Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Euro Disney seeks budget increase to revive parks before key anniversary

This story is honestly depressing, and I love that they call Toy Storyland three small fairground-style attractions. LOL

The Paris-based theme park operator Euro Disney is in talks with lenders about increasing its investment budget to make improvements before its 20th anniversary a year from now.
    But the business, which runs the Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney Studio theme parks, is struggling with a massive debt mountain and poor visitor numbers that could undermine its fundraising move.
    To make matters worse, Euro Disney is also under investigation by France's stock market watchdog after the price of its shares doubled to €9.05 (Ģ7.95) over a 10-day period in February.
    A total of 50.2% of Euro Disney's shares are publicly traded on Paris's Euronext exchange and the spike left analysts scratching their heads. As a result, celebrations for its 19th birthday on Tuesday are on ice.
    . . .
    Last edited by Dustysage; 04-25-2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Made quote

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Banned User

Re: Euro Disney seeks budget increase to revive parks before key anniversary

That place is a mess...you're right though, this is depressing.

• Geek

very bad news.
    imagine cutting the budget from what it is now!
    the parks will literally stagnate for years while they pay off the debt.

• Not here to help

"Three small fairground-style attractions were built last year"
    Someone should post this on magicforum... and that WDS fan site just to make people wake up hahah.

Itīs not strange that DLP and WDS sucks. They simply donīt have the money it takes to expand and develop. DLP is getting refurbs but not any enhacments. Refurbs is nothing to be happy about, itīs just one of those things that it takes to run a park.

This is what you get when you build six hotels for one themepark.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 04-12-2011 at 12:18 AM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

TimmyTimmyTimmy, I agree with you on many things about DLRP, but not everyone on that particular forum is happy about TSPL. I don't like it at all and many other members think the same way.

We all know that you hate DLRP for certain reasons, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to. And honestly WDW isn't in a much better shape, especially the MK, at least it wasn't in 2008 when we visited that place. I have never been to TDR or HKDL, but I'm getting tired of those comparisions, because everyone already knows that Tokyo is the best Disney resort.

I completly agree that TSPL is a mess and shouldn't have been built. Unfortunately Disney did and now we have to live with it. WDS is far away from being a real Disney park, but many attractions are better than their counterparts in Florida and it offers Cinemgique one of the best Disney attractions.

You are also right that refurbishments shouldn't be something to be happy about, especially at Disney, becuase their parks set the standards in maintenance and a good condition of the parks should be the normal way. Unfortunately DLRP isn't blessed with money and that's why the parks looked a bit run down. Given the financial situation of the resort I'm happy that the park gets some attention. I just fear that if the money is tight, the park will look bad again soon. I prefere a good looking park over a new attraction.

And building too many hotels wasn't the fault of the DLRP management team. TWDC and WDI have to take responsibilty for that and that's why I think it is a very bad move from TWDC to neglect DLRP.

The new themed year with photolocations and toons everywhere is also crap. That money should have been spent somewhere else. Maybe the future will be a bit better, because a long term Imagineer from WDI in Glendale became the new head of DLP-I.

And by the way that article was posted on that forum.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
    TimmyTimmyTimmy, I agree with you on many things about DLRP, but not everyone on that particular forum is happy about TSPL. I don't like it at all and many other members think the same way.

We all know that you hate DLRP for certain reasons, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to. And honestly WDW isn't in a much better shape, especially the MK, at least it wasn't in 2008 when we visited that place. I have never been to TDR or HKDL, but I'm getting tired of those comparisions, because everyone already knows that Tokyo is the best Disney resort.

I completly agree that TSPL is a mess and shouldn't have been built. Unfortunately Disney did and now we have to live with it. WDS is far away from being a real Disney park, but many attractions are better than their counterparts in Florida and it offers Cinemgique one of the best Disney attractions.

You are also right that refurbishments shouldn't be something to be happy about, especially at Disney, becuase their parks set the standards in maintenance and a good condition of the parks should be the normal way. Unfortunately DLRP isn't blessed with money and that's why the parks looked a bit run down. Given the financial situation of the resort I'm happy that the park gets some attention. I just fear that if the money is tight, the park will look bad again soon. I prefere a good looking park over a new attraction.

And building too many hotels wasn't the fault of the DLRP management team. TWDC and WDI have to take responsibilty for that and that's why I think it is a very bad move from TWDC to neglect DLRP.

The new themed year with photolocations and toons everywhere is also crap. That money should have been spent somewhere else. Maybe the future will be a bit better, because a long term Imagineer from WDI in Glendale became the new head of DLP-I.

And by the way that article was posted on that forum.
    I donīt hate DLP, I hate what the people that run it do with it. ...and SO SHOULD EVERYONE ELSE. It is not Disney what is going on in that place, itīs something else. Thatīs sad. What is even worse is that people keep going on and protecting the fact that the resort is in the state it is. The worst comment I ever herd was that "WDS has fan forum but TDS has not, it makes WDS better". Why on earth shouldnīt we compare Disneyland to other Disneyland. Letīs forget about Magic Kingdom... that park is getting MAJOR work done and by the way it isnīt even a "Disneyland". Soon the will be a fresch and new Shanghai park. Yet another park looking better than the one in Paris. Perhaps we should compare DLP to a dumpster that keeps getting filled with new trash each and every other day?

I am going to DLP in 2012... but I might just cancell my trip there and to on of the other resorts insted since they canīt offer me ANYTHING new or improved in France. Not even Star Tours 2 or a redone Pirates ride. They spent alot of money on a area that doesnīt fit in a park that already was messed up. ...and from what I have herd most of the people (not all) loved the idea of a Toy Story Playland.
    I seriuosly hope they wont build a third park in Paris the next 30 years. They will just mess it up like they did to that thing they call the second gate.

The post that started this thread is the most depressing thing a fan of Disney can read. ...but it is the truth about that half amazing and half TERRIBLE place called Disneyland Resort Paris.

...itīs WDS that I hate and nothing else.

• DisneyParks Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    The post that started this thread is the most depressing thing a fan of Disney can read. ...but it is the truth about that half amazing and half TERRIBLE place called Disneyland Resort Paris.
    Disneyland Resort Paris doesn't exist... Disneyland Paris does. Just to say the official name of the resort is: Disneyland Paris and not "Resort Paris".

Anyway, when I read some post, I have a feeling Disneyland Paris is... a trash! And the funny part is that people who say that are people who doesn't often come at Disneyland Paris. So, can you be objective when you are not on the field and run down DisneyParks Paris like that?
    I'm not so sure.
    And once again, no we can't compareDisneyland Paris to other Disneyland. I'm sure at hundred % that if Disneyland Paris had the same budget that Disneyland Resort (no debt and so on...), everything would be good as well. But it's not the case.

Hi, I'm a french who tries to speak in English! Please forgive me for the horrible mistakes I make. And don't hesitate to correct me :-) Thank you!

I donīt hate DLP, I hate what the people that run it do with it. ...and SO SHOULD EVERYONE ELSE. It is not Disney what is going on in that place, itīs something else. Thatīs sad. What is even worse is that people keep going on and protecting the fact that the resort is in the state it is. The worst comment I ever herd was that "WDS has fan forum but TDS has not, it makes WDS better". Why on earth shouldnīt we compare Disneyland to other Disneyland. Letīs forget about Magic Kingdom... that park is getting MAJOR work done and by the way it isnīt even a "Disneyland". Soon the will be a fresch and new Shanghai park. Yet another park looking better than the one in Paris. Perhaps we should compare DLP to a dumpster that keeps getting filled with new trash each and every other day?

I am going to DLP in 2012... but I might just cancell my trip there and to on of the other resorts insted since they canīt offer me ANYTHING new or improved in France. Not even Star Tours 2 or a redone Pirates ride. They spent alot of money on a area that doesnīt fit in a park that already was messed up. ...and from what I have herd most of the people (not all) loved the idea of a Toy Story Playland.
    I seriuosly hope they wont build a third park in Paris the next 30 years. They will just mess it up like they did to that thing they call the second gate.

...itīs WDS that I hate and nothing else.
    Timmy, I really get what you are saying and it is frustrating what's going on in Paris. I just wanted to point out that you can't say that EVERYONE on that other forum loves TSPL, because many share the same opinion with you.

What do you expect from DLRP? I don't want to protect DLRP, because they are doing a terrible job with adding carnival rides and toons to the parks, but from an economic point of view there aren't many possibilities. And that's why I'm even more angry that TSPL was added. It didn't bring more guests to the resort. History has proven that it needs something great, like SM in 1995. The year afterwards ED SCA made money for the first time. And in 2008 it was TOT that contributed to the record attendance.

ED SCA isn't even able to launch a proper advertising campaign in the huge German market. Germany is one of the wealthiest countries in the world and people love to travel, but nearly no one knows what DLRP is about.

Of course we can compare all Disneylands around the globe, because all should have the same standard. I don't understand what you mean with MK not being a Disneyland. The park just has another name and that's it. And just because the MK gets new rides and attractions, doesn't mean the park is getting better. Or do you mean something else with major work?
    In 2008 there were many places around the park that needed a refurb. DLP and the whole resort is far away from what is has been in the beginning, but I really hope that the current refurb of the park improves the quality. Unfortunately I could never experience that time. I'm sure you may disagree with me, but I'm happy that at least the management tries to improve the park.

Maybe I'm getting a wrong impression, but even when DLP is refurbished in the next years and will look a lot better than today, you will not be happy with it and will still compare it with a dumpster. I know you are going to say that Disney shouldn't have let it happen in the first place that the park looks so bad. Completly agree!!!

It's really sad that DLRP will not get ST II, but, although I liked the Jack Sparrow version, I would be fine if Disney keeps him away from Paris. I like that DLP is still having the original.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandParis View Post
    And once again, no we can't compareDisneyland Paris to other Disneyland. I'm sure at hundred % that if Disneyland Paris had the same budget that Disneyland Resort (no debt and so on...), everything would be good as well. But it's not the case.
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. You are right that the economic situation of DLRP is bad and that's why Paris will never be like other Disney parks. But it is still a Disney park and it deserves the same quality than other parks. And that's why many people are angry that the spare money was used for three small carnival rides that doesn't fit into WDS. That money could have been spent for refurbishments.
    And this year DLRP is adding a lot of cheap photolocations to the park. Why should that attract people?

WDW makes a lot of money, but in recent years that resort was also on the cheap side. I'm sure DLRP management would act the same way, even if the resort would make a lot of money. Maybe the second park would be better.

• DisneyParks Fan

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. You are right that the economic situation of DLRP is bad and that's why Paris will never be like other Disney parks. But it is still a Disney park and it deserves the same quality than other parks. And that's why many people are angry that the spare money was used for three small carnival rides that doesn't fit into WDS. That money could have been spent for refurbishments.
    And this year DLRP is adding a lot of cheap photolocations to the park. Why should that attract people?
    WDW makes a lot of money, but in recent years that resort was also on the cheap side. I'm sure DLRP management would act the same way, even if the resort would make a lot of money. Maybe the second park would be better.
    Well it's a choice of management. What do want french people? Innovations!
    New rides (even cheap rides) = more guests.
    Disneyland Paris can't promote refurbs so = no more guests.
    And yes, for us, fans, TSPL is bad. But we are fans, and DLP targets the lambda guests!
    And I don't think DLP would do like WDW. Gas loves new rides himself!

It's really sad that DLRP will not get ST II, but, although I liked the Jack Sparrow version, I would be fine if Disney keeps him away from Paris. I like that DLP is still having the original.
    I'm sorry, but we still don't know if ST II will arrive at DLP or not. Gas said "If the money could not be better to use somewhere else because it is about a big nap for an upgrade". But maybe the money will be used for that. It's still on the table ;-)

Hi, I'm a french who tries to speak in English! Please forgive me for the horrible mistakes I make. And don't hesitate to correct me :-) Thank you!

I'm sorry, but we still don't know if ST II will arrive at DLP or not. Gas said "If the money could not be better to use somewhere else because it is about a big nap for an upgrade". But maybe the money will be used for that. It's still on the table ;-)
    According to people who have attended the press event for this year's festival, Philippe Gas said during a dinner with invited webmasters from Disney Fansites, that ST II will not come to Paris in the next seven years.

Have you seen the current state of the ride? A few weeks ago photos, that showed broken parts fixed with duct tape, appeared on Micechat.

• Not here to help

Disneyland Resort Paris doesn't exist... Disneyland Paris does. Just to say the official name of the resort is: Disneyland Paris and not "Resort Paris".

Anyway, when I read some post, I have a feeling Disneyland Paris is... a trash! And the funny part is that people who say that are people who doesn't often come at Disneyland Paris. So, can you be objective when you are not on the field and run down DisneyParks Paris like that?
    I'm not so sure.
    Who cares? alot people still call it EuroDisney, just like some call EPCOT "Epcot Center" and Hollywood studios "MGM" so on...

I never liked the "resort" in the name of... resorts anyway.

• Not here to help

According to people who have attended the press event for this year's festival, Philippe Gas said during a dinner with invited webmasters from Disney Fansites, that ST II will not come to Paris in the next seven years.

Have you seen the current state of the ride? A few weeks ago photos, that showed broken parts fixed with duct tape, appeared on Micechat.
    I just want to say I know alot of people share my oppinion when it comes to to TSPL... but there are ALOT of loud and RUDE voices on the DLP forums in Europe that beat down on everyone posting anything negative about the worst park Disney ever made, WDS. You can read for yourself... in another forum... you know the one... where people have no idea what Disney is and always should be.

I have also herd that ST2 wont come to Paris... I can just say that I find it hard to believe. It feels like they either change Star Tours like in the US parks or just close it down. It is one of the most run down rides I have ever been on in the world, and I have been to carnivals in communist Poland during the 80s!

Itīs a shame. DLP has some of the best looking environments in the world and the BEST looking castle ever built on this planet in my oppinion. It is also the best balanced park of all, featuring a perfect mix of thrills and calm rides.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 04-12-2011 at 06:52 AM.

• DisneyParks Fan

At that dinner, he said what I said.
    Yes, it is really bad! I hope ST II will come!

Who cares? alot people still call it EuroDisney, just like some call EPCOT "Epcot Center" and Hollywood studios "MGM" so on...

I never liked the "resort" in the name of... resorts anyway.
    Calm down! I just said that like that.

At that dinner, he said what I said.
    Yes, it is really bad! I hope ST II will come!
    I hope you are right! Did you attend that meeting as well? Other sources also claim that Ratatouille isn't coming as well.

For me it is very strange to mention a certain time frame during which an attraction will not come. Seven years is a strange number, especially since ED SCA wants to repay a part of its debt until 2014. That's three years and then the money could be used for new rides again. I'm not an accountant, so maybe I'm misinterpreting the article.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast