Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Blog Entries

Disneyland Paris : All about the 2011 " Disney Magical Moments " Festival

Disneyland Paris : All about the 2011 " Disney Magical Moments " Festival

Quite a while since my last Disneyland Paris update but here is one with everything you need to know about the 2011 "Disney Magical Moments Festival". Note that the important word here is "moments" and as we all know "moments" means a few minutes, not hours. So don't expect a ten minutes ride for 2011 as there will be no one. No new fireworks or parade either, but a new show on Central Plaza and some little happenings - the famous "moments" - in both parks.

We will have a closer look to the official DLP press release but first, here is the first TV Ad, the one released in the U.K. They've been pretty smart on this one as no shots of the park are include in it, instead you'll see a family and the reactions - a bit hysterical - of the children after the announcement that "they're going to Disneyland Paris". Even with no shots of the park this TV Ad works pretty well and use the emotional effect - which is probably not so far of what is happening in real life when children learn about their future Disneyland Paris vacation.

Okay, let's come back to the menu of this 2011 Disney Magical Moments Festival which will begin on April 6th. Here is the press release in which i've included my own comments:

2011 Jumps into Disney Magical Moments Festival

This year, Disneyland Paris offers its guests more than a new festival, but the promise to live and relive a series of everlasting “Disney Magical Moments.”

Disney Magical Moments Festival: more emotion than ever before:
    During Disney Magical Moments Festival that launches 6th April 2011 at Disneyland Paris, magic will reach great new heights. In 2011, guests enter the spotlight, starring in adventures inspired by Walt Disney Pictures films. From Fantasia to Alice in Wonderland, by way of Peter Pan, The Jungle Book and The Lion King guests take center stage and star in the stories. Girls get wrapped up in the classic Princess stories from Snow White to Tangled, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella or The Princess and the Frog. Children and parents alike take part in the adventures of the new Disney-Pixar generation from Ratatouille, Cars, Wall-E, Monsters, Inc. to the very popular and recent Toy Story films. And each guest will create his own adventures based on his own personal Disney experiences. All-new moments to be lived in enhanced reality for memories that will last a lifetime.

Come get swept away by the whirlwind of “Disney Magical Moments!”
    In 2011, get ready to experience endless magical moments, full of action, adventure and emotion! Moments like no others, which will take you on a dream getaway alongside family and friends. There’s something for everyone: all styles and all ages... Moments you create and experience, and which will be engraved forever as some of your most emotional memories.

A sparkling array of magical moments just waiting to be lived, captured and later retold by you! Precious instants in life that only Disneyland Paris knows how to create and which always begin with a simple yet emotional plea: ‘let’s go to Disneyland this year!”

Spotlight on 14 Disney Magical Moments

1 - Mickey’s Magical Celebration
    Who can resist the magic behind Fantasia, when Mickey becomes an incredible magician?
    Each day, to celebrate Disney Magical Moments Festival, the Disneyland Park stages a spellbinding show in front of the Sleeping Beauty Castle. This fantastic new encounter stars Mickey surrounded by Disney Magicians, from Genie to Merlin, by way of Cinderella’s Fairy Godmother. Mickey becomes the illustrious Magician known the world over. An enchanting moment to share with all the dazzling Disney couples, as well. Anything is possible with a sprinkle of pixie dust and a little imagination.

D&M comment: This, apparently, will be a new show with lot of characters on the Central Plaza stage, with a 20 minutes length. From what i've been told it's supposed to be pretty good.

2 - Disney Princesses: A Royal Invitation

Just as every little girl dreams of becoming a fairytale heroine, few men can resist the charm of meeting a true Princess.
    Where else than in Disneyland can you meet your favourite Disney Princess? Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Tiana… they’re all waiting to meet you. A royal invitation to live and capture the most enchanting of Disney moments.

D&M comment: The new Princess meet and greet area is currently being build in what was formerly the It's a Small World post show. A cool post show but unfortunately DLP guests rarely took the time to explore all the magical projection effects. Personnaly, i will regret it. The opening of the new Princess meet and greet have apparently some delay but should open this summer and the theming of the area is supposed to be of very good quality and perfectly adapted to a Princess theme.

3 - Following the Leader with Peter Pan
    Who hasn’t ever dreamed of skipping out on time to run away to Neverland and stay a child forever?
    It’s going to be a real crocodile-snappin’ adventure for Lost Boys and Girls and absolutely anyone who’s never wanted to grow up. Help Peter Pan, Wendy and his band of Pirates give Captain Hook a real fright. A unique song and dance adventure with only one motto: “I won’t grow up!”

D&M comment: Now, this new little show which will happen on Adventure Isle and Captain Hook gallion might be fun if it's well done. May be one of the most interesting new thing to happen in the park this year. Basically it will be a small show with Peter Pan, Captain Hook and some pirates probably doing some swashbuckling on the gallion but some children from the audience might be invited to interact in the show.
    By the way, the picture below and the one at the top are new official DLP pictures shot recently but only the one below is available now on DLP's press site. I wondered why until i had a closer look to the other picture, the one at the top of this article. My guess is that they thought that Peter's erected arm looks a bit too much like a Nazi salute. Of course it's totally absurd but it's true that some non-objective people who don't like Disneyland might use the picture in a bad way.

4 - The Wonderful World of Alice and The Mad Hatter

Who can resist celebrating each day for what it is—an incredible “un-birthday?”
    The Mad Hatter has already set the zaniest of tables to celebrate thousands of un-birthdays in Wonderland. A great chance to savour a succulent cup of imaginary tea not far from the Dormouse and his teapot before returning to pursue the White Rabbit in Alice’s Curious Labyrinth and taking a spin on the psychedelic attraction Mad Hatter’s Tea Cups.

D&M comment: Mainly a photo location at the exit of Alice's Labyrinth where Alice's throne is. A table with teacups will be installed and we can probably expect the Mad Hatter character doing appearances.

5 - Adventureland rhythms of the jungle

For those who, like Baloo, only need the bare necessities!
    The “Hakuna Matata” terrace has become the new hotspot for getting down in the jungle to the sound of tam-tams with the heroes of great Disney Classics such as The Jungle Book and The Lion King. Untamed winds are blowing over Adventureland and may bring along performances from characters such as Baloo, King Louie, Timon, or the wise old Rafiki for a frenzied dance or two. Their sidekicks Zazu and Kaa won’t miss the occasion to spice up your personal photo shoot.

D&M comment: Another photo location, this time in Adventureland, with Jungle Book-Lion King characters. Guests should be able to play drums on African drums which will be at their disposal.

6 - Moteurs… Action ! Stunt Show Spectacular featuring Lightning McQueen!
    If you love thrills, spectacular special effects and the action of revving automobiles, then this show is for you…
    The most exciting automobile stunt show welcomes a feisty new star! While the Disney-Pixar film Cars 2 is still in the makings, Lightning McQueen has decided to make a pit stop at the Walt Disney Studios Park! Lots of fast-paced memories await you during this exceptional appearance. Watch for the flag—Lightning McQueen is ready to hit the asphalt...moteurs ...action!

D&M comment: A "Lightning McQueen" car will be part of the WDS stunt show but don't expect McQueen to do dangerous stunts or to jump through a ring of fire. Looks more like a guest star doing a cameo appearance during the show.

7 - Meet Rapunzel from Walt Disney Pictures' "Tangled"

The latest Disney heroine from Disney Studios has set a new trend for long hair—endlessly long hair... Decidedly modern from her temper to the tips of her magical hair, Rapunzel has a way of moving people... especially her beloved brigand Flynn Rider. Discover her story and world by stepping into a giant pop-up book decor for a magical photo. And great memories lie ahead on the ‘hair’izon when you might come across them around Fantasyland!

D&M comment: Another photo location in Fantasyland with the Tangled characters.

8 - Disney's Once Upon a Dream Parade with interactive show stops
    Have you ever dreamt of being part of Disneyland Paris Parade?
    This year, the Disneyland Park grants your wish and invites you into its fabulous Disney’s Once Upon a Dream parade. It’s revolutionary—the Disney films’ greatest stars and their friends encourage guests to take part as the parade moves along through numerous accessories, dance moves and other fantastic tricks!

D&M comment: Nothing new here, it's the same parade with guests interaction when the parade stops, although i've been told that the children interaction have been change a bit.

Note: The picture above, like all pics in this article, is coming from the DLP press website but a closer look reveal that it was shot at Disneyland, Anaheim, and not at Disneyland Paris!

9 - Green Army Men Meet & Play
    Want to see what it’s like to be a toy?
    Destination Toy Story Playland(3), the all-new land in the Walt Disney Studios Park with three new attractions: Slinky Dog Zigzag Spin, Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop and RC Racer! Andy’s Green Army Men enlist guests in an adventure in Andy’s extraordinary backyard and invite them to experience excitement alongside Buzz Lightyear and friends while reduced to the size of real toys.

D&M comment: The Green Army Men will appear, regularly, in Toy Story Playland.

10 - Smile and say "Cheese" with Remy and Emile
    Saying “cheese” before a photo has just taken on new meaning!
    Remy the gourmet and his gluttonous brother Emile have specially ordered a huge French cheese platter for guests of the Walt Disney Studios Park. Guests will love to pop their heads through the holes, while saying “cheese” for the photographer alongside the stars of Ratatouille. A fun food moment to remember forever!

D&M comment: Another photo location, this time at the WDS, that's basically what it is.

11 - Monsters, Inc. Scream Academy
    What if you could scream to the top of your lungs with no limits?
    Sully, top scarer at Monsters, Inc. and his faithful assistant, Mike, encourage guests to participate in a terrifying screaming contest. Meet them at Toon Studios to break the decibel meter and experience a spine-tingling moment with the Monsters, Inc. Scream Academy.

D&M comment: Like last year and the year before, DLP marketing dept try to sell the Monsters, Inc. Scream Academy like if it was something new, but it's not.

12 - Aladdin’s Magic Lamp
    What if you could have three wishes from a magical lamp just like Aladdin?
    It has been said that Aladdin’s famous magical lamp is hidden somewhere near Adventureland, in the newly-installed market of Agrabah... What could be the best way to release the Genie and receive your three wishes? Posing for a magical souvenir photo while rubbing the lamp!

D&M comment: It sems that we have here another photo location in Adventureland. An Aladdin decor with a magic lamp will be build and the lamp will make sounds when guests will rub it. Don't expect a Genie hologram coming out of the lamp, but the Genie and Aladdin characters will probably appear along the day.

13 - Share the love with Wall-E and Eve!
    What if there was proof that love would still exist 700 years from now?
    Come to Discoveryland for an encounter with Wall-E, the most lovable and earth-friendly robot who can’t hide his love for Eve, the prettiest android in the universe. A timeless love story full of humour and romance shared by two heroes from the 28th century.

D&M comment: And here is another photo location this time in Tomorrowland which was installed last year. See picture above.

14 - Disney Dance Express
    Feel like partying with your favourite Disney character?
    The “Disney Dance Express” train crosses Main Street, U.S.A., several times a day, and invites guests to get down to the rhythm of Broadway. Goofy, Minnie, Donald, Chip ’n’ Dale, and even Daisy and Pluto... They’re all ready to bring the Disneyland Park atmosphere alive with the “Magic Movers”!

D&M comment: Here comes the Disney Dance Express train, which is exactly the same train going down (or up) Main Street since the last four years.

(end of press release)

Alright, as you've read this "Disney Magical Moments Festival" year is an "in between" year and we'll have to wait for 2012 and the 20th Anniversary to eventually expect something really exciting. The Mickey’s Magical Celebration and Peter Pan shows might be fun but others will be mostly small happenings in each land if not simple photo locations. As no new attraction was expected in 2011 there is no real disappointment, but clearly the park is saving money this year. Will they spend more bucks for the 2012 20th Anniversary? This is what you'll learn in my next DLP update, coming soon, probably next week.

Two important words now about my DLP book for those of you who don't have it yet: I have a bad news as the "Disneyland Paris, From Sketch to Reality" book with its 320 pages and 750 pictures is now officially out of stock everywhere whether it is at Disneyland Paris or at the publisher. The park informed me that they have no more copies in stock of the book whether it is the french or the english edition and the publisher is not planning any reprint of the book, too.

The very last copies available are the last one i have, and i have only 4 copies of the first FRENCH edition (2002, in perfect condition) very valuable "collectible" edition as it is the first edition: price per copy is 250 euros, plus 35 euros of registered air mail shipping and packing. And i should be able to send you a Word file of the whole english text, if you can't read french. Of course, as i am one of the two authors of the book, each copy will be sign specially for you or anyone you wish. Don't forget too, to tell me the name to whom you wish I dedicate the book.

I also have two copies of the extremely rare french COLLECTOR'S edition (printed on a luxury paper, including four WDS artwork lithographs, and limited and numbered of 2000). The copies i have are extremely good "numbers" as they are among the "20" or "30" / 2000 and the price for a collector copy is 500 euros plus 30 euros of registered air mail shipping.

Payment can be done with Paypal or by wire transfert if you don't have a Paypal account.

You can see inside pages of this beautiful book on this D&M page HERE and to order the book please email me at: [email protected]

Paypal payment can be sent to: [email protected]

The prices above may seems high, i agree, but have a look at the prices of other people selling the book on Amazon.fr, and you'll see that i still am the cheapest one as they sell a normal edition at 599€ and a collector edition at 1990€!!! Same crazy prices on Amazon.com. I'm afraid that his book is going to be extremely difficult to find in the future and prices on Amazon will go very high in the next months...

Pictures: copyright Disney
    Last edited by loaloa55; 02-24-2011 at 02:52 PM.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Re: Disneyland Paris : All about the 2011 " Disney Magical Moments " Festival

The ad has been one of huge debate in the UK amongst Disney fans. Some are very pleased because they perceive it as endowing equal status with WDW (it is a duel campaign). Others are frustrated that it focuses on children, and is a clear sign that Disney has given up on adult fans (also evidenced by the lack of merchandise or mature entertainment offerings in the Village (they have closed all but one of the live music/dance venues (there used to be 5 in total).

and then to quote Sarah "why are they not promoting Disneyland, the original?"

Some other interesting things in this article. THe Peter Pan shot would have been traditionally been shot in front of the pirate ship and skull rock. Sadly the ship is rotting away in a disgusting state. It was scheduled for maintenance earlier this month, but as of today, there is still no sign of that starting. Many of us are angry they are spending their money on things like this promo and Toy story Playland instead of sorting the park refurbs (though the Castle has finally started, 3 years later than we were informed it would start).

Here are some pirate ship pics that will show you my concern/anger (thanks to Disney Central Plaza):

and thanks to Malin for sharing this one:

We would rather have them sort these than more meet, and greet, and grope experiences (e.g. turning the wonderful It's a Small World post show into a Princess Meet and Greet.

Now onto the offerings. This new hub show will be new, but is simply an update of the hub shows that have been running for the last 3 years. Shows which get many complaints of pushing and shoving. And in the meantime, the 4 purpose built theatres, 3 of them indoors (which is a god send with European weather) have sat empty. There is a light, in that Tarzan, the 10 year old show (though it is amazing, and one of my fav shows to grace a Disney stage) is rumoured to return this summer after casting for it. However, at the same time, they are ripping out all the benches in front of the castle stage, a scene of meet and greets for the last few years (yet in the early years had one of the coolest shows using a magic pop up book - also played host to Gloria Estephan, the Gypsy Kings, Four Tops and Four Seasons together, Angela Lansberry and many more).

Now with the Disney Princesses, a Royal Invitation, it will be interesting to see what happens here. The aforementioned Castle Stage has been used for Princess meet and greets for a few years now. The reason they can call this new is they have turfed out the delightful it's a small world post show that highlighted hologram animation of children in different country costumes singing IASM to each other. It was delightful. Now with the attraction no longer being sponsored by France Telecom, it made sense to close the post show in Spring of 2010(though I shall miss it, as do my children). and the plan was to relocate the princesses to a newly decorated environment - although thematically a little dodgy (though no where near as bad as them being on the Adventureland Verranda in the MK), at least it is indoors and heated/aced. But when the announcement came that WDW Fantasyland Expansion would have a princess meet and greet, the rumour mill suggested that this feature will be delayed in Paris so they could be built at the same time. It will be interesting to see what happens. And no matter what, I can bet there will be longer lines for this than IASW next door :-(

4 - The Wonderful World of Alice and The Mad Hatter

Now this one I find particularly sad. for those unfamiliar with DLP, in Fantasyland, we have an Alice miniland that is more ornate than any of the other parks. There is a wonderful organic Labrynth with special effects, then a large throne in an arbour with a tea pot topiary in front of it. That faces the Mad Hatter's Unbirthday Cake Cottage (or whatever they call it these days - it used to be a wonderful venue where you could buy different flavour unbirthday cakes and decorate them your self - last time I looked, they sold potaoe chips and the same muffins you can buy everywhere across the park). Next to that is a long table with different chairs and a large teapot with the door mouse in it (like the one in the middle of the Mad Hatter Tea Cups at WDW). Then there are the tea cups themselves.

Back in the glory days of DLP, you would often find Alice, White Rabbit, The Queen of Hearts et all playing games and posing for photos in this area without any need for marketing. Those moments disappeared (like the Dapper Dans before them) well over a decade ago. I suppose I should be happy for the return, but at the same time it is a disappointment.

5 - Adventureland Rhythms of the Jungle will be in the spot where the african Tam Tams used to play. It will be interesting to see if they still do. Last year, these African Drummers moved over to Videopolis in Discoveryland to try to compensate for the fact the Lion King Show was no longer on. Now don't get me wrong, I love the TamTams, they are one of my favorite "attractions" at DLP. But what are African drummers in traditional dress doing in Discoveryland rather than Adventureland, one that has an almost Animal Kingdom Harambe quality to it with a large African themed section?

6 - Moteurs… Action ! Stunt Show Spectacular featuring Lightning McQueen!

Now this one has conjured a lot of interest. People are wondering whether Lighting McQueen will replace the Herbie segment, and how they will weave it in given Herbie is designed to show how car stunts are filmed and McQueen is animated. But this was brought to you by the same idiotic management team that thought putting Mickey and the Gang in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show (up to that point an almost perfect preproduction of the show that William cody brought to Paris over 100 years ago).

also the other big question is whether the big jumps will return. After an accident last year, the show has been running without the jumps, and many return guests are asking "why bother". After all, we lost the jet skis in year 2 due to an accident. I am reticent to waste an hour if the show is only 40% of what it used to be.

Number 7 - meeting Rapunzel and Flynn might be interesting (shame the Flynn is not of the TRON variety though ;-)

9 - Green Army Men Meet & Play

Now this is quite cool. And definately welcome. After all, most kids are too short to ride RC Racer, and if you get there and don't want to stand in 60-90 minute carnival rides you can wait 10 minutes for in other parks, this gives something that will add to the experience. And that gets a huge thumbs up from me.

10 - Smile and say "Cheese" with Remy and Emile

What is interesting about this one is they are planned to be in front of the restaurant where you can meet the to scale Remy. It would have made better sense to place them in the PArisian street that was created in front of Toy Story Playland, unless of course they are going to start construction on the rumoured Ratatouille attraction that has had earth cleared, and strutural elements seen, but has not gone verticle or been announced officially.

11 and 12 are not new at all, but a useful reminder to newbies I suppose.

13 - Share the love with Wall-E and Eve!

Now this was installed last year, and is very cool at night, I like this one. And it is on theme too!

14 - Disney Dance Express

Ok, I really hate this thing now. It was introduced for the 15th anniversary reusing a 15 year old parade float to have a mini parade (set to a TDL annoying parade song, dubbed into high pitched french akin to justin beiber and finger nails scraping on a chalk board). It takes a shed load of characters down to the hub for meet and greets. sounds great? Well the trade of is the Main Street Vehicles hardly run anymore (forget seeing the horsedrawn street car, maybe during EMH if you are lucky). and lots of pushing and shoving and tears to be had at the hub as everyone charges for the character (yet when they just appear in the lands it does not seem as bad).

Now, personally, I would rather they did not bother, and simply restored the pirate ship, the castle and some of the streetmousephere that has been lacking. But I guess this is a relatively inexpensive way for them to plug something.

But to me, this is clearly much ado about nothing, and similar to every other lame character led campaign since the 15th anniversary. Now what will be interesting is to see if anything happens for next year's 20th - though they are cutting it fine if they were going to develop a new attraction.

Any one heard anything?

We will be in DLP in the 2nd week of this new celebration, if anyone is interested in us covering it. Though with the lack of feedback the Paris offerings get, I do not want to waste my time.
    Last edited by davewasbaloo; 03-02-2011 at 03:06 AM.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Not here to help

Ladys and gentlemen, boys and girls! welcome to Disneyland in Paris!

The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Tomorrow's Child

I can't believe they could even let it get that bad. What are they thinking?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    I can't believe they could even let it get that bad. What are they thinking?
    uhhhm i believe nothing, thinking is not one of they´re special offerings...

another question is, for what we have to pay that much for a visit? sorry i don´t get it anymore..

^
    That noone will Notice...
    Really thats what i think.

They need to clean up and fix everything before it comes to a carnival park :O
    Here come's the bride.
    As long as we live.
    Till death do us part.
    You may kiss the bride.

• Tomorrow's Child

Trouble is, the worse they let it get, the more of a vicious circle it becomes. They fear that refurbs will put people off, but mouldy attractions will do that also.

No manner of promotions will help them then.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

agreed. if they fixed the park up, put in proper themed streetmousphere and had decent opening hours (without staggered opening and closing times for attractions, shops and restaurants) I would be very happy and not mind the fees.

I cannot believe on the DIS boards how upset everyone is that the castle is covered in scaffolding. I am over the moon. It is 6 years too late IMHO.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Tomorrow's Child

I never understand people getting upset at refurbs. They are a necessity, and without them you end up with messes like the Hook's Ship.

Best comment I ever saw was "we found out Space was shut when we were planning to go so we're not going to Florida this year"

A comment truly worthy of WTF status.

Walt Disney

• Not here to help

It could be from years of neglect...
    Reading all the posts made by DLP fans here and on forums claiming to be magic one could think that DLP visitors have lower expectations on standards than fans and visitors of other Disney resorts.
    Lowering peoples expectations is what makes it possible for the company to avoid expenses for as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    I wish a quick refurbishment of this one. It's not possible to show this horror everyday for our guests !

Guest Relations & Ticketing Coordinator @ Disneyland Paris
    English is not my mother tongue, I hope you would forgive me for my spelling mistakes.

• Future Imagineer

Maybe management will decide to refurbish a lot of the attractions for the 20th anniversary like Disneyland did for it's 50th.

• Geek

Quote Originally Posted by DLRaddict View Post
    Maybe management will decide to refurbish a lot of the attractions for the 20th anniversary like Disneyland did for it's 50th.
    you're obviously not that familiar with Euro Disney SCA ;-)

• DisneyParks Fan

Neither are you ;-)

That is the objective.

Hi, I'm a french who tries to speak in English! Please forgive me for the horrible mistakes I make. And don't hesitate to correct me :-) Thank you!

• Not here to help

Eeh... no they won´t

Repainting the castle and rebuilding the ship would not mean that the park is fixed. We are talking about a need of a COMPLETE refurb of ALL lands and ALL rides here.
    Don´t let some of the DLP fans that say the park is "OK" fool you. Most of them would not know what Disney class was if it smacked them in the face. Just take a look over at european Disneyland forums what the fans of DLP write about the parks and you will see why Disney can get away with a rotting Disneyland and a second gate that looks like carnival on a parkinglot.

I wonder how many times they will "retheme" that train and how many "diffrent" showes will be shown infront of the castle until the park gets something new... or good?

Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 03-02-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast