Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Rock The World

Smile Reasons to be Cheerful

There's no denying that times are tough for Disneyland Paris. Ever tightening budgets have resulted in lacklustre maintenance, a dearth of live entertainment and, ultimately, a high-profile fan petition that has caught the attention of the mainstream press. Reading some of the commentaries online (including Micechat), you could be forgiven for thinking the resort is in its death throes.

But it's not all bad news. Despite the ongoing problems there are still a lot of things that DLP does well and there are some very exciting projects coming our way in the next few years. So I'm setting up this thread as a place to share all our positive experiences and bits of good news. Looking forward to experiencing something at the resort? Tell us about it. Had a great encounter with a character or Cast Member? Share it with the rest of us. Just want to send some love and goodwill? That's fine too.

This isn't an attempt to sidestep the resort's troubles, but I figure they're being covered pretty thoroughly in various other threads. We deserve somewhere to share the good stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

• Rock The World

Re: Reasons to be Cheerful

I'll start with the most obvious reason - the new Ratatouille mini-land and E-ticket dark ride opening in the Studios park next year. The park is finally getting the unique, world-first E-ticket that it so badly needs. Just as important, it's finally getting a table service restaurant and what looks like a pretty large new boutique. It's high time the second gate received a truly immersive environment and, from what we can already see of the exterior, this will certainly deliver on the atmosphere front. We'll have to reserve judgement on the ride itself but I'm certainly very excited to see what Disney have got in store for us. They know the Studios park needs help and, while I don't think this new expansion will turn things around the way Space Mountain did for the Disneyland Park next door, it could be the ride that starts the long process of recovery.

• Rock The World

There's been a huge amount of good news coming out of DLP these past two days, so I'll just run a quick summary here for everyone. (Hat tip to Dedicated to DLP and @magicforum for keeping me updated).

For those of you who haven't heard, DLP organised a two-day press/PR event for the fan community this week, in which they outlined current and future developments at the resort. The event was clearly a response to the negative publicity surrounding the Save Disneyland Paris petition, although the projects themselves have been in the pipeline for a while and some of them are already part way finished. Here's a quick overview...

Hotel refurbishments
    The Hotel Santa Fe is coming to the end of an extensive multi-year refurbishment and the Newport Bay Club is next. Here is some of what will happen:

• The bedrooms will be completely redecorated with subtle Mickey Mouse touches and a warmer colour scheme
    • The restaurants (Yacht Club and Cape Cod) will be refurbished and the menus updated
    • The Lobby will be entirely remodelled
    • The hotel's facade will be completely stripped and replaced with new, more durable materials
    • All bedrooms will be fitted with new climate controls, linked to infrared sensors that will alter the temperature depending on the number of people in the room, whether the door as been opened, etc.
    • The swimming pool will be refurbished

DLP claim this will be the most extensive refurbishment project in the resort's history and that, once it's done, the Hotel New York, Hotel Cheyenne and the Disneyland Hotel will also be refurbished.
    Last edited by soundtracker; 09-27-2013 at 03:14 PM.

• Rock The World

Disneyland Park and Walt Disney Studios Refurbishments

• An extensive refurbishment of all building facades on Main Street U.S.A.. Similar to the rebuild of the Newport Bay Club hotel, all buildings will be stripped and their facades replaced with more durable materials that will require less maintenance in future
    • Complete refurbishment of the Main Street U.S.A. railroad station, both interiors and exteriors
    • Town Square Photography will be gutted and replaced with a new shop (no word yet on what the replacement will be)
    • Here's something unexpected - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril will undergo an almost total rebuild within the next 12 months. The temple itself will be completely demolished and rebuilt using real stone. The loop will also be replaced.
    • The climax of the Moteurs… Action! Stunt Show Spectacular will be fully restored in the coming months. Some of the stunts and effects were removed due to technical difficulties that will soon be repaired
    • Studio Tram Tour will get two extra trams to increase capacity
    • New operational safety features will be added to Big Thunder Mountain to reduce the time needed to restart the ride following breakdowns/evacuations
    • Space Mountain will get new seats to make the ride more comfortable
    • More single rider lines will be added, at a rate of at least one a year. First will be Crush’s Coaster which will also get a new entrance

This is clearly great news and exactly what many of us have been clamouring for for years. I just wish it hadn't taken a high-profile petition to prompt DLP into telling people what's already on the drawing boards.
    Last edited by soundtracker; 09-27-2013 at 01:41 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

When I brought French people to the park, they were astounded when the salesgirl offered to call other stores at the resort to find the item I wanted in the correct size.

You can't usually get a salesperson in Paris to help you find something in their own store, and the customer service at Disneyland Paris far exceeds that in town.

Of course, if they went overboard to the extent American salespeople do: "Hi, how are you, my name's Kathy, how are you today?" when you walk in the door... they'd probably turn the French guests off. Culturally, they would take offense to such a chatty salesgirl like we find in the states.

• Rock The World

Lastly, perhaps the best news of the event - as of today, we can buy official prints of the DLP attraction posters! Disney's Art on Demand service (based in the Disney Gallery store in Disney Village) lets guests choose from hundreds of images (including photos of Walt!) and have them printed in various sizes, either on paper or canvas. You also get to choose a frame and your chosen print will be sent to your home address within a few weeks. Sounds great and I can already see myself spending a fortune on this when I visit for Christmas!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    Lastly, perhaps the best news of the event - as of today, we can buy official prints of the DLP attraction posters! Disney's Art on Demand service (based in the Disney Gallery store in Disney Village) lets guests choose from hundreds of images (including photos of Walt!) and have them printed in various sizes, either on paper or canvas. You also get to choose a frame and your chosen print will be sent to your home address within a few weeks. Sounds great and I can already see myself spending a fortune on this when I visit for Christmas!
    I asked about this, and they told me last year there was NO WAY to buy them. That's great news. It would be great if you could order online.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    Disneyland Park and Walt Disney Studios Refurbishments

• An extensive refurbishment of all building facades on Main Street U.S.A.. Similar to the rebuild of the Newport Bay Club hotel, all buildings will be stripped and their facades replaced with more durable materials that will require less maintenance in future
    • Complete refurbishment of the Main Street U.S.A. railroad station, both interiors and exteriors
    • Town Square Photography will be gutted and replaced with a new shop (no word yet on what the replacement will be)
    • Here's something unexpected - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril will undergo an almost total rebuild within the next 12 months. The temple itself will be completely demolished and rebuilt using real stone. The loop will also be replaced.
    • The climax of the Moteurs… Action! Stunt Show Spectacular will be fully restored in the coming months. Some of the stunts and effects were removed due to technical difficulties that will soon be repaired
    • Studio Tram Tour will get two extra trams to increase capacity
    • New operational safety features will be added to Big Thunder Mountain to reduce the time needed to restart the ride following breakdowns/evacuations
    • Space Mountain will get new seats to make the ride more comfortable
    • More single rider lines will be added, at a rate of at least one a year. First will be Crush’s Coaster which will also get a new entrance

This is clearly great news and exactly what many of us have been clamouring for for years. I just wish it hadn't taken a high-profile petition to prompt DLP into telling people what's already on the drawing boards.
    I hope Main Street retains it's look and charm. I find the one in California, made of wood, looks more realistic than the one in Florida, made of fiberglass.

Wood construction isn't commonplace in France, so I assume Main Street is mostly a steel framed structure in France?

• Rock The World

Yes, as far as I'm aware, the buildings are steel frames with wooden facades. I assume the rebuild will use the same sort of wood-effect resin used to rebuild Hook's pirate ship a few years ago. I've not seen it in person yet but, from the photos I've seen, it looks very realistic. So the Main Street buildings should look good too.

• Bangarang!

I guess its great news but I do wonder if some of its is just unnecessary? Is the Temple really in such a bad state that it needs a complete rebuild?

And is the Tram Tour really popular enough to warrant another vehicle? Personally I'd rather that money went towards another C-ticket or something.

Still, great news that things are being done - and fantastic to hear about the posters!

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Yeah it's time to pull the plug on the studio tour since you're not really touring a studio.

• Bangarang!

^Agreed. Although it'd be a shame to loose the Canyon itself, but I guess there's nothing you can do with it.

As for the posters - here's a video that popped up in my YT feed..

17-230 is the price range. The high end being for 28"x41" canvas incl. frame - which is a fairly decent size. Good job I'm not going to Paris at the moment I'd want to spend a small fortune.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Rock The World

I agree that the Studio Tram Tour is a zombie attraction -lifeless, long past its expiry date but still ticking along. I strongly suspect its days are numbered and it'll disappear once the money for a serious expansion finally arrives. But the park badly needs extra capacity and this is a quick, cheap way of generating it.

Disney also announced at this week's event that Armageddon WILL eventually be replaced but not before the park's overall capacity can withstand losing one of its main attractions. Sounds like significant change is being planned for!

• Bangarang!

I'm one of the few who enjoyed AES, but I appriciate that it probably needs to 'make way for Progress' It'll be a shame to see an original attraction disappear, but if it means further expansion then I'm all for it.

Walt Disney

• DLRP, Number 1!

Just found this, at last the hotels seem to be getting the attention they deserve...

http://www.magicforum.eu/index.php?topic=16134.0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast