Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Joe Flowers

Joe's summer trip to Disneyland Paris

For those of you who have been following along, we've already been a few places on this trip. Theresa and I started our trip in Rome, then spent a few more days in Florence. Now we're heading up to Paris to meet up with Ruston and Jacob where we'll be spending some time at the Disneyland Paris Resort.

We stayed overnight at a hotel near airport in Paris. After waking up at 10am today, we quickly packed and went downstairs. As we got there, the shuttle to the airport just arrived and within a minute, we were off to the airport. The driver asked if we were ORLY South or West. We werent exactly sure and just went to South. We had booked a shuttle for 20 Euro per person to take us to Disneyland. We found the #5 Bus lane and before too long the bus arrived. It was right around 11am. Unfortunately the driver parked the bus and said hed be back in 40 minutes. We hung out and texted with Jacob telling him about the delays.

Sure enough at 11:40am, the driver came back and let us board. There werent too many of us on the bus, so we thought it might be an empty ride to the park. We were wrong though. The next stop was ORLY West, and while there were only 12 people or so boarding at ORLY South, there was a huge line here at ORLY West. So much so that they filled up the entire bus and there were still people waiting to get on. Looks like at least another hour wait for those people. By 12pm, we had everyone aboard who was coming and were ready to leave for the park.

By 12pm, we had everyone aboard who was coming and were ready to leave for the park. Traffic wasnt terrible and while we were driving, a video played that told us what stops wed be making. I dont think Baby Flowers enjoyed the seat belt on the bus. T told me he was kicking quite a bit. Of course when I went to feel, he wouldnt kick any more. We stopped at just about every Disney owned hotel before finally getting dropped off at the bus stop that would take us to our hotel.

The hotel advertises a shuttle that runs every 20 minutes to Disneyland. Lies! Lies! Lies! We were dropped off at the bus stop at 1:10pm. Finding the bus were supposed to take, we see a times guide and the next ones isnt coming until 3pm.

Thankfully weve been here before and know the RER train is close by and will take us to the hotel as well. We buy tickets and before too long were on the train. Its only one stop for us, and we get off the train and our hotel is right across the street from the station.

Ruston and Jacob checked in a bit earlier and napped for a little while. We're given a room right across from them and after we drop all or gear, we knock on their door and meet up.

Hooray! The entire gang is together again!

Having eaten nothing but snacks today, we were pretty hungry. There is a mall right beside the hotel, so we decided to stop in to grab food before heading to the park. That was a mistake. The mall is insanely busy with so many people shuffling up and down trying to get places. The food court was on the completely opposite side of the mall, and it was a long walk. Once we arrived, the food court was nuts. So many people in every line. We look at various options, but we didnt want to do sit down, and T cant do lunchmeat, so sandwiches are out.

After all that, we decided to eat McDonalds. They had the touch screen order menus which worked great for ordering, but people can place orders much faster than they can make them. Also once your order was placed, you got a number either 0-999, or >1000. Jacobs number was over 1000 and he got his food in less than 5 minutes. The line for me, T and Ruston didnt move at all though. Ruston volunteered to wait in line while the rest of us sat and waited. It literally took 20 minutes to get a cheeseburger, fries and soda. That was frustrating. We should have just gone straight to the park.

After eating, we came back up to the hotel to grab jackets just in case tonight gets cold, then we headed for the train station to the park.

No problems with the train or walking up to the park.

We were directed to the guest relations booth for Ruston to sign us in and get our free tickets. Hooray for being a Disney Cast Member!

These costumes look a little like the Tokyo Disney wizard costumes all the characters were wearing.

Once inside we walked to City Hall to get T a pregnancy pass. After taking our tickets and writing on the back, we were told that T could only take one person with in the shorter line, and only one person for the parades. Looks like this pregnancy pass is worthless for keeping the group together, so well probably skip it the rest of the trip.

After that we walked down main street just enjoying being here in the park. We pose for a picture in front of the castle then we're ready to go explore!.

Walking up to the awesome looking castle.

We walked into the castle.

And then we walked down into the dragons lair.

The dragon is big and imposing, and a really cool thing to keep underneath a castle. Every once in a while he'll wake up, open his eyes, move his head around and blow smoke. Cool! I want one!

Afterwards, we walk to Phantom Manor. The wait says 30 minutes, but we figured why not. The line moved pretty quick, and before we knew it we were on the ride. T and I have been on it before so we knew what to expect. Ruston and Jacob hadnt though, but theyre still battling jet lag. Ruston said he fell asleep in the ballroom scene and didnt wake up until it was time to get off. That's okay, we promised wed ride it again.

The story is totally different from our Haunted Mansion.

After leaving the attic, we get a good view of the Phantom. Scary!

I love how the manor looks from the outside! It really looks like an old house on a hill on an old estate.

Hmm, where should we go next? Big Thunder Mountain was close. Whats the wait time? Yikes! 85 minutes!

Let's go visit some pirates! Sadly it's a ride T couldnt go on. She waited outside while Ruston, Jacob and I waited in a 30 minute line.

I love the design of the whole Spanish fort on the outside.

Their queue is really dark, and for the first few corridors, it's seems completely black. Going from a super bright outside to a really dim inside, I was just shuffling my feet and trying to follow the people in front of me.

They've got a lot of the same scenes that we've got back home.

No Captain Barbosa here. Instead we have a pirate yelling at us in French and he's got red bows in his beard.

There's the classic auction scene.

And at least here they've still got the pirates chasing the girls.

Checking out the treasure room. We'll come back to this ride later and get a few more looks.

After that, Ruston and Jacob needed to wake up a little, so we grabbed a few sodas to get them a little caffeine. Our next stop was Alice in Wonderland's Curious Labyrinth.

There's not much to the ride itself, but we had fun with it.

Ruston, are you sure?

Jacob played with the jumping water fountains.

And got a little wet while doing it.

Of course the Cheshire Cat shows up to help us along.

The Caterpillar is here too.

The centerpiece of the labyrinth is a giant Cheshire Cat face.

Now we've got to find our way out. But which way?

Um...

I think Theresa's got the right idea.

But uh oh... We're entering the territory of the Queen of Hearts. I decide to help out the cards and work on painting the roses red.

We hear the Queen of Hearts yelling at us a lot, but she never makes an appearance. Now we see why. Someone broke the crown off her head. Wonder how long it's been like that...

Making our way to the castle

Hmm, this one isn't broken, but it's still not popping up. It's good to be tall so we can still see it.

We've made it to one of the best parts of the maze! The Castle! Why is it the best part?

Well once you climb to the top, if it happens to be a nice day, you can get some beautiful shots.

Great shot Ruston.

And Jacob

And one with me and T. Theres some rude people here, just pushing and shoving to get in front of you. You can also be lined up for a picture, and they push their way around you to take a picture themselves. Ugh. Some people are the worst. I know that happens everywhere (except maybe not at Tokyo Disneyland), but it was still annoying.

Posing for a quick photo op. Hey, it's my Un-birthday today! A very merry un-birthday to me!

Another thing that were really not liking is all the smoking. Its all over the place here. The maps says Disneyland is completely non-smoking except in designated areas, but people are lighting up in lines, on rides, while walking around, and pretty much all over the place. The cast members dont even police it, and we saw them regularly walking right beside people smoking.

And then there's just the general condition of the park. Some parts look alright, but then you see things like this. We passed this overflowing trashcan on the way to a ride back and it was like this 45 minutes later when we came back... Between Tokyo Disneyland and this park, there is just no comparison.

Even though we got here late, there's still so much stuff that I need to split it into a separate post. We'll continue our trip from here in the next post!

Re: Joe's summer trip to Disneyland Paris

Thank you for your trip report about Disneyland Paris
    I would like to clarify certains things

"Once inside we walked to City Hall to get T a pregnancy pass. After taking our tickets and writing on the back, we were told that T could only take one person with in the shorter line, and only one person for the parades. Looks like this pregnancy pass is worthless for keeping the group together, so we’ll probably skip it the rest of the trip."

The Easy Access Card is just an help, if pregnant women or people with temporary problems feel tired at certains moments of their day. However, the limitation to one helper is due to several abuse.

"Another thing that we’re really not liking is all the smoking. It’s all over the place here. The maps says Disneyland is completely non-smoking except in designated areas, but people are lighting up in lines, on rides, while walking around, and pretty much all over the place. The cast members don’t even police it, and we saw them regularly walking right beside people smoking."

We really have a problem with this policy. Even if the CM try to police it, the European (French in majority) Guests don't want to stop smoking. Even inside the queue line when most CM enforce this policy, Guests are always smoking... But it's not only at DLP, even at the RER train station for example...
    Last edited by Loc Potter; 03-08-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Guest Relations & Ticketing Coordinator @ Disneyland Paris
    English is not my mother tongue, I hope you would forgive me for my spelling mistakes.

• Minion

Always love your trip reports

Sad to see the state of some on the labyrinth features, especially the red curb under the hedges. Paint isn't that expensive!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    Sad to see the state of some on the labyrinth features, especially the red curb under the hedges. Paint isn't that expensive!
    Agreed. It's the little things like that (meticulous upkeep) which make Disney.... Disney.

That being said, can't wait to read more! I love reading your trip reports, Joe!

Great photos. I love those of the castle dragon and Alice's Labyrinth.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Thanks for sharing, Joe! I've never been to Disneyland Paris before (or any other Disney parks other than the two in Anaheim); it's so pretty! I want to eventually go and experience all the Disney Parks one day. It'll be my ultimate dream vacation! Ah, one day... one day... Anyways, great trip report so far!

• Bangarang!

Great TR, thanks for sharing!

Its sad to see frayed edges at any park, let alone a Disney one. I appreciate that ED are not flush with cash, but sometimes I feel that things are met with a "so what?" and a shrug.

As for smoking, I agree, its terrible. And sadly as Loc pointed out, its something that its not just at 'The Happiest Place in Europe'.

Still I hope these things didn't ruin the whole experience for you at DLRP.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

About Smoking, here is the French law now:
    Decree of 15 November 2006 imposes a ban on smoking in all enclosed and covered places open to the public (...).

Even if Disneyland Paris has its own policy, the Guests can choose not to comply (including outside queue lines), because they are not in violation of the law... We need first a change of law to help the behavioral change.

Guest Relations & Ticketing Coordinator @ Disneyland Paris
    English is not my mother tongue, I hope you would forgive me for my spelling mistakes.

we will be going out there on tuesday hoping to avoid the crowds. Could you report back as to the crowds tomorrow (monday)? I dont like to wait more than 20-30 minutes for a ride and in california we usually leave by noon but have season passes.

Also I was thinking about skipping studios, although I kind of want to see the disaster for myself

finally, any suggestions to restaurants? I dont like most of the restaurants in disneyland except club 33, however a lot of the food in DCA is good (like napa rose) or the bread bowl place.

• Joe Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by Loc Potter View Post
    Thank you for your trip report about Disneyland Paris
    I would like to clarify certains things

"Once inside we walked to City Hall to get T a pregnancy pass. After taking our tickets and writing on the back, we were told that T could only take one person with in the shorter line, and only one person for the parades. Looks like this pregnancy pass is worthless for keeping the group together, so well probably skip it the rest of the trip."

The Easy Access Card is just an help, if pregnant women or people with temporary problems feel tired at certains moments of their day. However, the limitation to one helper is due to several abuse.

"Another thing that were really not liking is all the smoking. Its all over the place here. The maps says Disneyland is completely non-smoking except in designated areas, but people are lighting up in lines, on rides, while walking around, and pretty much all over the place. The cast members dont even police it, and we saw them regularly walking right beside people smoking."

We really have a problem with this policy. Even if the CM try to police it, the European (French in majority) Guests don't want to stop smoking. Even inside the queue line when most CM enforce this policy, Guests are always smoking... But it's not only at DLP, even at the RER train station for example...

About Smoking, here is the French law now:
    Decree of 15 November 2006 imposes a ban on smoking in all enclosed and covered places open to the public (...).

Even if Disneyland Paris has its own policy, the Guests can choose not to comply (including outside queue lines), because they are not in violation of the law... We need first a change of law to help the behavioral change.
    I do understand the potential for abuse with the Easy Access Card. We've had similar abuse issues out at Disneyland in Anaheim with the previous Guest Assistance Cards. It didn't bother me too much and I was mostly writing it to give others a heads up on the limitations of the Easy Access pass.

Also thank you for the information on the smoking policy and the general laws of the country. We understand that it's a different culture and since smoking is much more accepted there, it's more difficult to enforce.

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    Always love your trip reports

This one took me quite a while to get out. I'm nearly 7 months late!

I agree that this park could be absolutely beautiful with a little bit more upkeep. Even still though, there were places that looked amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Agreed. It's the little things like that (meticulous upkeep) which make Disney.... Disney.

That being said, can't wait to read more! I love reading your trip reports, Joe!
    Glad you're enjoying them! I always have fun writing them!

Quote Originally Posted by dazyhill View Post
    Great photos. I love those of the castle dragon and Alice's Labyrinth.
    The castle and the accompanying dragon might be the coolest part of the whole park. I also enjoyed the Labyrinth and the accompanying views you can get from it. It certainly helps that no other Disney parks have anything like it too.

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Joe! I've never been to Disneyland Paris before (or any other Disney parks other than the two in Anaheim); it's so pretty! I want to eventually go and experience all the Disney Parks one day. It'll be my ultimate dream vacation! Ah, one day... one day... Anyways, great trip report so far!
    That's one of our goals too! Hong Kong Disneyland is the last one on our list, but we're actually planning on waiting a little bit longer until Disney Shanghai opens in late 2015. Then we'll go to both Shanghai and Hong Kong Disneyland on the same trip. In the mean time, maybe we'll take a few more trips to Florida to WDW and maybe one more trip to Tokyo Disneyland...

One day I would love to try to visit all the parks in the same year. Wouldn't that make for an interesting story.
    One time I did go to both WDW and Disneyland in the same day. I went on 13 rides/attractions at Walt Disney World, then flew across the country and went on those same 13 rides at Disneyland. It was an exhausting day, but it was something I'd always wanted to do. I took a few pictures and wrote about it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    Great TR, thanks for sharing!

Its sad to see frayed edges at any park, let alone a Disney one. I appreciate that ED are not flush with cash, but sometimes I feel that things are met with a "so what?" and a shrug.

As for smoking, I agree, its terrible. And sadly as Loc pointed out, its something that its not just at 'The Happiest Place in Europe'.

Still I hope these things didn't ruin the whole experience for you at DLRP.
    Nah, it would have taken quite a bit to ruin our experience. We're all happy we went. I do wish there was a little more care and upkeep done to the park (and you'll see a few more examples in the rest of my TR), but still, it's Disneyland. You can't not have a smile on your face when you're walking around.

Quote Originally Posted by txdisney View Post
    we will be going out there on tuesday hoping to avoid the crowds. Could you report back as to the crowds tomorrow (monday)? I dont like to wait more than 20-30 minutes for a ride and in california we usually leave by noon but have season passes.

Also I was thinking about skipping studios, although I kind of want to see the disaster for myself

finally, any suggestions to restaurants? I dont like most of the restaurants in disneyland except club 33, however a lot of the food in DCA is good (like napa rose) or the bread bowl place.
    I certainly wouldn't skip the studios. There are a few gems there. We all enjoyed Animagique and Cinemagique. And if you're into roller coasters, the Crush Coaster is a really wild ride (just make sure you're facing forward or you'll miss a lot of the pre-show).

As far as Disney Dining goes, it's not usually one of our main focuses. We all appreciate a good meal but usually won't spend a couple hours eating when we could be exploring the parks more. That being said, you might have some luck with Walt's. The ambiance there definitely reminded me of Club 33, though the food didn't impress us as much as Club 33. I hope you have a great time!

• Not here to help

That trash can sums it up pretty well doesn't it? Not OK!
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Joe Flowers

After Alice in Wonderland's labyrinth, we went back to Storybook land and rode the canal boats. There was no line and we were able to walk right on and have our own boat to ourselves! There are no guides on the boats here compared to Disneyland in Anaheim and they have some interesting scenes we dont.

One of the first scenes we encounter is Snow White. Up at the top we can see Dopey at the entrance to a mine.

While the Wicked Witch is at the cottage entrance.

Rapunzel's tower is also sticking out from behind the mountains.

From Hansel and Gretel.

This is the tribute to Mount Olympus from Fantasia. I would have loved it even more if it were meant to be from my favorite movie, Hercules.

Rounding the corner, we see the windmill from the animated short The Old Mill.

We also see Prince Eric's castle sitting beside the water.

And Eric is out on the balcony ready to go down to his ship.

Next was the frozen winter scene of Peter and the Wolf.

Peter is peeking out of the safety of the gate.

Little does he know that lurking around the corner is the wolf.

Careful Peter!

Next we see a small mountain village. But what's that! It's presided by none other than the Chernabog!

Here's a character that doesn't get nearly enough attention in the parks and I'm happy to see him here!

It's the Cave of Wonders!

And he's swallowing a boat!

Once we come out the other side we encounter the Excalibur from The Sword in the Stone.

This looks like a poor provincial town.

Good morning Belle.

And looming over the town is the Beast's castle. Not quite canon, but it still looks cool.

What's this?

The Emerald City from Return to Oz? Interesting. Not a very well known Disney movie.

We asked to ride a second time around and because there was no line, we got to go again without getting out of the boat.

The next ride of the day was it's a small world. They have a really cool fountain out front, but unfortunately it could use a little cleaning.

The globe has a layer of scum coating it. Ruston looked at me and said "I just want to take a toothbrush and clean it up!"

On to the ride!

Not quite a boat to ourselves, but still a pretty short wait and we were on.

I really like that this version isn't a copy of any of the other parks. You still see the classic scenes like the Tower Bridge.

And the Eiffel Tower

It's cool to see the representation of the Coliseum that we just saw a few days earlier.

Ruston was happy to see a much better representation for Canada. Instead of just the one Mountie without a land, there were mountains, hockey players, a totem pole, a moose and then of course, a Mountie.

The United States also has a big representation here. We see cowboys and the wild west.

Then we look past a farm scene and see a giant ship, the Golden Gate bridge, and the Statue of Liberty. In the background we can see the Hollywood hills, and the Hollywood Bowl.

Along with some palm trees and a football and baseball player

Its starting to get close to dinner time. We try to take the railroad to the other side of the park, but once we line up, were told the train is closed for the evening and everyone in line has to turn around.

The place we want to eat is over in Adventureland and Frontierland, so we decided to walk across the park to get to it. Along the way, we run into a cute couple. Eve and Wall-E!

Aww, Ruston says "How sweet."

And Theresa and I strike a pose.

Who is ready for some smoked chicken and BBQ'd meats? My lips are already smackin.

Well not us apparently. We get there and even though its only 7pm, its already closed. We continue to our 2nd choice and its closed as well. Sigh Why is it closing when the park is open for another 4 hours?

Crazy that they even have a sign for the occasion.

Out of the options we really wanted, we head back to main street and to Caseys corner to grab dinner. Jumbo cheese and crispy onion dogs for the boys. T gets a salad after confirming it has no nuts. No nuts, but maybe some oatmeal and legumes.

We carry our food across Main Street and find some tables to sit at.

Over dinner, Ruston was telling us how hed had it on his list to go to the DL Paris, but after pricing it out 10 years ago, he didnt think hed ever get here. And now its 10 years later and hes been to Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Tokyo Disneyland (which he couldnt have even dreamed of) and now Disneyland Paris. Awesome!

After dinner with everyone a little more awake now, we go back to Phantom Manor. I read everyone the story so maybe the ride will make a little more sense going through it.

Looking out from the front porch of Phantom Manor to the park. It's an awesome setting!
    Its only a 5 minute wait this time!

Looking up in the stretching room.
    The cast members here played around a lot more with the guests. Jumping out and scaring them, stealing their hats and headbands. They asked for everyone to be quiet while during the stretching room scene. "In English, shhh!" "In French, shhhh!" When people were still talking, he asked, "in Espanol?" People responded Si. He said, "in Espanol, shhh!" I think asking people to be quiet was only encouraging them not to be. They were yelling and screaming on the ride the entire time...

Wandering around the cemetery at the end of the ride.

They use some cool foliage to give the manor an eerie feel.

Just as we got off, the sun was starting to set.

It lit up the Manor beautifully.

After the ride, T went to try to get chili con carne nachos, but the restaurant was closed. Why is everything closing so early! Big Thunder still has an 85 minute wait.
    We wander over towards Discoveryland and check out the Nautilus.

It's always fun to see things that don't exist anywhere else.

Ah yes, we're inside Vulcania. Tokyo Disney Sea really presented this well. That's immediately what comes to mind when I see this map.

We watch as the giant squid attacks the ship.

Afterwards, Jacob and I have a short 5 minute wait on the original Star Tours.

I got in trouble for taking pictures during the ride, even though they clearly said no flash pictures allowed a couple times. Jacob and I were both listening for it. Maybe they should just say no pictures.

Its 10:20pm (and still surprisingly bright outside) and with 40 minutes to go before the final show tonight, we head to main street to find seats. We get right in the middle behind the hub area and chat while we wait.

The castle is looking pretty amazing.

At 10:50, people who were sitting start standing and space opens up and people start crowding closer. Some people just have no manners. They squeeze right in front of you and just stop. I know it's just not here, but that happens everywhere. What was also annoying though were the ipads, phones and cameras that went in the air when the show started. People cant just enjoy the show, theyve got to watch it on their tiny little screen and hold it in front of everyone else. One guy started with his phone in a vertical position then halfway through flipped to horizontal. Seriously are you even going to watch this again? I'm going to give a few more props to Tokyo Disneyland for their cast members making announcements to keep all cameras at eye-level or lower during the show, and people actually complying. I even wish they did that back at Disneyland Anaheim. Ok, gripe over.

The show itself was pretty cool. The fountains along side the castle are nice, but the projections on the castle are just outstanding.

I'm definitely going to need to come watch this show again with a better seat.

Once the show was over we joined the crowd heading out of the park and it was packed. Eventually we made it to the RER tracks and everyone had lined up on the right side. No train was there yet, so we lined up behind everyone else. After 10 minutes or so, a train comes in, but to the left tracks. We were 5-6 people deep on the right, but everyone dashed to the left and squeezed on. Lots of pushing and shoving, but everyone on the platform made it onto the train. Some people really want seats.

It was a tight squeeze for us to get on. Luckily it's just the one stop. The train sat there for maybe 10 more minutes before the doors closed and it was time to go. It would have been quicker just to walk to the hotel. Glad were right by the doors to get off. Once we get off, we buy tickets for the next morning while were here then head up to the room.

We haven't had a chance to go to the store yet, so were stuck buying snacks from the hotel. 2 Euro ($2.75) for a Twix bar, and 3 Euro ($4.10) for a 12oz can of soda. Yikes! Hoping we find a store tomorrow. Were meeting up the Jacob and Ruston at 10am and Disney Studios is on the agenda. Until next time!

About 350 miles away from Disneyland Resort Paris and 6000 miles away from Disneyland California

I love your trip reports and Disneyland Paris. We have been there many times, it's only six hours away by car. We don't plan to go back there again anytime soon, because we are a bit disappointed lately by the condition of the parks, the smoking, dirty restrooms, rude people, closed restaurants and many more things. We rather save our money to visit the real Disneyland in Anaheim, where the magic lives. I hope you had a great time at Disneyland Paris anyways!
    Disneyland Resort Paris: | 1999 | 2001 | 2002 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 (2 visits) | 2008 | 2009 (2 visits) | 2010 | 2012 | 2013 |
    Disneyland Resort California: | 2005 | 2008 | 2010 | 2012 | 2013 | Walt Disney World: | 2011 |
    Disney Cruise Line: | 2012 |

Storybook Land looks rather run down.

• Bangarang!

The Cave of Wonders looks like it needs a visit from the Frozen Trolls and their song "Fixer Upper"

As for the restaurarnts, I had the same issue last time I went. I was going to eat in the Frontierland Stakehouse (Silver Spur?) and was abruptly told "Closed!" by a CM in the lobby. It seems they had yet developed the special signs to save CM's having to repeat themselves.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast