Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Minion

The Return of Nathan Detroit

Hello.

Remember me?

I constantly haunted these boards for years back in the day. And then personal circumstances meant that I disappeared.

Well, I'm back.

And the reason I am back is that plans are afoot for the Detroit family to make a return trip to DLP - their first since August 2007.

So, what's happened since then? What's worth doing? What state is the resort in now?

Also, we are planning on going mid-September (after vowing never to go in high season again after the last time!). How will the crowds be? How will the Parisian weather treat us?

And a special question from NDJnr - where (if anywhere) in the resort is wi-fi available?

Come on people - get me back up to speed!

Thanks

ND
    Last edited by nathan detroit; 06-06-2011 at 01:23 PM.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: The Return of Nathan Detroit

Can't help you when it comes to info about DLP, but it's good to see a friendly face back on MiceChat.

That's what haapened since 2007 at DLRP:

DLP: No new attractions.

Currently there are a lot of refurbishments going on in the park. The most prominent is definately the refurb of the castle. Disney is also refurbing the Fantasyland floor, several buildings on Main Street USA, Clonel Hathi's Pizza Outpost, the Old Mill and Orbitron. In addition they are replacing Captain Hooks Pirate Ship. Recently they have repainted BTM, which was closed due to an accident.

WDS: ToT, Crush's Coaster, Cars Race Rally and TSPL opened.

DV and Hotels: Earl of Sandwich opened a few days ago and a World of Disney Store is currently under construction. A Starbucks opened in 2009.

Disney is also refurbishing the hotels. At the moment Sequoia Lodge and the Hotel Santa Fe are refurbished.

This year's theme of the resort is "Magical Moments Festival". That's nothing special. Just another incarnation of the Character Train, a new show on the Central Plaza stage and a lot of meet and greets throughout the resort.

We have been to DLRP in mid-September 2008. The weather was fine and crowds were okay, too. It was still warm and sunny.

Where do you plan to stay? I don't know if the Disney hotels offer Wi-fi, but I think Starbucks does. Maybe someone else can help you with that.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Welcome back Nathan Detroit. Your contributions have been greatly missed.

To answer your question has anything changed. You probarely have worked out from the response given that nothing has changed since 2007. We are still waiting for Ratatouille to be confirmed. And the parks continue to fall apart thanks to years of neglect.

If your visiting in mid September be ready for 6:00 pm closing times at both parks now.

• Not here to help

Some new paint here and there but still nothing in Disneyland Paris to be happy about at all. The new shows are really bad. Bad + bad = even worse.
    WDS has Toy Story Playland and that makes the park ...even worse than before.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Can't help you when it comes to info about DLP, but it's good to see a friendly face back on MiceChat.
    Thank you Babs - you make me blush!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
    That's what haapened since 2007 at DLRP:

DLP: No new attractions.

Currently there are a lot of refurbishments going on in the park. The most prominent is definately the refurb of the castle. Disney is also refurbing the Fantasyland floor, several buildings on Main Street USA, Clonel Hathi's Pizza Outpost, the Old Mill and Orbitron. In addition they are replacing Captain Hooks Pirate Ship. Recently they have repainted BTM, which was closed due to an accident.

WDS: ToT, Crush's Coaster, Cars Race Rally and TSPL opened.

DV and Hotels: Earl of Sandwich opened a few days ago and a World of Disney Store is currently under construction. A Starbucks opened in 2009.

Disney is also refurbishing the hotels. At the moment Sequoia Lodge and the Hotel Santa Fe are refurbished.

This year's theme of the resort is "Magical Moments Festival". That's nothing special. Just another incarnation of the Character Train, a new show on the Central Plaza stage and a lot of meet and greets throughout the resort.

We have been to DLRP in mid-September 2008. The weather was fine and crowds were okay, too. It was still warm and sunny.

Where do you plan to stay? I don't know if the Disney hotels offer Wi-fi, but I think Starbucks does. Maybe someone else can help you with that.
    Crush and Cars were ther when I last visited. I would like to think that the intervening four years have calmed the crazily long queues for both though.

I have seen in several place that there has been some refurbs, notably the Labyrinth which was a disgrace in 2007. However, it would have taken a miracle (or at least decent management) to address all of the issues with maintainance that I noted back then. When will Hooks Ship be replaced?

We will be staying at the Sequoia as usual - glad to hear its been refurbed.

Mrs detroit will welcome the news of a Starbucks after all of the disgusting coffee she has drank over the years at DLP!

As fans of the rubberheads, we welcome the news of added meet&greets (Woody's Roundup was being built when were last there).
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Welcome back Nathan Detroit. Your contributions have been greatly missed.

To answer your question has anything changed. You probarely have worked out from the response given that nothing has changed since 2007. We are still waiting for Ratatouille to be confirmed. And the parks continue to fall apart thanks to years of neglect.

If your visiting in mid September be ready for 6:00 pm closing times at both parks now.
    It is very nice to see you are still here Malin. So many of the old guard seem to have disappeared!

Our terrible experiences in high season last time (heat, massive crowds and loads of Spaniards), has meant that I am happy to put up with early closings as well as missing the fireworks, Fantillusion and even The Tarzan Encounter. i am however disappointed that we will not be able to see and ride ToT in all its night-time glory!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Some new paint here and there but still nothing in Disneyland Paris to be happy about at all. The new shows are really bad. Bad + bad = even worse.
    WDS has Toy Story Playland and that makes the park ...even worse than before.
    Well thank you for that most wonderful summation of the state of DLP. One would think that you were trying to put me off going.

I know DLP is a shambles. I know that maintainace is poor. I know that apart from ToT, there is nothing new there except carny rides and rehashes (and Stitch Live which intrigues me). However, its still a wonderful place to go and I for one am glad we have somewhere like it so close. After an absense of four years, I yearn to return (something someone as informed as yourself must do frequently).

It may be tatty and mismanaged, but I love it.... and it's still better than Legoland!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

When will Hooks Ship be replaced?
    The ship is already under scaffolding, but I'm not sure if it is finished in September, because they are building it from scratch.

We will be staying at the Sequoia as usual - glad to hear its been refurbed.
    I think the smaller Lodges are already refurbed and now the main building is under scaffolding. The best would be to call Disney if you want a refurbished room. According to the DLP website, the rooms in the lodges are currently more expensive than the ones in the main building.

Mrs detroit will welcome the news of a Starbucks after all of the disgusting coffee she has drank over the years at DLP!
    DLP also changed the coffee brand inside the parks. Nescafe isn't a sponsor anymore. ED SCA switched to Segafredo.

As fans of the rubberheads, we welcome the news of added meet&greets (Woody's Roundup was being built when were last there).
    Then you will be happy. There are some in DLP and WDS.

• Senior Minion

I think the smaller Lodges are already refurbed and now the main building is under scaffolding. The best would be to call Disney if you want a refurbished room. According to the DLP website, the rooms in the lodges are currently more expensive than the ones in the main building.
    I saw this. We always pay a little extra and get a Montana room. This ensures that we are always in the main building and not too high up floor-wise. However, the brochure now describes Montana rooms as being newly refurbed and in the outlying lodges. Or what any other hotel would describe as an annex. I will probably still go Montana on this trip if it means getting a newly refurbed room.

I am slightly disappointed to hear about all of the scaffolding that may be up when we go. Hooks Ship. The hotel. The castle (possibly). Still, if it means improvements I welcome it. I am just surprised that both the castle and the ship are getting refurbed during the summer high season... probably this is to take the weather into consideration?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

The scaffolding of the castle is already gone, except for the back. When you go the refurbishment should be completed. According to an meeting between DLP-I and some European Disney fansite webmasters the refurb of the castle lasts until August. I think the same goes for the buildings on Main Street, Colonel Hathi's, the Old Mill and Orbitron.

Maybe the scaffolding of Sequoia Lodge will also be gone in September since they work already quite some time on the outside. It will not be needed when the interior is done.

The big change. WDS is now for a first timer, a One Day Park.
    Ok, it's still not a great Park but now, people are likely to switch from a 1-2 days trip to 2-3 days and more.

So on-site and off-site hotels, even from september to April, are well occupied.

Toy Story playland is like "A bug's land". A well themed Area for Disneyland's Veterans, a nice place for 7-12 kids.

Now, Ratatouille is confirmed. And a 500M euros plan is coming for an expansion of WDS.
    On the side, DV will grow up with a new alley, a World of Disney, an hotel with a congress center between Newport and the DV. And "the villages natures" at the Ranch Davy Crockett.
    There are discussions for a "Cirque du Soleil" Show too.

For the refurbishments, that's right, the weather came first for the decision and also, everything has to be done for the 20th anniversary.

Congress Center & Plans :
    Centre des Congrès [Projet: 201X] : Disney Village (DV) et Val d'Europe (VdE) - Disney Gazette

Villages Nature :
    Les Villages Nature [Projet: horizon 2015] : Disney Village (DV) et Val d'Europe (VdE) - Disney Gazette

Cirque du Soleil :
    http://www.dlrptoday.com/2011/02/10/...it-seasonally/
    Last edited by Panpan; 06-08-2011 at 12:35 PM.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Well thank you for that most wonderful summation of the state of DLP. One would think that you were trying to put me off going.

I know DLP is a shambles. I know that maintainace is poor. I know that apart from ToT, there is nothing new there except carny rides and rehashes (and Stitch Live which intrigues me). However, its still a wonderful place to go and I for one am glad we have somewhere like it so close. After an absense of four years, I yearn to return (something someone as informed as yourself must do frequently).

It may be tatty and mismanaged, but I love it.... and it's still better than Legoland!
    No, go! I just came back from MK... I have to say even if it is bad in many ways DLP is still in many other ways awesome.

"Toy Story playland is like "A bug's land". A well themed Area for Disneyland's Veterans, a nice place for 7-12 kids." It´s barely themed...
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Five-Legged Goat

When I was at DLRP last autumn, the only place that had free wifi was the McDonald's in Disney Village. We ate several breakfasts and dinners there, and took full advantage of the wifi service. The signal is strong enough that you don't need to actually be inside the restaurant to pick it up.

I think the nicer resort hotels (Disneyland Hotel, Hotel New York, etc.) have pay-per-use wifi. All the hotels have pay-per-use wired (ethernet) internet access, but it's not necessarily efficient or easy to use -- we spent about an hour unsuccessfully trying to purchase a hook-up at the Hotel Santa Fe. You're supposed to do it through a menu on the TV, but the menu options kept showing the name of the room's previous occupants, and no one at the front desk could figure out how to switch it to us so that we could be properly charged. (Actually, most of the CMs at the Hotel Santa Fe seemed pretty clueless about basic information -- only one person working in the gift shop had any idea that you were supposed to purchase laundry tokens and detergent there.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast