• Bangarang!

Where's next for WDS?

Now that RATTR is heading towards completion, I wonder what will be next for the park and also just where the next expansion can go.

There's been some rumours on and off of a Marvel Land, so I'll use that as an example.

I doubt they'd use the current in-park expansion pads, so it'd have to be outside the current boundaries, but really it looks like it'd have to be on the Production Courtyard side of the park, and the land behind Moteurs and Rock'n'Rollercoaster. The only other patch is towards the Reign of Fire set, but I can't see it going behind the current Tram Tour station. That cuts off any expansion of Hollywood Blvd., unless they win the lotto and are able to add more to the Boulevard and create Marvel Land as its first off shoot.

Any ideas?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Disney Superfreak

Re: Where's next for WDS?

Tron would make some good rides like they are doing in Shanghai
    I now own property in Frontierland named "The Backside of Water." Life can't get much better.

AP holder

• Bangarang!

Nice call. I'm not sure how big that show building will be, I guess the pad next to CineMagique wouldn't be big enough, so they'd have to go beyond the berm.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

I think the next ride is going to be Star Tours II in the Disneyland Park.

They should use the success of the Ratatouille ride/area as proof to financial backers that a well themed area with an engaging ride is worth the money and is needed and for a new E-ticket.

Start to strengthen, add, enhance the area themes. Work to improve guest flow, clarity and coherent message.

Add a C/D ticket dark ride similar Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin or Monsters Inc Hide and Seek. Family friendly with a fun interactive twist.

The Spider-Man meet'n'greet wait time is already 80 minutes. So, it's likely that, after Star Tours II, the priority will be Marvel Land with the retheming of Backlot and the addition of new innovative rides. Rock'n'Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith is rumored to become Rock'n'Roller Coaster Starring Spider-Man and a brand new Avengers ride is supposed to be under development.

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicBear View Post
    Add a C/D ticket dark ride similar Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin or Monsters Inc Hide and Seek. Family friendly with a fun interactive twist.
    I like the sound of that. I guess it'd be easy to add either to the Toon side of the park, but its a question of where, I'm not sure they can add it right next to Remyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Fultimate View Post
    The Spider-Man meet'n'greet wait time is already 80 minutes.
    Wowzers.. I don't think I've ever seen a meet'n'greet have a wait that long outside of Japan. You know that'll get the attention of the powers that be.

I wonder if its worth using the TV studio space as a temporary Marvel area (sort of like the Stark Exhibit in Disneyland). Would we really miss Stitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Fultimate View Post
    So, it's likely that, after Star Tours II, the priority will be Marvel Land with the retheming of Backlot and the addition of new innovative rides. Rock'n'Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith is rumored to become Rock'n'Roller Coaster Starring Spider-Man and a brand new Avengers ride is supposed to be under development.
    I don't like the sound of just sticking Spidey over the Rock'n'Rollercoaster; it seems very Islands of Adventure, but if its part of a bigger project then I guess it wouldn't be so bad.

Armageddon is too small to accommodate anything really big, so they'll have to build behind RnRc, there's a nice patch of grass sitting there; perfect for Marvel Land. Maybe the Iron Man attraction from Hong Kong?

Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    I like the sound of that. I guess it'd be easy to add either to the Toon side of the park, but its a question of where, I'm not sure they can add it right next to Remyland.
    Change the Backlot area to a general Adventure City which could be mostly marvel, but having other action adventure characters. I could see the Monsters Inc Hide and Seek system, but with Wreak it Ralph or the Incredibles.

Wowzers.. I don't think I've ever seen a meet'n'greet have a wait that long outside of Japan. You know that'll get the attention of the powers that be.
    In CA the wait for Elsa and Anna is a couple hours I believe, but Spidy will have longer lines this summer.

I don't like the sound of just sticking Spidey over the Rock'n'Rollercoaster; it seems very Islands of Adventure, but if its part of a bigger project then I guess it wouldn't be so bad.
    The right props, music and effects could make it work, but the big challenge to re-theme RnRC is that the ride just launches you and then it shoots you through the track. To me a coaster that has slower moments like the classic lift hills would allow for better moments for character and story.

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicBear View Post
    Change the Backlot area to a general Adventure City which could be mostly marvel, but having other action adventure characters. I could see the Monsters Inc Hide and Seek system, but with Wreak it Ralph or the Incredibles.
    That could work, particulary as WDS' theme is all over the place anyway.

Its space that's the issue. The Backlot doesn't have a great deal, unless they do go beyond the berm. I'm starting to think that really they need to ditch Armageddon. Its not a huge building, but if you include the Armadillo and take out Café des Cascadeurs as well it might yield a decent plot for something else.

Trouble is, its still taking out an existing attraction in a park that is still light on rides.

Walt Disney

• Rock The World

Toy Story Mania is still on the cards for Toon Studio, next to RC Racer, but it'll mean redirecting the Tram Tour yet again.

Any serious expansion will require the removal of Moteurs... Action! and/or Tram Tour. Then they can push out into the huge vacant plot behind the current park limits.

• Bangarang!

Interesting. The Tram Tour certainly is standing in the way of expansion - but could they not just move the station further back? It wouldn't take much to reroute the tour to both sets.

They could then have the station at the end of the newly extended Hollywood Blvd.

As for Moteurs, well I'd be surprised it that was the first to go. Maybe it'd be repurposed into another type of stunt show first?
    And it'd be great if they could use the theatre at night as well. Perhaps some sort of night time projection show, utalising the characters and brands that don't fit into Dreams (ie. Tron, Star Wars, Marvel etc.).

Walt Disney

• Bangarang!

Disney&More blog has an interesting piece that lists a few rumours and possible projects.

In short, here's the speculation for WDS (providing that a large cheque arrives from Burbank)..

2015-17 (est.)
    Backlot could be rethemed to Times Square, to better accommodate the Marvel characters
    Rock'n'Rollercoaster could receive a Daily Bugle façade and a Spiderman retheme (as previously mentioned by Fultimate)
    Moteurs...Action! could receive a Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D retheme
    Armageddon Effets Speciaux will become a Fantastic Four attraction
    Toy Story Mania could be added to Playland
    Front Lot and Studio 1's theme possibly reworked/plussed.
    Placemaking for Hollywood Blvd., Place des Stars and the Animation Courtyard.

2017 and beyond..
    (remember this is all speculative)
    Avengers E-Ticket
    A WDS version of the DCA Red Car Trolley
    A hotel that is integrated into WDS (same way the Grand Californian and Hotel Mira Costa are).

Now some of those ideas sound great (others not so much). And to refer back to my original question "where next for WDS?" well if all of that comes off, it looks like the berm is going to have to be conquered at some point.
    Last edited by Hathaway Browne; 04-22-2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: added correct link to article.

Walt Disney