Space Mountain : Back To the Moon (2015)

Space Mountain is going to be refurbished at the end of the year. But the return of "De la Terre la Lune" is also rumored. The ride is going to be rethemed and the trains are likely to be replaced by brand new ones.

• Minion

Re: Space Mountain : Back To the Moon (2015)

I suppose its good news, although lost on me as I won't be riding.

It does strike me as odd that while its good that Indy and Space are getting refurbed, they seem to be changing things when it was not in desperate need.

I don't recall any fan calling for the Temple du Peril to be reconstructed in stone. And I think many could put up with Mission II if it meant instead that the funding went towards another new attraction in the resort.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Fantastic news. I loved the original space mountain. When I saw mission 2 last year I wasn't impressed and the ride was so jerky it made me sick. Anything that returns SM back to its former glory is fine by me

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    It does strike me as odd that while its good that Indy and Space are getting refurbed, they seem to be changing things when it was not in desperate need.

I don't recall any fan calling for the Temple du Peril to be reconstructed in stone.
    From what I've heard, it was needed as the original temple was deteriorating.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    From what I've heard, it was needed as the original temple was deteriorating.
    That's fair enough then. It would be a waste if it was just for aesthetic reasons.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

•   

​I would hate to have a piece of crumbling temple fall in my face on a fast moving train. It's about time.

• Not here to help

Just imagine what else needs to be fixed if something that looked as fine as it did like Indy is getting such a big renovation. I just wish they could have changed Indy a bit. It could need an indoor portion.

Space Mountain needs a new track.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Rock The World

Speaking as a former Temple of Peril Cast Member, I can assure you that, while it looked fine at first glance, I spotted some serious problems with the temple structure when I visited in December. The outer concrete layer has always been prone to flaking and cracking, requiring a lot of maintenance to keep it looking good. During my visit, I spotted a lot of sections where this layer had broken away, exposing the wire mesh and foam innards beneath. A lot of the upper sections of the Temple were also covered in (fairly discreet) safety netting, to stop bits of the Temple dropping onto the ride track. (Luckily, Temple of Peril is one of the few places in the park where such netting doesn’t break the theme). It’s worth remembering that this was built as a temporary structure, 20 years ago – it’s stood up remarkably well under the circumstances but DLP had to do something radical to prevent any further deterioration. Rebuilding in stone means they will save a lot of time, effort and money in the long run. Most guests will never know the difference of course, but I really welcome the change. (Although I agree with Timmy that it’s a shame they didn’t add a few extra show elements at the same time).

As for Space Mountain, a very well placed friend of mine has confirmed that DLP plan to return the ride to its De la Terra la Lune storyline (with more modern show technology, of course), but that the project has yet to be assigned a budget. This means that, while there is a definite will to see this happen, it’s not yet been green-lit. However, we can expect to see some Space Mountain: De la Terra la Lune themed merchandise hitting the resort in the next year or so!
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

• Minion

Indy only needs a temple renovation to fix the facade. Space Mountain will probably keep the same track but get new cars.