Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Re: 120 000 000 Euro loss for EuroDisney

Someone needs to explain to me why they are closing DLP at 9 PM in June when the park is still PACKED with visitors. Maybe it eventually saves money, but using Anaheim as a model, it would seem that there is still money to be made on merchandise and food. We went at the end of last June and were surprised that they wouldn't leave the park open longer on a crowded Thursday and Friday. I realize that the area schools were not out yet for Summer, but DLP seemed pretty full to me. If they are still ending the year with that kind of a loss, they really need to re-think what they have been doing up until this point.

I agree. I'm still baffled as to how they're in debt. All the Story Story Land rides had an hour plus wait, Buzz had a 90 minute wait, Haunted Mansion had a 30 minute wait, etc. Unbelievable.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by MactheMan View Post
    I agree. I'm still baffled as to how they're in debt. All the Story Story Land rides had an hour plus wait, Buzz had a 90 minute wait, Haunted Mansion had a 30 minute wait, etc. Unbelievable.
    The long wait for Toy Story has more to do with the capacity of the rides than its popularity. Haunted... Phantom Manor often has a longer wait that many other rides.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Quote Originally Posted by MactheMan View Post
    When I was there last week the longest queue we saw was crush's coaster at a staggering 120 minutes. Some of the queue's are so disorganised and poorly run (tram tour being a big example) that I think some of the times are definately caused by this rather than actual footfall. We went on the Parachute drop when the park first opened one morning, took 40 minutes due to cast members not counting the right amount of people going on the ride, visitors staying on the ride and not getting moved off and technical issues with the locking mechanism.

Saying that, there are some that run swifty and efficently, like Slinky Dog or Rock 'n' Rollercoaster.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Adding to my above post, I just saw a story this morning about how Europe is still trying to recover from a sizable recession. While our economy in the states has been horrible as well, Anaheim has been able to pull in record numbers due to a manic Annual Passholder base that seems willing to keep paying each year regardless of how much they jack up the prices. I think we're close to a million AP holders at the moment and each year, the number continues to climb.

One of the more brilliant decisions, as far as marketing goes, was to allow folks to make monthly payments on their annual passes. Does anyone have a ballpark figure of how many AP holders DLP has? And do they allow you to pay off your pass with monthly payments? I know that DLP is more isolated and that they wouldn't have as large of a draw as Anaheim, but the monthly payment idea might really help bring in the locals a bit more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Someone needs to explain to me why they are closing DLP at 9 PM in June when the park is still PACKED with visitors. Maybe it eventually saves money, but using Anaheim as a model, it would seem that there is still money to be made on merchandise and food. We went at the end of last June and were surprised that they wouldn't leave the park open longer on a crowded Thursday and Friday. I realize that the area schools were not out yet for Summer, but DLP seemed pretty full to me. If they are still ending the year with that kind of a loss, they really need to re-think what they have been doing up until this point.
    Well this year closing times for June is 11pm. Thats because of the new show Disney Dreams! It has to be dark for it to work. I really hope after the 20th the hours become permanent.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DLPfan1992 View Post
    Well this year closing times for June is 11pm. Thats because of the new show Disney Dreams! It has to be dark for it to work. I really hope after the 20th the hours become permanent.
    I had forgotten about the new show. I wish it would have been around last year as it seemed so bizarre to be kicking everyone out while the sun was still up at 9 PM with the park jammed full of guests. I hope the show and extra hours more than pay for themselves and that these hours become permanent during the Summer and on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    One of the more brilliant decisions, as far as marketing goes, was to allow folks to make monthly payments on their annual passes. Does anyone have a ballpark figure of how many AP holders DLP has? And do they allow you to pay off your pass with monthly payments? I know that DLP is more isolated and that they wouldn't have as large of a draw as Anaheim, but the monthly payment idea might really help bring in the locals a bit more often.
    From what I can tell, no you have to pay it in one lump sum. We've looked into getting one but as every hotel package includes the park tickets we would never use it to the extent we could do (for 2 day trips etc). Plus every part of getting one is a wrapped in 5 levels of complicated french paperwork.

However, monthly payments for passes from 119 Euros to 199 Euros...

DLP is thinking about the payments in 3 times actually. But nothing is decided.

Guest Relations & Ticketing Coordinator @ Disneyland Paris
    English is not my mother tongue, I hope you would forgive me for my spelling mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fultimate View Post
    The problem is absolutely not the attendance. The problems are the charges, the debts and other financial items.
    The problem in reality is total feasibility, massive errors from the beginning (assuming Europe is some part of USA...). It includes everything. (Also attendance and more specifically the average 'total stay time' in DLRP)
    For instance, it includes the fact that Disney executives believed the (expensive) 2-4 day stay resort idea is feasible in Europe, just as it is in Florida. Impossible ! The main macro economic reason behind this is, that Europe has twice as long official (paid) yearly vacation time, then usual provided in the USA (+- 20 days versus +- 10 days... ) It would take too long to explain in detail why this socio economic fact DE-favores resort destination plans, but it really does. Add this to the other fact, Disney was not even aware of this European reality, different from the USA, and you get a major FATAL and massive feasibility error during pre-planning and full planning. (Which eventually works out over 50 years.... ) Disney's experience before Paris, was Tokyo. In Japan, the official (paid) yearly vacation time period is similar to the one in the USA ... also around 10 days. That's why Disney did NOT meet this kind of fatal error in Tokyo.

(A concept developer's viewpoint - from Team-at-Once.tk)

I found it very sad to know that eurodisney is not a success.

I still recall when I was a younster and the different places where to build eurodisney were being considered and evaluated and the pros and cons discussed in the spanish media.

I regret that may be some important factors were not fully appreciated in the location decission.

But why not change?

Land in Spain now is cheap and for sure there will cities happy to receive a new Eurodisney. why not buy some land close to sunny Valencia for instance (high speed train to Madrid and Barcelona) and start all over again?

My sincere respect to all people in this micechat. Sorry if my comment annoys anyone. It is not in my intention.

Best wishes.

I think Paris was the best choice even if the Spanish's weather is better. Nonethelss Disneyland Paris is a real commercial success ! Don't forget it is the most visited place in Europe which brought more than 15 millions guests last year. The real problem is the Walt Disney Studios Park (even if there were also too many rooms when it opened in 1992) This is why they are trying to transform the second gate into a real Disney Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseline View Post
    I found it very sad to know that eurodisney is not a success.

I still recall when I was a younster and the different places where to build eurodisney were being considered and evaluated and the pros and cons discussed in the spanish media.

I regret that may be some important factors were not fully appreciated in the location decission.

But why not change?

Land in Spain now is cheap and for sure there will cities happy to receive a new Eurodisney. why not buy some land close to sunny Valencia for instance (high speed train to Madrid and Barcelona) and start all over again?

My sincere respect to all people in this micechat. Sorry if my comment annoys anyone. It is not in my intention.

Best wishes.
    How should that work? Closing the resort in France and building a new one from scratch? That's ridiculous. No company would finance that, when there is already a working Disney Resort in Europe. If ED SCA wouldn't have the debts, it would be a financial success. Paris was and still is a good location. The city of Paris is still one of the most visited places in the world and DLP is the most visited place in Europe. I think that shows clearly that there is no need for relocation.

Despite the sunny weather in Spain, I'm glad it was built in France. It's much more convenient to go there from nearly everywhere in Europe. Weren't there threats by the terrorist group ETA that made Disney to build its resort in France, too?

---------- Post added 06-28-2012 at 09:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I think Paris was the best choice even if the Spanish's weather is better. Nonethelss Disneyland Paris is a real commercial success ! Don't forget it is the most visited place in Europe which brought more than 15 millions guests last year. The real problem is the Walt Disney Studios Park (even if there were also too many rooms when it opened in 1992) This is why they are trying to transform the second gate into a real Disney Park.
    It is a financial success. All attendance targets were met, they just built too many rooms. Seven hotels for one park? That's silly. Another problem was the obligation to build a new park by a certain date. If that contract with the French government wouldn't have been in place, WDSP wouldn't have been built and the resort would have had more time to recover. At that time they started to make profit.

• Musical Fireman

Out goes DCA as the problem park and back goes EuroDisney into the fryingpan. Shame too I love the whole look of the park, they need to fix it and one is redo areas like Discoveryland turn it into the Discovery bay that it was slated to be. Was it a recurring issue for Eisner and his staff to overestimate the popularity of the projects he commissioned?

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

In response to your post about poorly run queues-Crush what a disaster !!!We went back to dlp for the first time in 10 years last year and having been to Anaheim 6 times and to wdw once as well I couldn't believe they would operate that policy.No single rider why ? it makes the queue SHORTER not longer.No one from my family wanted to ride so I was forced to be cattle hearded on my own for 70 minutes while (shell?) shell after shell was sent out with 3 riders and an empty space>yet when I got to the front of the line having had to wait as long as those folks...I had to have a stranger sit next to me.The subs are way better anyway-in your face Paris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast