Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Horrible Disneyland Paris Experience

Just for kicks try my advice in France. See if suddenly everyone goes from "rude" to "friendly" just by following the local customs.

My wife can walk very short distances without a chair. Obviously, navigating a park as huge as the Magic Kingdom is a different matter. Also, we have never had a wheelchair issue at a Disney park before. Finally, when parties with disability issues bring up problems such as we had, please don't jump to conclusions and second-guess. Listen, and help. Someday it might be you, or someone you love, who needs special attention. Unless you've experienced first-hand the obstacles faced by people with disabilities, you will have no idea how challenging it is. That's all we ask. Thanks.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'm guessing there was no way to rent you a wheelchair if you weren't inside the park, and rather than humoring you with faux condolences like Americans would do, the French CMs were more direct and to the point.

You're making a big assumptions there. We are always very polite. We use the local language as often as possible. (My wife and I speak German, and a little bit of other languages. My son speaks Spanish.) I open doors for people. We smile. I offer to take pictures for families, so dad can be in the picture. (I'm a former WDW cast member.) I offer assistance to people in need. I can honestly say we make a great effort to be good citizens of the world.

Is getting "booed" (by members of an attraction audience) because we announce we are from the United States a local custom? Is getting repeatedly cut in front of our wheelchair a local custom? Is acting put upon by people with special needs a local custom? (We, for example, are very aware of people with strollers and wheelchairs. Because we live it.) We were polite and cognizant of our surroundings from the start. Trite answers are rarely the answer to a problem. You may want to to consider this, just for kicks... Thank you.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'm not saying you're impolite. I'm saying you are American, and you come with a different set of baggage.

I'm very polite, too, and I figured this out living in France.

BTW, I also tried volunteering to take family pictures for strangers at Disneyland Paris and I got a puzzled look and a "Non, merci". Every time. People over there just don't mingle with strangers or strike up conversations easily with people they don't know.

Wow, you're turning out to be a real piece of work, CaliforniaAdventurer. A) We have NEVER had a problem with wheelchairs at a Disney park before. B) We did look into renting chairs elsewhere. The earliest we could get one was 2 days later. (Why didn't we contact the rental place earlier? See letter A.). C) I don't know what you mean by faux condolences. Disneyland and WDW have always been incredibly helpful. They are extremely attentive to the needs of people with disabilities. As I've said repeatedly, we have never had a problem with wheelchairs at Disney parks before.

Someday, if you ever find yourself in a wheelchair or with some other disability, I hope you never encounter people with attitudes like yours. Why all the hate and sarcasm? Try building people up, instead of tearing them down. You might enjoy it. Also, the world will be a much better place...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki God View Post
    Trite answers are rarely the answer to a problem. You may want to to consider this, just for kicks... Thank you.
    Wow, you're turning out to be a real piece of work, CaliforniaAdventurer.

Someday, if you ever find yourself in a wheelchair or with some other disability, I hope you never encounter people with attitudes like yours. Why all the hate and sarcasm? Try building people up, instead of tearing them down. You might enjoy it. Also, the world will be a much better place...
    Funny enough your personality is grating on Micechat, too.

As everyone has told you, the CM did nothing wrong. You could have checked a wheelchair for free on the plane. You could have rented one elsewhere. You have a problem with the CMs and other customers in the stores. And now you throw in being "booed" by the audience for being American?

Drop the personal attacks. You're being booed by this audience, too.

Exactly where else was my personality grating, CA?

I gave very logical and reasonable answers to the things you just mentioned. You just chose to ignore them. I was addressing the poorly thought-out comments & inferences you made to me. (How were they not personal attacks?) I stand by defending all people with disabilities. Further discussion with you is absolutely pointless. Peace.

• Senior Minion

Wow. After 20 years of waiting, I finally make it to Disneyland Paris, only to have my wife, son and I be bombarded with rude, anti-American attitudes and rude guest service. We came here as Disney fans, wanting to commune with Disney fans from other parts of the world. Instead we get the worst Disney experience of our lives. Very depressing. Love the park, though. Plus, having a disabled person in our party only made things worse. My wife was treated like a leper because she needed extra help and patience with her wheelchair. The night before our first day in the park I went to Guest Relations to ask about getting a wheel chair. After a friendly smile and a "Bon Jour" from me, I ask the cast member what I need to do to get a wheelchair, since my wife can't take the long walk to the park entrance. She responds with a look of indifference and a curt: "You have to rent it in the park." I point out that the park is going to close soon, and that we are not going into the park until the following morning. "Is there some way I can get the chair without having to pay to get into the park?". "Impossible" is the reply. Not the slightest bit of empathy or helpfulness. It was if i ruined her day just by talking to her. I had to pay for an extra day on my ticket so I could enter the park, rent a wheel chair, and exit the park 10 minutes later. But I HAD no other choice. My wife had to have the wheel chair for the next morning. This would NOT have happened in Disneyland USA or Walt Disney World. And things only got worse when we tried to get on the attractions. (Another story for another post.). Well we got a healthy dose of reality on this trip. Disappointing!
    You're not the only one treated rudely by Disneyland Paris CMs on this issue. From the comments section of "In Defense of the Disney Guest Assistance Card" on MiceAge comes this:

Quote Originally Posted by kimbyslice
    We had a horrible experience in Disneyland Paris with the GAC card. We were traveling with my mom, my aunt, my brother and my 78 year old grandfather with extremely bad knees. After two weeks of traveling Europe my grandfather could no longer walk for more than a few minutes, even while using his cane, so we rented a wheelchair for the remainder of our trip. When we arrived at Disneyland Paris, with my grandfather in his wheelchair, it took them 15 minutes just to let us into the park, even though there was no wait at the turnstiles. They had to have a supervisor of some sort come over to unlock the gate so he could fit through.

When we headed over to guest services, the asked if we had a doctor’s note proving that my grandfather was handicapped (old man, in a non-disney wheelchair) and when we replied with a negative, they asked if we could have his doctor fax a note. No!?!? We’re from California and with the time differences it would be near impossible to reach his doctor, not to mention using a cell phone for an international call. The guest relations woman, sighed and clicked away and finally told us she was making an exception just for us and not to expect it again but that the GAC would only be good for my grandfather, plus one person.

Not wanting to ruin the trip, my mom and aunt sent my brother and I off so we could explore the parks and they went around with my grandfather, but at each attraction one of them would have to wait outside or do the standby (or single rider) line and hope that they would both finish the attraction around the same time. Ultimately they made the best of the trip but it definitely soured our entire experience of Disneyland Paris. I guess the one positive is that their stringency does cut down on those who abuse the system, but I can’t imagine that every handicapped person travels around with a doctor’s note to prove that they are disabled. I doubt this policy would be accepted in the United States.
    The experiences of the OP and the MiceAge comment poster above are really no surprise, considering the huge number of complaints on the internet about bad customer service at Disneyland Paris.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-01-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Under that tree again!

France lacks the ADA. They have stairs everywhere and few ramps.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Sadly for the disabled, Disneyland Paris is in France - and it follows French laws and customs.

Its still the Old World - or America 30 years ago, for that matter.

This highlights how expecting everything to be "normal" because you're on Disney property overseas can be a disappointment when one forgets they ARE overseas. Still. At Disney.

Now, can the park better serve their disabled guests? If so I'm all for suggestions that we can propose to DLP management.

But constructively and not by placing blame at the front line CMs in France.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

If this thread is to remain open, and some of the posters in here hope to maintain their member status, the personal attack posts, the presumptive posts, the posts that seem to have an agenda that is not related to this subject, and all the other posts that break our rules need to stop at this moment.

To be clear . . . you are not allowed to attack other members. If there is a rule they have broken, report the post to the mod lounge using the "report post" link at the bottom left of ever post. Never, ever attempt to hand out judgement in public on our boards.

If you cannot post without calling the character of others into question, then please leave this conversation, without further comment.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

The experiences of the OP and the MiceAge comment poster above are really no surprise, considering the huge number of complaints on the internet about bad customer service at Disneyland Paris.
    But it has nothing to do with bad customer service. It's down to Disneyland Paris and its policy on the disabled/wheelchair users. The post you shared even mentions how the Cast Member made an exception for this particular person. Lets not get confused between rude service and Cast Members following company procedure. The big issue like I have stated from the start is nothing to do with rude service but Disneyland Paris and its policy on users in wheelchairs and how it apparently differs from those Disney Parks in the United States.

I'm hoping this thread remains open because it can provide some valuable information to the readers here.

For example...that for disabled guests, there is no equivalent of the ADA in France, so prepared to bring your own mobility devices and deal with some hassles. Also bring a doctor's note if you need a GAC.

Also, be prepared to deal with some of the eccentricities of the local culture. What a previous poster noted about saying "Hello, sir/madam" before waiting for an acknowledgement and a response is good advice (I took a few French courses in college and that was one thing the instructors all stressed...if you do not greet someone in France properly and wait for a response, they will probably get downright rude with you!). Although you think that Disneyland Paris, being an international tourist destination, would be a little more relaxed about its etiquette.

As for the woman throwing things in the shop...I live in a international tourist city. I've seen shoving, rude behavior, and mentally unbalanced of people of all nationalities throw things. I'm not going to exclusively blame the culture here for this one, but the individual.

OP, keep posting. I think we would benefit from all kinds of different reviews here, even bad ones.

By the way... the other reason we needed the chair the night before our first day in the park is that we had dinner reservations in the Disney Village. We ate at King Ludwig's Castle. Nice theming, except for the rock music being played in the background. Yes, I realize it's not a Disney restaurant.
    This restaurant is fully owned and managed by Euro Disney.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast