• Minion

Why is Disneyland Paris the red headed stepchild of the parks?

Why is Disneyland Paris almost not even included with the rest of the resorts? It feels like, and has for awhile now, that Disneyland Paris doesn't even have anything to do with Disney. It feels like, and has for awhile now, that it is a completely different company to the Walt Disney Company. The idea that Tom Staggs has any power over Disneyland Paris feels alien.

Why and how did this happen?

• Under that tree again!

Re: Why is Disneyland Paris the red headed stepchild of the parks?

1. Disney owns all of the US resorts but only a part of the others.

2. DLP is second rate because the management or CMs do a poor job taking care of it.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Banned User

I've heard from a friend who travels abroad and has some experience in attending that park that the employee unions run the park so much that the experience favors what's "fair" to the CM and not to the customer. If you enjoy going to a park that lets you know you're #2, then DLP may be the place to go.

I may not be using the correct term by calling it an employee union but that's the generalized term I'll use until someone here can explain the backend business arrangement at DLP behind the scenes.

• Minion

Don't forget to add to the list of 'reasons' the financial issues. I'd imagine that the constant debt problem does make it unpopular in some circles in the Burbank building.

Its not something that you can just throw money at. Especially with 7 hotels to fill.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

I have actually enjoyed my visits to DLP more than my last WDW visit in 2012. DLP may struggle financially, but execs treat WDW in the exact same way in many ways (huge lack of new attractions, overpriced everything, boring generic homogenized merchandise...)

Actually, if you compare WDW to DLP, in the last years DLP has received Disney Dreams (the most amazing Disney show probably since Fantasmic), Crush's Coaster (unique, fun and exclusive to DLP) as well as the soon-to-open Ratatouille ride (which should live up to the hype).

WDW on the other hand has gotten: ride clones, expansion that are nothing but restaurants and meets and greets, Everest with a broken Yeti since 2005, and the Dwarf Mine Coaster (Crush's Coaster literally CRUSHES the Dwarf Mine Coaster).

In my opinion, the only thing DLP needs seriously lacks is 1. better maintenance and cleaning (many dirty spaces and broken effects) and a facelift for WDS. If you visit WDW, you can see how every park is stuck in the decade it was constructed (Magic Kingdom in the 70's, EPCOT is rather a shadow of its 80s glory, and Hollywood Studios in the 90s).

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by mtlchuck View Post
    I have actually enjoyed my visits to DLP more than my last WDW visit in 2012. DLP may struggle financially, but execs treat WDW in the exact same way in many ways (huge lack of new attractions, overpriced everything, boring generic homogenized merchandise...)

Actually, if you compare WDW to DLP, in the last years DLP has received Disney Dreams (the most amazing Disney show probably since Fantasmic), Crush's Coaster (unique, fun and exclusive to DLP) as well as the soon-to-open Ratatouille ride (which should live up to the hype).

WDW on the other hand has gotten: ride clones, expansion that are nothing but restaurants and meets and greets, Everest with a broken Yeti since 2005, and the Dwarf Mine Coaster (Crush's Coaster literally CRUSHES the Dwarf Mine Coaster).

In my opinion, the only thing DLP needs seriously lacks is 1. better maintenance and cleaning (many dirty spaces and broken effects) and a facelift for WDS. If you visit WDW, you can see how every park is stuck in the decade it was constructed (Magic Kingdom in the 70's, EPCOT is rather a shadow of its 80s glory, and Hollywood Studios in the 90s).
    I think that DLP needs a whole lot more than than that.

CM's are rude and kill the feeling of being welcomed. They let people smoke and step wherever they want. A CM told my friend when she asked if her children could meet Mickey "This is not America".

DLP got a projection on the castle and some fountains that they turn on to the sound of some music. That is all. Everything else is either falling apart or looking the way it looked when it was built... but older.
    WDS has Crush... yea. Old news. WDS is not in need of a facelift. It need a complete makeover. The only part of the park that is OK is the Ratatouille ride and the entrance. Everything else just looks terrible and does not in anyway signal Disney.

DLP does not even feel like Disney. I have been in all Disneyparks and I can tell you that the place they have built outside Paris is not a real Disneyland. Even tiny HKDL beats DLP when it comes to that true Disney feeling and class. Tokyo Disneyland may have an ugly looking Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. But everything looks like it was built this year. It is all clean and painted. WDW may have it's faults... many of them. But that place is HUGE. No wonder some things need attention... there is soo much to fix. Let's not compare Hollywood Studios to the parkinglot they call Walt Disney Studios in France. DLP is one park... and almost everything is wrong in one way or another there.

What century does DisneySEA signal to you?
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 05-21-2014 at 02:56 PM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    It feels like, and has for awhile now, that it is a completely different company to the Walt Disney Company.
    Disneyland Paris is and always has been owned by Euro Disney SCA. The Walt Disney Company is a minority owner and controls management, but financially Euro Disney SCA has always been treated as an independent company.

Tom Staggs, John Lasseter and Bob Iger will come in Paris in July in order to open Ratatouille L'Aventure Totalement Toquee de Remy and to discuss the future of the resort.

• Minion

^Good news, lets hope Uncle Bob brings his cheque book with him.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• former CM

Hopefully the Ratatouille attraction will surpass Tokyo's Pooh, will become popular and more than pay for itself. Then Disneyland Paris will look at
    Tokyo Disney Sea,
    The Wizarding World of Harry Potter,
    and Carsland
    and realize that if they invest a lot wisely they'll be rewarded.

Interesting to hear all of this.. I've always viewed DLP as one of the most beautiful parks (at least the most beautiful castle) with a cool Fantasyland and an awesome Tomorrowland. And all the videos I've seen around the Frontierland area and Phantom Manor also look pretty cool. Maybe it's just the camera hiding the blemishes? I can't say since I've never been, though really want to go!

As for the rude CM's I'll just say that... it's France, so what do you expect?
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Hopefully the Ratatouille attraction will surpass Tokyo's Pooh, will become popular and more than pay for itself. Then Disneyland Paris will look at
    Tokyo Disney Sea,
    The Wizarding World of Harry Potter,
    and Carsland
    and realize that if they invest a lot wisely they'll be rewarded.
    The thing is I don't think Disneyland Paris can invest. They don't have the bank balance or the profits to pay for anything on the scale of the DCA makeover, something it sorely needs more than even DCA did. They'd need the Walt Disney company to stump up big time which isn't happening anything soon.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    Interesting to hear all of this.. I've always viewed DLP as one of the most beautiful parks (at least the most beautiful castle) with a cool Fantasyland and an awesome Tomorrowland. And all the videos I've seen around the Frontierland area and Phantom Manor also look pretty cool. Maybe it's just the camera hiding the blemishes? I can't say since I've never been, though really want to go!

I think DLP is the most beautiful of all Disney parks: Here's my most recent trip report with tons of photos. BTW- I have a pretty tough time giving Disney a pass on mediocre things. But I can appreciate beauty when its there, too.
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

There is no competition for DLP in Europe, so money won't be put there. WDS needs something bigger than what DCA got. The problem is Disney is not a majority owner, and there are financial issues. Also, just want to say, 7 hotels. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post

DLP was a beautiful park, probably the most beautiful magic kingdom built, like all parks it has it faults, there is no tiki or country bear type animatronic show for example, but overall it managed to blend the charm of the original Disneyland with the grandeur of the Magic Kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland to create something new. When I first visited in 2002 I thought it was a charming park. Going back last year I was really disappointed large areas of the park were dirty and falling apart. Paint was chipping, wood cracked or missing and large parts of rides, like phantom manor's hit hiking ghosts, were completely absent. The food was awful, restaurants closed hours before the rest of the park and you jest felt tired and exploited, it really was the worst Disney day I'd ever spent and made me feel upset at the state of the park.

Im sure DLP could go from black sheep to darling of the Disney fold but it will take a lot of money and time and I'm not sure that the suits at the top really care while DLP is still popular