Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Question Does DLP have the best Main Street?

I was reading about the design of the land and then switched gears and compared it the Disneyland, Hong Kong Disneyland, and Magic Kingdom versions and after studying Paris, it seems its execution is perhaps the best out of all.

I find it interesting that like Tokyo, they started off with radical variations and then decided that it would be best to represent the spirit of Main Street which was America's tremendous progression into the turn of the century.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

• Forgotten Spirit

Re: Does DLP have the best Main Street?

I think overall Disneyland Paris is the most beautiful Magic Kingdom-style park.
    It took everything great from past Disneyland's, and made them better in most aspects.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by MrHatboxGhost View Post
    I think overall Disneyland Paris is the most beautiful Magic Kingdom-style park.
    It took everything great from past Disneyland's, and made them better in most aspects.
    I hear this a lot. But never been there myself.

• Dreamer

I would say yes. It has the same footprints as MK's MS but they added two arcades, which seamlessly connect the adjacent lands and they made an extra effort on the themeing.

• Minion

I've only been to the Anaheim, Paris, and Orlando parks, and I think the intimacy of Main St. at the DL Anaheim park will always make it my favorite. Especially considering it's the original.
    I thought Disneyland Paris was a really beautiful park though and that their Main St. was just great too. I'd place it second behind Anaheim (of the parks I've been to).

• Carbon based

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Lamp View Post
    I would say yes. It has the same footprints as MK's MS but they added two arcades, which seamlessly connect the adjacent lands and they made an extra effort on the themeing.
    I love the arcade. I think they help and make this a truly beautiful and unique main street. Trivia says that initially, during planning they were going to build a large roof like Tokyo in case of rain but switched to the two arcade instead, on either side. Because the cost of the arcade was 1/3 the one of the giant roof, Eddie Sotto immediately re-appropriated the left over budget for loading to the brim with decor and set pieces all the shops, ways, corridor of the Main Street!

I love Disneyland's one too, because it does feel intimate but it's kinda of nightmarish during parades, after fireworks (or when they have that giant red carpet for Pirate's premieres! )

Tokyo is very interesting even though I'm not sold on the roof. However, I like the REAL cross street going straight into Adventureland (Pirates) and Tomorrowland (Monster's). It feels "deeper", like a real-street because of the cross street.

And for some unfortunate reason which have nothing to do with the designers, my memory always associate MK's main street with Stroller's nightmare everywhere... There's probably no rationale for it, not sure why I see it that way from my experience...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TreoFred View Post
    I love the arcade. I think they help and make this a truly beautiful and unique main street. Trivia says that initially, during planning they were going to build a large roof like Tokyo in case of rain but switched to the two arcade instead, on either side. Because the cost of the arcade was 1/3 the one of the giant roof, Eddie Sotto immediately re-appropriated the left over budget for loading to the brim with decor and set pieces all the shops, ways, corridor of the Main Street!

I love Disneyland's one too, because it does feel intimate but it's kinda of nightmarish during parades, after fireworks (or when they have that giant red carpet for Pirate's premieres! )

Tokyo is very interesting even though I'm not sold on the roof. However, I like the REAL cross street going straight into Adventureland (Pirates) and Tomorrowland (Monster's). It feels "deeper", like a real-street because of the cross street.

And for some unfortunate reason which have nothing to do with the designers, my memory always associate MK's main street with Stroller's nightmare everywhere... There's probably no rationale for it, not sure why I see it that way from my experience...
    I forgot about the arcades at Paris. I loved that aspect of it!

Okay, so it's still second after Anaheim....but I just bumped it up even more.

• Five-Legged Goat

As much as I like the other parks' Main Streets, DLP's version is far and away my favorite. It's a sophisticated, "grown-up" spin on the theme, and bursting with details both inside and out.

As others have mentioned, the Liberty and Discovery Arcades are both utilitarian and highly themed. Beyond being just a place to get out of the cold or rain, they're packed with things to discover and explore, like the Liberty Arcade's tableau of the Statue of Liberty, or the Discovery Arcade's "cities of the future" posters. I also like the steampunky feel of the Arcades' ironwork, which injects a dash of Mysterious Island into turn-of-the-century America.

The other wonderful thing about DLP's Main Street is that it's home to Walt's -- my favorite table service restaurant in any Magic Kingdom-style park, and possibly in any Disney park period. Good food, great views, and beautiful, elegant decor based on the themes of each of the park's lands. I especially love the Nautilus/Discoveryland fireplace.

• Not here to help

DLP is the best Magic Kingdom when it comes to the design. No doubt about it at all.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhio View Post
    As much as I like the other parks' Main Streets, DLP's version is far and away my favorite. It's a sophisticated, "grown-up" spin on the theme, and bursting with details both inside and out.

As others have mentioned, the Liberty and Discovery Arcades are both utilitarian and highly themed. Beyond being just a place to get out of the cold or rain, they're packed with things to discover and explore, like the Liberty Arcade's tableau of the Statue of Liberty, or the Discovery Arcade's "cities of the future" posters. I also like the steampunky feel of the Arcades' ironwork, which injects a dash of Mysterious Island into turn-of-the-century America.

The other wonderful thing about DLP's Main Street is that it's home to Walt's -- my favorite table service restaurant in any Magic Kingdom-style park, and possibly in any Disney park period. Good food, great views, and beautiful, elegant decor based on the themes of each of the park's lands. I especially love the Nautilus/Discoveryland fireplace.

Great points. I saw Walt's there on Main St. We really should have eaten there. Sounds like a great place.

---------- Post added 08-13-2011 at 12:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    DLP is the best Magic Kingdom when it comes to the design. No doubt about it at all.
    It really is beautiful.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Awww some great pictures would great with this thread. I always hear such great things about the design and aesthetics of the park but not so great things from people's experiences there from friends who have gone.

• Dreamer

Here are two pictures of the Discovery Arcade. Note the Vetruvian man in the ironworks:

One thing DLP is known for are the intricate details throughout each design. For the full album, go to:

DLP - Main Street pictures by Andeavor - Photobucket

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Those are GORGEOUS! Thank you so much

I've only been to WDW and DLRP and so I don't know the Main Streets of DL, TDL and HKDL. In my opinion DLP's Main Street is a lot more beautiful than the one in the MK, although they are very similar.

WDW's Main Street looks really cheap with the concrete floor instead of the bricks. I'm happy that WDI replaced the concrete floor in Fantasyland with bricks recently.

Well In my opinion, when you look at MS of DLP and MK (the ones I know), they are more or less equal. But the big difference as many said are the two arcades, that help during parades, fireworks, and especially during bad weather (rain, snow, heat). I've never been to the other parks, but I think both disneyland and HK disneyland are equal and, IMO, a lil small (at least the buildings are not very tall). As for Tokyo, I really don't like the dome. It breaks the theme I think. So yes, for me the best Main Street is the one at DLP
    DLP - 1994 / 2002 / 2007 / 2010 / 2011 Annual Passport

WDW - 2006 / 2008 / 2009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast