Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Suspended

Re: What's With The Hotels???

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
    You have to give the park some credit, because Disney did a lot to improve the park during the last year. After reading all the updates on WDW here on Micechat, I would even say that some parts of DLP are better now than at WDW. Given the financial situations of WDW and DLRP, the US resort should be in a much better condition. DLR is far from being perfect, but at least Disney is refurbing the resort.
    I did not mean it like that. I am glad that they are refurbishing most of the park to make it almost brand new. I meant that they have not really added any new attractions within the past few years like other parks have added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
    I also don't understand why Disney isn't planning to build a new hotel. I mean the occupancy rate is nearly 90%, so there is no room for more and so Disney can't make more money than with increasing the room rates. In my opinion that will backfire, because the quality doesn't justify that. It doesn't need to be a big hotel, maybe 500 rooms. According to Philippe Gas, CEO of ED SCA, DLRP needs another deluxe hotel, because these kind of rooms are requested the most.
    If occupancy is really up then they can afford to remodel the rooms, there's no excuses if there is a 90% occupancy rate. If they need a new deluxe hotel, they could remodel the Sequoia Lodge or Newport Bay Club with deluxe materials and can build a new moderate-value hotel since it would be cheaper to build one of those bracket hotels than to built a brand new deluxe hotel.

ED SCA wants to build a new deluxe hotel near the parks, at least that's what Mr. Gas said in a round table discussion last autumn. I agree with you that a remodeling of the existing hotels would be cheaper.

Since 2007 Disney has added only new attractions to WDSP. They added ToT, Crush's Coaster, Cars Race Rally and that stupid TSPL. I hope DLP will also get something new in the next years. A Ratatouille insired ride is coming to WDSP in 2014, but it seems DLP is still left behind.

• Suspended

Also if they build a brand new hotel, in comparison the hotels that are there will look really run down in comparison to a brand new one. If they built one, all of the other hotels will require significant remodels, especially the Disneyland Hotel if it is supposed to be the most deluxe property.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    Disneyland Paris, like the rest of the Disney parks around the globe, are supposed to be top notch in respect to their quality and services. There is no excuse for DLP to charge so much for rooms that do not warrant the cost. Even the partner hotels are cheaper and provide a much more updated space.
    Please tell me what partner hotel is cheaper.
    I have been to Santa Fe 5 or 6 times now and everytime I check all other hotels will cost me a lot moe.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

again all those DLP hotels look like dumps to my standards. I would rather stay in Paris.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by TravisMT81 View Post
    again all those DLP hotels look like dumps to my standards. I would rather stay in Paris.
    Last time I went I stayed at the Radisson SAS (now Radisaon Blu) which is located at Disneyland Golf, so only a short drive to the parks.

Its geared more to the business traveller rather than the park guest but I didn't find it an issue. Plus their rates are quite reasonable.

Plus the decor was rather nice. It was like staying at DLRP's answer to the Contemporary Resort.
    Hotel Disneyland® Paris. The Radisson Blu Hotel at Disneyland® Paris.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• JML

Dear Hathaway,

thank you very much for the tip ! It looks great !

What kind of room did you take ? Did you use the swimming pool ? If so, how big was it ? How are the restaurants there ? Did you like the breakfast they offer ?

I apologize for all these questions but since I am coming back to France in May, I am very interested by this hotel.
    Jeanmi

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    Alright Dagobert, I always thought of Sequoia Lodge as being a deluxe property while Hotel Cheynee was the moderate resort and Hotel Santa Fe is the value property.
    Here's a picture of Port Orleans Resort Riverside:
    I just realized that's MY photo. Heh!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

The hotels are no way worth the prices that you pay for them. I usually go with the Santa Fe because its the cheapest option. But in my view all of them are not worth the price you pay for them. With an occupancy of 87% and a couple of parks combining almost 16 million a year. Its very confusing to see how this place doesn't make a good profit and how they could not easily afford to fully refurbish all the hotels. And no I'm not talking about placing up a few Cars posters for theming.

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by jml338 View Post
    Dear Hathaway,

thank you very much for the tip ! It looks great !

What kind of room did you take ? Did you use the swimming pool ? If so, how big was it ? How are the restaurants there ? Did you like the breakfast they offer ?

I apologize for all these questions but since I am coming back to France in May, I am very interested by this hotel.
    No need to apologise! haha

If I remember right, it was just a standard room, which was a fairly decent size in its own right. (One large bed, two armchairs, TV and desk etc. Shower/bath in a spacious bathroom.) I was on my own so it was more than ample for my needs.

It overlooked the golf course and in the distance you could see the Newport Bay Club, WDS (Earful Tower and La ToT) as well as the peak of Big Thunder.

I didn't use the pool, so I can't really say, sorry.

As for the restaurants, well I was only on a two day trip, so I didn't have a chance to eat at them in the evening. Given the options in the Village or even nearby Val d'Europe I wasn't stuck for eats. It was French cuisine in both (if that helps!)
    Although the night I got back from WDS I did have a rather nice Croque Monsieur (ham and cheese toastie) in the bar.

As you can imagine, I did enjoy breakfast there. Usual continental buffet style with a hot plate option for sausage and eggs. I would imagine it's not changed in the four years since I've been.

A word of caution, I was driving so I didn't have problem going to and from the resort, it is a 10-15min drive. They did offer a bus transfer but I don't know to what frequency they ran.
    The only other thing I found, as I mentioned in the other post, it was a bit of a business hotel, so you are subject to conferences being in. Lots of L'Oreal people milling around when I was there. Not a huge problem, but worth noting.
    Last edited by Hathaway Browne; 04-10-2012 at 09:23 AM.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Five-Legged Goat

I've stayed at DLP hotels twice -- once at the Cheyenne in the late '90s, which was fine, and once at the Santa Fe in 2010, which was far and away the single worst Disney experience I have ever had (and I've visited all 11 parks and stayed at most of the domestic resorts).

The Santa Fe had just "refreshed" its rooms by adding Cars-themed bedding and decor in the rooms, as well as some Cars theming on the grounds generally -- but from the state of the rooms, buildings, and grounds, you wouldn't have thought that any work had been done to the hotel since it opened almost 20 years previously.

Before even getting to the worst part of it, let me say that the service at the Santa Fe was the most disappointing I've ever encountered at a Disney resort. The three CMs at the check-in counter were friendly, but were so inefficient that it took almost an hour to process a half-dozen parties waiting to check in. Guests have to purchase laundry tokens at the gift shop, yet no one who worked there knew anything about it -- it took several CM calls to management and 20 minutes before we managed to get a token. (And one of the machines was broken, anyway.) You could supposedly purchase in-room internet access through the TV, but the system still registered the name of a previous guest, and apparently not a single person at the hotel knew how to fix it -- one hour and many calls later, still no internet access. And the breakfast "buffet" was utter chaos -- a mad scramble for food that could have been so much better had the hotel just made some minimal effort at crowd control, or even if they'd had a single CM in the food service area to assist.

Worst of all, though, was how decrepit the buildings and grounds were. Chipping paint, torn carpeting, broken doors, you name it. The most disgusting part was how the water features (trenches in the buildings that are ostensibly meant to carry water into streams throughout the grounds) were completely clogged with trash. There was literally decaying rubbish crammed into nooks and crannies everywhere. I was stunned that the resort didn't think to have someone do something about it.

It was utterly depressing walking around the Santa Fe hotel and grounds -- it seriously felt like some surreal nightmare of a post-nuclear-armageddon ghost town in the American southwest. If my experience there had been my first taste of a Disney resort, I don't think I'd ever want to return.

And, of course, the room rate -- though "moderate" compared to the other DLP rates -- was still exorbitant, especially for what you got. In stark contrast, I'd stayed at the Pop Century just a few weeks earlier, and everything about the PC was far, far superior than the Santa Fe, and at a fraction of the cost.

I'm planning to visit DLP again in the next year or two, but no way would I ever pay those prices to stay at an official Disney hotel -- the deplorable state of the Santa Fe just about ruined my last visit. I'd definitely plan to stay at one of the partner hotels instead, until there's some evidence that the conditions at the "official" hotels are vastly improved.

• Nutty about Disney parks

If they're building an 8th hotel, I hope they steer clear of the American themes that the 6 out of the 7 hotels currently have. Staying in a American theme hotel in Paris is all kinds of awkward.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    If they're building an 8th hotel, I hope they steer clear of the American themes that the 6 out of the 7 hotels currently have. Staying in a American theme hotel in Paris is all kinds of awkward.
    Well the old thinking is that to Europeans its something unique, which kind of makes sense.

I'm not entirely sure what theme they would go for. Something along the lines of the Contemporary wouldn't go a miss. That is, however, if they do build another hotel. I'm still unsure it'd be a wise. Maybe if they built the convention centre first.

Walt Disney

If Disney wants to add a new hotel, they should use the space between Disney Village, Lake Disney and NPBC. Disney could use a Hollywood theme, like they have done in HK, because it would fit perfectly the American theme of the hotels.

---------- Post added 04-18-2012 at 12:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhio View Post
    I've stayed at DLP hotels twice -- once at the Cheyenne in the late '90s, which was fine, and once at the Santa Fe in 2010, which was far and away the single worst Disney experience I have ever had (and I've visited all 11 parks and stayed at most of the domestic resorts).
    We have stayed three times at the Santa Fe and it was always fine. But then we have been to the Pop Century in Florida and were surprised how good and nice it was. So the next time at DLRP we stayed in the Sequoia Lodge and were so disappointed by our room. The hotel in general looks nice, but our room was not beautiful at all. We expected a lot more since we paid a higher price. Hopefully the refurbed rooms are nicer. Judging from the pictures, the rooms do look better, but still don't reach the quality of the US hotels.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I'm guessing that until the entire resort starts operating at a profit, we won't see much improvement. I'm still trying to figure out how they managed to lose 120 million euros in one year. I think most of the stays there will be hit and miss until then. We had an amazing experience at the Newport Bay club as we had a room with a balcony overlooking the lake, New York Hotel and parts of DTD. Our room was clean and in good repair, no wall paper pealing off the walls, clean bathroom, etc. For us, it was on par with the Yacht Club at WDW where we stayed in 2004.

But I read several horror stories before we went, and I just rolled the dice and took a chance, and for us, it worked out fine.

I must admit that the baggage screening was a bit unsettling as we don't have to deal with that here yet in the states. It also took a year and a day to check in, but I guess that's to be expected at one of the largest hotels in Europe.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast