Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Wink First time at other parks besides Anaheim's...my musings.

So, I am a Southern California native, and the only Disney parks that I had experienced before this trip were the original Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. Taking a trip to see my family in Europe, including an aunt and cousins living in Paris, I told them that I had to see Disneyland Paris (they had weaseled out of it the last time, and I wasn't going to let that happen again-and in fact, they tried).

That part of my family has never really understood my love of Disney and its theme parks. Every time they come to visit me at home, they want to go to any theme park other than Disney's...which I could never understand. Universal hardly has any rides (as it is a working movie studio and has limited room to expand), yet every year they come they want to get an Annual Pass to use for the month they spend with us. My cousins want to go to Six Flags, which is the most uncomfortable theme park to trek through in the sweltering August heat (and, not to mention, has very limited themeing). We did Knott's Berry Farm many years ago, but we had such a bad time that they never wanted to go back.

Anyhow, my oldest of my two male cousins was good to us and paid for our Disneyland Paris tickets (my mother's, my boyfriend's, and mine). He found a special deal to pre-order the tickets for June 6th, a Monday. Rock n' Roller Coaster would be closed, which I was bummed about, but the previous weekend would be a holiday weekend and my cousin felt that the crowds would be too terrible, so I agreed to it. At least we could go before Space Mountain would go down for its refurb (boy, would I regret that later...).

I wanted to go to the park at opening, but the Parisians took longer than anticipated (I had to wake some of them up) and we made it to the parks at 11:45 am.

Since my cousin talked about how they had tried to get on Crush's Coaster several times already and that it always broke down while they were in line, I felt it was best if we went to the Studio Park and tried to do that first. The projected time outside stated 45 minutes, but we got on in about 25-30 instead (wonder why there is such a discrepancy?). Anyhow, the ride was fantastic! I had never been on such a unique ride system before. Part dark ride and part coaster, I found it pretty cool, and the ride was nice and smooth. We all came off with smiles on our faces.

My older cousin seemed to want to ride Tower of Terror. It wasn't a priority on my list, as I knew theirs was essentially the same as DCA's (and the ride kinda freaks me out), but I wanted him to have a good time and we went (while my mother and aunt stayed outside and did some shopping). The queue inside felt bigger and perhaps a bit more detailed, but I could be completely off on that one since I don't ride it in Anaheim very much. They did seem to have a higher capacity.

After that, we went over to the main park. We knew that lines were very short, so we at least wouldn't have to wait very long for anything (but we were still somewhat stressed for time, as we needed to physically make it over to other attractions). The queue area to purchase tickets, through Main Street and up to the castle looked fabulous. I was impressed at how neat and clean everything looked, and it was nice to have that extra space. Main Street was bigger, but it looked to me as though it was only the sidewalks that were bigger than home.

The first land we went to was Discoveryland, as Space Mountain seemed like the next best thing to do. I admired the Jules Verne look - much better in its delivery here than the one back at home. Unfortunately, this was where my trip went sour. I have never been on such a violent ride in my life...my head was a ping-pong ball between the padding on the sides and back of my head. As hard as I tried, I couldn't find a comfortable position and I did not have the strength to push against the forces throwing me around. I had a massive headache and felt somewhat sick after leaving that ride - I have vowed never to get back on that thing again.

My family chose this to be the time that we ate lunch, and my cousin headed straight for a "quick-service" location in Discoveryland that had burgers. I gently mentioned to everyone while in line (which moved at a snail's pace) that I had been warned here on MiceChat to avoid Discoveryland eateries like the plague, but my family insisted that all the quick-service locations were the same. While in line, my mother couldn't take it anymore - she was still so sick from Space Mountain, she couldn't stand the smell in there or the thought of eating anything. And honestly, I should have left with her (and maybe found something else to eat on my own). I have never gotten sick from a chicken sandwich until that day. If I thought I was sick before eating, I definitely was after that meal. Quite awful. No one was happy with their food.

I suggested to see Nautilus next. The themeing was very nice here, and I think that if DLP had done well in the beginning, that attraction would have been an amazing submarine ride. The giant squid effect was, of course, my favorite thing here. After that, we went to Star Tours. We haven't experienced the updated version yet (doing it this weekend!). My boyfriend and I wanted one last attempted trip to the moon of Endor. While I mostly disliked hearing French voices throughout the park for certain characters, I thought the robots were super cute speaking in French. And it was nice to hear that it was still Anthony Daniels voicing 3PO in French.

We left Discoveryland and we headed towards the castle. My cousin insisted that the dragon section was closed, to which I told him he was a liar (and I was relieved to see that he was). The castle was stunning - even with the scaffolding around certain areas, I still loved it. Maleficent did not disappoint - I was astounded at how close she was. I knew she would be magnificent, but words still cannot describe being there in person.

After that, we went to Adventureland. I really admired the look of this area - while Anaheim has more of a Polynesian theme, here I was reminded more of a jungle in India. I was thrilled to see and hear bits from The Jungle Book - they actually had Bagheera and Kaa merchandise! I only wish I could have seen a baby elephant plushie We went on Indiana Jones, which essentially gave me the same discomfort as Space Mountain, albeit a little less extreme. Walking around, I began to notice the stench of sewage...now, it's not like I didn't smell those same smells around other parts of Paris, but I had expected that Disney would have built a cleaner/more updated sewage system so that guests would not have to smell pee and diarrhea so much. Gross. I did my best to overlook the amount of graffiti that was there, and the rotting of so many things around the park...but combine that with nasty smells everywhere, and you have one unhappy Disneylander.

Pirates of the Caribbean was interesting. I did not like the fact that it was backwards and the look of the AA's (I felt they were too plasticine), but the area outside, the queue, and the lush environments at the beginning of the attraction were amazing.

We headed to Frontierland as our day was steadily coming to an end. We got in line for Big Thunder, which was projected at 45 minutes (and true I would say). It was the only long line in the park. I enjoyed this version very much-similar to the one back at home, but with more room and an island, it was pretty cool. After that, we went to Phantom Manor...I don't know what it was, but most of the staging (I felt this a lot in Pirates actually, too) was too close for me. I felt like the reveal of the Phantom could have been grander, and the corpses just did not do it for me. But the storyline was very interesting.

Finally, we rushed through Alice's Curious Labyrinth...which was okay. I guess I had hoped it would have been thicker and more green, but I realize that it was built with children in mind so it makes sense I guess.

We spent the rest of the time we had in the shops, which had some nice items. I don't know why people here have said that their merchandise is essentially the same as in the US - I don't think I saw anything that I actually recognized. I didn't get much, but I got a tank top that has a Paris skyline with several Paris monuments (which includes Sleeping Beauty Castle) and a Nala plushie (it is specific to overseas parks and is SUPER cute!). My mom grabbed a cookie on Main Street and that was quite awful. The park closed at 7 pm, which I thought was really way too early. The park wasn't tremendously crowded, but I had read that it would close at 9 pm...so naturally I was kinda disappointed. I wasn't tremendously fond of the park at that point, but it just wasn't enough time.

My family hopped on the train back home while my boyfriend and I stayed a bit longer and went to Disney Village. We were going to eat at Earl of Sandwich, but when we got to the register (and by the way, everyone from the parks had piled into the Village so it was very crowded) the cashier didn't seem to figure out how to take my boyfriend's Mastercard or my Visa (um...what?). We were pretty upset. I mean, what chain (and we knew it was a chain) does not take Visa or Mastercard? We think she just didn't keep her cool when she had an issue with the card reader and was too lazy to get someone to help her. Needless to say, we were disappointed, and we wandered the area for a long time trying to decide where to eat. We finally settled on the "New York" eatery, where we ordered sandwiches (pre-packaged) that reminded us of ones we would have gotten at a school cafeteria or made from home-after those awful chicken sandwiches, they were a godsend. We checked out the main Disney store there, and then we went home.

Overall, I would say that while WDI had many benefits at laying the foundation for a gorgeous park...unfortunately, due to so many complications the park has run into, it is in a great state of disrepair. It is a victim of several bad decisions. There are a few diamonds in the rough there, but the park needs some serious TLC. Coming from So Cal, seeing the state of this Disney Resort broke my heart. Many of Disneyland Paris' more recent history mirrors that of Disneyland Anaheim's troubled past, and I'm seriously hoping that the 20th anniversary of the park will kick management's butt into overdrive to fix things. Unfortunately, I think a lot of it is a little too late, and a lot of the work that needs to be done is extreme.

Disney needs to leave the Studio park alone for a while. It is not amazing by any means, but it has a few good attractions and has obviously gotten the most recent treatment. Seeing Captain Hook's ship was probably the most disheartening - I have never seen anything so rotted before. I had wanted to explore the Skull Rock area, but it stank so bad that no one wanted to go near the area.

I really hope the Ratatouille attractions gets built, but it is for the Studio park. I hope Star Tours gets updated,as the attraction really looked aged. I think it would be wonderful if Adventureland got a Jungle Book/Jungle Cruise hybrid. Space Mountain and Indiana Jones need serious help...it is painful to ride and it now makes sense why they didn't have a line at all. No one wants (or should) be subjugated to that kind of abuse. I have been on "extreme" rides at Six Flags, and none of them have felt remotely as painful as that. The track needs to be smoother and the headrest idea needs to be re-thought. It would be lovely if The Little Mermaid found its way over to the park, too, as that was originally planned for Paris in the first place. And perhaps, most importantly...for goodness sake, it's Paris! Even a quick-service location should have good food. You shouldn't have to pay at least 25 euros to eat something decent at the park. That is a crime to guests.

If the resort gets a decent overhaul, I will be back...in the meantime, I'm really not in a hurry.

Pics coming soon!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: First time at other parks besides Anaheim's...my musings.

Thanks for your opinions. Its always good to get a view from someone who's a frequent visitor to the Anaheim Resort. Where things are for the most part still done the right way. I'm sorry you have had a bad experience mixed in with some good. Unfortunately that seems to be the general feedback people give now days.

If I had known you were going I would of advised against both Space Mountain and Indiana Jones. Both are very rough experiences that do leave you with a bad impression. I would have also advised you to have gone table service. The fast food at the Resort is crap and disgusting and so not worth your time or money. A nice sit down meal in one of the good Restaurants like Walts or Silver Spur would of provided you with a much nicer experience to where you ended up Videopolis.

Overall, I would say that while WDI had many benefits at laying the foundation for a gorgeous park...unfortunately, due to so many complications the park has run into, it is in a great state of disrepair. It is a victim of several bad decisions. There are a few diamonds in the rough there, but the park needs some serious TLC. Coming from So Cal, seeing the state of this Disney Resort broke my heart.
    I would like all defenders of Disneyland Paris to read that statement. Since so many feel the place can do no wrong. Unfortunately a refurbishment on the Castle will not put a end to so many years a neglect and poor decisions. Which seem to have gotten worst since Philippe Gas was named CEO. This above qoute is coming from someone who who is not that familiar is the day to day issues of the Resort. But in a single day trip was able to pick up on the more serious issues and problems facing the Parks.

Look forward to your pictures and sorry to read that some parts of the trip were sour.

I don't know why, but my first post here didn't show up.

I don't know why so many people have problems with SM and Indy. I agree that both rides are rough, but I've never experienced any problems afterwards. Of course SM is not as smooth as RNRC, but I've been on a coaster at Cedar Point which was much worse.

I'm also sorry for your bad experiences. Unfortunately DLRP is far away from being an excellent Disney resort. Many will disagree, but in my opinion it's getting better from year to year. I'm happy to see the improvements being made, but there is still a long way to go.

I've been to both WDW and DLRP in 2008 and in defense of DLRP, I think the MK was in a worse state. Don't kill me for that, but besides the issues DLRP is facing, the rides were still better and the park looked nicer than in Florida. I'm just speaking for the MK and not for the other parks and of course not for the hotels, which are in a very bad state at DLRP.

Don't get me started at the food. Even the table service restaurants can't be compared with WDW or other nice restaurants around Paris. I'm a vegetarian and it was terrible at DLRP. At WDW CMs did everything to accomodate us, even at fast food restaurants, but in Paris at Walt's it wasn't even possible to substitute some items. At least some restaurants like Agrabah Cafe or Cafe Mickey offer some good food for veggies. I'm not a big fan of fast food, but they really have to improve the food, especially for the prices they charge.

Despite all the bad commentaries I can't wait to return next year and to compare it with Anaheim, since we plan to go there next year as well.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Imagine this, a bit worse, mostly in every queue...

Main park pics coming soon!
    Last edited by pineapplewhipaddict; 06-11-2011 at 10:36 AM.

I'm sorry for your bad experience with SM. For me, it's a little bit like "Déjā vu" at Six Flags MM. Ready difficult to enjoy myself in this kind of old school roller coaster.
    With my old age... 34 Hu Hu ! I like smooth things !
    So I understand completely your point.
    Too bad ! But SM still looks fabulous...

For the hyperion, you really choose the worst "fast-food" in DLP. I'm vegetarian too, and either in DLP or WDW, it's really difficult to find descent "counter-services".
    Tips : Never choose a fast-food with burger & french fries ! "Counter services" like Hakuna Matata or Bella Note are far better.

• Senior Minion

Thanks for the interesting TR. I was not surprised by any of your findings although I must admit to never personally experienced the smell of sewage in DLP (other than in the generally badly-maintained lavatories).

What were your impressions of the design of Disney Village?

The trick to riding Space Mountain, as is the trick with any ride with OTSRs, is to lean forward. No pain whatsoever.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by ryno1986 View Post
    The trick to riding Space Mountain, as is the trick with any ride with OTSRs, is to lean forward. No pain whatsoever.
    I swear, I tried that - I wasn't strong enough to stay there against the forces.

What were your impressions of the design of Disney Village?
    I will admit that I didn't see all of it, but...I thought it was ok. I'm kinda spoiled, coming from So Cal. Anaheim's Downtown Disney is good, but the best thing about it is the gigantic Disney store. In compariosn, Disney Village's version seemed rather small. However, I loved the figures of Aurora and Phillip in the gift boxes! I know there was supposed to be a blimp and I think a lake further down? I didn't see them. My boyfriend and I were desperately looking for food and after we ate I was so tired and done with the place that I didn't feel like going any further :/

• Not here to help

Itīs great to see how a person that only know the original park sees the newer versions. It was a fair review of DLP. Interesting to read.

I as many others have also noticed the terrible unhuman (or actually very human) smells in Disneyland Paris. It was to the extent that some of us felt ill and wanted to vomit.
    I donīt know if graffiti and stench is a french thing but I do not like it.

"Walking around, I began to notice the stench of sewage...now, it's not like I didn't smell those same smells around other parts of Paris, but I had expected that Disney would have built a cleaner/more updated sewage system so that guests would not have to smell pee and diarrhea so much. Gross. I did my best to overlook the amount of graffiti that was there, and the rotting of so many things around the park...but combine that with nasty smells everywhere, and you have one unhappy Disneylander."

"Coming from So Cal, seeing the state of this Disney Resort broke my heart."

My heart was also broken and I am from Sweden...

"Seeing Captain Hook's ship was probably the most disheartening - I have never seen anything so rotted before. I had wanted to explore the Skull Rock area, but it stank so bad that no one wanted to go near the area."
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 06-14-2011 at 01:03 AM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    I donīt know if graffiti and stench is a french thing but I do not like it.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Well seriously... is it? They donīt have it TDR. Didnīt see any in WDW two weeks ago... never saw it in HKDL...
    Only in France.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Resident of the Caldera

They are replacing Captain Hook's Pirate Ship, as reported on the Disney and More blog, so that will soon be fixed.

Why would you write this: "While I mostly disliked hearing French voices throughout the park for certain characters..." Well, what do you expect in France?

If you go to the Tokyo Disney Resort (which I highly recommend), then you'll hear mostly Japanese spoken by the characters.

If you make it to Hong Kong Disneyland you'll find that they mostly speak Chinese.

I don't remember smelling sewage in Disneyland Paris, but I don't doubt it. The place is supposed to be a real mess because of poor maintainence. It wasn't so bad the last time I was there almost 10 years ago.

• DisneyParks Fan

Just saying : the smelling sewage is due to Captain Hook's Pirate Ship refurb! They had to drain the reservoir and with heatwave these last few days in France, well... Anyway, it's not usual!

Hi, I'm a french who tries to speak in English! Please forgive me for the horrible mistakes I make. And don't hesitate to correct me :-) Thank you!

• Senior Minion

Personally although I would prefer 100% English on the DLP soundtracks (I am after all an Englishman!), the French on some of the attractions adds charm. Particularly those in Fantasyland. In fact the entire European setting and influence adds enormously to Fantasyland at DLP.

I went to DLP two years ago in 2009 and I remember having the worst headache ever after sitting Space Mountain. And that is normally my fave ride to sit at TDL and even sat it 4 times consecutively at HKDL and never felt sick. Are the rides more extreme in DLP?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast