Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Geek

Sgt. Tibs at Disneyland Paris August 2011

hey guys,

haven't really posted much recently (always lurking :-) but thought I would jump back in with a nice semi-live TR as I head off to Paris tomorrow.

Anyone who has been on the site for a couple of years or so will remember my last TR had a few gripes so it's great to read and see all the positivity coming out of Paris the last few months. I'm going full of optimism!

Feel free to follow me on twitter @ollybishop where I will be tweeting all day with photos hopefully (unless my phone battery runs out) and I'll try to put some thoughts on here in the evenings. Anyone know what the phone signal is like in DLP these days? 3G?

Then when I get back i'll upload all the photos from my camera.

Feel free to request any photos of things you want to see and if you want my thoughts on anything in particular. I'm sure I'll be covering all the major things :-)

As Al would say, 'See you in Disneyland!.......Paris'

• Membre

Re: Sgt. Tibs at Disneyland Paris August 2011

Have fun!
    I noticed that phone signal is sometimes bad in DLP, especially in Disneyland Park, better at the Walt Disney Studios. Usually no 3G in boutiques, restaurants and attractions.
    Now following you on Twitter...

• Geek

Well we got here just in time to walk down main street and grab a spot for Fantillusion. Amazing floats definitely, it being my first night time parade I have to say the effect of all those lights is pretty awesome. I'm gonna need a better spot near where it stops for the main part of the show though to get a full appreciation of it.
    The Enchanted Fireworks were totally amazing. Even with the local restrictions on big fireworks the displays I have seen here are always better than anywhere else in the non-disney world and this was no exception. Loved the castle projection effects aswell. Don't think they are quite as hi-tech as their American counterparts but still awesome to see.
    Well that was day one. Early start tomorrow for extra magic hours!

• Senior Minion

Rather jealous of you there Sergeant! Enjoy it! I don't do Twitter and so expect your entire TR and photos to appear here also.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Thanks for your first update. It seems you had a fantastic evening.

I've seen Fantillusion only once, but I liked it a lot. In my opinion it is a lot better than SpectroMagic at WDW, the only other nighttime parade I've seen so far.

• Geek

Thanks guys, just did buzz, 64700 score. Just waiting at pirates for rope drop. I'll do my best Nathan :-)

• Geek

Ok, today was busy to say the least. I'm gonna get this down so I don't forget later. After pirates, phantom manor, shopping, lunch at Hakuna Matata, shopping, back to hotel for a nap. Big thunder, once round the park on the train. Tarzan show, riverboat, pirates again, once upon a dream parade, dinner at cafe hyperion. Star tours, space mountain, BTM twice in the dark, amazing, fantillusion, enchanted fireworks, bed. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Geek

So far today, on this glorious day in Paris, we've pretty much done everything we wanted to do in the studios. This isn't necessarily a way of saying there's nothing to do in there, just that we got it done quickly. We ran full pelt to Crush's Coaster as soon as the gates opened and were rewarded withonly a 10 minute wait for the most popular ride in the park. By the time we got off the ride the wait was already at 60 minutes. It is an awesome ride.

Next up our first trip to Toy Story Playland. The family loved the themeing but didn't actually want to go on any of the rides even though they were all only 5 minute waits. Toy Story Mania would've made so much more sense.

Tower of Terror next for me while my girlfriend and her son did the tram ride. The cast members here are the best in the resort and our tv room Cm was great and our lift Cm was amazing. Totally in character the whole time. I can also report that I haven't encountered one less than perfect cast member the whole trip so far. Great stuff from the French/International CM's. TOT was better than I remmbered too which was a bonus.

Afterwards we hit the Moteurs Action stunt show for the first time which was very enjoyable. A lot of very talented people at the top of their game. The addition of Lightning McQueen though is totally pointless apart from the fact that he looks cool.

We followed this up with lunch at the nicely piratey themed Blockbuster Cafe and then Rock n Roller Coaster to mix it all up. This is usually my favourite ride in WDS but they are running it today with no music at all and very minimal lighting! What a disappointment. They might as well close it instead of running it like this. Totally spoils it when its just a rollercoaster in a dark atmosphere-less room.

Ok so time for a nap before hitting Fantasyland in a big way later.

Apologies to anyone following me on Twitter. I'm getting rather carried away with it :-) Lot's of photos to see on there already.
    Last edited by Sgt. Tibs; 08-23-2011 at 05:30 AM.

Thanks for another update.

Rock'n'Roller coaster must have been a big disappointment without the music. I've never experienced the ride without the soundtrack.

Crush's Coaster is great and one of our favorite rides in WDSP despite the lack of theming in the main showbuilding, but the ride experience is fantastic.

We loved the CMs at ToT in Paris. They are doing an amazing job, even better than at the Tower in DHS.

TSPL is a bad addition to WDS, but that's just my opinion, and I also think TSMM would have been a better choice.

Haven't you done Cinemagique, one of my favorite attractions at WDSP, and Animagique?

• Geek

Nope, didn't do either of the 'magiques'. Cine is good but not something that I feel I need to do again. I've never done Ani. For some reason its never appealed to me. I do like the studios on the whole though. People's main problem with it seems to be the lack of themeing but I think the movie studio feel is pretty good, my favourite part being the view down to the tram ride from the partners statue and the area around TOT.

I also like the area just inside the gates, it reminds me of what the actual studios in Burbank look like and I can quite easily imagine Walt walking from one building to the next :-)

This evening I did Captain EO for the first time and being a child of the 80's and a big fan of films from the decade I totally loved it. From the intro room music and video to the 'muppets' and 4d effects it was pretty awesome. I was a huge MJ fan when I was younger and this gave me a short period of time where I could forget what he did with the last 15 or so years of his life.

Did Indy too which I'd forgot is way too short but good and got another nice walk on to BTM after another breakdown. Oh yeah, did Pirates before that which also broke down while we were waiting for it. I'm pretty sure they are just being extra cautious with BTM right now after what happened but there does seem to be a lot of ride problems. I'm guessing being the busiest time of the year this is pretty standard right? I've never been in summer before.

Then we saw Mickey's Magical Celebration which was another standard DLP hub show. Enjoyable but not worth seeing more than once. The best thing about it was seeing Merlin!

Then got 170,000 on Buzz and had a hotdog in Casey's. Good stuff all round!

• Minion

Great reports. Brings back memories from my visit there last month.

As a 10 year Attractions CM at the Anaheim park, I must say I thought the Paris CMs were just super, and overall, I really loved the Paris park.

• Geek

So today I had an early night, no fantillusion or fireworks for me. Mostly because i'd been in the park for 11 hours straight after a character breakfast this morning, so i'm pretty tired. And i'm gonna try for 14 hours in the park tomorrow so i'm gonna need some rest!

Today was mostly spent in Fantasyland as we hadn't really touched it the first 2 days. So we did small world, the storybook ride, the curious labyrinth and the castle this morning and then pinocchio, snow white and peter pan this afternoon/evening. I also spent a lot of time this afternoon just wandering the park (my other half went for a nap). It was pretty awesome going from once place to the next with no agenda. I made sure to always choose the path that I had never been down before, exploring all the out of the way places and nooks and crannies that most people miss.
    I really love finding and enjoying the little details that make the park what it is. Hopefully i'll be able to find nice examples of this in the hundreds of photos I have taken to show you when I get home.

Also managed to fit in the requisite daily POTC and BTM trips :-)

Tomorrow is major shopping day along with the park tour and dinner at walts!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Tibs View Post
    So today I had an early night, no fantillusion or fireworks for me. Mostly because i'd been in the park for 11 hours straight after a character breakfast this morning, so i'm pretty tired. And i'm gonna try for 14 hours in the park tomorrow so i'm gonna need some rest!

Today was mostly spent in Fantasyland as we hadn't really touched it the first 2 days. So we did small world, the storybook ride, the curious labyrinth and the castle this morning and then pinocchio, snow white and peter pan this afternoon/evening. I also spent a lot of time this afternoon just wandering the park (my other half went for a nap). It was pretty awesome going from once place to the next with no agenda. I made sure to always choose the path that I had never been down before, exploring all the out of the way places and nooks and crannies that most people miss.
    I really love finding and enjoying the little details that make the park what it is. Hopefully i'll be able to find nice examples of this in the hundreds of photos I have taken to show you when I get home.

Also managed to fit in the requisite daily POTC and BTM trips :-)

Tomorrow is major shopping day along with the park tour and dinner at walts!
    By far my favourite past time at DLP... well, that and walking along Main Street eating something stuffed with enough calories to choke a horse!

So pleased you are enjoying your time there - have fun tomorrow (today?) and keep us posted.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Minion

Hi Sgt. Tibs
    Have you seen any face characters? If you have are they mainly French or English or a mix? Its fine if you can't, but id love if you could tell me

• Geek

Hi Chip and Dale, I haven't personally met any face characters (not my thing) but I've just finished doing the tour of the park and I asked my guide the question for you. Apparently the Princesses are nearly always English. She explained that for some reason it's the English girls that mostly apply for these jobs and then subsequently get them. Must be our culture! :-) Not sure about the Princes, but they are mostly just arm candy for the Princesses though right? ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast