Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Does The Walt Disney Company forget Disneyland Paris?

Every Disney Resort will have a major expansion plan :
    -Disneyland Resort (Disney California Adventure)
    -Walt Disney World Resort (Fantasyland)
    -Hong Kong Disneyland Resort (Mystic Point, Grizzly Gulch, Toy Story Land)
    -Tokyo Disney Resort (Fantasmic, Toy Story Mania, Cinderella's Fairy Tale Hall, Jasmine's Flying Carpet)

But Disneyland Paris won't have one. And we all know that the Walt Disney Studios Park isn't a nice park and that Disneyland Paris has financial problems : Disneyland Paris hasn't enough money to keep its attractions safe (Big Thunder Mountain, Bateau du Capitaine Crochet,...) and really needs help.

So, I wonder why The Walt Disney Company seems to forget Disneyland Paris.
    Last edited by Mrs Pot; 04-25-2011 at 11:43 AM.

• De la Terre ā la Luke

Re: Does The Walt Disney Company forget Disneyland Paris?

I would love for The Walt Disney Company to take a bit more interest in the resort. Whenever TWDC holds events (such as D23), DLP is rarely mentioned, and if it is it's for a split second. It's almost as if they want to slowly distance themselves from the resort completely. Such a shame.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Pot View Post
    Every Disney Resort will have a major expansion plan :
    -Disneyland Resort (Disney California Adventure)
    -Walt Disney World Resort (Fantasyland)
    -Hong Kong Disneyland Resort (Mystic Point, Grizzly Gulch, Toy Story Land)
    -Tokyo Disney Resort (Fantasmic, Toy Story Mania, Cinderella's Fairy Tale Hall, Jasmine's Flying Carpet)

But Disneyland Paris won't have one. And we all know that the Walt Disney Studios Park isn't a nice park and that Disneyland Paris has financial problems : Disneyland Paris hasn't enough money to keep its attractions safe (Big Thunder Mountain, Bateau du Capitaine Crochet,...) and really needs help.

So, I wonder why The Walt Disney Company seems to forget Disneyland Paris.
    You are absolutely right. It all comes down to money. DLP doesn't make a lot of money so they don't want to spend a lot of money. But they forget that it sometimes takes a big bold project to bring the guest back. DCA was dead in the water until they started adding big new attractions and shows. Disneyland Paris needs a big new ride or two to jumpstart attendance.

But with the current debt load of the park, that may just be wishful thinking.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    You are absolutely right. It all comes down to money. DLP doesn't make a lot of money so they don't want to spend a lot of money. But they forget that it sometimes takes a big bold project to bring the guest back. DCA was dead in the water until they started adding big new attractions and shows. Disneyland Paris needs a big new ride or two to jumpstart attendance.

But with the current debt load of the park, that may just be wishful thinking.
    If I was Bob Iger I wouldn't greenlight any investment into DLP until it has new a new management who won't make hundreds of millions of dollars of losses for me over just a few years. Once grinning Gas is out the door (which is inevitable given DLP's history) then maybe things will improve if his replacement is any better - that shouldn't be too difficult given how much money has been lost recently

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Good thread, OP! Keep the fire under them.

• Minion

Would it have anything to do with the rumor that France really is not big to buy into those things relating to American culture? This has been a rumor (or maybe more of a question), I know, from the time it was decided to place EuroDisneyland in Paris, not Spain (or elsewhere in Europe). Is this why the park is struggling and hence the lack of interest in upgrading of the park because of it? Just curious.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    Would it have anything to do with the rumor that France really is not big to buy into those things relating to American culture? This has been a rumor (or maybe more of a question), I know, from the time it was decided to place EuroDisneyland in Paris, not Spain (or elsewhere in Europe). Is this why the park is struggling and hence the lack of interest in upgrading of the park because of it? Just curious.
    Not exactly. Disneyland Paris (the park) has met or exceeded its attendance goals from day 1. It is routinely the 4th most visited theme park in the world (after Disney's Anaheim, Orlando, and Tokyo parks). The largest demographic of its visitors are the French themselves.

However, the French (and others DLP visitors) have never gone to the park with the same ravenous spending/consumerist patterns that Disney had come to expect from its American and Japanese audience. So the park, which was ridiculously expensive for a number of reasons (quality of design, labor union demands, inflation, etc.) has always been saddled by massive debt/interest and never had the profit margins (via merchandise and food) that the American and Japanese parks have enjoyed.

It's a real problem. There's nothing Disney can do to really change the spending habits of Europeans... they're simply not as profligate as we are. So DLP cuts costs & limits investment as much as possible... which will only reduce the future appeal of the park. Even in years where DLP does turn a profit, it is not a big one (measured in tens of millions)... and all the while it has 2 billion dollars in debt to pay back with annual accumulating interest that likely exceeds gross profits in good years... a pretty ugly scenario to be in.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 04-25-2011 at 07:50 PM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

French regulations, the contracts with the French government and the organization of Euro Disney SCA, an SCA being a specific type of French corporation, all play a part as well. The Walt Disney Company cannot just pump money into the Resort the way they can with the Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World. Hong Kong Disneyland has a good chunk of its expansion (about half I believe) being paid for by its other owner, the Hong Kong Government, who wants to generate more interest in what may be a small park but still a substantial tax payer funded investment once you include the reclamation and transit. Tokyo Disney Resort is owned, operated and funded by the Oriental Land Company, who are only allowed to hire Walt Disney Imagineering. While Disney would like you to view them all as DisneyParksŪ, each resort really must be looked at through the lens of its own unique ownership and operational circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    Interest in Disneyland itself has never really been an issue. The excess number of hotel rooms was the first issue, then the second hit came with Walt Disney Studios Park which was contractually obliged to open.

I Personally think that TWDC is not forgetting Disneyland Paris, but they are not able to give any openly support in the current business organisation EuroDisney has.

TWDC has to be renegotiating all terms of every debt agreement there is for EuroDisney. The business model chosen for Paris is wonderfull if everything goes well and will maximize profit for TWDC and would give Euro Disney enough investment potential. However, because the opposite is the matter of fact today, it minimizes the profit and leaves no investment potential for EuroDisney. Restructuring is the only solution.

Maybe it is possible for TWDC to re-invent the draconic solution that was made up for Space Mountain in Paris. Actually Space Mountain is not a Disneyland Paris attraction but is owned fully by Walt Disney Imagineering and is also payed for by WDI. DLRP leases SM from WDI. Nevertheless, these kind of solutions will give DLRP an unlawfull competitor advantage to other parks. Plus debtholders will be upset necause they are left with the debt which ED is still not able to pay.

Thnx to Mr. Eisner and the succes op Tokyo, Paris does have problems for almost 20 years in a row. it is not about forgetting but about not being able to help.

• Not here to help

I find it strange to see new themes, shows, banners campaigns and crap everyear. That has to cost and none of it is anygood. ...actually itīs VERY bad. But it still costs. Revise the marketing strategy.

I wonder how much the resort could make in five years if they sold unlimited fastpasses with the tickets for about 20-25 euros extra. If 3-5 million person bought the unlimited fastpass ticket it could make a difference. 5 millions times 20 is a 100 millions. In five years that is 500 millions. Perhaps enough to build a new proper ride after five years. That and cutting all pointless shows has to make enough money to build something that can drw the big crowds in a long term. More people would visit if they hyped a new ride for a year or three insted of stupid Dance Expresses year in and out. I also wonder if there is any real proof that these stupid shows that only a handfull of WDS fans seme to like in forums make any difference at all. "This year we are going to DLP and see that new Dance Express train"... not likelly.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 04-26-2011 at 03:14 AM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    I find it strange to see new themes, shows, banners campaigns and crap everyear. That has to cost and none of it is anygood. ...actually itīs VERY bad. But it still costs. Revise the marketing strategy.
    I completely agree and I can confirm from personal experience that the EDL comms outfit leaves a lot ot be desired

This is not about how awfull Euro Disney SCA management is. This is about TWDC forgetting Disneyland Paris. And bad management has notting to do with this. If I have to believe these boards WDW is run by completely incompetend management and they do get Fantasyland after all.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Disneyland Paris is actually the top-visited site in all of Europe...

It's lost the company a lot of money in the past, but it must be doing financially better than it used to if it is visited so often...

• Minion

ORGOCH: Well, us Cauldron gals sure knows what it's like ta be fergotten by the Dizzy Comp'ny! Just cause The Black Cauldron ain't a mega hit--like The Little Metermaid er Scary Floppins er Snow Ball an' the 7 Flakes--we git over-looked an' treated like yesterdays' TRASH! Now, I can understand why they'd wanna' treat my two looney sisters like that. But that don't mean I deserves ta be treated like as if I never lived!! I'm 'bout fed up with the whole shoobang! I'm mad as @#%^ an' I ain't gonna' take it no more!!!

ORWEN: Anybody got a violin???

ORDDU: Oh, how much I wanted to be the first to ask that, dear. Still, I'm just so glad SOMEbody did!!

• Dutch Dreamer

First of all, last year Disneyland Paris opend "Toy Story Playland".... while most people think of this part of the park as "hidious" and "not disney quality", it's actually a pretty good expansion, and most kids love it.
    I personally like the overall theming, and it's actually a fun part of the park.

They are currently undergoing massive refurbishments around both parks (to be ready for the 20th anniversary next year, that will most likely run for two years again).
    Unfortunately, the big refurbisment of BTM came a week too late, and the accident occured on C-lift.
    (the last refurb of BTW two years ago was mainly just repainting and "fixing" broken minor effects).

And as we speak, a major new dark ride is being built (ground work has just completed) between toy story playland and Toon Studios to go along with (probably the second year of) the 20th birthday of the resort.

Just because you don't read about it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    2005 - Space Mountain Mission 2
    2006 - Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast
    2007 - Toon Studios
    2007 - Tower of Terror (officialy 2008)
    2009 - a new parade
    2010 - Toy Story Playland
    2011 - several new shows
    2012/2013 - new dark ride for studios (probably Rattatoille, since that has been all but officialy confirmed and allready in it's construction fase)

That excludes all the rehabs currently going on.
    And it can be assumed that some major updates will be made for the 20th birthday like Star Tours II and finally the addition of Jack Sparrow in PotC.

And not to mention the Disney Village expansion currently well underway.

So what exactly do you mean by: "Does The Walt Disney Company forget Disneyland Paris?"
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast