr Gas believes that press coverage of the two reported suicides has been “misleading”, saying that there is just one union out of seven that has blamed Disney’s treatment of its staff for the incidents.
    I agree with him on this subject. Its clear to me that the Union's are willing to use a death of an employee to further fight there battle with Euro Disney over working conditions. Trust me during the week that I was at the Resort I did not feel that Cast Members were being over worked or under a great amount of presure. If any thing Phillippe and his cronies should be cracking the whip encouraging some of these people to work harder. From what I see Disneyland Paris Cast Members with a few exceptions do not care or have much passion for there jobs.

High on Mr Gas’s agenda are the development of the Disney Studios, where he plans more attractions and restaurants with the intention of turning it into a “one-day experience”. New Disney characters he is keen to feature at the park include Disney’s Cars and Ratatouille.
    Unless he's considering a Cars Land E Ticket like DCA's Radiator Springs. He should just skip that idea. I don't think the park needs more carnival rides themed to Cars. Also in regards to Ratatouille why not just start building the attraction already.

And his calm, controlled manner and clear passion for the parks, perhaps, make him an ideal candidate.
    A guy who has clear passion for the parks. Is this is the case why is there gaffiti all over the place. Crap in the ponds, and why are attractions and buildings continuing to fall apart. The Parks are a mess and is all down to this man. Amanda Andrews who wrote the article for the Telegraph may have been taken in by his crap. But I don't buy it.

ok,i am checking
    I am traveling now.

So the thing I'm not sure from reading the article is - should we be looking for a lengthy announcement in the near future with regards to (re)development of WDS, or is the article all 'talk' designed not to 'concern' the financially markets.

I mean it's got statements such as "Mr Gas said a decision to build the third theme park may not be made until 2020, though it may be brought forward if planned work on the existing Disney Studios Park is completed.", and a similar statement about making WDS a 1-day experience.

But in order for that to occur someone's got to finance it, and more importantly someone has to have a plan, a vision. OK Gas suggests that the company has the finance to do this, but does he mean as a 'big bang' - which would require a large amount of finance, or as previous, a drip feed of attractions - which still needs a large amount of finance, but potentially spread over nearly 9 years.

Gas says that decisions regarding a 3rd gate won't be made until at least 2020 BUT could be brought forward if expansion/redevelopment of WDS is completed. Again - all talk, or an insight into a major plan?.

The worry however is whether any plan includes meaningful Disney attractions, or whether this is an just an excuse for more Toy Story Playland style attractions - cheap and sure would help turn it into a 1 day experience, but lacking quality.

So what do we thing - is this the dawn of a new period, or just more of the same, complete with management saying the right things for the sake of the media/fiscal markets.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Why doesnt he just tell us the plans for expanding WDS already instead of going on and on about the 3rd park?

The 3rd park wont even be a realistic possibility until WDS can be financially stable. He's looking too far ahead into the future...either that or he must really think that WDS is a lost cause and he's hoping that the 3rd park can be built to remedy the problem.

Loony tunes!!!!

• Banned User

Excellent site, keep up the good work. I read a lot of forums on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I’m glad I found your forum. Thanks
    Write Off Debt