Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: 120 000 000 Euro loss for EuroDisney

I don't know whether this is true or not but I seem to recall reading or hearing somewhere that one of the reasons why DLP's location was chosen was because of a personal connection to Walt's life story: that his ancestors came from that region and that he was there as an ambulance driver during WWI.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by Riebi View Post
    Sorry...but I never read a such unprofessional analysis...are we here just to write down some stuff that didnīt is even a bit near the reality?

They always have such a big loss at the first half. Of course they can sell some land and get some money back. But this fiscal year they havenīt done such things.

Exactly. They have a very high attendance. Also if you see other theme parks in the world. but the high debt was and is a problem of dlp. And itīs a problem because they built seven hotels in 1992. Shut them down? And then? They cost the same money. Cause they are there! They built them already so they have to pay for them.

And another point for the hotel shut down thing: ...they have always around 80 % of the rooms full of people. thatīs for hotel business a wonderful mark. And they have shut down NPBC in the first years during winter. That was in times where the attendance was very low.

The effect of TSPL is - if that matter here - in 2011...that was last year...not now...the 2012 effect can be the 20th. But they started it not in the first fiscal period so you donīt see any effect of it by now.

Maybe it sometimes helps just to get first a look at the figures:
    http://corporate.disneylandparis.com...ation-2012.pdf

...and now we see the true effects of it all. They are shutting down some the most important attractions in Disneyland and some in the Walt Disney Studios Park.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Quote Originally Posted by blondiemouse72 View Post
    In response to your post about poorly run queues-Crush what a disaster !!!We went back to dlp for the first time in 10 years last year and having been to Anaheim 6 times and to wdw once as well I couldn't believe they would operate that policy.No single rider why ? it makes the queue SHORTER not longer.No one from my family wanted to ride so I was forced to be cattle hearded on my own for 70 minutes while (shell?) shell after shell was sent out with 3 riders and an empty space>yet when I got to the front of the line having had to wait as long as those folks...I had to have a stranger sit next to me.The subs are way better anyway-in your face Paris
    And the larger issue is the complete lack of focus on efficiency. Having been to DLP since it opened, my last trip in July was a shock. BTMR running only 2 trains, Phantom Manor operating one lift, Crush's Coaster with the VIP queue that made the regular queue take forever, and worse for the bottom line, long, slow food lines. 45 minutes to get a tray of food with only 10 people in front of me. Everywhere I turned I was amazed at the disregard for the customer. Fastpass machines that were broken with a huge queue of people behind it and not a single CM in sight.

Disney parks are very different from amusement parks, but the management at DLP doesn't get that. It is almost like Michael Eisner is still in charge. He was the brainchild behind WDSP and DCA and he hired idiots, like Paul Pressler, who didn't get it either.

DLP is throwing money away because they don't provide the level of service that allows people to do more shopping, buy more food, anything other than standing in queues. The location of the park is not the issue. The population concentration within two hours of the park is excellent. The problem is mismanagement! When you can buy a coke cheaper at DLP than you can on the streets of Paris, something is wrong. Allowing people to bring in their han and cheese sandwiches and picnic in the park is a good way to through away profit.

I love DLP. It is sad to see it mismanaged. The best thing to happen to the park is to bring over an army of CMs and management from the U.S. and reteach them how to run the park. The DLP CMs need to be retrained to be courteous and efficient. The DLP management needs to be fired. The European culture of unions, rules, status, etc. is killing DLP. Live by Walt's principles of Safety, Courtesy, Show, Efficiency. That is what is needed! Put people in charge who get it, not people who have been given a position and title.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Brunswick View Post
    I don't know whether this is true or not but I seem to recall reading or hearing somewhere that one of the reasons why DLP's location was chosen was because of a personal connection to Walt's life story: that his ancestors came from that region and that he was there as an ambulance driver during WWI.
    I believe it played a minor part. True he did go through Marne-la-Vallée (and the surname could originate from d'Isgney) but I think it was more coincidental than anything else. Perhaps only really something that the marketing department were able to utilise.

There's the other version that it was chosen because Mrs. Eisner loved to shop in Paris.. but I think it was chosen in part due to the deal they got from the Government at the time (for road infrastructure etc.) plus the under construction EuroTunnel creating an additional connection to the UK as well as the Eurostar service eventually linking up with the rest of Europe.

OK, so the south of France or Spain would have provided better weather, but I have the feeling that if EuroDisneyland (as was) had have been constructed there, with the seven hotels and the management 'issues' that we have seen, its possible that the resort/EuroDisney SCA could be in the exact same boat.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by blondiemouse72 View Post
    In response to your post about poorly run queues-Crush what a disaster !!! ...... .The subs are way better anyway-in your face Paris
    Erm .... no they are not. The subs was the most disappointing ride in the whole of DL IMO. Without the wit of the original 20000 Leagues commentary, it was plain boring. Crush is a thrill ride with dark ride elements and delivers perfectly.

Although the capacity is ridiculously low.

Ok... so mybe I should have an opinion on the actual topic of this thread too...

Blah blah blah too optimistic with seven hotels blah blah blah not America rhubarb rhubarb Band Aid solutions waffle blah waffle mismanaged.

I've been away for six months and things are still the same. I am a firm believer in concentrating on the positive of which DLP has many. Things are improving slightly with the new night time show, mainatainance seeming to have moved up the priority list and the eventual addition of Ratatouille (which is bound to be a massive disappointment) but ALL service industries are suffering at the moment and DLP will also be suffering through the ridiculous price rises and additional costs involved in travelling there.

---------- Post added 08-06-2012 at 01:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
    And the larger issue is the complete lack of focus on efficiency. Having been to DLP since it opened, my last trip in July was a shock. BTMR running only 2 trains, Phantom Manor operating one lift, Crush's Coaster with the VIP queue that made the regular queue take forever, and worse for the bottom line, long, slow food lines. 45 minutes to get a tray of food with only 10 people in front of me. Everywhere I turned I was amazed at the disregard for the customer. Fastpass machines that were broken with a huge queue of people behind it and not a single CM in sight.

Disney parks are very different from amusement parks, but the management at DLP doesn't get that. It is almost like Michael Eisner is still in charge. He was the brainchild behind WDSP and DCA and he hired idiots, like Paul Pressler, who didn't get it either.

DLP is throwing money away because they don't provide the level of service that allows people to do more shopping, buy more food, anything other than standing in queues. The location of the park is not the issue. The population concentration within two hours of the park is excellent. The problem is mismanagement! When you can buy a coke cheaper at DLP than you can on the streets of Paris, something is wrong. Allowing people to bring in their han and cheese sandwiches and picnic in the park is a good way to through away profit.

I love DLP. It is sad to see it mismanaged. The best thing to happen to the park is to bring over an army of CMs and management from the U.S. and reteach them how to run the park. The DLP CMs need to be retrained to be courteous and efficient. The DLP management needs to be fired. The European culture of unions, rules, status, etc. is killing DLP. Live by Walt's principles of Safety, Courtesy, Show, Efficiency. That is what is needed! Put people in charge who get it, not people who have been given a position and title.

I agree with many of your points but are you seriously suggesting that DLP does not charge enough for its food and drink?! My suggestion to them would be to lower their prices and make a smaller margin on higher volume sales. This goes for merchandise too where I truly believe people are more than ever able to recognise over-priced crap. Personally I don't mind buying crap as long as it is reasonabley priced and would rather go thirsty than pay four euros for a drink.
    Last edited by nathan detroit; 08-06-2012 at 03:59 AM.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    I agree with many of your points but are you seriously suggesting that DLP does not charge enough for its food and drink?! My suggestion to them would be to lower their prices and make a smaller margin on higher volume sales. This goes for merchandise too where I truly believe people are more than ever able to recognise over-priced crap. Personally I don't mind buying crap as long as it is reasonabley priced and would rather go thirsty than pay four euros for a drink.
    Disney should lower the prices for food and beverages and raise the ticket price by 2 to 5 Euros. Isn't the Hopper Ticket around 70 Euros per day? Compared to other Disney resorts, it's low. Or am I wrong on that?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
    Disney should lower the prices for food and beverages and raise the ticket price by 2 to 5 Euros. Isn't the Hopper Ticket around 70 Euros per day? Compared to other Disney resorts, it's low. Or am I wrong on that?
    The difference with DLP is that the majority of guests (or at least a large portion) get their park tickets as part of their hotel package so the true cost of the tickets are lost on them. However these people make up a pretty captive audience and I think that they would be likely to spend more if the prices were lowered. However I still cannot grasp how this is such a massive loss even with the current pricing structure - the profit margin percentage on everything they sell within the resort must be in the hundreds.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

We will have to disagree on which ride is better Frank but a slight misquoting there kind of suggests I was saying Crush the ride is a disaster while it is the ride queue I was commenting on

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    The difference with DLP is that the majority of guests (or at least a large portion) get their park tickets as part of their hotel package so the true cost of the tickets are lost on them. However these people make up a pretty captive audience and I think that they would be likely to spend more if the prices were lowered. However I still cannot grasp how this is such a massive loss even with the current pricing structure - the profit margin percentage on everything they sell within the resort must be in the hundreds.
    Disney is raising the hotel package prices each year, attendance is stable in recent years and still there is no profit. Anpther problem is the quality. Except for the table service restaurants, and even there it could be better, the food is really bad at DLP. There's no variety, nearly every restaurant serves the same, either burgers or pizza. Why should I eat at Disney, when there's a Starbucks or an Earl of Sandwich with better choices. And vegetarians are left out and so we only eat once at Agrabah Cafe when we are at DLRP. WDW is a much better option for us when it comes to food.

And don't forget the merchandise. Every shop sells the same stuff. So people can't spend more money on that, because of the small selection. During our last four visits we spent 200 Euros for merchandise. But we could have spent so much more, but there is nothing to buy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123