Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Captain Jack Sparrow Audio Animatronic Coming to DLRP

According to Alain Littaye and his Disney & More Blog, Jack Sparrow will be added to POTC for the 20th birthday.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/20...coming-at.html

Let's come now to the other big news of this POTC update: Jack Sparrow audio-Animatronics will be installed next year at DLP Pirates of Caribbean, and this will include the Barbossa AA in the Pirate ship AND the "ghostly waterfall" projection effect, just like at DL and WDW.

I told you before that new effects were envisioned inside Phantom Manor and Big Thunder Mountain but for now - and unfortunately - these are on hold. In terms of enhancements on classic attractions, only POTC is sure for the 20th. No decision has been taken yet on Star Tours 2 for DLP - which doesn't mean that it won't happen as they still have time to change their mind.

So, where will they put the Jack Sparrow AA inside DLP POTC? According to my good sources Tom Fitzgerald apparently decided that the AAs will be placed at the same scenes that you can see them at DL or WDW. Which means that in 12 months from now Disneyland Paris fans will be able to salute Captain Jack Sparrow near the "mayor in the well" scene, hiding behind the clothes...

Re: Captain Jack Sparrow Audio Animatronic Coming to DLRP

It's not official for the moment but in Disneyland Paris nothing is official before it opens. So thank you Mr Littaye to share this piece of information.
    Last edited by Mrs Pot; 05-07-2011 at 04:08 AM.

If this is true, Im very annoyed because we have lost a classic attraction without the Jack sparrow AA's >.>
    Here come's the bride.
    As long as we live.
    Till death do us part.
    You may kiss the bride.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

With the poor maintenance that has hurt this attraction over the years. I would no longer call it a classic attraction. And personally anything thats going to revive POTC is needed. I only hope Euro Disney won't go cheap and add the AA's with out fully upgrading and fixing this attraction so its back to its former glory. That for me would be well worth a trip out to Paris for the 20th.

I told you before that new effects were envisioned inside Phantom Manor and Big Thunder Mountain but for now - and unfortunately - these are on hold. In terms of enhancements on classic attractions, only POTC is sure for the 20th.
    With the mess made to Space Mountain that has to be considered a good thing doesn't it. At least we know the POTC Jack Sparrow changes actually work and don't hurt the attraction.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Noooo!!!

• i heart plunging v-necks

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    Noooo!!!
    This.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

Maybe I'm the only one, but I really enjoyed seeing Jack Sparrow and Barbossa in POTC in the MK. So I don't mind that he will be added. POTC is my favorite Disney attraction and everytime we have been to DLRP, POTC was a walk on attraction. That wonderful ride deserves more attention and if Jack helps to attract more guests, they should add the new characters.

We have to admit that the POTC movies are very popular and most people will miss the new characters when on the ride. But it annoys me so much that there are people who don't know that the movies are based on that fantastic ride. And not the other way.

As I've already said, I'm happy that Jack and Barbossa will be added, but I would also be very glad if DLRP would keep the original. Nevertheless it will still be my favorite Disney attraction.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    With the mess made to Space Mountain that has to be considered a good thing doesn't it. At least we know the POTC Jack Sparrow changes actually work and don't hurt the attraction.
    I beg to differ.

• Dreamer

Yo-ho, Yo-ho, there goes a classic ride.

I'd rather they'd built an improved version of the Indiana Jones Adventure to give Adventureland that oomph it needs.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

I would rather not have them there, I think it ruined the original in California, and was ok in Fla, but only because WDW's is a joke. But ours is the best version.

And James, they just refurbed PotC, and it is almost like new already. I was disapointed the swinging man was still, and the hairy legged one was missing, but everything else was perfect (including having the duel back) and the projectors, cannon ball shots and sound were like new! You are critiquing based on what was, rather than what is.

However, PM and Big Thunder need help, big style.

But your point is valid. DLP does not maintain what they have. A new state of the art AA would be great, but it will only be that way for a short time as DLP are so poor when it comes to ops. Europa Park is the best maintained park in Europe, shame we can't get them to run it.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

I dunno Im on the fence about this one. I could see it as a good idea, if they place him right and use a good state of the art AA.. but then again its DLP.. but you never know, seems like they might be starting to try to turn around. It would be a bad idea if they try to make Jack a big huge part of they ride, they dont need to make him the so called "front man" for the ride. They should try to fit him in some place where it may be a little difficult to see him at first.

I think it would be better to find a spot for him at the end and maybe he is trying to hide, that might also get the effect of maybe the ride was here first. It annoys me too that people would start to think the movies come first.. hope that dosent happen with the younger generation.

• Membre

I'm not too happy. I saw the Sparrow addition at Tokyo Disneyland, and it seemed useless to me.
    Let this classic attraction as it is!!!

• Geek

So the American Parks get Blackbeard in the waterfall before we even get Davy Jones probably. Why bother!!

This is not good news, I love the films but at least one of the rides should remain the way Walt wanted it.

I'll have to ride it LOTS in August and video it to remember it the way it should be.

• Minion

^ I agree, Sgt.

I really like all the films, but I'd like at least one PotC to remain true to the pre-film attraction, particularly since Paris' version has never been politically-corrected, to my knowledge (the drunk pirate is still offering a share in the women).

But if these film additions are to be made I have a few specific criticisms of how the "enhancement" was executed at DL, MK and TDL (which, unfortunately, will be the exact same at DLP according to the report):

1. The original pirate AAs are all slightly stylized, exaggerated caricatures of human beings. The Sparrow AA, on the other hand, is an extremely accurate recreation of a human being - so there is a little bit of discordance there.

2. Plot vs Experience. The fact that Depp appears in 3 different spots takes the ride out of a real-time experience and compresses it into a linear, movie-like story (Sparrow is hiding, Sparrow sees map, Sparrow finds treasure). I think the original way was better (experience). The way to fix this would be to have Sparrow only appear once and not create a story around him.

3. "Where be Capn' Jack Sparrow" This phrase is repeated ad nauseum in the new soundtrack. Needs to be reduced a bit. And why would the Spanish mayor/colonialist be hiding a Pirate ("I will not tell.")?

4. Happy Ending - Jack finds treasure. Apparently the lesson is: be a pirate and get rich. I think the more foreboding ending that Paris currently has is more appropriate.

Again, would rather see this budget put to bringing back the countless details, effects and entertainment that DLP opened with that have since gone dark.

• Disney Down Under

Australia - 7458 Miles Away From Disneyland :(

The one at Disneyland when I first saw it, not knowing about it's changes between the last time I went before the movies were out, I thought it was actually an actor not an AA, so yes its a good AA, but not here as previously states the ultra realistic Jack doesnt fit the rides theme,

and we dont need any more younglings thinking its a ride based from the movies not vie-versa!
    -Luke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast