Illustration: Re-Inventing WDSP

About a year ago I shared a plan for re-working WDSP into a unique, non-Studio park: here

This is my illustrative version of that plan:

I also took the opportunity today to illustrate how I think the Paris version of Tower of Terror could have some changes/additions made to its exterior to improve its verticality and let it soar:

Hope you enjoy.

Re: Illustration: Re-Inventing WDSP

Thanks for the concept art. That would be exactly my kind of themepark I want to see in Paris. No stupid character tie ins, like TSPL. Sadly it will never happen in Paris.

• Not here to help

Itīs just as good as all the others... superb! Disney would be crazy not to steal ideas from you.

But it might make some of those WDS fans angry. They even have a website of their own that celebrates the way WDS looks today. They even state that not even TDS has itīs own website...
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

I like your designs and your idea to make WDS bigger and create a more "challenging" park, but I think that it needs a theme for the park itself. I mean, every disney park around the world has one theme, one own-idea which makes it different from the others; Epcot (Science and technology), California Adventure (California and it attractions), Disneysea (the oceans and ports around the world), DHS (movie-making and hollywood), Animal Kingdom (natural life).

I really like the theme-lands you designed, but the park wouldn't be more than that, a group of lands without connection. I think a disney park needs to have one special "atmosphere", and the lands must be planned in relation to that "atmosphere". It's only my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzabar77 View Post
    I like your designs and your idea to make WDS bigger and create a more "challenging" park, but I think that it needs a theme for the park itself. I mean, every disney park around the world has one theme, one own-idea which makes it different from the others; Epcot (Science and technology), California Adventure (California and it attractions), Disneysea (the oceans and ports around the world), DHS (movie-making and hollywood), Animal Kingdom (natural life).

I really like the theme-lands you designed, but the park wouldn't be more than that, a group of lands without connection. I think a disney park needs to have one special "atmosphere", and the lands must be planned in relation to that "atmosphere". It's only my opinion.
    Hey Thanks. I got into an interesting debate on this last year, when someone was making the exact point you are. My general position is that Disneyland itself has no central theme - and that's perfectly fine (often works better than parks with an underlying theme).

The way I see it, theme parks and their composite lands exist across a thematic spectrum with "strictly-themed" at one end and "loosely-themed" at the other. STRICT attempts to connect the lands & attractions to an underlying vision. Examples include DisneySea, original EPCOT Center, Animal Kingdom, etc. LOOSE brings together random lands without an attempt at a connective tissue. Examples include Islands of Adventure and all five of the Disneyland-style parks. Both Strictly & Loosely-themed parks can be great. It all depends on execution.

Disneyland has been the theme park paradigm for so long, one might assume that there is a specific overarching theme to the park: Disney. But there isn't any underlying connection among Disneyland’s lands, other than they all fall under “Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy” (a blanket which could (and has) cover virtually anything one can imagine) or "Stuff Walt Disney was interested in." I don’t know if an overarching theme for DL was intended by Walt or the designers.

For example, if Disneyland had opened in 1955 with, say, a Mythologyland (with a Parthenon replacing the castle), a World Holiday Land, a Big City USA, a Hollywoodland and an Oceanland, in place of the existing lands that have become part of the public consciousness, there would be no real difference in what makes Disneyland, Disneyland – at least with respect to the broad and arbitrary connectiveness of each of the lands (i.e. there is none).

Still, I think there is a loose underlying theme to this park, moreso than Disneyland: the mysterious rotating Portal at the park's center, which is a "gateway" that has opened imaginative worlds representing those classic Disney umbrellas: Yesterday (Hollywood/Adventure Bay), Tomorrow(Cyfy City) & Fantasy (Marvel, Pixar, Castlevania)
    Last edited by RandySavage; 06-27-2012 at 01:22 PM.

• Sock Puppet

This is a VERY impressive drawing! You are so talented, You should be an IMAGINEER! Keep the great drawings coming!