Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entrance to WDS

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool Entrance to WDS

Question, how does the entrance to Walt Disney Studios Paris work...

You enter a soundstage with a movie being shot inside, or it's kind of like World Bazaar (an indoor Main Street USA)???

Does anybody have pictures? The entrance to Disney's California Adventure is very boring and I wondered if this type of theme park entrance works well to build up the excitement of what's to see in the park.

• is satisfactual.

Re: Entrance to WDS

Through an ornate set of gates, you enter a nice plaza that's slightly Spanish Colonial Revival and very yellow. There's an animate fountain, palm trees and the sight of the Earfel (is there an appropriate spelling?) Tower. As a warped version of Walt Disney's "weenie", here we find Studio 1, a colossal yellow soundstage right ahead of us. Inside is a glitzy cliche Hollywood street built up of more cliches and very obvious sets attached to robust hardware. A few shops and facilities are on either side, a faux starry sky is above us, vistas of an endless Hollywood street bathed in the light of a sunset and searchlights are above the entrances.

Now here's the thing. At this point, a certain amount of expectation builds up. You've seen the trailer and it looked very nice, so surely the actual film will be great?
    Then you step outside Studio 1 and find yourself staring at absolutely nothing. Like with every single Jim Carrey film, all the good jokes were in the trailer.

So does it work? With a nice park attached to it, surely. I imagine.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 12-28-2005 at 03:07 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots
    Like with every single Jim Carrey film, all the good jokes were in the trailer.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots
    Like with every single Jim Carrey film, all the good jokes were in the trailer.
    Lmao. Nice.

• Diamond In The Rough

I know it gets mentioned a lot, but the most telling thing about Studio 1 is that as soon as you leave it to enter the park proper you're confronted by the "Partners" statue pointing you back inside!

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaJay18
    I know it gets mentioned a lot, but the most telling thing about Studio 1 is that as soon as you leave it to enter the park proper you're confronted by the "Partners" statue pointing you back inside!
    People always joke about the statue pointing towards the exit in this park, but isn't the statue at other Disneylands also pointing to the exit, or at least, the way you came in?

• Diamond In The Rough

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    isn't the statue at other Disneylands also pointing to the exit, or at least, the way you came in?
    True, it does point the way you came in, but it's also at the far end of Main St and has a castle as a backdrop. At WDS it's the only thing you see amid the concrete as soon as you step outside...

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• Rock The World

True, it's the very first piece of the park you come across, and it's not very encouraging.
    Off the subject, PeaJay, I love the David Tennant quote. Long live the Tenth Doctor!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

So move the partners to the DISNEYLAND PARIS hub.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    So move the partners to the DISNEYLAND PARIS hub.
    I have a few problems with the statue, but I always thought it made more sense for Mr. Disney to be pointing towards the castle from Town Square and not pointing to the exit from Central Plaza.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

He's right, the directive should read: put Walt and Mickey in Town Square at all MK style parks, effective 1/2/06.

• Rock The World

I couldn't agree more. Putting the statue in the middle of the Hub would prevent DLRP from staging the various seasonal events that usually have their own centrepieces there, such as the recent Carnivals and the giant Halloween pumpkin.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

YEs but he is not realy pointing to the exit...and since Main Street is designed for you to be focusing down the street to the castle having an important staute face the other way doesn't work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    YEs but he is not realy pointing to the exit...and since Main Street is designed for you to be focusing down the street to the castle having an important staute face the other way doesn't work at all.
    I respectfully disagree.

I've photographed the statue from behind, and it looks great that way. Guests would also face the statue when they leave The Magic Kingdom.

That location would create a much more interesting effect for a multitude of reasons, and such an orientation would actually be more in keeping with the idea of the sculptor, Blaine Gibson.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    Question, how does the entrance to Walt Disney Studios Paris work...

You enter a soundstage with a movie being shot inside, or it's kind of like World Bazaar (an indoor Main Street USA)???

Does anybody have pictures? The entrance to Disney's California Adventure is very boring and I wondered if this type of theme park entrance works well to build up the excitement of what's to see in the park.
    Hey Adventurer... if you visit my DLP Xmas album on Epson...

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...3&a=31980376&f=

The first 20 or so pics are from around the WDSP main entrance plaza and soundstage. Note you enter the park thru a gated turnstyles into an outdoor plazs, feat a fountain of Fantasia Mickey in the center court. Studio Store to the left and Guest services and photo shop to the right. The soundstage is straight ahead. You enter the soundtage and (as you said) the feel is like an indoor Main Street... but it's more like walking thru a set of an art deco street, complete with shops on the left side and reaturants on the right side. Check out the photos.. Once you exit the other side of the soundstage, you are back outdoors inside the Studios with "Partners" just outside. From this point, you can go either left or right to experience the studios park.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast