Post #SaveDisneylandParis - A petition to ask TWDC to step in

Name:  kAARxvIlwcJBqAA-556x313-noPad.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  165.4 KB

Hi, I'm the author of the article mentioned on this thread, about Disneyland Paris bad state.

In regard of this post, several Twitter folks came up with the idea of an open letter coupled with an online petition asking The Walt Disney Company to finally step in and find sustainable solutions for DLP - no quick fixes like they use(d) to do.

This probably won't make Bob Iger say something like "OMG they're so right, here you go, 2.3$ billion to solve the problem!". We just want to make our voice heard. TWDC take its european consumers for fools for 20 years and we're tired of it.

Link to petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/mr-...sneyland-paris

Here is a copy of the letter:

Dear Mr. Iger,
    When you were named Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company back in March 2005, former board members Roy E. Disney and Stanley Gold ceased their “Save Disney” Campaign, a campaign set up to restore the company’s policy to strive for excellence, a value that deeply characterises the activities of The Walt Disney Company since its creation by Walt himself.
    Thanks to your efforts, The Walt Disney Company is now operating stronger than ever. This can mostly be attributed to a series of important key events needed to solve major problems:

- The Pixar acquisition (2006)
    - Walt Disney Animation Studios’ recovery
    - The revamp and expansion of Disney California Adventure (2008-2012)
    - The Marvel Entertainment acquisition (2009)
    - Shanghai Disney Resort’s groundbreaking (2011)
    - Hong Kong Disneyland’s expansion (2011-2013)
    - The Lucasfilm acquisition (2012)

These big investments (such as the expansions of Disney California Adventure and Hong Kong Disneyland) allowed you to fix parts of the company that were in a bad state and become stronger in demographic groups that your company struggled to conquer for a long time. All of these key events have one thing in common: the quality of the product or experience. As your friend and colleague John Lasseter once said, “Quality is the best business plan”.

Unfortunately, recent developments have seriously damaged the quality of one of the world’s most beautifully designed parks: Disneyland Paris. We would like to take this opportunity to share our sincere concerns about the current state of this destination, which bears the name of your company in Europe. We have grown fond of the resort, over its relatively short lifespan, and we sincerely do not want to see it decline further.
    When Disneyland Park (then Euro Disneyland) opened its gates back in 1992, it truly was Disney's greatest achievement; a technological and artistic marvel. Its high quality shows, rides and theming proved successful with European audiences, and its guest experience was similar, if not superior, to that of Disneyland and Walt Disney World. However, due to constant financial problems, the overall quality of the experience has slowly deteriorated over the years. The many years of budget cuts in maintenance, entertainment and food and beverage, have left the resort in an unacceptable neglected state.

This year, the quality has declined even further as the situation has reached a critical point; 2013 marks the first summer season since opening with not a single stage show presented in either park. This is a first in Disneyland Paris’ history and most likely a first for Disney Parks worldwide.
    We would like to highlight the major problems of Disneyland Paris from the guest’s perspective, in the following four categories:

1. Maintenance
    The upkeep of parks, attractions and hotels has been neglected so often during the past 20 years that many facilities are not “Disney standard”. Many themed elements are decaying and crumbling, while others are literally falling apart.
    On a positive note, an extensive rehabilitation program has been put into place in recent years, aiming to fix many of the broken, outdated or deteriorated rides, effects and theming. While this indicates that Disneyland Paris’ management is seriously taking notice of its shortcomings,it only touches the tip of the iceberg. The many years of neglect have taken their toll on the most beautiful Magic Kingdom ever designed; the cost of bringing it back to its former glory is now higher than it would have been, had things been fixed sooner.

2. Budget Cuts
    The Tarzan Encounter show at the Chaparral Theater, The Legend of the Lion King show at Videopolis, and the iconic night-time parade Disney’s Fantillusion! were all cancelled this year. Meanwhile, other show venues, such as Le Théâtre du Château, have been left disused and empty for years. In addition to that, several rides as well as countless restaurants and boutiques are now open for limited hours: e.g. from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. while the park is open from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Furthermore, bad maintenance is dramatically reducing the capacity of certain attractions over time. For instance, Thunder Mesa Riverboat Landing (open from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.) has been operating with just one of the two available paddlewheel steamships for many years and a few of the roller coasters are operating with fewer trains, thus reducing capacity.

The lack of maintenance combined with the budget cuts have created a never-ending cycle of ride breakdowns, which affects all types of rides. These breakdowns, together with lowered capacity, make the park constantly overcrowded while Disneyland Paris keeps beating attendance numbers year after year; the resort welcomed 16 million guests in 2012. As a result, a day at Disneyland Paris has become a succession of walks between what is open and what is not.

3. Food
    The food offerings in the resort vary greatly, but overall the quality is never as good as what’s offered in your American parks. The majority of restaurants offer either counter service fast food or all-you-can-eat buffets. Just a small group of table service restaurants remains; initially more were available but several have been turned into counter service restaurants, such as the Explorer’s Club being turned into Colonel Hathi’s Pizza Outpost, a standard pizza restaurant.

In recent years, the quality of the food offered at the more expensive table service restaurants has been declining. Dishes of industrial pre-cooked meals are served in mere minutes after taking up the order, an indication the food was not made-to-order. The fast food offerings are steep in price and cannot compete with the better known alternatives, such as McDonald’s which is just a few minutes’ walk from the parks in Disney Village.
    What is perhaps even more concerning, besides the low food quality at premium prices, is the opening hours of some of the restaurants. When Disneyland Park closes at 11:00 p.m., you would expect to be able to have a nice evening dinner, not to discover the restaurant closed at 7:30 p.m.. These short opening hours make it impossible to book a meal for later in the day; you either have to plan ahead or settle for counter service offerings in Disneyland Park or Disney Village.

4. Walt Disney Studios Park
    The smallest Disney theme park, the only park to open without a traditional Disney dark ride, the park that is struggling with its identity; in short the park that never met the “Disney standard”. The lack of attractions, the bare environment, the unclear overall theme, the poorly designed master plan, the low capacity of the new attractions, etc., are all major issues. This park needs a serious placemaking project and a complete reevaluation of its theme to bring it up to the standards of your company.

Beyond these four main categories (Maintenance, Budget Cuts, Food, Walt Disney Studios Park), there is also plenty of work to be done on the ageing Disney Village, the mediocre-quality merchandising and its lack of diversity, and the outdated Disney Hotels that offer poor services at extremely high rates.

Mr. Iger, how many breakdowns, closed attractions, bad experiences and unhappy guests will it take for The Walt Disney Company to step in and help? We don’t understand why, after all these years of struggle, loss and bad reputation, The Walt Disney Company (owner of 40% of Euro Disney S.C.A.) hasn’t done anything to change Euro Disney’s financial structure? It was created by The Walt Disney Company and has always restricted Disneyland Paris from becoming a truly successful company without debt. Is your company OK with the fact that the Disney brand is being tarnished by the constantly decaying, yet overpriced guest experience at Disneyland Paris for 740 million European citizens? We refuse to believe that Disney intentionally wants to send their European guests home with substandard memories.

Of course, there are positive things about Disneyland Paris. The original design from 1992 is stunning, cast members are devoted and friendly, the nighttime entertainment show Disney Dreams! is amazing and the renewal of the Halloween and Christmas seasons started last year looks promising. Unfortunately, the poor operational management tarnishes these assets.

Mr. Iger, we ask you to take a good look at the operational budget for Disneyland Paris. We ask you to stop neglecting the most beautiful park ever built by your Imagineers. We ask you to restore the quality of the dining experiences, bring back live entertainment with stage shows and streetmosphere, fix broken effects and theming as soon as noticed, completely rethink the second gate and, of course, open new and exciting rides in both the Walt Disney Studios Park as well as Disneyland Park. No quick fixes, but a lasting solution to the problems that have plagued our resort since the very beginning.

Walt Disney once said that "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." Since 2005, you have brilliantly saved Disney, including the rescue programs for Disney California Adventure and Hong Kong Disneyland. We now ask you to save Disneyland Paris... for good.

Regards,

#SaveDisneylandParis
    We encourage you to copy-paster this letter and link to the petition on your favorite websites, blogs, forums and social networks. Please note that we've translated in French, Dutch, German, Spanish and Italian. Feel free to read and share the version you want on this Tumblr, on my blog or on the petition page itself.

In half a day, we already collected more than 500 signatures!

So please sign it and share it

Thanks!

http://www.leparcorama.com - Disney parks minus the magic.

Re: #SaveDisneylandParis - A petition to ask TWDC to step in

Just signed

• Banned User

just signed!

That's a really good letter, but reading the beginning made me think: What if not for those gargantuan Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm acquisitions? Think how far all that money could have gone to amazing new attractions NOT based on films in each and every park...
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

let's hope the big bosses listen to us! the real fans who love Disney...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Signed. I agree with every word in this petition. My visit a few years ago was disheartening - I could see that, if only the parks were given more TLC, it could truly rival Disneyland in Anaheim.

That picture of the seagull from Finding Nemo just says everything. That's pretty horrible. I can only imagine how many children that upsets...

The food is awful, and it's PARIS for goodness sake! Who the heck screws up a chicken sandwich? Disneyland Paris :/

The most-visited tourist site in all of Europe deserves far more premium treatment. My family that lives in Paris has always mocked my love of Disneyland. When I finally visited their theme park, I understood why. They think that the Mouse handles all of its properties the same everywhere because theirs is in disrepair. So sad.

• Disney "FREAK" since 1981

Just signed!

I am actually very sad to hear about the condition of Disney Paris. I am taking my first trip out to Paris next year, and Disneyland Paris was at the top of my list. After much research and information such as this, I think I'll spend that day elsewhere.

Thank you so much to all those who love and care about Disney as much as I do; and to those who do what they can to keep their standards up to the expectations we all know Disney deserves.

@ Addiction41999. It is still worth a visit! Next year Ratatouille will be ready, the Disneyland Mainpark is still very nice and you will love Disney Dreams!
    But there is indeed a lot of work that need to be done.

Signed, thankyou!
    First visit to a Disney Park was to Tokyo Disneyland in Oct, 2005. I was hooked! Was so blessed to visit Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea in 2009, the original Disneyland and California Adventure in 2010, Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea in 2011, and an incredible 5 night stay at Disneyland Paris in February 2013.

@ Addiction41999
    You should go to Disneyland Paris anyway to make your own opinion ! It is always good for us to have an objective opinion for someone who lives in USA about our resort.

That said, thanks for all of you guys for supporting us in this action. European Disney guests should not been considered as second-class by TWDC.

#SaveDisneylandParis

• Cool Yule

An article in the UK's Independent newspaper highlights this cause.

Disneyland Paris feels fury of disenchanted customers as more than 5,000 visitors sign petition demanding higher standards

Theme park enthusiast starts petition after being shocked by closed attractions and 're-heated food in one of the most expensive restaurants'
    Disneyland Paris feels fury of disenchanted customers as more than 5,000 visitors sign petition demanding higher standards - Crime - UK - The Independent

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Not here to help

Signed!

Please spread this to the European forums that support the state of the parks as they are today. There has to be atleast a few persons that don´t agree with the Paris version of Disneyland and the way the mistreat the park and it´s real fans.

Disneyland in Paris is not a real Disneyland. It lacks everything that makes a Disneyland what it should be. Even Hong Kong Disneyland has more heart and soul than this cold and rotting place could ever offer. It´s sad to see the castle in the middle of a mess never before seen in anything that has to do with Disney and it´s parks.

This should be the only thread on this site about DLP. Let´s keep it alive.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 09-15-2013 at 04:26 AM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I sure hope it's cleaned up by the time my son's family moves to Germany late next year. I'd like to squeeze in a visit while they are there.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

• Disneyland fan!

Just signed, plus wrote my own statement as well. This is perhaps the most pressing blight that the current Walt Disney Company needs to fix!
    Gullywhumper is back on the Rivers of America!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Signed. I agree with every word in this petition. My visit a few years ago was disheartening - I could see that, if only the parks were given more TLC, it could truly rival Disneyland in Anaheim.

That picture of the seagull from Finding Nemo just says everything. That's pretty horrible. I can only imagine how many children that upsets...

The food is awful, and it's PARIS for goodness sake! Who the heck screws up a chicken sandwich? Disneyland Paris :/

The most-visited tourist site in all of Europe deserves far more premium treatment. My family that lives in Paris has always mocked my love of Disneyland. When I finally visited their theme park, I understood why. They think that the Mouse handles all of its properties the same everywhere because theirs is in disrepair. So sad.
    I'll just say: Disney, know your customer.

The French are obsessed with food, they plan their days around picking up ingredients at home and what restaurant they're going to eat at while away. They eat LATE at night, and it has to be reasonably priced and fresh and high in quality. Then they'll enjoy the resort. They're one of the few European populations who take the majority of their vacations in their own country. Those parents with kids will come if the adult experience is quality, parents pay the bill after all and they're on vacation, too.