Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

What's your take on Disneyland Paris?

For those who have been to this park as well as Disneyland Anaheim and WDW, how do you think the park compares to the American versions?

I've heard many say that Tokyo Disneyland is pretty outstanding across the board, but how would you compare the Paris resort to the American versions?

Personally I loved it. It felt very open and clean, and it still had a number of the better attractions in the Disneyland park itself. And it still has a lot of room to grow.

I also felt the CMs were very friendly and helpful, and I don't know about the rest of you who have visited the Paris park, but I found the queues to be nicely detailed on many of the attractions, and I also found the costumes in many areas of the park to be very well done. In some cases I like them better than Anaheim's to be honest. I liked the men's area costumes for Fantasyland, including the implementation of the old Small World-like costumes in the area. Pirates had great costumes, as did Mansion.

For those who have visited, what do you find the strengths and weaknesses of the park to be.

For me, I would say the only thing I would do is just add more attractions. Would love to see Toad there as more than just a restaurant. Some sort of transportation attraction would add even more life to the park (along the lines of the Peoplemover or Monorail).

I love the fact they have the Swiss Family Treehouse, and if I'm not mistaken, I saw a sign for the Keelboats?

Overall, I really like this park.

Re: What's your take on Disneyland Paris?

Why do you want to compare? Every Disney resort in the world is unique and different from the others.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wooper View Post
    Why do you want to compare? Every Disney resort in the world is unique and different from the others.
    Okay, let's try again....for those who have a response to my questions, would be interested in your feelings about Disneyland Paris.

For those who don't, not really looking for an evaluation of my question.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    Okay, let's try again....for those who have a response to my questions, would be interested in your feelings about Disneyland Paris.

For those who don't, not really looking for an evaluation of my question.

Thanks.
    This is not an evaluation. There are only two parks. The second park is cheap, just like DCA in 2001. Disneyland Park Paris is the most beautiful enchanted kingdom in the world but this park needs new rides. So, we could say Disneyland Paris has 1.5 park because the second isn't really a Disney park.

• Minion

Thanks.

And I will certainly agree that each park has its unique qualities and special vibes. But these boards are full of comparison/contrast questions (where the easy answer would be "they're each unique and special"), so I figured I'd ask the question about Paris since it tends to be the park least talked about. I wanted to get people's impressions on it.

I really liked the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooper View Post
    This is not an evaluation. There are only two parks. The second park is cheap, just like DCA in 2001. Disneyland Park Paris is the most beautiful enchanted kingdom in the world but this park needs new rides. So, we could say Disneyland Paris has 1.5 park because the second isn't really a Disney park.

• Nerd

My daughter was just there in April. She came home and said its Way better than our park. She thought haunted mansion was better (more scary), she really like BTRR just because of the way it pops up on the island in the middle of rivers of america, she thought overall it was nicer.

Then I spoke to a friend who was just there and he said...Meh...Ours is way better. yes some of the rides are cool, but overall, DL is a better park. So I guess everyone sees it different.

Here are a few pictures my daughter took in DLP
    Disneyland Paris Flickr - a set on Flickr
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Minion

Thanks, CMHusband!

I can see how there will be those who favor one over the other, and as Wooper noted, they should be respected for what they each offer.

I was just curious about what people thought about some of the details present in the different parks.

Thanks for the details as per your daughter and friend.

And might I add, your daughter takes great pictures. The ones I took of the city of Paris came out pretty good, but for some reason the ones I got at the Disneyland resort didn't come out the way I had hoped. I thought it was a beautiful park and your daughter's pix capture that much better than mine did. Not sure what happened with mine!

I agree that the HM at Paris has an edge that Anaheim doesn't. Both are great, but Paris is pretty interesting. And the phantom who appears throughout adds a macabre feeling to it.

Their Pirates is similar to ours. The queue is great I thought, and the lift being at the beginning gives it a different feel.

Indiana is totally different....more of a rollercoaster than a technological experience.

I thought Fantasyland was beautiful, and I thought it was neat how they had Storybook and Casey back in their own little nook down a separate pathway (as I recall).

The Alice walk through was interesting too....though I still prefer the actual attraction.

The castle was incredible. From the AA dragon living in the dungeon below, to the stained glass retelling of the story in the halls above....I thought it really was well done.

All that being said, I don't think anything will ever take away from Anaheim....the original! It will always be my favorite.

And when you think of what Disneyland Anaheim must have done to the senses way back when, it must have been incredible. For example, as great as Paris's Mansion is, Anaheim's has been around since the late 60s, and imagine what that ride experience must have been like for the guests. Talk about innovative.

And the same could be said for most everything at Disneyland....from Mansion to Pirates to Flight to the Moon....etc. Especially considering the day and age. People must have been floored by what Disney accomplished back then.

Paris though....I liked it better than the Magic Kingdom in Florida. Again, it's a bit different and needs to be respected as such. But paying attention to details, I liked it better than Florida.

It's been a while since I've been to the Florida park, but I remember thinking when I was there, I liked Anaheim's park better.

Disneyland Paris, on the other hand, actually got me thinking (at first) along the same lines as your daughter. I was really impressed and it struck me as being quite beautiful. And the wide open spaces provides a feel that Anaheim doesn't.

Like I said though, Disneyland still gets the edge being it's the original. But I'd put Paris in there behind Anaheim, I think. (Haven't been to the ones on the Asian continent but am eager to do so now.)

I do think that DLP is the most beautiful of the Magic Kingdom type Parks. It's laid out really nicely and the theming is incredible. It's so lush and magical. I will say that the second gate WDSP is like a cheap chain store. It lacks all the tiny elements that add up for a wonderful experience. It's very basic and is desperate for more attractions AND more theming. Toy Story Playland, while nicely themed, is just cheap carnival rides. I feel the Park suffered from the same as DCA did--where the bottom line was more important than the experience.

However, I think DLP suffers from stingy management that care (or at least in the past cared) more about the bottom line than creating an exceptional guest experience. Recently refurbs have been a priority I feel, but the Park for a while was really looking pretty rundown.

But it is always fun to visit, and the landscaping around the hotel and the location of the hotel is just fantastic and whimsical.

Disneyland will always be number one for me because, well, it's the original and it's what I grew up on. But DLP is my number two.

Tokyo Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are nice. TDL being better themed than Magic Kingdom. But they feel like franchises--too much of the same.

Animal Kingdom only has the animal gimic to keep it interesting.
    Disney's Hollywood Studios is just sad.
    Epcot has seen its day, and needs to be updated.
    Disney California Adventure is gaining momentum, but is currently sad.
    Tokyo DisneySea is amazing and the most original of all the second gates.
    Hong Kong Disneyland (which I completely forgot about and had to edit the post) is-well, unmemorable. It tries hard, and that I appreciate, but it's just there...perhaps it will be something unique soon.

I will say that it is probably time for a new attraction at DLP, and perhaps it will get something soon.

• Disney Fan & Musician

Disneyland Paris is the most beautiful Magic Kingdom park to me, but poorly maintained. Disneyland still takes the cake.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

France, but moving back to San Diego soon.

After living in France for a year, I have come to be very fond of the Disneyland Paris Resort. At first, when I arrived at the park, I had high hopes. Being a native San Diegian, I am use to Disneyland Resort in California and I have become very connected with the traditions of that park. However, upon first arrival at DLRP, I was a little unimpressed. It seemed very fake and not lively. I remember walking down Main Street USA in California at 8am and the buzz was incredible. Here, in France, it just didn't have the feel I expected.

Later on, when I was doing a report to about the two parks, I became very aware of the troubles that have surrounded Disneyland Paris and all the struggles it has gone through. As a theme park and resort, it has changed its name several times and has gone under new management over the past few years. Many people don't realize that DLRP is also very young. For a Disney themed park at it's age, I believe that it is doing well. It's grown since opening, it has launched an INCREDIBLE summer program (which I will be visiting next week) and it continues to serve Europeans and Americans in all fashions.

The biggest complaint that I hear is that DLRP isn't like DLR. I am happy that the parks are different. If each and every Disney park were the same, what would be the point of visiting? People forget that just because a park has "Disney" in the name, doesn't mean that the park has to also be aware of the culture of the home country is resides in. French way of life is different from the American way of life. This difference allows the park to incorporate so much more and make the experience richer. As for the language issue, I know for a fact that everyone who works at DLRP must speak French and English. If you talk to some of the CM's... they tend to speak 4 or 5 languages. DLRP is in the middle of Europe. It caters to so many cultures, languages and it does a great job. I am sad that next week will be my last trip for what seems to be a very long time. I am going to miss this park. It has come to be my "Home away from Home... Disneyland Style". Hope that answers your question.
    Yesterday is History,
    Tomorrow is a Mystery,
    But Today is a gift,
    That is why it is called "The Present"

Here's my opinion. It's absolutely gorgeous and highly detailed. A little short on attractions, but what they do have is very nice. Maintenance continues to be a struggle, both due to weather and low budgets. Stage shows and parades - some good, some horrid, but overall worth seeing. Never been to the Studios, so can't comment.

The main difference - and I know this sounds weird - is I don't get that true sense of placemaking like I do in DL or WDW. I feel like I'm in a place that only comes to life a certain number of hours per day, and then it just becomes a bunch of buildings and electronics overnight. Weird? I know, that's me. Perhaps it's the location so far from Paris. It just feels very temporary when you're there. Maybe as the years go on, that feeling will go away
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Future Imagineer! =D

I've never been to DLP, but I've only heard awful things about it, but this thread has really got me thinking.

I loooove Disneyland, I've grown up with it. In 2008 I went to Disney World, I was expecting it to be amazing and beautiful and different. Don't get me wrong, but it really was not all that great. Especially Fantasyland. Wowzah. I definitely want to give DLP a shot if it's better than the Magic Kingdom. It definitely looks like an interesting park to me- especially the castle with the dragon and all!!
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    I've never been to DLP, but I've only heard awful things about it, but this thread has really got me thinking.

I loooove Disneyland, I've grown up with it. In 2008 I went to Disney World, I was expecting it to be amazing and beautiful and different. Don't get me wrong, but it really was not all that great. Especially Fantasyland. Wowzah. I definitely want to give DLP a shot if it's better than the Magic Kingdom. It definitely looks like an interesting park to me- especially the castle with the dragon and all!!
    I kind of felt the same way about Orlando's park. While the resort aspect of Orlando takes the prize as a premier family Disney destination, the main park itself left me wanting.
    And I agree that their Fantasyland wasn't all that great.
    I did appreciate the fact they still had the Peoplemover-like attraction and the Carousel of Progress in Tomorrowland though.
    But other than that, in comparison to Disneyland, I still preferred the Anaheim park more.
    Upon visiting Paris, I was way more blown away than I was by Orlando.
    While I will always prefer Anaheim for being the original that it is, Paris gives Anaheim a run for its money in its sheer beauty.
    Like you said, its castle is very interesting. The dragon beneath the castle is very cool, and the walk-through with its stained glass retelling of "Sleeping Beauty" is beautiful.
    And its Fantasyland is great. The layout is a little different from Anaheim's, and while I think the Storybook/Casey area is more developed, detailed, intimate, and pretty in Anaheim, the location of Paris's Casey and Storybook is very interesting. It is sort of off in its own little enclave of Fantasyland. Storybook in Paris doesn't have a narration CM on board the boat. Their Casey is more like a mini-roller coaster style attraction, but there's not a lot to look at right alongside the tracks. They just need more detail IMO. Great setting. Very pretty in that sense. The attractions just need to envelop you a little more in the storytelling.

As for the parks as a whole, I know everyone has their personal preferences, and you might go to Paris and wonder what the big deal is.
    I'm a Disneyland/Anaheim lover too though, and I really enjoyed the Paris park.
    It's very beautiful, and I found the CMs to be helpful, friendly, and quite attractive.
    I had heard some criticisms about the Paris resort myself. Not sure what you heard, but what I heard was mainly that it was in disrepair, and that the CMs weren't of the same mindset and attitude that Anaheim's are.
    But I found this not to be the case at all.
    The CMs were fantastic, and the park was in the midst of freshening things up big time, including the pirate ship next to Skull Rock.
    They had some neat detail in their costuming too. Maybe they were just different than what I'm used to though so that's why I found them interesting. I thought they were very well done though....and again, very detailed.
    Now I can't really speak to the "resort" aspect of Paris as we only visited the park itself. My friend had said the Studios park wasn't that great. I was only interested in seeing the park though, because I rarely go into DCA here in Anaheim anyway. I wanted mainly to compare the parks themselves, not the "resort" as a whole.
    I hear they have several hotels on site, but I only saw the Disneyland Hotel at the main entrance of Disneyland Paris, and we only walked into the Downtown Disney district a little bit as we wanted to spend the better part of the day at the park and we had to catch a train back to Paris.
    So my review stands as mainly a review of the main parks themselves.
    Overall, Disneyland Paris was a great experience.
    I can try to post some pics if you want.

• Senior Minion

I have a lot of love for DLP...

BUT...

Maintainance is poor
    Guests are generally rude and in some cases down-right unsanitary
    There are some great CMs but just as many who clearly do not 'get' the Disney policy on service
    Entertainment is to a large degree unimaginative and cheap

These are my main gripes and although I do not wish to turn this into a DLP kicking, I genuinely believe that these points more than any are what seperate DLP from the other Disney parks across the globe.

I would say that the best Disney castle ever, a Sparrow-free POTC and some fantastic theming and details are the plus points!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

I have only been to Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney World and DLRP's Magic Kingdom is a lot better than the one in Florida. Especially the Fantasyland at WDW is very disappointing and I'm very happy that Disney is trying to improve it.

It's true DLRP has some maintenance issues, but the resort is currently refurbing nearly everything from the parking lot to the little details inside DLP. WDS is still far away from a real Disney park, but it also improved over the last years and now I really enjoy spending time there. TSPL is terrible and I wish it wouldn't have been built, but it looks at least nicer than Chester & Hester's Dinorama. That's by far the worst part of any Disney park I've seen.

I've been to both WDW and DLRP in 2008 and nearly all attractions found at both resorts were better in Paris with the exception of the Haunted Mansion/Phantom Manor.

Main Street USA at WDW is also very disappointing, since it's just a concrete floor without any bricks, while the one in France is highly themed and has two arcades. DLP's Fantasyland is very beautiful and can't be compared with the concrete desert in the Magic Kingdom.

Despite all the maintenance issues DLRP is still worth to visit. You have to take into account that ED SCA is nearly 3 billions in debt and the interests kill the resort. Nearly everything the company does, has to be approved by the banks and so it takes a lot of time until something new happens at the resort. I really hope DLRP continues to improve the the parks and the hotels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast