Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First visit to EuroDisney for 1 day

Hello,

This is my first post but I've been browsing the forum for some time now.

I am going to be doing a day trip to Disneyland Paris in late August and have a few questions.

Worth seeing both parks? We are definitely going to Disneyland
    I am curious as to if my family will be too tired trying to squeeze everything in.
    We have been to WDW numerous times and have been on all the "classics". But are the attractions in the studios park a must see?

Also, my family usually does a sit down meal at WDW when we go. This year, we're planning on doing it for dinner as we're staying for the entire day. What is recommended? (preferably in the park, I guess one for each depending on the above).

Lastly, my son really wants to ride the Eurostar, and seeing as we are staying in Paris, it seems to make sense. Is it a hassle to take the train compared to driving/ other modes?

Thanks for your help!
    See you this summer.

• Nerd

Re: First visit to EuroDisney for 1 day

Quote Originally Posted by kuprtyasd View Post
    Hello,

This is my first post but I've been browsing the forum for some time now.

I am going to be doing a day trip to Disneyland Paris in late August and have a few questions.

Worth seeing both parks? We are definitely going to Disneyland
    I am curious as to if my family will be too tired trying to squeeze everything in.
    We have been to WDW numerous times and have been on all the "classics". But are the attractions in the studios park a must see?

Also, my family usually does a sit down meal at WDW when we go. This year, we're planning on doing it for dinner as we're staying for the entire day. What is recommended? (preferably in the park, I guess one for each depending on the above).

Lastly, my son really wants to ride the Eurostar, and seeing as we are staying in Paris, it seems to make sense. Is it a hassle to take the train compared to driving/ other modes?

Thanks for your help!
    See you this summer.
    My daughter loved it. the train stops right outside the park. They thought even though they have been to Disneyland a zillion times that the Euro Disney was fantastic.

here is a link to some of her photos. Stange, the park closed at 5 pm. check the schedules.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzu...7625930874247/
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Firstly, are you sure he wants to ride the Eurostar? You know that train will take you to London, England, right?

I highly suggest that you do take the RER Regional Train (Line A4 goes directly from the city centre to the gates of the park). They drive every 20-30 minutes from early in the morning to late in the night, and you won't have to worry about renting a car/parking. The park itself is around 40 minutes by train from the city, and it is undeniably the best way to reach the park.

You'll be going during high season, so I recommend choosing your day wisely (i.e. avoid Fri-Sat-Sun, prefer Tuesday. I am sure that in the summer opening times are late week-round). The 2-day park tickets are around 15 euros more expensive than the 1 day park. If you have visited Disney Studios in Florida, the only new experiences (worth your time and money) are Cinemagique, Crush's Coaster and the new Ratatouille Ride. These, in my opinion, are very worth it. Apart from those you'll want to leave this misery of a park at any cost.
    Is any of your children in college? If so, they can get a greatly reduced 2 parks/1 day ticket taking advantage of the (not advertised) student discount.

I suggest that if you pick your day in advance, you get your tickets online. You'll save time and money. If you don't manage to, arrive at least one hour earlier than opening time and buy your tickets at the WDS booths. Even if you're not going to visit that park, you'll be able to get the same tickets and with shorter lines.

As for the dinner, I couldn't help you. I do recommend however you bring your own sandwiches, snacks and drinks as they are expensive inside the parks and allowed in a backpack.

Even if you have been to the Magic Kingdom in Florida and on all the "classics", a visit to DLP will be night and day to WDW. Imagine the Florida park but on steroids. All the versions of the ride are at least 2x prettier/more exciting.

Also, sadly, expect to see things you are not used to in the US parks, such as litter where it should never be allowed, rude guests who love pushing and smoking everywhere, and the occasional rude CM.

And most importantly, ENJOY!!! Disneyland Paris is truly a gem!

Quote Originally Posted by mtlchuck View Post
    Firstly, are you sure he wants to ride the Eurostar? You know that train will take you to London, England, right?
    It was to my understanding that the train continued from from Paris south to the park. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by mtlchuck View Post
    Also, sadly, expect to see things you are not used to in the US parks, such as litter where it should never be allowed, rude guests who love pushing and smoking everywhere, and the occasional rude CM.
    And thus I have been warned...

But nevertheless thank you for your assistance!

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by kuprtyasd View Post
    It was to my understanding that the train continued from from Paris south to the park. Is this correct?
    Yes, it goes from London St. Pancras (or Ashford, Kent) to Paris Gare du Nord or there is a direct service to Marne-la-Vallee (DLRP).

But you're looking at a 2hr (give or take) journey between London and Paris.
    Last edited by Hathaway Browne; 05-07-2014 at 07:56 AM. Reason: correcting the route

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Yes, I can see where you are coming from... Let me rephrase the train part. My son really wants to ride the Eurostar, but seeing as we are not going to London, it seems disney is the next best option.

• Bangarang!

Ah I see, you're staying in the city... as mtlchuck pointed out, its best to go on the RER to get to Disneyland Paris.

Shame for your son, if he's got his heart set on it, but if its any consolation the Eurostar station is right in the heart of the Esplanade - next to the entrance to Disney Village, so you can at least see the trains.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    Yes, it goes from London St. Pancras (or Ashford, Kent) to Paris Gare du Nord or there is a direct service to Marne-la-Vallee (DLRP).

But you're looking at a 2hr (give or take) journey between London and Paris.
    I guess that you could technically buy a ticket for a Eurostar Paris to London and just get off at the Disneyland Paris station. It will just be super expensive and you're wasting a trip to London!

I recall once I took a high speed train (TGV) from the South of France to Paris and we passed by DLP. I am not sure if it stopped at DLP, but we saw Space Mountain and TOT from the train which was fun.

I guess your son will forget all disappointment of not riding the Eurostar the moment he arrives to DLP anyhow

• Bangarang!

Not wanting to go too off topic, but I find it ironic that Paramount is planning to build its theme park at Ebbefleet (also on the Eurostar route), so in future ('19) you could theoretically start your day at 'Paramount London' and finish it off with Disneyland Paris (and Disney Dreams, naturally).

Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    Not wanting to go too off topic, but I find it ironic that Paramount is planning to build its theme park at Ebbefleet (also on the Eurostar route), so in future ('19) you could theoretically start your day at 'Paramount London' and finish it off with Disneyland Paris (and Disney Dreams, naturally).
    I just find it wonderful that Europe provides such amazing transport to theme parks! It has happened to me a couple of times in the states that I cant visit theme parks cause I dont have a car and i cant afford a 100$ cab ride.

Can you imagine a high speed train taking you from Miami to the gates of the Magic Kingdom in Orlando? Thats the wonder of the Eurostar for the Europeans.

The Paris Eurostar services don't stop at DLP, that is a separate service to London. The Eurostar trains themselves are very similar to the French TGV 'bullet trains' and the Belgian Thayles trains. These leave from Paris on various routes so you could always go for a short ride on one of these if you have time, maybe a day trip to Lille or Brussels.

if you know the day of your visit try to buy a Franciliien ticket, you can do this on line either from the French DLP website (use google translate if you need language help) or via FNAC stores in France. They are about 30% cheaper and you don't need to line up when you get to the park if you change your day you can pay the difference to turn it into a regular ticket when you get to the park.

hope you have a great time

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    The Paris Eurostar services don't stop at DLP, that is a separate service to London. The Eurostar trains themselves are very similar to the French TGV 'bullet trains' and the Belgian Thayles trains. These leave from Paris on various routes so you could always go for a short ride on one of these if you have time, maybe a day trip to Lille or Brussels.

if you know the day of your visit try to buy a Franciliien ticket, you can do this on line either from the French DLP website (use google translate if you need language help) or via FNAC stores in France. They are about 30% cheaper and you don't need to line up when you get to the park if you change your day you can pay the difference to turn it into a regular ticket when you get to the park.

hope you have a great time
    Are you sure you can pay the difference to turn it into a regular ticket in case you change your day? They seem to be very strict about the days for which these tickets are meant to be used, and it states they are non-refundable. If you buy them, I would strongly suggest not changing the date of your visit.

I actually have a similar question.

I am going for 1 day in June. I'm a regular for Disneyland and have been to WDW a few times. First time at DLP.

What do I need to make sure I see? Ride? Eat? I probably won't be back for a while and want to make sure I don't miss anything I should've done.

Also, on the main Disneyland Paris website, they have tickets that include a roundtrip shuttle from the center of Paris. Has anyone done this? Is it a good idea? We were going to need transport from the middle of Paris anyway, but I was wondering if it was as convenient as it seems.

Thanks!

• Munchings & Crunchings

I'll add myself into this mix as well, since I'm going to be studying for the summer in Paris and of course want to spend at least a day at DLRP.

Mtlchuck, you said something about a student rate for tickets? I've never heard that before, college students are eligible as well?

I've heard that the Metro stops running around midnight, but if I stay late at DLRP and take the RER home, I should still have no problems, right? I suppose I could always take a cab from Gare du Nord if I get back too late.

I'm especially excited that I'll be there when the Ratatouille ride opens! Of course that means I have to visit after July 10th, but that's not a problem. So, Cinemagique is still at the park? Is Animagique still there as well? I'd maybe like to see that...or did Crush's Coaster replace it? I'll avoid ToT because I've ridden the WDW and DCA versions already, and I have no interest in the Toy Story Playland or anything else. So maybe I can do both parks in a day? I'd like to be able to see everything in Disneyland though, because so much of it is different from the American parks. I hope I have enough time.

For both previous posts, Ill copy-paste (and add as well some extra) advise I gave to someone with the same questions some time ago :

On a quiet day you can easily visit both parks and ride most of their attractions. Given that you're going on peak season, this would be my advise:

Buy tickets in advance or online. Yes, there is a (great) discount for college students! I dont think it can be applied when purchasing online, but the best bet would be visiting the Disney Store on Champs Elysees and asking there since tickets are also sold there. In case they dont apply thr student deal and you would like to get it (and who wouldnt when for around 50€ you get 2 parks 1 day!) and thus save some solid 40€:

1. Check the opening hour of the parks on the day youll visit and be there at least one hour earlier. Regarding the bus, I have never taken it but I would not. Train schedules are way more precise and reliable than buses (i.e. Trains dont experience traffic). As said, the RER will take you straight from Paris (it passes through more than one station, including Chatelet) to the gates of the park.

2. Once you're there, in case you don't have tickets, buy them at the WDS booths. Less people and exactly the same as the Magic Kingdom booths (I assume the castle park is also a Magic Kingdom in DLP?). As I say they dont advertise the student discount at all, so just say you're a student and wave your ID, they'll check its validity (they made a copy of mine but I guess it was because it wasnt French or even European).

3. Enter WDS. I remember that they let us in around 15-20 minutes earlier than the official opening time. Absolutely run to Crush's Coaster as soon as you enter the park. The park is quite tiny so its a 3 minute run from the main gate. Either ride it or grab a Fastpass then go to Ratatouille. You could do this vice-versa but make sure to grab a Fastpass for one first then run to linenup for the other one. There are Cinemagiique shows every 45 minutes I believe. Catch a presentation then head to Disneyland. Dont waste your time in Armageddon or Moteurs, Action, or anything else. I didnt watch Animagique but I understood its more of a cute clever kiddy show.

4. The entrance to Disneyland is literally 5 minutes away from WDS. Go in the park and head left and ask where the Liberty Arcade is (it is tucked away towards the end of the left side of Main Street facing the castle). Take a moment to appreciate this gorgeous arcade which will take you to Frontierland. Take a fastpass for Big Thunder Mountain then visit Phantom Manor. Ride it a couple times to enjoy most details then head back to BTMR. Go north to Adventureland. I wouldnt recommend Indiana Jones (painful), but dont miss Pirates. Head right to the hub and towards Discoveryland and get a FP for Space Mountain. Skip Star Tours and enjoy the Nautilus walkthrough. Dont bother with Buzz Lightyear if you have on it in the states.

Go to Fantasyland and enjoy the unique things such as Alices Labyrinth. Make sure to visit the castle's dragon lair and to tour around the upper levels. There are even balconies from which you get great views of Fantasyland. Return to Discoveryland and ride Space-Mountain. Re-ride Space Mountain if the regular line is not more than 30 mins long. Its the BEST atteaction in the resort! Then return to Fantasyland and RUN to get a fast pass for Peter Pan. Enjoy IASW and rides such as Pinnochio and the Casey Junior if you haven't visited Disneyland in California. Ride Peter Pan when it is time.

Then take the time to enjoy all the details you might have missed in all lands, including the Adventure Isle and the Discovery Arcade. Fantasyland closes a couple of hours earlier than the rest of the park for Disney Dreams! Also, dont miss Disney Dreams!!! It hands down beats anything the US parks have ever done!

5. Food-wise, I believe the buffet deals were reasonable if you have some €€ and lots of hunger (i believe its all you can eat for 33€). I have eaten twice at Fuente del Oro in Frontierland and, even though not the best, it was good to relief the hunger. If not survive on snacks... Hehehe. Check the thread on restaurants as well for other people's tips

6. Merchandise-wise, sadly theres nothing inside the parks you cant get at the Disney Village stores, with exception of mayyyybe one or two items (like personalized glasses from one of the Main Street Stores or blown glass items from the castle store). I would leave shopping for Main Street after Disney Dreams as they leave the stores open for that purpose

7. Returning to Paris: Paris has probably one of the best transport systems of any city I have visited. I am sure the RER runs at least until midnight, and the metro runs until 1 AM at least as well. I wouldnt like to miss a last RER to the city, but if once you are back the metro is over, a taxi ride shouldnt be too expensive as a last resort either.

Also, as a disclaimer, I have never visited DLP during the summer, only during Christmas season, so dont take my tips regarding the order of rides inside the Magic Kingdom literally! If you see that the line for a ride is too long, or you are just drawn to another area, trust your guts
    Last edited by mtlchuck; 05-08-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast