Advice for a 1st timer at DLP

Hi Folks,

I am planning a quick trip to DLP as part of a longer trip to London and Paris and would like some input/advice from those of you who have been before. Here's my planned itinerary:

Thursday, 4/10-Arrive from Paris on the train late afternoon, check into Hipark Serris Val-d'europe and then walk the 15-20 minutes to DTD for the evening.

Friday, 4/11-Be at the park for opening and take in the parade, castle show, attractions that are unique to DLP or significantly different to those in the states (I've been to both coasts) and just try to soak in the atmosphere.

Saturday, 4/12-Check out 1 or 2 of the hotels and pick up last minute souvenirs before heading back to Paris.

So which attractions MUST I visit, where should I eat, what not to miss etc. I have a list already but I'd like your opinions.

Thanks!

• Not here to help

Re: Advice for a 1st timer at DLP

In Disneyland: Pirates, Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain

In Walt Disney Studios: Crush Coaster and... perhaps Tower Of Terror

Since the rides breaks down all the time it's hard to tell in advance what you'll be doing in the parks.
    Go for the big rides I'd say.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Rock The World

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post

Since the rides breaks down all the time it's hard to tell in advance what you'll be doing in the parks.
    While I agree with Timmy that it's worth hitting the big signature rides (not forgetting Big Thunder Mountain, which is the best version worldwide, according to Tony Baxter (and me!)), I think DLP really shines in the smaller, more unique attractions that you won't find anywhere else in the world. A few spring immediately to mind:

Disneyland Park
    The covered shopping arcades either side of Main Street house some really fascinating details and are beautifully atmospheric
    Adventure Isle in Adventureland
    Alice's Curious Labyrinth in Fantasyland
    Le Mysteres du Nautilus walkthrough in Discoveryland

Walt Disney Studios Park
    Cinémagique - hands down one of the best attractions in the resort and very French
    Animagique - a great idea in search of a budget but charming if you have the time

Most of all, just enjoy strolling around and taking in the atmosphere, which is slightly different to the US parks. Hope you have fun! Be sure to come back and tell us what you thought of the place!
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

• Not here to help

Big Thunder Mountain is awesome... but I forgot to write that.

Thanks for the input. I'm only planning on going to DL not the Studios. Do you think I should with my one day?

Any suggestions about places to eat? I'll probably go QS for lunch and dinner.

Does anyone know anything about the Hipark Serris Val-d'europe hotel? I got it on hotels.com because it's easy walking distance to the park and a reasonable price.

Thanks!

• Not here to help

Walt Disney Studios sucks as a park. It takes 2-3 hours to do. It has a few good things but most of them you can find in better shape in other Disneyparks.

Are you a student or do you have a valid student ID card? If you do, present it when buying your tickets at the gates ans you can get the student prices (which are very unknown) and get a 2-parks 1-day ticket for 52 euros (or something around that). Quite a deal!

There is no need to pre-buy the tickets online if you're going during low-season. Go early in the morning and buy your tickets at the WDS entrance. They sell the same tickets and there are less lines. Pack snacks, water, sandwiches, crackers, apples etc. in your backpack. They are allowed and they will be a quick fix in the queues and when you get hungry, and you'll save €€€.

My attraction suggestions:

On a quiet day you can easily visit both parks and ride most of their attractions.

WDS: Absolutely run to Crush's Coaster as soon as you enter the park. The park is quite tiny so its a 3 minute run from the main gate. Have you visited DHS in Orlando? If so, ride the TOT and Rock and Roller Coaster once if you want a thrill fix, or skip altogether. There are Cinemagiique shows every 45 minutes I believe. Catch a presentation then head to Disneyland. Dont waste your time in Armageddon or Moteurs, Action.

The entrance to Disneyland is literally 5 minutes away from WDS. Go in the park and head left and ask where the liberty arcade is. Take a moment to appreciate thidps gorgeous arcade which will take you to Frontierland. Take a fastpass for Big Thunder Mountain then visit Phantom Manor. Ride it a couple times to enjoy most details then head back to BTMR. Go north to Adventureland. I wouldnt recommend Indiana Jones (painful), but dont miss Pirates. Head right to the hub and towards Discoveryland and get a FP for Space Mountain. Skip Star Tours and enjoy the Nautilus walkthrough, then perhaps Buzz Lightyear. If not go to Fantasyland and enjoy thr dark rides (walk-ons on slow days). Enjoy the unique things such as Alices Labyrinth. Make sure to visit the castle's dragon lair and to tour around the upper levels. There are even balconies from which you get great views of Fantasyland. Dont forget to grab a Fastpass for Peter Pan as soon as you hit Fantasyland as it has long lines even on slow days. Return to Discoveryland amd ride Space-Mountain. Re-ride Space Mountain. Its the BEST atteaction in the resort! Then return to Fantasyland to enjoy Peter Pan take the time to enjoy all the details you might have missed in all lands. Fantasyland closes a couple of hours earlier for Disnet Dreams (unsure if it will be performing while you're there, better check the website..).

Food-wise, I believe the buffet deals were reasonable if you have some €€ and lots of hunger (i believe its all you can eat for 33€). I have eaten twice at Fuente del Oro in Frontierland and, even though not the best, it was good to relief the hunger. If not survive on snacks... Hehehe.

Merchandise-wise, sadly theres nothing inside the parks you cant get at the Disney Village stores, with exception of mayyyybe one or two items (like personalized shot glasses from one of the Main Street Stores or blown glass things from the castle store).

Hope it is of help. Enjoy!!!
    Last edited by mtlchuck; 02-22-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Also, as you have visited both US resorts, be prepared for thr occasionally ruder cast members (not to mention guests... even though both times I visited 96% of the staff were super nice), litter where by no means there should be at a Disney Park (example: 6 months old food wrappings with fading colours in bodies of water) and lots of smokers.

I really hope Disney Dreams will play as it is magnificent (I watched the holiday version).

Writing this I remembered an anecdote: I visiited the parks last december. At night I was already at the train station and confused about the departures and I politely asked a woman at one of the food kiosks (in French) where the trains headed to Paris were and she replied really rudely that it was not her job to inform me of that. I just looked at her and said out loud "I forgot this isnt Disneyland anymore..." and stormed off. Some people just have no courtesy.

Thanks for the input. I'll have to decide if it's worth the extra money and time away from DL to squeeze in a quick visit to the Studios.

Sadly, it's been a long time since I was a student so no discounts for me. I plan on buying my ticket for Friday when I arrive Thursday evening to save time in the morning.

Disney Dreams is on the schedule and I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the tip about Fantasyland closing early, I didn't know that. Peter Pan however will be closed while I'm there (Indy too.) I can live with that though since I have been on it many times in WDW and DL.

I'm also bracing myself for all the smokers

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post

Phantom Manor. The Haunted Mansion doesn't exist at Disneyland Paris, both attractions have two completely different stories.
    Remember to always let your dreams carry you away.

Follow me on Twitter (DLRPWonders) for the latest Disneyland Paris news!