Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What's With The Hotels???

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    I'm guessing that until the entire resort starts operating at a profit, we won't see much improvement. I'm still trying to figure out how they managed to lose 120 million euros in one year. I think most of the stays there will be hit and miss until then. We had an amazing experience at the Newport Bay club as we had a room with a balcony overlooking the lake, New York Hotel and parts of DTD. Our room was clean and in good repair, no wall paper pealing off the walls, clean bathroom, etc. For us, it was on par with the Yacht Club at WDW where we stayed in 2004.

But I read several horror stories before we went, and I just rolled the dice and took a chance, and for us, it worked out fine.

I must admit that the baggage screening was a bit unsettling as we don't have to deal with that here yet in the states. It also took a year and a day to check in, but I guess that's to be expected at one of the largest hotels in Europe.
    Good to hear that you had a wonderful hotel experience at DLP. The hotels aren't falling apart, neither the rooms. It's just the quality that doesn't match the hotel prices. At least DLP is trying to improve the hotels. If DLP wouldn't have the huge debt, they would operate on profit. The interest rates are canibalizing the profits, and currently DLP is repaying bigger amounts of debts than they can handle.

The check in is always a gamble at DLP. We had long lines and a very quick check in, but also short lines and the check in took forever. I guess that depends on how motivated the employees are. We always try to find a German CM, becuase they are really fast and they usually speak English as well.

During my six stays I've only had once a bad experience with my room, but we got another one. They were always clean and fine, but I admit that the Pop Century rooms at WDW were nicer, the service was better and the maintenance was also better.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by TravisMT81 View Post
    again all those DLP hotels look like dumps to my standards. I would rather stay in Paris.
    Hahah they are dumps!

---------- Post added 05-17-2012 at 02:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    I'm guessing that until the entire resort starts operating at a profit, we won't see much improvement. I'm still trying to figure out how they managed to lose 120 million euros in one year. I think most of the stays there will be hit and miss until then. We had an amazing experience at the Newport Bay club as we had a room with a balcony overlooking the lake, New York Hotel and parts of DTD. Our room was clean and in good repair, no wall paper pealing off the walls, clean bathroom, etc. For us, it was on par with the Yacht Club at WDW where we stayed in 2004.

But I read several horror stories before we went, and I just rolled the dice and took a chance, and for us, it worked out fine.

I must admit that the baggage screening was a bit unsettling as we don't have to deal with that here yet in the states. It also took a year and a day to check in, but I guess that's to be expected at one of the largest hotels in Europe.
    No wall paper pealing at all and a clean bathroom? WOOOW hahah
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Functional & Decorative

I stayed at the hotel in Disney Paris for the first time in 20 years. Since money was tight, and they upped the prices due to the new show, we stayed at the cheapest place, the Cheyenne.

Now, since it wast the lowest end, and we've been reading how bad things were, we had extremely low expectations. They were more or less met. The rooms were about as good as a Super 8 Motel, with a tad more theming. Very hard beds. No hairdryer provided unless you ask for it, and then you're charged.

The best part of staying at the hotel was access to the Magic Morning hours. The included breakfast was serviceable. Nothing special, basically an elaborate continental breakfast, no hot food. But a good selection, as far as that goes.

However, the worst part was the customer service. Because of our travel plans, we had to check out in the morning, before going to the Magic Morning hours. We were planning on leaving our bags there, but they said they could ship them to the park, and we could pick them up there on our way out. This sounded great, as the hotel is relatively far off from the park. They told us to pick up our bags "go to the elevator by the train station, go up, and turn right".

Well. At the end of the night, staying until park closing at 9:30pm to catch the new show, we head to the Main Street Train Station. Sure enough, there is an elevator. But 1) there doesn't seem to be any access to it, because 2) it seems to just be ADA access to the train itself. We saw no sign of any sort of baggage hold. So we asked at nearby Stroller Rental. They had absolutely no idea what we were talking about. They told us to try the baggage hold outside the exit of the park.

We go to the baggage hold, which is a paid service, so we know this is not it. But we ask about our bags, hoping they'd have idea what happened to our bags. They tell us the hotel sent our bags to the Magic Express, which is inside the adjacent Metro Station. This was a surprise to us, as not a single employee had mentioned to us in the morning that we were using a Magic Express service, nor that it would be at the Metro Station. So we trudge through there. Sure enough, way in the back of the station, we find the elevator, go up, turn right, and find it.

Closed.

This is a huge problem, as not only do we have no bags, but as that was our final day at Disney, our next hotel for that night was in Paris, which is still a 40 minute train ride away. So we try to go back to the baggage hold at the park again. By this time, the park has been closed for over 30 minutes. Security asks where we're going before we get there. We explain the situation to her. Fortunately, she's very kind and makes a few phone calls, which take about another 20 minutes (it's now nearly 10:30 pm, and we still need to catch the last trains out to Paris). She tells us that Magic Express closed at 8:45pm. Which is extremely odd, because the park closed at 9:30pm, and no one had mentioned this fact to us.

It turns out that semi-fortunately, our bags were shipped back to the Cheyenne hotel. So we head back there (a 15 minute trip). Two of our 4 bags are at their baggage hold and are immediately retrieved. We were told the other two were at the front desk. Why? I have no idea, and no real explanation or apology was offered. So we head back to the front desk, and have to wait in a line that moved terribly slowly. After another 15 minute wait, we get our bags, return (again!) to the Metro station, where it's now close to 11:30.

Then we discover our particular Metro stop is not listed on the automated machines, and all the manned ticket booths have now closed. Fortunately, we find a metro employee who, after hearing our question, went back into a booth and opened up just for us to get a ticket. We make our train to Paris with 10 minutes to spare, but it was quite an experience.

Now, Disney Paris can't be blamed for the last part, but I have no idea why we couldn't have been told that we were using the Magic Express service, as well as telling us what hour it closed (or at least that it closed before the park did). And while we were glad our bags were at least shipped back to the hotel, why didn't they all stay together when they were initially grouped together?

The fact the hotel appeared understaffed and not exactly motivated to work quickly didn't help much, either.

Not sure if we'd stay on property again. The Magic Morning hours were nice, but just watch your bags should you check them. Or pay the money to get them shipped to the baggage hold outside the park (granted, the service we did get was free--but I guess we got what we paid for). The office seemed more organized, and was indeed open after the park was closed.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Not here to help

2 words:

BAD SERVICE!

I really hope they don't build another hotel, I think out of all things the last thing that DLP is yet another hotel. They should focus on refurbishing the current ones or providing new entertainment instead of building another hotel to add to the huge amount they seem to have now!
    "It all started with a mouse." Walt Disney
    Disneyland Paris: 2008
    Walt Disney World: 2008, 2013
    Disneyland Resort California: 2010, 2012

• DLRP, Number 1!

Newport Bay Club refurbishment has begun.

magicforum

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by DLRPbigfan View Post
    Newport Bay Club refurbishment has begun.

magicforum
    Wow, it definitely is a step above what was there but it seems like they lost the original intent of the architect and are trying to make it more contemporary 30s art-deco cruise ship instead of turn of the century Victorian seaside resort. Overall though it was long overdue to have this renovation complete and am glad to see the hotels receiving some love. It would have looked better if they remodeled it like the Yacht and Beach Club considering they were designed by the same architect and have similar themes but this is better than what was there before. But better could have been done.

• Tomorrow's Child

Wow that is a vast improvement. Sure they could have stuck to the theme better, but the way things are at the resort it's better like this than none at all.

Being overly critical for a moment, it seems that they have decided to give it a more character feel over the more specific theme, which is a shame - especially if they've done it under the assumption that the average guest wants 'character theme' over 'setting theme'. Thankfully they haven't gone as "on the nose" as the Animation Resort in WDW.

If the rest of the NPBC looked like this (and stayed this well kept) I might actually reconsider staying there again.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

It's directly inspired from the Disney Dream ship for the portholes in the rooms and the corridors' carpet.

I like the new look, except for the character port holes. It could have been done more subtle like at the Sequoia Lodge.

But there is one thing that enoys me so much. When we Disney stop using shower curtains? In recent years I have been to many hotels and none of them used shower curtains.

• Suspended

For an architecture and interior design background, I can tell you that the redesign really detracts from the architectural intent Stern had when designing the hotel.

It would have been much more sutable if they remodeled the rooms more like this:

The main problems I have is the furniture (it is way too art deco, it looks like it belongs in Hotel New York), the border, and the lighting fixtures above the bed (they look like outdoor lights).

If those three things were replaced with something alot classier and classic like at Yacht Club it would definitely fit the theme a 100 times better.

But do not get me wrong, this remodel was needed, but I know they could have done better.

• Not here to help

The fact stated above is interesting...
    But atleast it looks good. Im not going to praise it like the people on that magicforum that was linked but it does look ok.

• Tomorrow's Child

Its one of those trade offs we have to put up with at the moment. Its better than none at all, but skews the theme.

Sort of like Lazer Blast in Discoveryland. You know it doesn't belong there but put up with it as it was the first new attraction in years.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Fultimate View Post
    Each of the seven Disneyland Paris' hotels will be renovated. Tree hotels (Sequoia Lodge, Santa Fe and Davy Crockett Ranch) are currently in refurbishment. Every of the seven Disney hotels will look new and pretty.
    What's happening at the DCR? On my first trip to DLP in Sep 09, they were replacing most of the trailers there. The one we were given had an awful rotten smell. We got another new unit in its place and have stayed in the new units on both subsequent trips.

Now please say they are adding a shuttle bus. I use a 1/4 tank of gas when I go just traveling to the park; and let's not talk about the 2 mile walk from the parking lot to the gate.

---------- Post added 08-22-2012 at 04:05 PM ----------

Closed? Lack of motivation to help?

That sums of Europe in a nutshell. These people here are reluctant capitalists. They would much rather be drinking coffee at some cafe while getting their government money. Nobody has an incentive to give you actionable information. Their attitude is "Don't like it? That's fine, go somewhere else next time so I don't have to work as hard as you're trying to make me right now."

After living in Germany for nearly 4 years, I can't wait to get back to the States. Companies actually want your money and are eager to please. The exchange rate is pretty good I hear, too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast