Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Disney + Menken fan

Re: [Breaking News] Walt Disney Co. Considers Buyout of Struggling Disneyland Paris

Pleaseeeeeeee
    "Fish are friends! NOT food!"
    ~Finding Nemo

• Minion

Re: [Breaking News] Walt Disney Co. Considers Buyout of Struggling Disneyland Paris

If ED SCA is a money vacuum (which it currently is), I don't see why they (the French govt.) couldn't amend the original treaty/law regarding foreign ownership, allowing DIS to buy them out. This would turn the situation from a lose-lose, to a win-win: Cash-rich DIS can pay down the debt, rescue & reform the resort, especially WDSP - "a brand eyesore" as Iger would call it - under better financial conditions, and the French shareholders would be freed from further losses.

• Cool Yule

Sounds almost too good to be true. Here's hoping it all goes through and they can start righting this ship.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Not here to help

This is the first good news ever since DLP opened.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Armchair Imagineer

I really hope that Disney would finally realize how bad their decision to locate in Paris (I love Paris, but the weather can be awful) as opposed to Portugal or Spain. Why not simply sell the entire resort to a European group with the requisite expertise (similar to the Oriental Land Company for TDL) and just take a percentage of the ticket sales?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    I really hope that Disney would finally realize how bad their decision to locate in Paris (I love Paris, but the weather can be awful) as opposed to Portugal or Spain. Why not simply sell the entire resort to a European group with the requisite expertise (similar to the Oriental Land Company for TDL) and just take a percentage of the ticket sales?
    Who in Europe would have the experience to run such an operation (not that the Oriental Land Company had any)? This though is pretty much what is supposed to be the case, except that The Walt Disney Company controls the group.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Who in Europe would have the experience to run such an operation (not that the Oriental Land Company had any)?
    Nobody.

This though is pretty much what is supposed to be the case, except that The Walt Disney Company controls the group.
    The Walt Disney Company is rumored to buy Disneyland Paris and not to sell it. That's the reason why Meg Crofton has now something to do with Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World and Disneyland Paris.

• Minion

I hope that Disney isn't over-thinking their abilities. Sure, turning DCA from flop to hit was no small feat, but turning over the neighbor to Disneyland Anaheim is completely different from turning over an entire resort.

• Cool Yule

^Excellent point. The issues with DCA were nothing really compared to Paris' problems. Then again, they know what needs doing, not only from the lessons learnt in California but also the other resorts, and would no doubt be having a battle plan drawn up if they do eventually complete the buyout. Something which I'm sure will probably cause a fair bit of excitement at WDI (and their Parisian counterparts).

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• DisneyParks Fan

Right... More than 15 millions guests per year... Paris the most visited city in the world!

Hi, I'm a french who tries to speak in English! Please forgive me for the horrible mistakes I make. And don't hesitate to correct me :-) Thank you!

Portugal and Spain? No way. I agree the wetter is better, but financially it would be a disaster. The wealth in Europe is mainly found in the northern parts. Think of how well it went with Universal and Paramount in Spain in the past.

Just ticket sales? That just would not do for WDC. That is not how it works. Do not forget the licensefees which has to be paid. Also by OLC.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandParis View Post
    Right... More than 15 millions guests per year... Paris the most visited city in the world!
    ...and still they have failed like no other company before.

Everyones hopes for this to be true is just one of many signs of that. Perhaps one day DLP will be a true Disneyland and not just a pimped out themepark.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Paris was the right choice and there are several reasons for that. One of the main reasons was that it is very easy to get there from nearly every city in Central Europe. It's a two hours train ride from London, nearly every German city has a high speed connection to Paris and highways also connect very well with Paris. And don't forget Paris is the most visited city in Europe.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fultimate View Post
    The Walt Disney Company is rumored to buy Disneyland Paris and not to sell it. That's the reason why Meg Crofton has now something to do with Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World and Disneyland Paris.
    That really had nothing to do with this rumor. The Walt Disney Company has always effectively controlled Euro Disney SCA.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    I hope that Disney isn't over-thinking their abilities. Sure, turning DCA from flop to hit was no small feat, but turning over the neighbor to Disneyland Anaheim is completely different from turning over an entire resort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    ^Excellent point. The issues with DCA were nothing really compared to Paris' problems. Then again, they know what needs doing, not only from the lessons learnt in California but also the other resorts, and would no doubt be having a battle plan drawn up if they do eventually complete the buyout. Something which I'm sure will probably cause a fair bit of excitement at WDI (and their Parisian counterparts).
    The biggest hurdle is the debt. The Walt Disney Company clearly has cash and assets that could be used as collateral while simultaneously funding new investments that only increase/defer payment of the debt load.

That really had nothing to do with this rumor. The Walt Disney Company has always effectively controlled Euro Disney SCA.

The biggest hurdle is the debt. The Walt Disney Company clearly has cash and assets that could be used as collateral while simultaneously funding new investments that only increase/defer payment of the debt load.
    If that had something to do with Meg Crofton overseeing DLP, then TWDC could have bought ED SCA last year when they announced the new management.

Buying Disneyland doesn't mean that TWDC has to repay the debts. I think they will keep them for a while, because of tax advantages. Eventually Disney will repay the debts, but I don't think that will happen immediately after the buy out.

I hope I'm wrong, but I still think it's not going to happen that ED SCA is bought by Disney. However it's a great story worth to discuss.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast