Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Euro Disney seeks budget increase to revive parks before key anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSylt View Post
    The problem is that it is in a vicious circle at the moment - there are no new attractions so it is harder to attract more guests which makes it harder to get enough money to fund new attractions. I think that shareholders should campaign for a clean slate with completely new management. This would start to draw a line under the situation of the past.

I also think it would make sense for TWDC to buy EDL in order to maintain a consistent standard at least. This won't happen since TWDC would then shoulder the losses but it would at least stop the poor state of EDL being a bad advert for the other parks. It is not consistent for one park to get a $200m new attraction (Radiator Springs Rally) in one year as a new additon and another park to get perhaps 10% of that spent on refurbishments as its new addition.

I think you can read a great deal from the fact that the management is boasting about refurbishments. There is an expression which says 'one protesteth too much'. In a nutshell, the refurbs are nothing to be proud of so why shout about them?
    Unfortunately TWDC can't buy ED SCA due to the Agreement from 1987. They are only allowed to hold a maximun of 49%. It's time that TWDC takes responsibilty for the mess and invests into the resort.

There is so much going wrong in Paris. For example the resort isn't advertised in the DACH market (Germany, Austria and Switzerland) at all. Germany is one of the wealthiest countries in the world and they like to travel a lot. I really don't get it why ED SCA neglects an 80 million people market. Disney is very popular over here and I'm sure many Germans would visit the resort if it would be advertised.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
    Unfortunately TWDC can't buy ED SCA due to the Agreement from 1987. They are only allowed to hold a maximun of 49%. It's time that TWDC takes responsibilty for the mess and invests into the resort.
    Thanks, I was going to ask what the maxium a US company could own in France.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

In 2012, a new nighttime show will be presented, maybe a Fantasmic-like nighttime spectacular. Jack Sparrow will very certainly join Pirates of the Caribbean. Phantom Manor will probably be updated with Flying Leota for instance. And Star Tours: The Adventures Continue was also rumored, but I think it will come later, probably after Ratatouille's ride, which is an advanced project. Ratatouille's attraction and restaurant will maybe open in 2013 as part of The 20 years continue... big time.

The only think which is sure is that a new nighttime show will be presented in 2012 because the Enchanted Fireworks will not be presented next year.

• will-o-the-whip

Too bad Jack Sparrow is going to join PotC, his absence from the attraction was actually was one of the resort's best selling points to me.

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    Too bad Jack Sparrow is going to join PotC, his absence from the attraction was actually was one of the resort's best selling points to me.
    I agree, the Paris version is amazing. If Sparrow does have to be added I hope they don't just add the same scenes as in the Orlando and California versions. It's nice to have the rides unique. The same goes for Phantom Manor.

• Not here to help

Great post mr Sylt! Here is my favorite part:

I understand that they have to accentuate the positives but if they have come to being proud of refurbishments I think they may well have lost sight of their goals.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• DisneyParks Fan

Pathetic!
    Do I remind you that it was just a PRESENTATION of refurbs reserved to FANS! DLP isn't "proud of refurbs" or whatever! They had just presented their schedule of refurbs to the fans! Just that, nothing more!

Hi, I'm a french who tries to speak in English! Please forgive me for the horrible mistakes I make. And don't hesitate to correct me :-) Thank you!

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandParis View Post
    Pathetic!
    Do I remind you that it was just a PRESENTATION of refurbs reserved to FANS! DLP isn't "proud of refurbs" or whatever! They had just presented their schedule of refurbs to the fans! Just that, nothing more!
    But then again... some have said that "now that DLP is getting refurbs everything will be good" or something like it. Most people will not agree that refurbs is anything more than a necessary thing. To all other parks refurbs are a "whatever thing" but in DLP it is big news...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandParis View Post
    Pathetic!
    I'm sorry that just does not make sense. Why show off refurbishments to fans? What is next - putting out a press release to say that there is new soap in the washrooms??!! The truth of the matter is that refurbs are a GIVEN at any other park except for DLP.

What the EDL management does not understand is that it would be better to say nothing than 'present a schedule of refurbs' - it makes it look like they are trying to show off anything because there is nothing significant to talk about. Members of the business media notice this and it reflects badly on the EDL management.

As I mentioned in my initial post, although there is less pressure on EDL than there is on a typical company, the management is not immune. I believe that it is only a matter of time before there is a clean sweep and they all go.

But are you complaining because DLP decided to inform fans?
    It's not like they called journalists in order to sell these refurbs to guests !
    They know fans want to know what is planned for the resort so that's why the did it !

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    It's not like they called journalists in order to sell these refurbs to guests !
    They know fans want to know what is planned for the resort so that's why the did it !
    To clarify, EDL presented refurbs to fansites which reported on it. I equate fansite editors to journalists because it could be insulting to do otherwise.

But why did EDL present the refurbs? There is nothing to tell - new paving for an area and new paint for a building = nothing so why try to make it something? The answer is that they have nothing better to tell and in their 20th year that is a good indication of the quality of the EDL management.

Most sensible people would just keep quiet but when you are presiding over a 200 million euro loss you aren't exactly in a normal situation and you might try to make something out of nothing. It's no wonder really because if you admit the truth - that you have steered your shareholders to tens of millions of dollars of losses your days may well be numbered!

To clarify, EDL presented refurbs to fansites which reported on it. I equate fansite editors to journalists because it could be insulting to do otherwise.

But why did EDL present the refurbs? There is nothing to tell - new paving for an area and new paint for a building = nothing so why try to make it something? The answer is that they have nothing better to tell and in their 20th year that is a good indication of the quality of the EDL management.

Most sensible people would just keep quiet but when you are presiding over a 200 million euro loss you aren't exactly in a normal situation and you might try to make something out of nothing. It's no wonder really because if you admit the truth - that you have steered your shareholders to tens of millions of dollars of losses your days may well be numbered!
    They've just made a new Molly Brown. For the occasion, Disney's Imagineers answered questions about the new colors of the Castle, about the new Captain Hook's Pirates Ship, etc. The also told the fans that a new nighttime show will be presented in 2012, but they didn't want to give more details to keep it as a surprise.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    It is a sign that something is wrong when a themepark has to mention refurbs like something good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Pot View Post
    They've just made a new Molly Brown. For the occasion, Disney's Imagineers answered questions about the new colors of the Castle, about the new Captain Hook's Pirates Ship, etc. The also told the fans that a new nighttime show will be presented in 2012, but they didn't want to give more details to keep it as a surprise.
    The fansites could not have known that there were refurbs unless they had been told by EDL. It is yet another fundamental mistake like those which have led to the 200 million euro losses over the past five years. I agree with TimmyTimmyTimmy though I would say that mentioning the refurbs is more than a sign that something is wrong: it IS wrong. It is one thing that the EDL management makes the huge losses for the shareholders but it is another thing that the management thinks is it sensible to promote the refurbs in the absence of new attractions.

• DisneyParks Fan

They didn't promote refurbs! Get over it...

Hi, I'm a french who tries to speak in English! Please forgive me for the horrible mistakes I make. And don't hesitate to correct me :-) Thank you!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast