Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Horrible Disneyland Paris Experience

Wow. After 20 years of waiting, I finally make it to Disneyland Paris, only to have my wife, son and I be bombarded with rude, anti-American attitudes and rude guest service. We came here as Disney fans, wanting to commune with Disney fans from other parts of the world. Instead we get the worst Disney experience of our lives. Very depressing. Love the park, though. Plus, having a disabled person in our party only made things worse. My wife was treated like a leper because she needed extra help and patience with her wheelchair. The night before our first day in the park I went to Guest Relations to ask about getting a wheel chair. After a friendly smile and a "Bon Jour" from me, I ask the cast member what I need to do to get a wheelchair, since my wife can't take the long walk to the park entrance. She responds with a look of indifference and a curt: "You have to rent it in the park." I point out that the park is going to close soon, and that we are not going into the park until the following morning. "Is there some way I can get the chair without having to pay to get into the park?". "Impossible" is the reply. Not the slightest bit of empathy or helpfulness. It was if i ruined her day just by talking to her. I had to pay for an extra day on my ticket so I could enter the park, rent a wheel chair, and exit the park 10 minutes later. But I HAD no other choice. My wife had to have the wheel chair for the next morning. This would NOT have happened in Disneyland USA or Walt Disney World. And things only got worse when we tried to get on the attractions. (Another story for another post.). Well we got a healthy dose of reality on this trip. Disappointing!
    "Quit talking while I am interrupting..."

Visit my bluegrass band's web site at: www.monroecrossing.com

Re: Horrible Disneyland Paris Experience

By the way... the other reason we needed the chair the night before our first day in the park is that we had dinner reservations in the Disney Village. We ate at King Ludwig's Castle. Nice theming, except for the rock music being played in the background. Yes, I realize it's not a Disney restaurant.

• Under that tree again!

If her condition requires a wheelchair why didn't you have one with you?

At DLR you would have to bring one with you or rent one from an outside vendor or from one of the Disney hotels. The ones rented at the park can't be taken outside security.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

You should have told them you're from Canada.

Just kiddin'!

That is absolutely horrid service. I hope it didn't impact the rest of your trip too badly.

Way too expensive to bring a chair on the plane. We use airport wheelchairs, taxis, and golf carts to get her from place to place. DLRP wheelchairs (once you get them!) can be used throughout the resort. As for the rude cast member behavior, that should be inexcusable at any Disney resort.
    "Quit talking while I am interrupting..."

Visit my bluegrass band's web site at: www.monroecrossing.com

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki God View Post
    This would NOT have happened in Disneyland USA or Walt Disney World. And things only got worse when we tried to get on the attractions. (Another story for another post.). Well we got a healthy dose of reality on this trip. Disappointing!
    So your telling me that both Disneyland and Walt Disney World would have allowed you to enter the park for free to pick up a wheelchair? Anyway instead of complaining about the Cast Member on Disney Message Boards perhaps you should take the time to write an e-mail to the company to complain about the policy in place here and how it allegedly differs from US policy. You also complain about being treated with anti American-attitudes and yet the tone in which your post comes across its very anti-European. I know the customer service isn't always that outstanding at WDW either. So please don't paint the US Parks in such a favourable light.

A) I will contact the Disney company. And isn't the message board a place to discuss Disney experiences?
    B) At BOTH Disneyland & WDW you CAN get wheelchairs outside of the park. You cannot in Paris. That IS a problem for disabled people. Should I assume that you are anti-disabled? I won't jump to that conclusion, though.
    C) RE: Europe. I LOVE Europe. I have been here for a month already. I have to the Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein and Switzerland so far. I have had nothing but positive experiences. Europe is awesome. That's why I come here every 2 years.
    D) By pointing out problems at the DLRP, that makes me anti-Europe? Don't get that...
    E) Finally, my comments were " a smile and a bon jour" and wanting to "commune with Disney fans from other parts of the world". How does that translate into anti-European?
    F) The only statement I made about the US parks is that they wouldn' t have allowed the wheelchair fiasco to happen. That IS a fact.
    G) If you haven't visited a Disny park with a disabled person, you have no idea how difficult that can be. We can all do better. Peace.

At the risk of being labeled " anti-european"... Today, at Disney Studios Paris, I literally had an "adult" french-speaking woman push me out of the way in a gift shop. She extended her arms toward me and shoved me. My wife and son saw the whole thing. I was just standing in front of stuffed animals, looking at the prices. That's all. So I give her a "dirty look." She scowls at me and says something in french. I say "Rude." She yells at me in French. I mouth the word "b***h. Then, in ENGLISH this time, she yells something I won't repeat here. My wife, in the wheel chair, shakes her head. Then the crazed woman throws a stuffed animal at my wife. Having had enough of that kind of thing, we head back to our room for a reprieve. These kinds of events are WAY beyond anything we've experienced in our 30+ years of attending Disney parks. Why?

Blame the victim? I'm just a Disney fan trying to enjoy another Disney park. I am polite, kind and easy-going. But I will speak up when I, or someone else, is being wronged. Like people with disabilities. How does that make me an ugly American? Cultural difference? I heard that a smile means friendship to everyone! I would just like to see more civility out there in the world.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The advice I give all Americans in France: Be quiet.

When you approach someone, say hello and then be quiet. Not "Hello, I'd like..." but just "Hello." Maybe "Hello, sir" or "Hello, madam." Then nothing else.

Wait until they say hello back.

Then ask your question.

Always.

It seems strange, but it's the one thing you have to do with the French. Otherwise they think you're extremely rude for talking to them before they acknowledge you.

For getting a table. Ordering a drink. Any time any place, this is how you deal with the French.

​Interesting. That is good information. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    When you approach someone, say hello and then be quiet. Not "Hello, I'd like..." but just "Hello." Maybe "Hello, sir" or "Hello, madam." Then nothing else.

Wait until they say hello back.

Then ask your question.

Always.

It seems strange, but it's the one thing you have to do with the French. Otherwise they think you're extremely rude for talking to them before they acknowledge you.

For getting a table. Ordering a drink. Any time any place, this is how you deal with the French.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Banned User

A) I will contact the Disney company. And isn't the message board a place to discuss Disney experiences?
    B) At BOTH Disneyland & WDW you CAN get wheelchairs outside of the park. You cannot in Paris. That IS a problem for disabled people. Should I assume that you are anti-disabled? I won't jump to that conclusion, though.
    C) RE: Europe. I LOVE Europe. I have been here for a month already. I have to the Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein and Switzerland so far. I have had nothing but positive experiences. Europe is awesome. That's why I come here every 2 years.
    D) By pointing out problems at the DLRP, that makes me anti-Europe? Don't get that...
    E) Finally, my comments were " a smile and a bon jour" and wanting to "commune with Disney fans from other parts of the world". How does that translate into anti-European?
    F) The only statement I made about the US parks is that they wouldn' t have allowed the wheelchair fiasco to happen. That IS a fact.
    G) If you haven't visited a Disny park with a disabled person, you have no idea how difficult that can be. We can all do better. Peace.
    A) The Walt Disney Company are not the people you need to address this with its Disneyland Paris who are a seperate company. You'll find the contact information on its website. This board is for discussing Disney related topics your absolutely right but since your original complaint appears to be towards the wheelchair issue and the Resorts policy against this then is it right for you to turn your experience into an opportunity to complain against the Cast Members who are only doing there jobs because you don't agree with a policy that is made by the Resorts Management Team. When you use your opening post to go into great detail about how rude the French Cast Members are at the Resort and how you would never get this level of service at a US Park then sorry it can come across very anti-European.

B) The reason why I'm suggesting you write an e-mail to take this matter further and more seriously. That is in no way being anti-disabled but a way to show concern for wheelchair users and the struggles you've faced on your trip. But I don't understand why you wouldn't make a stronger statement towards this issue in your original post instead of using it as a chance to complain about all the rude people you've met.

D) I think I explained to you in A and B why I think this but I never said you were anti-European only that you came across in this manner in the reasons I listed above.

F) That might be true but it wasn't made clear in your post. The way I read it you could of been referring to the Wheelchair situation or the rude Cast Member.
    Last edited by Malin; 05-01-2013 at 11:39 AM.

• Banned User

At the risk of being labeled " anti-european"... Today, at Disney Studios Paris, I literally had an "adult" french-speaking woman push me out of the way in a gift shop. She extended her arms toward me and shoved me. My wife and son saw the whole thing. I was just standing in front of stuffed animals, looking at the prices. That's all. So I give her a "dirty look." She scowls at me and says something in french. I say "Rude." She yells at me in French. I mouth the word "b***h. Then, in ENGLISH this time, she yells something I won't repeat here. My wife, in the wheel chair, shakes her head. Then the crazed woman throws a stuffed animal at my wife. Having had enough of that kind of thing, we head back to our room for a reprieve. These kinds of events are WAY beyond anything we've experienced in our 30+ years of attending Disney parks. Why?
    Sorry I think this situation could have been handled differently by both of you here. Confrontation no matter who causes it has no place inside a family environment like Disneyland Paris.

• Minion

I'll try to be the most sensitive I can, but if your wife has a disability that requires her to use a wheelchair, why didn't you bring one with you? I work in the airline industry and it would have cost you nothing to bring the wheelchair onto the plane, they will check it below for you for free.
    Jeff Wayne

As for the bizarre encounter, I was very shocked and surprised by it. I reacted on instinct. It all happened within a matter of seconds. Once again, I did not utter any obscenities. That was the other party. I, too, believe that Disney parks should be a family environment.

As for my initial post... Our first encounter with DLRP was over the top awful. My wife (the one in the wheel chair) is a sweet and kind person. She was moved to tears by the chain of events that day and had to leave the park early. Thus my vitriol. I did not mean to be so critical. It was just that kind of day.

I very much appreciate this dialogue, Malin, and wish to continue the discussion. We absolutely love this park this park and want to leave with a positive image. So we can return soon!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast