Question Why does Walt Disney Studios Park exist?

In the French existentialist tradition.
    Everyone agrees that it's the world's worst Disney theme park.

Why was it built despite the dire financial situation Disneyland Paris was in? This probably guaranteed that it'd be a cheaply built, subpar park. But wouldn't building a bad park also guarantee that DLP's financial situation would be worsened?

Was the logic that they'd invest in a whole new park to draw more visitors and get them to stay at the resort for longer (at the resort's excessive amount of hotel rooms) rather than making major improvements to Disneyland? Or was it that, like a lot of Disney's overseas projects, as part of their original deal with the government to build the park, they agreed to add new parks and resorts after a certain timeframe? Or is investigating the logic behind Michael Eisner's decisions a futile exercise altogether?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Why does Walt Disney Studios Park exist?

Certain timeframe agreed to with the French government.

They met the letter of the law, certainly not the spirit which came along with the opening of elaborate Disneyland.

• Rock The World

A mix of motivations, to be honest. By the late 90s, DLP was actually paying off its debts and heading towards profitability. The contract with the French state did stipulate that a second (and third) park would be opened within certain time frames but I'm pretty sure those deadlines could have been negotiated if necessary. (Indeed, the deadline for a third park has since been pushed back). But the WDC decreed that all properties worldwide had to become multi-day resorts to increase guest spending, so the smallest possible park with the lowest possible number of attractions was rushed into production, undermining the financial progress that had been made.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It was an unwanted pregnancy, this happens in Paris

• Cool Yule

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    It was an unwanted pregnancy, this happens in Paris
    Quote of the thread! And not only was it 'unwanted' it was a 600m baby at that.

Its sadly a case of what might have been, especially when you see the plans for Disney-MGM Studios Europe. Actually I wouldn't mind seeing the evolution that WDS went through at WDI. You can imagine that they probably had a decent enough park before the budget cuts started hitting the project.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Nutty about Disney parks

A Studios theme park concept is a cheap effortless approach to getting a Disney theme park up quickly when you think about it. Especially since in all three parks where this was attempted (includes land in DCA), they all went with the same approach in that you were in a "live" studio complex. That means your park can be simplified to a complex of warehouse-like stagebuildings requiring very little design on the outside other than the signage.

The biggest disadvantage however is lacking an actual live studio. Once all the ones in WDW closed down, the stagebuilding and the studio concept no longer had the feeling of authenticity and immersion that fooled guests in the beginning. What's the point of visiting a fake studio when you could go to a real one?

Considering how the French are not all that keen on American culture, I'm amazed that they even went forward with a park that would be fully themed to one aspect of it.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Aside from the stipulated deadline, the Studio concept was a favorite of Eisner's. He saw it as a sort franchise to build around the world. This, combined with the success of the Disney-MGM Studios and the "failures" of Euro Disneyland and Disney's Animal Kingdom, convinced Disney that smaller parks were the way of the future.

Last edited by WDWorldly; 10-13-2013 at 05:03 PM.

• Rock The World

Scary, isn't it! Thanks for the link, by the way - that made for interesting reading.

Incidentally, when the article states that the Walt Disney Studios Park was expected to attract between 16 and 17 million visitors a year, it's clearly a mistake - they must be referring to the Parisian resort as whole. (The article does seem to use the term 'resort' and 'theme park' interchangeably). I ran some quick calculations and, if the Studios Park had been full to capacity every single day of its first year of operation, it would have welcomed a shade over 6 million visitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

• former CM

--
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-19-2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: duplicate--sorry!

• former CM

--
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-19-2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: dublicate--Sorry!

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by WDWorldly View Post
    In the French existentialist tradition.
    Everyone agrees that it's the world's worst Disney theme park.
    [And that thread was in the Walt Disney World section!]

Why was it built. . .

. . . is investigating the logic behind Michael Eisner's decisions a futile exercise altogether?
    To make the still-new DCA seem OK by contrast?

I went to this park and to DCA when they were new, and I liked DCA much more than the
    depressing Walt Disney Studios Park. Can it be renamed the "Michael Eisner Studios Park"?
    Or at least take the undeserved "Walt" out of its name

How bad was Paris' Walt Disney Studios Park?
    I felt like Garth getting a Suck-cut on Wayne's World.
    I felt like a Camus character being visited by his mom while in prison.
    Or Dumbo visiting his incarcerated mother.

I get that some Wal-Marts, DMVs or public animal shelters can be a little depressing, but
    because of the expectations I brought to the THEME PARK, the Studios Park
    made me very depressed and a bit angry--though only for a day. Paris lifted my spirits back up.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-21-2013 at 10:31 AM.

I'm not sure why they built this park. Other posters have shed some light on the subject. Hopefully the team over at DLP is given a reasonable budget to fix the studios over a period of time, much like what they did with DCA. If the imagineers have proven anything, it's that they have the ability to take sub-par parks and turn them into truly amazing works of art if given the enough time and a big enough budget. After the Remy ride goes live, the DLP team should focus on fixing the train wreck that is the studios. Keep the faith, it'll happen someday.

• Not here to help

Imagine that people on European DLP fan forums say that WDS is better than DisneySea. The fact that WDS has a fan forum is supposed to be the proof of that.