• former CM

How'd you spend 1 billion to improve Paris' studios park?

This is the only Disney park I've been to (out of 9) that I don't like. It should be improved to compete with the incoming Paramount parks. I'm glad it's getting a Ratatouille attraction and restaurant, and I'd welcome an original Star Wars land and attraction, but if I owned Disneyland Paris the studios would get these attractions:

A "Raiders of the Lost Ark" themed indoor Jungle Cruise style ride set in a jungle at night where much of the ride would be in cave that would feature a mild white water section and/or two or three Anaheim Pirates drops--
    but a little longer since the boats would be bigger. OR, Iger, buy the rights to make a Willy Wonka boat ride.

A different Cars attraction than the one in Anaheim, perhaps with a race through city streets or a jungle with one elevated bank with views of the resort.

Soarin' Over Europe or France in 3D. 3D glasses could look like old aviator goggles. (Not my idea.) This could be wedged into the Studios theme because it's cinematic. And add a 360 Circlevision tour of France or Europe.

And knock down the ugly & depressing Hotel Santa Fe and make it a different part of the excellent Hotel Cheyenne--perhaps more like Virginia City with some three-story Victorian Western buildings. Make it easier for Americans to make reservations via phone and the internet.

Let Adventures by Disney have multiple day and overnight trips from this resort so that it could be a better hub for vacations to Paris.

What would you add if you had a billion to play with?

--Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-25-2013 at 10:11 AM.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Re: How'd you spend 1 billion to improve Paris' studios park?

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

A different Cars attraction than the one in Anaheim, perhaps with a race through city streets with one elevated bank with views of the resort.

Soarin' Over Europe or France in 3D. 3D glasses could look like old aviator goggles. (Not my idea.) This could be wedged into the Studios theme because it's cinematic. And add a 360 Circlevision tour of France or Europe.

And knock down the ugly & depressing Hotel Santa Fe and make it a different part of the excellent Hotel Cheyenne--perhaps more like Virginia City with some three story Victorian Western buildings. Make it easier for Americans to make reservations via phone and the internet.
    Are you suggesting a RSR based on Cars 2? Hmm...well that should be interesting.

For the Sante Fe hotel, they could reconvert it into a hotel similar to Art of Animation or All Stars Movies in WDW. I don't think that using all-American themes for the hotels in Paris was a wise move. I would've liked to see hotels that took on a more European or exotic theme.

As much as a Star Wars land would be good for France, I think there should be one in America first. But that is just me. Perhaps they could take out all the rides in Discoveryland that don't fit the steampunk theme (Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear) and move them over to the Studios.

Here are my other ideas for WDSP that can easily be accomplished:

Add Toy Story Mania to Toy Story Playland
    Create lagoon in the back of the park for showing Fantasmic or World of Color

I was also considering adding Mickey's Philharmagic to the Toons Studios area but they already have Animagique there.

Beyond that though, I lack any other good ideas. LOL
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• former CM

(Post replaced by the one below.)

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Are you suggesting a RSR based on Cars 2? Hmm...well that should be interesting.

For the Sante Fe hotel, they could reconvert it into a hotel similar to Art of Animation or All Stars Movies in WDW. I don't think that using all-American themes for the hotels in Paris was a wise move. I would've liked to see hotels that took on a more European or exotic theme.

As much as a Star Wars land would be good for France, I think there should be one in America first. But that is just me. Perhaps they could take out all the rides in Discoveryland that don't fit the steampunk theme (Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear) and move them over to the Studios.

Here are my other ideas for WDSP that can easily be accomplished:

Add Toy Story Mania to Toy Story Playland
    Create lagoon in the back of the park for showing Fantasmic or World of Color

I was also considering adding Mickey's Philharmagic to the Toons Studios area but they already have Animagique there.

Beyond that though, I lack any other good ideas. LOL
    No need to honor Cars 2. Just make the coolest ride with a race imaginable with those beautiful Cars vehicles that DCA has. Maybe this attraction could inspire Cars 4. If Disney were to just copy Radiator Springs Racers (Grrrr!), I'd rather they did that here than in Florida because France is a trip across N. America AND an ocean away from Anaheim. (I checked a globe.)

You're right, a hotel celebrating European architecture, like a small village, would be better.

And, Toonaspie, YES to a Toy Story Mania! They should try to top the excellent entrance at Tokyo Disney Sea that looks so amazing & dreamy at night. One Micechatter compared it to Coney Island's Luna Park in the 1920s. As much as I like Disney parks to be distinct enough to inspire us to visit more of them, I wouldn't mind if every Disney Resort had a Toy Story Mania because this attraction can be updated so easily to fit the latest interactive 3D film technology. And my participation in these games of skill makes it a little different each time.

I wouldn't mind if a World of Color there were a tribute to European music. It should be just as large though. And is should have daytime shows, not like the daytime shows at DCA, but like the ones at the Bellagio in Las Vegas.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-25-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Here's what I'd do

Disneyland

Generally refresh the park and bring up to standard - fix the decay

add a jungle book themed splash mountain to Adventureland (perfect fit and different to the other parks).

Replace star tours (moved to studios) with a new attraction based on journey to the centre of the earth at TDS

Studios

add Lucusland land backlot with two areas - Star Wars with relocated and updated star tours, Jedi academy show and small coaster based on Hoth at at attack new shops and cantina cafe. Indiana jones area with new IJA, ravenwood bar and archeological trail play area.

Marvel land. Add mystic manor type ride themed to x men mansion, an avengers themed Toy Story Mania & Spider-Man arena show spectacular based on the U2 stage musical and batman touring show. This area would also have a lagoon for the nighttime show Marvel fantastic which would be a good v evil show using marvel characters instead of classic Disney

hopefully I've not broke the bank - I've tried to use existing rides but re theme to save on cost and add more while making the paris resort a different experience from the other resorts

• Bangarang!

Excellent question OP. I'll have a go..

For starters, renovations for anything that needs it in both parks. Then:

Parc Disneyland
    - Add the originally planned Jungle Jeep Cruise to Adventureland.
    - Instead of cloning DCA's Mermaid, add a Beauty and the Beast dark ride to Fantasyland
    - Budget allowing, extend the Star Wars theme around the rear of Discoveryland. (Even though a Star Wars land would be much better for the Studios).

Studios
    - Push the Backlot Tour station to the rear of the property, construct a bigger Hollywood Blvd. that does not consist entirely out of 'flats'. No idea on what the 'weenie' would be, but it'd have to house the Tram station.

- Add a Marvel Land, just the one E-ticket with potential for further additional C/D Ticket.

- Further retheming of all sub-par areas of the park.

- Move Tapis Volents from Toon Studio to the Adventureland Bazaar. Vacant spot in Studios used for a new theatre to house the Stitch Live (or Turtle Talk). That leaves the theatre inside the TV studio for something else.

Sadly I think that's probably how far €1bn would go these days.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• former CM

As an Anglophile I'm thrilled to have TWO Disney enthusiasts from England contributing excellent posts. Just think, today Disney can ignore a live, written conversation across 8 time zones in the Northern Hemisphere!

No wonder Disney World's Carousel of Progress hasn't been kept up.

Last edited by jcruise86; 05-26-2013 at 06:00 AM.

Sadly there cant be much done (Disney Style) with 1bn. But it is something to beginn with..

Here is what i would do.!

Disneyland Park/ Fantasyland:
    Rapunzels Swing Tower and Meet & Greet.!
    The Area opposide Small World (little grassy hill) will turn into the World of Rapunzel.
    A swing tower ride like the one on the picture below will get a Rapunzel Tower theme.

Attachment 30487
    The surrounding area will get themed like in the Picture below, also in this rocky and beutiful environment
    will be the Rapunzel Meet and Greet.
    Attachment 30488

Disneyland Park/ Discoveryland
    Space Mountain - From the Earth to the Moon:
    Space Mountain will get back to its original Story, with new special effects and new Coaster Trains.
    20,000 Leagues under the sea:
    The Nautilus will be the new queue for the Ride, a copy of the one you find at TDS.
    In 80 Days around the World:
    Buzz will get out of the building, inside will be a new 360 4D experience. The Floor can move and vibrate to simulate
    a balloon flight. On the surrounding 3D screen globe you see a movie that travels around the world just in 80 days
    Special effects are a must have, like wind, fogg, lightning, rain and dont forget the smells of the different countrys...

So now i think i did spend something like 150m maybe a little less here are a few little ideas that wont be included in the budget but i like them und just wanna share it for fun ^^

Disneyland Park/ Adventureland
    Mystic Manor & Adventurers Club:
    Colonel Hathis Pizza outpost will get demolished to make space for Mystic Manor and the Adventurers Club Restaurant.
    Indiana Jones wild Boat ride:
    Between the Adventurers Club and the Indiana Jones Coaster will lead a path to a new Temple. This will be the Entrance to the new Attraction, based on the new Boat Ride system. The Story is a mix out of the Indiana Jones Adventures at DL and TDS. The Attraction itself is behind Mystic Manor and the Coaster Ride to let the Big space between POTC and the Indiana Jones coaster open for Future Attractions.

Now lets move on to spend some more Money at the Studios

Walt Disney Studios/ Toon Studios renamed to PixarPlace.
    Finding Nemo/Dory Land:
    The Rockwork from Crush Coaster will get expanded to the Flying Carpets. The whole area will get rethemed to a beautiful Coral Reef. The Carpets itself will be themed to the Sting Ray. The Coral Reef expands further to the Animagique building, here comes the Finding Nemo Musical.
    Toy Story Playand:
    The Art of Animation Building will get demolished to make room for Buzz 2.0. This Attraction will be new to the Disneyparks Worldwide. It will be a combination of two Attractions. The Vehicles are from Toy Story Mania like the 3D screens. The guns and the AAs are from the Buzz Lightyear Attraction. While you ride you have to shoot at the regular AAs and when you stop your mission is to shoot on the sceen to fight the army of Zurg.
    Also the Cars Attraction will get rethemed to the Pig..!

Walt Disney Studios/ Production Courtyard
    Hyperion Studios:
    Cinemagique and the Disney Channel Building will get Demolished and a recreation of Walts Original Studios will get build.
    Name:  mickeysmovieland1.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  36.5 KB
    This new Building will have the Art of Animation, Stitch Live, Playhouse Disney and the new Show Mickey and the Magical Map.
    Tower of Terror Theatre:
    Armageddon gets demolished to make room for a new Theatre with the architecture style of TOT. This Theatre will have Cinemagique 3D, the same movie, new effects and 3D technology.!

Walt Disney Studios
    Star Wars Land:
    The biggest budget killer. Motors Action gets demolished and here beginns the Adventure, the big Dome of coruscant will get build there and it will houses Star Tours 2. Coruscant is one of the 3 Sublands of Star Wars Land. It will also have the Jedi Academy and a Restaurant and room for expansion. The second Subland is Tatooine, here you have the mos eisley Bar/ Restaurant and a new LSM Coaster based on the Pod Race and expansion room. The third subland is Naboo, here you can find not just a beautiful landscape but also an attraction based on the Kuga ride system, remmeber the scene from episode 1 when they travel to naboo city? i think this will be amazing, just without jarjar
    All of the 3 sublands will have 1 small kiddy ride so the whole family can have fun there.!

Now i think nothing is left from the budget. 1bln more and the Studio Park would turn into a great place.!

As an Anglophile I'm thrilled to have TWO Disney enthusiasts from England contributing excellent posts. Just think, today Disney can ignore a live, written conversation across 8 time zones in the Northern Hemisphere!

No wonder Disney World's Carousel of Progress hasn't been kept up.

Thanks it's nice to talk with our cousins across the seas as well

• Not here to help

Id try to refurb Disneyland... and then ask for more money to create some additions.

For WDS Id just hire some guys and a bulldozer.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

^^^ Agreed, Timmy! It's an awful park.
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

And, Toonaspie, YES to a Toy Story Mania! They should try to top the excellent entrance at Tokyo Disney Sea that looks so amazing & dreamy at night. One Micechatter compared it to Coney Island's Luna Park in the 1920s. As much as I like Disney parks to be distinct enough to inspire us to visit more of them, I wouldn't mind if every Disney Resort had a Toy Story Mania because this attraction can be updated so easily to fit the latest interactive 3D film technology. And my participation in these games of skill makes it a little different each time.
    There was an article just released on Yesterland about all previous versions of the Toy Story ride's exteriors and queues. You can read it here: Yesterland: Toy Story Midway Mania Times Three. At the end of the article, it says, "Okay, Disneyland Paris. Now its your turn. Walt Disney Studios Park needs this ride too." The most logical spot for a French Toy Story ride is at the Toy Story Playland area of the Studios.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Resident of the Caldera

You can build 8 E-ticket rides with a billion euros (as long as one of them isn't the $300 million dollar Radiator Springs Racers).

So build five in the Studios and four in Disneyland Paris. That would change things pretty markedly.

Forget building any rides which exist mostly outside: the damn place is frequently rainy and freezing all winter. No Fantasmic, no World of Color. Waste of money.

No Jungle Cruise.
    No Splash Mountain (though this could be easily built so no water hits the passengers). They were still selling Song of the South on VHS in France in the 1980s.

Nothing that has to operate seasonally.

Now return to the drawing board:

Stars Wars land. Yes. Disneyland Paris.

Marvel Land. Yes. Disneyland Paris.

Toy Story Mania. Yes. Walt Disney Studios.

Soaring Over the World. Yes. (Have to wait until after it premieres in Shanghai at the end of 2015 for this.) Walt Disney Studios.

All guaranteed winners. And this is what you'll see in 5 or 6 years.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.