• Minion

My Re-Invention of WDSP

Had some fun seeing what could be done to fix WDSP if money were not an option. My solution was to transform it from a Studios themed park to a more teen- and adult-oriented adventure park (e.g., Disney's IOA).

Again, Micehat limits the size of images so bigger versions and other details can be found on my blog.

• Minion

Re: My Re-Invention of WDSP

^^^ Interesting ideas as always, Randy.

What bothers me most about WDS is the terrible layout. I wish the powers that be would recognize the need for a more intuitive layout and come up with a long term vision of what that should be - with lands around a central lake, as in your layout, or some variant of the hub-and-spoke. Then even if new attractions / lands got built over many years, they could still adhere to a basic positional arrangement to create a pleasing final result. Right now new attractions like TOT or Toyland or Ratatouille seem to be plopped down anywhere there's some space, rather than with thought to sightlines or a guiding philosophy of park geography.
    Down with the Hat

• Hitchhiker

Thank you! There are fun ideas on your layout.

I'd make one viewpoint change. You made the Section A (current studios) Hollywood, but why not let it be the Studios. My idea is that the guest is an actor/producer/writer/animator/who ever famous star one wants to be at the Studios. IT is the place where magic is created. There is no need for tram or theatre square. Then you exit the Studios to live the magic outside. That is the area you've imagineered.

The place you put Marvel Universe could be "the Golden Age of Hollywood", the nostalgic '30 Jazz Dreamland with Rogger Rabbitish elements. At the one end could be a real four star Hollywood hotel.

Next to "Golden Hollywood" I'd put a Duckburg, because Disney comics are a big thing in Europe.

Otherwise wonderful ideas.
    Last edited by Zarniwoop; 06-06-2011 at 02:16 AM.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Hitchhiker

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    My idea is that the guest is an actor/producer/writer/animator/who ever famous star one wants to be at the Studios.
    Each ticket should have a rfid tag that records your status, either an actor/actress, producer, etc. Staying at the deluxe hotels gives you automatically famous star status, which opens doors (works like vip fastpass), but also you can gain status by visiting many attractions or joining performances/live shows. The stuff might also promote you next level. There could be many levels, and each makes your stay at the park different.

The park could interact with the rfid tag so that Cast Member greets you by your status (annual pass holders at the gate), you might get discounts, vip doors open, preferred language, attraction interact with you differently...

This way the whole park could work like an interactive role play game, where your virtual status lives and you become "a celebrity".
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    What bothers me most about WDS is the terrible layout. I wish the powers that be would recognize the need for a more intuitive layout and come up with a long term vision of what that should be - with lands around a central lake, as in your layout, or some variant of the hub-and-spoke. Then even if new attractions / lands got built over many years, they could still adhere to a basic positional arrangement to create a pleasing final result. Right now new attractions like TOT or Toyland or Ratatouille seem to be plopped down anywhere there's some space, rather than with thought to sightlines or a guiding philosophy of park geography.
    Agree completely. Whether building a $300 million (MGM, WDSP) or $3 billion park (TDS), there ought to be an efficient, expansion-friendly layout with long-term (30 year) build out in mind. Animal Kingdom and HKDL didn't open with much, but at least their masterplans allow for intuitive, sensible expansion (although HKDL opted not to move its train tracks to the outer-berm, which was originally supposed to be part of its expansion process).

Interestingly, Disney's three cheapest parks at opening (DCA, WDSP, MGM), are all the ones with non-intuitive layouts. There must be a connection there... perhaps to disguise the fact that there are major holes to be filled.

Each ticket should have a rfid tag that records your status, either an actor/actress, producer, etc. Staying at the deluxe hotels gives you automatically famous star status, which opens doors (works like vip fastpass), but also you can gain status by visiting many attractions or joining performances/live shows. The stuff might also promote you next level. There could be many levels, and each makes your stay at the park different.
    Interesting ideas. I like the idea of visitors having the option of treating an entire theme park as an interactive adventure experience/scavenger hunt (wasn't Potterland rumored to have this at one point). I don't personally care for EPCOT's KimPossible, because I don't like toonification very much, but I like the concept behind it. For such an idea work, a park has to be rife with little details and special effects. I read rumors that this concept is in the works at Disney as part of its NextGen program.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Agree completely. Whether building a $300 million (MGM, WDSP) or $3 billion park (TDS), there ought to be an efficient, expansion-friendly layout with long-term (30 year) build out in mind. Animal Kingdom and HKDL didn't open with much, but at least their masterplans allow for intuitive, sensible expansion (although HKDL opted not to move its train tracks to the outer-berm, which was originally supposed to be part of its expansion process).

Interestingly, Disney's three cheapest parks at opening (DCA, WDSP, MGM), are all the ones with non-intuitive layouts. There must be a connection there... perhaps to disguise the fact that there are major holes to be filled.
    While I agree that both Disney-MGM and WDS were built without a plan for intuitive expansion...I wish so much that the WDS of 2001 had been closer to the 1989 DMGMS in appearance, and that it had the latter's clarity of purpose. The latter although pretty small was still beautifully themed and had a clear vision of what it was - half fantasy Hollywood, half real life studio (the failure of the real life studio contributed significantly to the unintuitive layout that would follow). I wish Disney had taken 1989's MGM, left out the real studio part, and used the remainder as a template for 2001's WDS. They could probably have built that much at least with their shoestring budget...and it would not have had the ugliness of what did get built in 2001.
    Down with the Hat